Player Suggestion Left Wing Backs

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

What about that kid that was in the Wales squad fairly recently?
Can't rely on him next year. 1. He may play LCB 2. Who knows what impact the long term injury has on his game, and his availability. We can't risk trotting out Max Lowe in the PL next season.

Apart from around 10 games from RND last season LWB has been a weak link since Enda lost his fitness after the first PL season. This is one of the most important recruitments, being limited to only attacking down the right like we were in the 2nd PL season will guarantee relegation.

I'd like to see us solve the position for the next 3-4 years.

If its true about RND detaching his achilles then he's probably fucked at PL level unfortunately

He'd be LCB anyway..... but this means we'll definitely have to sign one

Yeah, that was kind of tongue in cheek but filling the LCB role is a much higher priority

I see Lowe as a weaker link than Robbo. Ideally we upgrade both, but if I had a choice it would be Lowe.

So why would you not bring in a LCB as a priority, and what part of Lowe's (or RND's, for that matter) game are you looking to upgrade?

If you upgrade LCB, it not only helps defensively on that side of the park (not that modern day wing backs are expected to contribute THAT much defensively, especially when playing 3 CB's, heck, Alexander-Arnold can't even spell defending but he still plays every week in a 4), but assuming you get someone with the slightest bit of pace it also helps to cover the enormous weakness that is Egan being exploitable to pace. If we have to start with Egan, new LCB and Lowe/RND first game, I wouldn't really care, if we had to start with Egan, JLT and new LWB, I'm thinking we're 1-0 down at least from the start - especially if we don't bring back Doyle or bring in another central mid that can offer true defensive contributions, which we simply don't have at the club right now

if were as skint as the vibes were hearing think hecky will go with rnd if fit and lowe as back up there is more important positions that need strenghening i.e. goalkeeper midfield and strikers

So why would you not bring in a LCB as a priority, and what part of Lowe's (or RND's, for that matter) game are you looking to upgrade?

If you upgrade LCB, it not only helps defensively on that side of the park (not that modern day wing backs are expected to contribute THAT much defensively, especially when playing 3 CB's, heck, Alexander-Arnold can't even spell defending but he still plays every week in a 4), but assuming you get someone with the slightest bit of pace it also helps to cover the enormous weakness that is Egan being exploitable to pace. If we have to start with Egan, new LCB and Lowe/RND first game, I wouldn't really care, if we had to start with Egan, JLT and new LWB, I'm thinking we're 1-0 down at least from the start - especially if we don't bring back Doyle or bring in another central mid that can offer true defensive contributions, which we simply don't have at the club right now

• Lowe is not sufficiently good on the ball. Attacks break down when they go through him in the championship, he doesn't think quickly enough, can't beat a man unless its in a straight line, has a poor first touch, and isn't accurate passing into pressure. That's going to become a bigger problem in the PL where he will unable to be an outlet on the left side.
  • I remember how 1 sided we were in the 2nd PL season. We can't afford to be that one sided (with everything going down the right) again. Its too easy to defend, it means we can't relieve pressure when opponents dominate us.
  • Lowe has athleticism but doesn't read the game well, which is why his tackle stats are so high.
  • I simply don't understand the concern with Egan, who performed very well for us in the PL. In fact there isn't a player in our team I am less concerned about than Egan (even Ili needs to prove himself at the next level in a team with 30-40% possession). There are, of course ,strikers in the PL that have ridiculous pace, but we are not going to be able to bring in a 50m CB to keep up with them.
  • Robbo has played well under Hecky. I'm not going to pretend I think he is PL quality, he is particularly lacking on the ball, but in his position he can afford to just play it safe and punt it in a way that a LWB can't. I am more willing to wait on RND in this position than LWB (but still really want us to bring in a new LCB!!)

2914F4E2-4CEB-417C-8074-96F4CDDC2FFF.png

Just wanted to ‘plant’ the seed!

