Outgoing? John Fleck

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

TickhillBlades

Reaction score
Someone I trust enough to not bother telling me something like this unless they were pretty serious has told me Fleck to Middlesbrough is happening.

Surely our midfield squad depth cant handle this? What sort of money would people be expecting here?

Someone I trust enough to not bother telling me something like this unless they were pretty serious has told me Fleck to Middlesbrough is happening.

Surely our midfield squad depth cant handle this? What sort of money would people be expecting here?

Realistically it has to be good enough money to sell to a rival and to help us get someone else in on a permanent deal.

Ae they paying us or are we paying them?

In all seriousness, I've loved watching John Fleck, he was an instrumental part of our recent success but the last time I can remember him having a great game was when he scored 2 against Burnley.
haha ive seen a few share your opinion tbf but IMHO millwall and forest in the playoffs he's been good and theyre fairly recent. I'm probably more bothered were losing him as its a rival and theres some sentimental value in there but also I struggle to see how if we have limited to no budget yet, we can replace him and come off better.

Boro have lost Tavernier' recenty,is Jimmy his replacement.

This from Roygbiv Boro preview,a fan says.........“We have nowhere near the calibre of midfielders Wilder had at Sheff Utd and without Tav it lacks energy massively, doesn’t fill me full of confidence at all”

Time he moved on for his own sake, I think a move would do him and us some good at this stage. A shame as he was a favourite of mine to watch for 3 or 4 seasons but he looks stale and nothing like the player he was.

If it offers us the chance to bring in someone younger and able to get around the park a bit more then I wouldn't be too upset.

Time he moved on for his own sake, I think a move would do him and us some good at this stage. A shame as he was a favourite of mine to watch for 3 or 4 seasons but he looks stale and nothing like the player he was.

If it offers us the chance to bring in someone younger and able to get around the park a bit more then I wouldn't be too upset.
Do you think we would bring someone in? I wonder if we might be tempted to go with Doyle and then Blaster and Osborn as cover

Do you think we would bring someone in? I wonder if we might be tempted to go with Doyle and then Blaster and Osborn as cover
Probably depends what we want to do with Norwood longer term. Replacing those two should be at the top of the agenda given their age and contract situations. I think we'd need to invest in a permanent signing for continuities sake.

Probably depends what we want to do with Norwood longer term. Replacing those two should be at the top of the agenda given their age and contract situations. I think we'd need to invest in a permanent signing for continuities sake.
I think we’d have to
I think certainly we have to look at their replacements long term

If the money was right, I'd definitely sell. Some players are reaching the ends of their cycle with us and Fleck feels like he is one of them.
He's certainly declining in terms of his consistency.

If the money was right and we could bring in a younger, more hungry alternative I'd go for it.

Saddest part of this is that I kinda wish it were true.

It has been really sad to see his performances over the last two seasons, he clearly isn't the force he once was, I think the beginning of the end was the back injury he picked up in training with Scotland, & although people will point out he was good v Trees & QPR at the back end of last season it just isn't enough, often enough now. Same as the regular comments of "he always starts slow, needs a few games to get into his stride", we can't afford to give other teams a head start. If we had been on it at the start of last season we wouldn't have just missed out.

Don't read this the wrong way, he has been brilliant for us & was one of my favourite Blades players over the last few years, but I think it is time now.

I was kind of hoping we would sign a left sided permanent to start, giving Fleck the chance to win his place back, or otherwise be one of the best squad players in the league. Then equally hoping on the other side signing someone who could develop initially as an understudy to Norwood this season. If we let him go, which I doubt, we need to be bringing a permanent in. Even if they can both somehow give us on last good season, it's not going anywhere for us long term.

Am I the only one who wouldn't be upset by this?
I love fleck and has always been a Scottish hero... but he has 1 good game in 5 these days. He doesn't even take anyone on, he tends to just pass back. He is a lot slower and loses the ball more often, he struggles getting back.
People also slating osborn who runs his bollocks of for the red and white, not the best player but doesn't need slating on a fleck post.

Am I the only one who wouldn't be upset by this?
I love fleck and has always been a Scottish hero... but he has 1 good game in 5 these days. He doesn't even take anyone on, he tends to just pass back. He is a lot slower and loses the ball more often, he struggles getting back.
People also slating osborn who runs his bollocks of for the red and white, not the best player but doesn't need slating on a fleck post.
I thought first half last night it was something of the old John Fleck, driving forward with the ball. It was almost as though he knows that’s what Kedra and McAtee will do, so he has to show a bit more.

Is it Jimmy or John going?

Realistically, if we're not offering him a new contract then we will probably allow him a move. I doubt we'll be getting much for him mind.

If true, it's an opportunity to get another high earner off the books and a largely misfiring one as well.

Doyle is the obvious replacement but that only leaves Osborn for left mid (and I don't rate him there at all!).

I think it's completely wrong to say he hasn't played well for 2 years. He had some exceptional games last season (Peterborough H, Hull A, Boro H, QPR H, Forest A) but he is very inconsistent these days. We do need to improve on him but I'd be wary of letting him go without a decent replacement. He's not fallen off a cliff like Ends Stevens has or anything. He is still capable of good performances.

Back
Top Bottom