New training ground.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

What is oaks park ? and who owns that and all the land on the opposite side of the road from the water tower at the top of Blackstock Road.
Years ago they had a fair up there for a few years, but now it just looks like derelict ground .....

What is oaks park ? and who owns that and all the land on the opposite side of the road from the water tower at the top of Blackstock Road.
Years ago they had a fair up there for a few years, but now it just looks like derelict ground .....
Henry boots did own the land at one point

From Wikipedia

Oakes Park is a privately owned, historic park land in the green-belt area of south Sheffield. It contains 15 private homes as well as a 17th-century English country house which now operates as The Oakes Holiday Centre, a Christian, residential activity centre for young people between the ages of 8 and 18. It is set in extensive grounds which make it very difficult to be seen by the general public. It is situated on Norton Lane in the suburb of Norton within the City of Sheffield in England. The house is a Grade II* listed building, as are several other buildings and features.

Oakes Park is now a holiday recreation centre kind of thing...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220214-190346_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20220214-190346_Maps.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
2 things here.
Anybody who thinks the new Academy will be on Ash House in Dore on the edge of the greenbelt is probably still waiting for the £350mill to hit the NHS every week.
Reason No.26 why this fantasy can't happen is the number of pitches that a Cat1 Academy - the clubs stated aim - is required to have.
Secondly - The proposed site is much closer to home. Whether it is viable, that much I do not know.

If I was a cavalier Development Surveyor with a penchant for red trousers and “building tings” I’d be straight on the blower to some of the adjacent landowners - there’s plenty of land around there. ;)

Where’s the proposed site? Presumably they are looking to promote via the Local Plan? Or is it more inmediate?

From Wikipedia

Oakes Park is a privately owned, historic park land in the green-belt area of south Sheffield. It contains 15 private homes as well as a 17th-century English country house which now operates as The Oakes Holiday Centre, a Christian, residential activity centre for young people between the ages of 8 and 18. It is set in extensive grounds which make it very difficult to be seen by the general public. It is situated on Norton Lane in the suburb of Norton within the City of Sheffield in England. The house is a Grade II* listed building, as are several other buildings and features.
Thanks, I thought it may have been a SAS training facility it's so well hidden. I did know that Buffalo Bills circus stayed there back in the day. and it sounds like it would make a good club house.
I Just wondered what all the land around it was used for. ?..

From Wikipedia

Int that how David koresh started 😁

Thanks, I thought it may have been a SAS training facility it's so well hidden. I did know that Buffalo Bills circus stayed there back in the day. and it sounds like it would make a good club house.
I Just wondered what all the land around it was used for. ?..

The house itself wouldn’t be suitable for an academy building, it’s an old Manor House and listed so couldn’t be knocked down.
The land around is used firstly for activities for the kids centre then for grazing.
Lots of the schools and groups like the scouts go and have residentials there, my kids are doing a tough mudder there this week.
I would say it’s a non-starter as an academy site.
I don’t know why we don’t just go and buy some farmland with easy access to the M1, no need to be in the city.

Certainly did Silent, the club I spent virtually all of my hockey life at was based at Abbeydale Sports Club and Ted was our chairman. I took a few bollockings off him during committee meetings (deserved).
He was playing hockey right up to the time he passed away and had the love and respect of everyone in the club because he knew how hockey worked, how to talk to people and how to manage situations and get the best out of someone. Every amateur club needs a Ted Kent, truth be told every professional club would benefit from someone like him as well.
I played alongside his son Simon for quite a few years as well
Do you also know Andy Tapley?

Do you also know Andy Tapley?
Yeah, although Andy played for Sheffield so played against him on quite a few occasions. Both Sheffield Club and my club shared Abbeydale clubhouse during my time but our clubs were in every sense opposition to each other. Good player though was Andy, skipper of the first team I believe for a few seasons

There's a good base, A six-acre plot which was once home to the Boundary Club just off Jordanthorpe Parkway. Has three flat well drained (if now overgrown) pitches and a plot to build on.

It's obviously going to be at the hellipad/Parkwood springs

There's also around 8 private houses in Oaks Park, each costing a small fortune.
I know as I was in there last Sunday.

It's obviously going to be at the hellipad/Parkwood springs
Hellipad part is only 2 pitches. Up the hill through the woods there is another 2 pitches at moment probably enough for 3. Maybe get one more on in the mountain bike trail but with all the outbuildings on as well there's not going to be much scope for anything else. Certainly if they do get 6 that is the absolute minimum they need, unless they somehow combine that with Shirecliffe now.

Hellipad part is only 2 pitches. Up the hill through the woods there is another 2 pitches at moment probably enough for 3. Maybe get one more on in the mountain bike trail but with all the outbuildings on as well there's not going to be much scope for anything else. Certainly if they do get 6 that is the absolute minimum they need, unless they somehow combine that with Shirecliffe now.
Space for 3 at the bottom, maybe 3 at the top with landscaping, but then loads of land on Parkwood springs too. There's potential there, and an earlier poster who is apparently itk responded to a suggestion of Parkwood springs with a 😶, also suggested it was really close to our existing training ground. Tbf it's the most realistic suggestion so far

“work currently under way on the top training pitches so United already on with addressing that issue “

Hardly something to be so positive about. Bit feckin late, might not have an long injury list if we had proper facilities. :mad:

“work currently under way on the top training pitches so United already on with addressing that issue “

Hardly something to be so positive about. Bit feckin late, might not have an long injury list if we had proper facilities. :mad:

Can’t be true. Haven’t you read about the cuts and that the pitches are in such bad states that vegetables are being grown on one? It’s in shoutbox every day!

Source, people who work at the club but who only pass on the negatives. Must be the pay freezes……

How did players in t’olden days avoid injuries?

This all sounds like the best Desso sales trick of all time.

Back
Top Bottom