Can’t be genuinely say I’ve seen very much / any of him play

But Leif Davis - young left back (23), who’s seemingly also played at centreback and posted some very good attacking numbers in league 1.

Might be too much of a step up but I thin 14 assists and 3 goals in 43 games.

View attachment 160699

But Leif Davis - young left back (23), who’s seemingly also played at centreback and posted some very good attacking numbers in league 1.

Saw that as well. Massive step up from a poor L1. But I'm up for anything 😂

Saw that as well. Massive step up from a poor L1. But I'm up for anything 😂

Takes a mean corner

In all seriousness the jump may be too much but that said in the right system I’m not sure how much of a jump it actually is.

Most players at champ / league 1 have at least passable technical skill levels. Players like basham, baldock, stevens, JOC, Fleck all made the jump from league one and never looked out of place. But I guess they all proved themselves at championship levels in between.

Last edited:
View attachment 160699

He’s been a top player in league one this year along with Cashin of Derby but with them going up he might be pricey.

I don't want us to rely on RND whatsoever next season. It could take him months to get back to where he was. Anything more is a bonus.

We need starters in at LCB and LWB.
Robinson and Lowe aren't up to it over a full season.

Jay Dasilva is out of contract at Bristol City this summer

I don't want us to rely on RND whatsoever next season. It could take him months to get back to where he was. Anything more is a bonus.

We need starters in at LCB and LWB.
Robinson and Lowe aren't up to it over a full season.
Whether we need it or not, I can't see it. I can see 1 coming in but not 2.

Whether we need it or not, I can't see it. I can see 1 coming in but not 2.

Heckingbottom has already hinted that his meeting over the transfer budget didn't go brilliantly.
Words along the lines of "I told them what I thought was needed, they have other ideas but we can't just accept that."

Heckingbottom has already hinted that his meeting over the transfer budget didn't go brilliantly.
Words along the lines of "I told them what I thought was needed, they have other ideas but we can't just accept that."
Is this from the meeting in Geneva today or a previous quote?

I would put RND as a perm replacement for JoC, and look for 2x LWB
well he could definetly slot in at lcb no doubt about it but i like his aggression and blistering pace down our left side and doubt our centre backs will be doing much overlapping next season

I quite like the idea of Manning.

You've then got a good left and right balance of one slightly more create option - Bogle/Manning and one take bo prisoners option - Baldock/Norrington-Davies. You've then got Lowe who also had decent numbers going forwards but was frequently targeted at the back. Is Manning better defensively than him?

Jamal Lewis is shocking, only ever passes backwards.
Lowe is ok going forwards, but seems to look lost once he loses the ball, RND or a newcomer next season,imo

James Justin is a player I'd look at if Leicester go down as expected. A right footer but comfortable on the left and able to cover both sides.

In contract (1 year left I think) so would incur a fee.

Very highly rated while at Luton, suffered a few injuries and not really broken through at Leicester. Still only 25 and would increase in value if he does well.

Justin did his cruciate. Damaged goods. They barely ever come back properly.... its a depressing reality

Can't find the tweets now, but after suggesting Manning a few weeks back I read that the main reason he turned down a new deal at Swansea was he was after 50k a week.

Quick scan of twitter looks like Burnley fans are all keen, and Leeds too

I would put RND as a perm replacement for JoC, and look for 2x LWB
I don't think we can plan on RND filling that role next season. Currently (as far as fans are aware) no idea how he'll come back from injury. Whilst he showed a few decent performances pre injury he's no where near JOC's ability as a LCB, so in an ideal world we'd need better anyway. Clearly we have to cut our cloth accordingly, but I think it's a stretch to think RND was a PL standard LCB pre injury.

Justin did his cruciate. Damaged goods. They barely ever come back properly.... its a depressing reality
ACL injuries aren't always as debilitating as they used to be. Plenty of players have overcome them with little/no impact to their pace and mobility more recently. Achilles injuries tend to be more problematic now (through hopefully not for RND!).

Back
Top Bottom