Confess your unpopular opinions regarding SUFC

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I haven't been to a game since March 2020 (Norwich) and I've got to the point where I don't miss it any more. :( Still watch every game, but I have an 18 month old daughter now and more and more idiots seem to be following us and I keep hearing stories from most away games and even home games too.

Before then I'd been home and away pretty much every game since 2012.

Take heart and watch the Blades. Crossing the road is more dangerous than watching the Blades.

I couldn’t tell you what most of the new songs are to be honest. Thought the atmosphere was flat as a pancake again on Saturday.
Normally the generic shite that every team trots out in every away end in the country each week. This is a shithole, Football in a library etc.

I haven't been to a game since March 2020 (Norwich) and I've got to the point where I don't miss it any more. :( Still watch every game, but I have an 18 month old daughter now and more and more idiots seem to be following us and I keep hearing stories from most away games and even home games too.

Before then I'd been home and away pretty much every game since 2012.
Life gets hectic dunt it? I wouldn't worry about it, you can start taking her along in a few years ;) I haven't been since Derby in the promotion season but still listen/watch as much as possible.

The chant where we spell out S-h-e-f-f-i-e-l-d-U-n-i-t-e-d is a bit shit isn’t it?

I love it. Simple, traditional, fun. I like any songs that don't take themselves too seriously. The best songs are a bit of pantomimish, a self-aware tongue-in-cheek parody of itself.

I much prefer when we sing songs about our ourselves, rather than directed at opponents. I realise I'm probably in a minority here as plenty sing as an opportunity to release a bit of hate.

The 'you're shit ahhhh' needs to get in the sea. I'm not sure why that's worked its way in recently but it's garbage and really tinpot.

The same goes for the 'Football In A Library' type stuff. I don't hate it but it's boring and predictable. Yes, away fans make more noise than home fans. Well done.

I think overall we have a great repertoire of songs and lots of originality. Most clubs don't.

Think the following players were shite, although many seemed to love them...
Pert Katchouro
Dave Kitson
John Matthews
Think the following were OK although many seemed to hate them
Marcelo
Andy Gary
...and (tin hat on!) Bobby Ford and Chris Porter (OK he was a bit shite, but not as bad as people made out)

Think the following were OK although many seemed to hate them
Marcelo
Andy Gary
...and (tin hat on!) Bobby Ford and Chris Porter (OK he was a bit shite, but not as bad as people made out)
Marcelo scored in my first game so he'll always be reyt with me. Gray was decent I agree. Bobby wasn't the greatest but tried hard and didn't he score against pigs or am I misremembering? Porter was a lump, but we've had worse.

None of em cost 20M plus...

I think the opening goal against Barnsley was offside.

When Hourihane plays it you can already see United players in front of the ball.

Not sure who is supposed to be playing them on, because the no 30 isn't and the player at the near post isn't either. When you look at the markings on the pitch, Gibbs-White looks further into that square of turf than the front defender does. It's very close and it's a clever free kick. Could be that the angle of the camera is deceptive. One of those the lino should get right though as he is looking all the way across the line. Unless maybe Gibbs-White is slightly off but as it bypasses him and Berge strides in, perhaps it is level or he's just behind.

What do you reckon?

Last edited:

When Hourihane plays it you can already see United players in front of the ball.

Not sure who is supposed to be playing them on, because the no 30 isn't and the player at the near post isn't either. When you look at the markings on the pitch, Gibbs-White looks further into that square of turf than the front defender does. It's very close and it's a clever free kick. Could be that the angle of the camera is deceptive. One of those the lino should get right though as he is looking all the way across the line. Unless maybe Gibbs-White is slightly off but as it bypasses him and Berge strides in, perhaps it is level or he's just behind.

What do you reckon?

The only one I can think is the circled bloke below, the line of the pitch he looks to be in line with Berge and Sharp but the camera angle isn't great. Whilst I was at the game I thought both goals were offside. I really don't care though after the Blackpool game.

1647860569877.png

What do you reckon?

Wow, that’s a great spot, Berge is definitely offside when ball is played, as well as MGw and Gordon.
Mind you, I think that the offside rule shouldn’t count on free kicks, like it doesn’t for throw ins.

Wow, that’s a great spot, Berge is definitely offside when ball is played, as well as MGw and Gordon.
Mind you, I think that the offside rule shouldn’t count on free kicks, like it doesn’t for throw ins.
They're all level with the No.7 when the ball is played by Hourihane. There's no VAR so the advantage goes to the attacking team even if their shoulders are in front of the last defender.

They're all level with the No.7 when the ball is played by Hourihane. There's no VAR so the advantage goes to the attacking team even if their shoulders are in front of the last defender.
Is that by design though or that they can't prove it to that level real time?

Is that by design though or that they can't prove it to that level real time?

It's one of those decisions that the linesman needs to be brave about I think. Any question in his mind whether it is or not, keep the flag down. In my opinion anyway.

It's one of those decisions that the linesman needs to be brave about I think. Any question in his mind whether it is or not, keep the flag down. In my opinion anyway.
Like they've done numerous times this season when opposition players have "looked offside". I sit halfway up the SS on the 18 yard line and the number of times liners don't flag for blatant offsides is ridiculous. We were due one (or two).

It's interesting that the lesser spotted Andrew brought up our blind spot with regards to the Chris Morgan/Iain Hume incident as the Tifo football podcast featured an interview with Hume on Friday.
I've often wondered why Morgs gets a pass when we feel so strongly about the Whitehouse/Ainsworth and Santos/Andy Johnson incidents.
Obviously it's easy for me to say this from the comfort of my keyboard, but from what Hume says it does appear there was very little effort made on Morgan's part to apologise. This might not be the full and accurate story, but it's how Hume remembers it.
It's interesting how club allegiances and bias can effect how we can view such incidents or gloss over them.

I came across this link so looked if it had been discussed on the forum.

Morgs always came over as a man's man if you like, typified by when Lee McCullough elbowed him and then spoke with him afterwards and Morgs saying he appreciated that and just moved on.

Disappointed to read that Morgs never reached out to Hume in the aftermath and even when they played again and he shook hand when Hume was being subbed he said something like "let's make this look good for the cameras". I found this pretty poor to be honest. I can't say it changed my opinion of him as I've seen and heard plenty positive to take this as an exception but it's disappointing when you read him falling below the bar of expectation he set.

Very early days I know, but I don't think Jebbo is going to make it to the top level and he isn't anywhere near ready for us yet.

He might make it.

But everyone of us being giddy needs to take a step back and readjust our expectations.

How many 18 year olds are holding down a regular starting spot in a successful Championship team? He might be 3 years away until he can grab that nettle.

Had we not encountered injuries to Sharp, Mousset and McBurnie and Brewster being in woeful form he wouldn't have been given a chance in some pretty soft end of season games; Everton away who were already starting to look crap and Burnley at home were pretty low end. He did well to be in the right place at the right time, so take nothing away from the lad, but that was one move. It perhaps elevated the expectations unfairly.

At 18, starting 60% of Burton's game and making cameos when he wasn't starting is damn good for one so young. I think he just needs to be given a proper track to develop.

At the moment needs must and the club had little choice, but he needs time before be can be a legitimate first team option. Another loan in League One for a full uninterrupted may not feel like progress to him, but that seems like where he is at and then see.

Back
Top Bottom