Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Many thanks for posting that - I did not know that story, which I found really interesting. I saw him play just twice, against Blackpool (my first ever game), and Huddersfield, which I know now was his last home game. 4-3 and 6-3 defeats, but 6-year-old me was hooked. So I never saw him score a goal, and don’t even remember him going in goal in the Huddersfield match. But I do remember that he was well thought of for his role in promotion the season before. I think I always assumed that he had come to the natural end of his career; I had no idea it was serious illness.
DF80CC58-D620-435E-8626-FC05953F7816.jpegEA20C4D0-4557-40C7-87C1-3AC6EF9DAE85.jpegE2A63338-5ECB-4D84-A6FF-2651FB7FE9CC.jpeg089E0459-93A7-4355-A6BA-A2BC1BD28EDF.jpeg

Many thanks for posting that - I did not know that story, which I found really interesting. I saw him play just twice, against Blackpool (my first ever game), and Huddersfield, which I know now was his last home game. 4-3 and 6-3 defeats, but 6-year-old me was hooked. So I never saw him score a goal, and don’t even remember him going in goal in the Huddersfield match. But I do remember that he was well thought of for his role in promotion the season before. I think I always assumed that he had come to the natural end of his career; I had no idea it was serious illness.
View attachment 148249View attachment 148250View attachment 148251View attachment 148252
Wow, what a first game for you. Mathews & Mortensen, England CH Johnston + ex Blade Eddie Shinwell, along with Scotland international George Farm, not forgetting Sir James Hagan, aka 'God', where we stood, Terrace just BL side of player's entrance.
I also was there, Stanley wore a shirt with no number on it and from memory it was a good game to watch, nip & tuck. Plenty for us young'uns to learn from with all the quality on the pitch, I were 11.
I can't remember the Huddersfield match, possibly the score line erased it from memory. :oops:
Interesting Browning went in goal, thanks for that. Huddersfield's. Don McEvoy went to SWFC later.
Programme photo, for that game, V SWFC, is such a quality one. United still not rebuilt the 1940 Blitzed section of the JSS. Browning showing his tenacity and giving McIntosh some grief, Jimmy Hagan awaiting the outcome of the clash with Rawson in the background and a crowd of 54,463. Cannot name the other 3 SWFC players. Flag on the Kop, same design as in SB's post, 24,636, and possibly declared Blades as 2nd Div Champions, with a replica on BL end of JSS.

Wow, what a first game for you. Mathews & Mortensen, England CH Johnston + ex Blade Eddie Shinwell, along with Scotland international George Farm, not forgetting Sir James Hagan, aka 'God', where we stood, Terrace just BL side of player's entrance.
I also was there, Stanley wore a shirt with no number on it and from memory it was a good game to watch, nip & tuck. Plenty for us young'uns to learn from with all the quality on the pitch, I were 11.
I can't remember the Huddersfield match, possibly the score line erased it from memory. :oops:
Interesting Browning went in goal, thanks for that. Huddersfield's. Don McEvoy went to SWFC later.
Programme photo, for that game, V SWFC, is such a quality one. United still not rebuilt the 1940 Blitzed section of the JSS. Browning showing his tenacity and giving McIntosh some grief, Jimmy Hagan awaiting the outcome of the clash with Rawson in the background and a crowd of 54,463. Cannot name the other 3 SWFC players. Flag on the Kop, same design as in SB's post, 24,636, and possibly declared Blades as 2nd Div Champions, with a replica on BL end of JSS.
I was at the Bramall Lane end for my first few games, I assume my dad regarded it as safer there, as the crowds were big. Neighbours had got a TV for the Coronation, so we got to watch the Matthew’s Cup Final on telly (also 4-3), and I think I nagged him to death to take me to watch the Blackpool game. One incident I remember from the Huddersfield match, that nobody has yet confirmed, but which made a big impression on me, was an example of Hagan demonstrating that non-lethal violence can sometimes be justified. He got a free-kick attacking the Lane End, and wanted to take it quickly; the defender was playing silly beggars, not moving back more than 3 or 4 yards, so Hagan, with pinpoint accuracy, drove the ball straight into the defender’s nether regions. The poor bloke crumpled to the floor in agony, which satisfied my childish sense of humour, and sense of justice. I often wish our players would try that occasionally- the opponent should get an automatic yellow card into the bargain.
The other picture of Hagan you posted is brilliant- never seen it before.

