John Swift

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I know that some of us remain unconvinced but Swift offers something different that would improve our attacking threat. Good all round player that we should seriously show interest in.

I think he'll be beyond us. On a free, he'll be wanting big wages. I expect Norwich / Watford etc. will be in for him.

Ffs. Signing Jed Wallace too. Going to be very strong next season

No reason we shouldn't be able to compete with WBA. But how predictable.

Well that’s the first one I hoped we’d sign out the window!
Very disappointing. And to WBA. Nothing against them but that indicates to me that he was within our grasp. But clearly didn’t do enough, or want him.

lets see if we get any early business done….. this is what disappoints me more about this deal tbh. identify the targets and go for it.

We've not been mentioned with him this summer, in fact it's been a while since we have been linked with him. If fit, and that is a big if with him over the last two years, he'd be a great addition. I do think Albion will be a front runner this season but I'm sure we will too. They've got Steve Bruce in charge though so that should hold them back a little! I think he's had better days personally.

Injury prone. He will also be on a fair whack also with his wages. I'd have been happy enough with him signing but we have probably got the chance to sign 3 players with his wages. We want young hungry players not ones with injury issues. Brannigan would be a very good start.

You're guessing. Maybe his home life is settled and the commute to WBA is easier. There could be a myriad of other reasons.
Yes of course. I am presuming! Maybe Hecky just simply doesn’t think it’s a good fit!

Good signing for them if he can stay fit. However i'm pretty sure he was a big earner at Reading on around £40k a week. If West Brom are paying anywhere near that then they are paying over the odds in my opinion. Even with parachute money that is a hefty wage for 2nd tier football.

Hard to think of a better free signing we could have made, assuming we were actually in for him. And I can't see us not being in for him considering the state of out midfield.

I can't name anyone off the top of my head but it seems every preseason we miss out on the players that the fans most want us to sign, some may well have had interest from United. But we've still done some decent business by the end of the window so we'll wait and see who we sign. Wallace and swift are two decent free transfers for sure, but we often seem to pull a rabbit out of the hat with someone who we weren't excited about such as David McGoldrick, that turned out alright didn't it!

60k is ridiculous!

I do want to go on record and say… I wanted us to sign him. Ward-Prowse type of player. And a free transfer!
Creates goals. Great with dead ball situations. Can tuck them away too! What’s not to like?
Hopefully the scouting team have someone better on the radar

part of the fee that would have been paid to the club if he were still under contract is paid to the player as a signing on fee if he is out of contract.
no such thing as a free transfer
hopefully we have alternatives lined up but we are aware of what we want and have every confidence in our management team, did not do too badly last year despite all the doom and gloom

Reading are a great bet for relegation next season - crippled financially and their best players leaving. If Ejaria also goes their totally knackered.

It's not good that we've let Wallace & Swift go to WBA without any resistance. These are great signings on free transfers.

Hahahahaha

I don't know why you're laughing. The average Championship player earns a fair bit more than you think they do. Supposed high priority free transfer going to a club with parachute money and it probably won't be too far off that

It's not good that we've let Wallace & Swift go to WBA without any resistance. These are great signings on free transfers.
Whilst I agree they are good signings at this level, the assume we’ve “let” these go seems a bit of a stretch, or pure speculation.

Aside from interest in Swift under a previous manager and a clamour from fans for big-ish names there’s nothing to suggest we were ever interested in these players.

We’ll have our own targets and I’m pretty sure if we were in for either of these it would have been all over the press, at the very least from agents driving up wages through competition.

Feels a fair assumption that our targets are based on our needs and available resources, going after players outside of these criteria because another team shows interest isn’t sensible recruitment.

* whilst not gospel a quick Google suggests top earners at WBA are on somewhere between 25-35k a week

As ever judge recruitment at the start of next season, the current one isn’t even finished yet!!

No reason we shouldn't be able to compete with WBA. But how predictable.
There's a big reason; one club is prepared to spend money they don't have, the other isn't.

They have offered Swift a huge contract and if he doesn't at least repeat his performance from this season, they'll have overpaid.

Overall WBA are going to continue gambling big to secure promotion under a manager who is just as likely to take them in the other direction.

Yes he would've improved our team but that isn't the only thing that matters.

Back
Top Bottom