50 years ago today

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

30/10/1971

Blades 1 (Currie) Liverpool 1 (Keegan)

I will still remember both goals as if it happened last week. For years until Michael Brown's volley against Wendy in 2003, I have been saying that TC's goal was the best goal I had ever seen by a Blade player. He was still only 21 at the time and for about a year he replaced Woody as our best player and the players the opposition team feared the most. Just before half time TC collected the ball from Gil Reece near the centre circle, took a few strides, I was sat in the front row of the BLUT and I did have the feeling that he would have a crack, I still clearly remember the determination on his face as he took aim and powered in the shot. When the ball ended in the net there were disbelief and gasps all over the ground before we all started cheering. I think it was the first time I saw TC blowing kisses at the crowd.

After the break, Liverpool were awarded a free kick on the left wing. Ian Ross crossed it, Kevin Keegan nipped to the near post and his diving header was too quick for John Hope's despairing dive. I remember feeling gutted and then was surprised that many Blades fans applauded the goal, I took a look at my dad, he said " They are clapping because it was a good goal". A lot of Blades fans clapping at the opposition scoring a good goal doesnt happen nowadays.

There was some controversy in the 2nd half when Tommy Smith, who was already booked for a handball offence in the 1st half (jumped high to handle a ball that went over his head) , upended Geoff Salmons on the left wing (Geoff was badly injured and needed treatment from Cec Coldwell) but the ref decided against booking Smith for the 2nd time and the crowd (my dad too) were screaming at the ref to send Smith off.

TC's wonder goal

Liverpoolgoal.jpg

Keegan's equaliser
Liverpoolhopeeddie.png

LiverpoolClemence.jpg
Steve Heighway playing against the club he supported as a boy
Liverpoolheighway.png
Liverpoolhockey.jpg
LiverpoolScullion.jpg
Liverpoolhockeysmith.jpg

Liverpoolhoward.jpg
Liverpoolgu1.jpg
Liverpoolgu2.jpg
Liverpoolgu3.jpg
Liverpoolfarns1.jpg
Liverpoolfarns2.jpg
Liverpoolharris1.jpg
Liverpoolharris2.jpg
Liverpoolguardian.jpg
1635543103117.png
1635543203469.png

Scores, scorers and line ups on the day are in the below link.

From the programme
Liverpoolpeter.jpg
Liverpoolchatter.jpg
Liverpoolkeith.jpg
Liverpoolcaps.jpg

Great stuff as always thanks Silent Blade. great strike by Currie. Brown's goal against wendy was one of the best goals. however, Currie and Woodward scored some beauties.

30/10/1971

I will still remember both goals as if it happened last week. For years until Michael Brown's volley against Wendy in 2003, I have been saying that TC's goal was the best goal I had ever seen by a Blade player. He was still only 21 at the time and for about a year he replaced Woody as our best player and the players the opposition team feared the most. Just before half time TC collected the ball from Gil Reece near the centre circle, took a few strides, I was sat in the front row of the BLUT and I did have the feeling that he would have a crack, I still clearly remember the determination on his face as he took aim and powered in the shot. When the ball ended in the net there were disbelief and gasps all over the ground before we all started cheering. I think it was the first time I saw TC blowing kisses at the crowd.

After the break, Liverpool were awarded a free kick on the left wing. Ian Ross crossed it, Kevin Keegan nipped to the near post and his diving header was too quick for John Hope's despairing dive. I remember feeling gutted and then was surprised that many Blades fans applauded the goal, I took a look at my dad, he said " They are clapping because it was a good goal". A lot of Blades fans clapping at the opposition scoring a good goal doesnt happen nowadays.

There was some controversy in the 2nd half when Tommy Smith, who was already booked for a handball offence in the 1st half (jumped high to handle a ball that went over his head) , upended Geoff Salmons on the left wing (Geoff was badly injured and needed treatment from Cec Coldwell) but the ref decided against booking Smith for the 2nd time and the crowd (my dad too) were screaming at the ref to send Smith off.

TC's wonder goal

View attachment 123821

Keegan's equaliser
View attachment 123822

View attachment 123823
View attachment 123824
View attachment 123825
View attachment 123826
View attachment 123827

View attachment 123843
View attachment 123828
View attachment 123829
View attachment 123830
View attachment 123831
View attachment 123832
View attachment 123833
View attachment 123834
View attachment 123835
View attachment 123836
View attachment 123837

From the programme
View attachment 123838
View attachment 123839
View attachment 123840
View attachment 123842

My first ever match. Blackpool today is a bit of a milestone for me.

3/11/1971

My dad and I were invited to my Uncle Pete's flat at Abney Close so that we could watch the Daily Express 5 a side tournament on colour tv (at the time he was the only one in my mum's or my dad's family that had a colour tv- my family didnt have one until June 1974 in time for the World Cup). We knew that the Blades were one of the teams taking part and hoped to see them on Sportsnight. When results of the tournament so far came on screen we learn that Blades beat Rangers 3-0 (dont know who scored) but lost to Southampton in the next round (cant remember the score). The programme were only showing the semi finals and the final of the tournament meaning we wouldnt see the Blades :(

1635962213788.png5 a side1.jpg5 a side2.jpg

30/10/1971

TC's wonder goal

View attachment 123821

Keegan's equaliser
View attachment 123822

View attachment 123823
View attachment 123824
View attachment 123825
View attachment 123826
View attachment 123827

View attachment 123843
View attachment 123828
View attachment 123829
View attachment 123830
View attachment 123831
View attachment 123832
View attachment 123833
View attachment 123834
View attachment 123835
View attachment 123836
View attachment 123837

From the programme
View attachment 123838
View attachment 123839
View attachment 123840
View attachment 123842

Not being funny Silent but did they have the 2 yellow card rule when Tommy Smith played ?

3/11/1971

My dad and I were invited to my Uncle Pete's flat at Abney Close so that we could watch the Daily Express 5 a side tournament on colour tv (at the time he was the only one in my mum's or my dad's family that had a colour tv- my family didnt have one until June 1974 in time for the World Cup). We knew that the Blades were one of the teams taking part and hoped to see them on Sportsnight. When results of the tournament so far came on screen we learn that Blades beat Rangers 3-0 (dont know who scored) but lost to Southampton in the next round (cant remember the score). The programme were only showing the semi finals and the final of the tournament meaning we wouldnt see the Blades :(

View attachment 124052View attachment 124053View attachment 124054
We had the exact same scenario in our house, except in black and white. I was allowed to stay up to watch Sportsnight but was immediately packed off to bed when it became apparent that United weren't going to be on.

6 of us went on the train for this one after getting locked out at old trafford going in a car christ what a scary place mosside was in those days city fans had moved off the kippax to their new north stand behind the goal so we went on the kippax big mistake united fans got scattered by city lads coming round and was a very nervy and uneasy afternoon as for the game i think we played well and deserved a point but it was another defeat that kept us tumbling down the table
If the Kippax was the Standing Area on the side of the pitch rather than behind the goal, it was indeed scary when their fans came running around behind us.
Can't remember if I went on coach or train but can clearly remember going into Moss Side to get to the ground and Billy's back header from the long throw which was quite unusual for us to score that way.

If the Kippax was the Standing Area on the side of the pitch rather than behind the goal, it was indeed scary when their fans came running around behind us.
Can't remember if I went on coach or train but can clearly remember going into Moss Side to get to the ground and Billy's back header from the long throw which was quite unusual for us to score that way.
thats the kippax alright and thats exactly what happened very intimidating

6/11/1971

West Ham 1 (Robson) Blades 2 (Reece 2)

I think it was the first time I travelled to an away match in Branson's coaches organised by the SUSC Dronfield Branch (Headquarters was at the Midland pub- became The Old Sidings in 1982 and now Dronfield Arms). For long away trips in the next two to three years my dad and I travelled in Branson's coaches. The usual driver was called Colin who would give me a generous tip after I had held the whip round on the journey back home. The regulars that travelled in the coach were Jimmy, Graham and Roger Beresford, Martin Simpson (who had a chippie in late 1970s and 1980s), Nip Hague, Malcolm Sylvester, Freddie Moore, John Fletcher, Melvyn and Mark Jackson, Paul Bennett, Uncle mick , Des Buckley, Clive (cant remember his surname) plus a few more faces I didnt have a name to.