Missus is away so tonight's tea was gammon steak, two lamb steaks, chips and peas, washed down with a bottle of ale, in front of The Big Match - Chelsea v The Blades from September 1973. Great come from behind win with goals from TC and Woody. Brian Moore not being able to tell the difference between Len Badger, Ted Hemsley and John Flynn, and Malcolm Allison eulogising about TC afterwards, saying that he had to be in the England team to face Poland later that month. Hmm, that went well then (kids, ask yer da).

Some screen grabs with the greatest Blades kit of all time.

IMG-20221122-205222.jpg

IMG-20221122-210341.jpg

Hd8JYQt.jpg

Missus is away so tonight's tea was gammon steak, two lamb steaks, chips and peas, washed down with a bottle of ale, in front of The Big Match - Chelsea v The Blades from September 1973. Great come from behind win with goals from TC and Woody. Brian Moore not being able to tell the difference between Len Badger, Ted Hemsley and John Flynn, and Malcolm Allison eulogising about TC afterwards, saying that he had to be in the England team to face Poland later that month. Hmm, that went well then (kids, ask yer da).

Some screen grabs with the greatest Blades kit of all time.

IMG-20221122-205222.jpg

IMG-20221122-210341.jpg

Hd8JYQt.jpg
The day I got married, my dad bought me The Green Un and I read it in bed.
Unbelievably we’re still together.😳

A very old photo!

Anyone know who this is/whether or not he is a Blades player? Obviously, it could easily be the S6 lot or Sunderland etc...thought his face looked familiar but no one springs to mind from the Blades teams of the early 1900's.

Tight shorts!

UTB

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 42
A very old photo!

Anyone know who this is/whether or not he is a Blades player? Obviously, it could easily be the S6 lot or Sunderland etc...thought his face looked familiar but no one springs to mind from the Blades teams of the early 1900's.

Tight shorts!

UTB
Dont think it is a Blade player

A very old photo!

Tight shorts!

UTB
Think he must have been Qatari as that's some impressive cameltoe he's got going on! :eek:

Bit late to this thread but I , too, was at the early fifties, Blackpool (3-4) defeat- about 2 steps back - behind the Kop goal. I do remember that Jimmy had a good game and did try to mark Stan Matthews out of it- which seemed unusual.
Also, regarding Len Browning, I remember, again in early fifties, his scoring a towering header to beat Arsenal 1-0 who may have been top at the time. This time I watched from the cricket pavilion as there was a crowd of 51,000+. As mentioned above , I never knew he suffered from TB. Just shows that internal news was as hard to come by as it is now. Thanks to the poster for the photos.

Bit late to this thread but I , too, was at the early fifties, Blackpool (3-4) defeat- about 2 steps back - behind the Kop goal. I do remember that Jimmy had a good game and did try to mark Stan Matthews out of it- which seemed unusual.
Also, regarding Len Browning, I remember, again in early fifties, his scoring a towering header to beat Arsenal 1-0 who may have been top at the time. This time I watched from the cricket pavilion as there was a crowd of 51,000+. As mentioned above , I never knew he suffered from TB. Just shows that internal news was as hard to come by as it is now. Thanks to the poster for the photos.
The programme for the Blackpool match (post 24647 above) has a report on the Arsenal match the previous Monday. Arsenal were league champions. Hope this brings back a few memories:
44BDE49D-935D-4C23-8115-A3583177E218.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom