Outgoing? John Fleck

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

One of my all time recent favourites he’s been too hit and miss post Covid , Berge or fleck no brainer? Be sad if true but we need to move on.

I think it's completely wrong to say he hasn't played well for 2 years. He had some exceptional games last season (Peterborough H, Hull A, Boro H, QPR H, Forest A) but he is very inconsistent these days. We do need to improve on him but I'd be wary of letting him go without a decent replacement. He's not fallen off a cliff like Ends Stevens has or anything. He is still capable of good performances.

I agree with you. As you said on the pod, he doesn't belong in the same bracket as Stevens. Fleck will perform in patches across the season and be a mixture of poor, average and excellent.

I just think we are often guilty of keeping players way past their peaks until they become worthless to us and then leave on a free.
We need to get better at identifying that sweet spot of when a player is in decline but still hold some market value that we can used to improve the squad. Ferguson was the master at it.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Baldock, Egan, Stevens, Fleck, Osborn, McBurnie etc. all walk away from here on free transfers.

I agree with you. As you said on the pod, he doesn't belong in the same bracket as Stevens. Fleck will perform in patches across the season and be a mixture of poor, average and excellent.

I just think we are often guilty of keeping players way past their peaks until they become worthless to us and then leave on a free.
We need to get better at identifying that sweet spot of when a player is in decline but still hold some market value that we can used to improve the squad. Ferguson was the master at it.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Baldock, Egan, Stevens, Fleck, Osborn, McBurnie etc. all walk away from here on free transfers.

I'd agree with that other than Egan and probably Baldock. I see no reason why Egan couldn't be with us for a very long time. He's not going to get his move away from us into the Prem (would have happened last summer), and as long as we offer him a sensible wage, reflecting the fact he's a very good Championship level centre half, why wouldn't he sign on? Might be a decrease on his current package, but if he were to sign a new contract, it will mean we've been in the Championship for 3 or 4 years, so Prem wages should be waved goodbye. Similarly, if we go up, we may well look to replace him, but he'd be good backup, and we should be able to get a few bob for him from a Championship side should we sell.

Baldock again, I think we could sell for a fee if we wanted to. I don't know when his contract expires, mind.

Enda, Fleck, Ozzy, McB - I see nobody other than perhaps the Middlesbrough manager being daft enough to offer us a fee for them, with the wage packet they'll be earning/

This is a good and important point

We can't afford to give everyone away. But it seems to be our custom

And if we can't lose them for free we'll send them out on loan deals until we can

We should maybe let him go and then sign someone to replace..... Norwood

Because Doyle is likely Flecks replacement

Or if the best player we can sign is more like a replacement for Fleck then just do that instead. All depends what's available for me

I'd agree with that other than Egan and probably Baldock. I see no reason why Egan couldn't be with us for a very long time. He's not going to get his move away from us into the Prem (would have happened last summer), and as long as we offer him a sensible wage, reflecting the fact he's a very good Championship level centre half, why wouldn't he sign on? Might be a decrease on his current package, but if he were to sign a new contract, it will mean we've been in the Championship for 3 or 4 years, so Prem wages should be waved goodbye. Similarly, if we go up, we may well look to replace him, but he'd be good backup, and we should be able to get a few bob for him from a Championship side should we sell.

Baldock again, I think we could sell for a fee if we wanted to. I don't know when his contract expires, mind.

Enda, Fleck, Ozzy, McB - I see nobody other than perhaps the Middlesbrough manager being daft enough to offer us a fee for them, with the wage packet they'll be earning/

I don't think we disagree.

We could get a fee for Baldock and Egan. But we haven't / won't. My point is that I wouldn't be surprised if we kept them well into their decline periods and then they leave on free transfers.

Can anyone who was at West Bromwich last night advise how Alex Mowatt played ? Apparently he's unsettled due to not being a first pick under Steve Bruce.
Possible moves John Fleck to Middlesbrough (it would be sad but if he can get a three year contract he will be interested) replaced by Mowatt, he does like a tackle and we are short of that in centre mid

Can anyone who was at West Bromwich last night advise how Alex Mowatt played ? Apparently he's unsettled due to not being a first pick under Steve Bruce.
Possible moves John Fleck to Middlesbrough (it would be sad but if he can get a three year contract he will be interested) replaced by Mowatt, he does like a tackle and we are short of that in centre mid
Great shout. Mowatt improves our midfield and he'd be back local being a Donny lad.

We'll probably find out soon enough if there's any truth to this rumour. If he's not in the squad on Sunday then perhaps he is off. If he is included, then that's another rumour for the rubbish bin.

If he’s off and we have a replacement lined up, then I’m happy with that. If we are going with Osborn, then it’s a bad deal for us.

Mowatt would be a good obvious replacement but would WBA sell to us..... doubt it. Where else does he go though if not to a decent championship team

Mowatt would be a good obvious replacement but would WBA sell to us..... doubt it. Where else does he go though if not to a decent championship team

A fair shout and would be a better bet than Osborn at left mid (as would my Nan!) - would he have played for PH whilst at Barnsley?

Boro are meant to be in for him which makes sense if they're also sounding out Fleck's availability.

He was OK, a lot of West Broms play went through him....would be a good addition but Doyle is surely Flecks replacement

He was OK, a lot of West Broms play went through him....would be a good addition but Doyle is surely Flecks replacement
Think Mowatt is more left footed and may be he is known to the manager from Leeds? He's a bit more physical than Tommy Doyle as well

If Boro are offering even a half decent fee then he should leave with every Blades blessing.

What a signing by Wilder and an absolute star of our rapid rise through the divisions and the first season in the Premier.

However I feel age, covid, injury and the nasty incident at Reading has caught up with him.

If we can bank a bit of money and he can get one last good contract then that's good business for all sides. He can walk away head held high as a Blades legend along the lines of Duffy.

This could be a good shout. Good all round midfielder, going back to a manager he did well under. Would not break the bank and still has few years in.

I think it's completely wrong to say he hasn't played well for 2 years. He had some exceptional games last season (Peterborough H, Hull A, Boro H, QPR H, Forest A) but he is very inconsistent these days. We do need to improve on him but I'd be wary of letting him go without a decent replacement. He's not fallen off a cliff like Ends Stevens has or anything. He is still capable of good performances.
You know what fair comment, I just struggle with the combination of nogood and wreck together ❤️

Could really see this happening with Fleck and Mowatt actually - if WBA are willing to let him leave

Well that was quick

Boro might be about to become the Forest of the championship

And yeah that will be the end of any interest in Fleck cos Wilder won't play 2 left footers together

I think we are pretty well stacked now in Midfield and I'm struggling to see where they all fit in. so removing fleck from the equation along with the fact he's likely to be the second highest earner in the midfield I think it all makes sense.

Nowt to be gained from me by sticking my neck out with something made up. Merely sharing info with others mate
Fair play. I hope it's true to be honest.

Fleck is undoubtedly one of my all time favourite Blades, however, he's been so inconsistent since lockdown... Sadly since lockdown he has had more poor games than good ones.

One of our highest earners presumably, and needed replacing this summer in an ideal world.

We'd obviously have to sign a replacement midfielder for the squad (though I imagine Doyle was replacing him in the starting 11).

Things change quickly.

Since Fleck did his Jimmy impression against Watford he did ok against Millwall and in the interim both Coulibaly and Osborn are out.

It would be too risky to offload him now.

I wouldn't be confident if we offloaded and then had to go looking.

As I mentioned on the free agent thread too, there are slim pickings in terms of the out of contract players.

Back
Top Bottom