1636152565782.png

The coach didnt drive straight to Upton Park. It was parked near a tube station in London and we caught the tube to Upton Park. At the time I was fascinated with the London Underground map as it was my second time travelling by tube (the first time was 11 days earlier going to Arsenal)

My dad and I stood in the lower part of the West stand near the South Bank. It was the first time I saw Bobby Moore and Geoff Hurst play. Gil Reece headed us into the lead just before the break, Bryan "Pop" Robson levelled the score shortly after break. With 15 minutes left Reece headed the winner after a Woody corner and I can still picture the goal well as I was about in line to where Reece jumped for the header. Dont remember Mick Speight making his debut coming on as sub in the final minutes.

I dont remember being aware that King Olaf of Norway being at the match, I doubt if I knew who he was. After the game in the tube journey back home my dad was talking to Alan Hoby (Sunday Express reporter) and Harold Rumsey (SUFC Commercial manager) and the latter gave me a SUFC badge.

I think the coach had left London later than planned probably because the driver made sure everyone was back in the coach. Many were anxious about getting back home in time for MOTD as the match at Upton Park was to be featured. Halfway in the journey back home I needed a wee which caused frustration amongst the fans in the coach. I can remember feeling the embarrassment as my dad told me to "hurry up" as I peed on the M1 hard shoulder. On arriving home we knew that we had missed the start of the programme but were relived that the first match being shown was Hull v Norwich. I remember just after we switched the tv on and the first thing we saw was Terry Anderson running on the left wing before crossing the ball for Peter Silvester to head in Norwich's 2nd goal. And then we saw the full highlights of the Upton Park match. Sadly I have not been able to see the goals of the game again since that night.

Hammersbrooking.png
Hammerseddie.png

HammersTC.jpg
Hammershope.jpg
Hammershoward.jpg
Hammersgu1.jpg
Hammersgu2.jpg
Hammersgu3.jpgHammersfarns1.jpgHammersfarns2.jpg

Scores, scorers, line ups of that day's matches are in the below link

8/11/1971

League Cup 4th round replay

Blades 2 (Woodward, Reece) Arsenal 0

The Blades fans who bought the Star news that evening received bombshell news that TC was doubtful for the replay because he had scalded his foot after spilling a pan of boiling water.

ArserepTCbombshell.jpg

My dad had to buy tickets for different seats in the BLUT because the tickets for our usual seats were bought by someone. I wasnt aware that prior to the game that John Harris had given a fitness test for TC behind the Lane End, the supporters arriving in the ground early were able to witness the test

ArserepTC.jpg

Arserephotwater.jpg

There were loud cheers around the ground when crowd spotted TC being one of the players running out of the tunnel 5 mins before the kick off.

My dad and I were sat next to an attractive and pleasant lady who was quite chatty. Early in the game Woody nearly scored and the excitement caused the lady almost being choked by the boiled sweet that was in her mouth. She recovered quite quickly and we had a laugh about it.

Woody scoring the 1st goal.

Arserepgoal1.jpgIn the 2nd half Reece scores the 2nd goal from a tight angle after beating the advancing keeper Bob Wilson to the ball.

Arserepgoal2.jpg

Arserepharris.jpg

Arserephead.jpg
Arserepthornton1.jpgArserepthornton2.jpg

From the programme

Arsereppeter.jpg
Arserepchatter.jpg
Arserepkeith.jpg

13/11/1971

Blades 2 (Woodward 2) Coventry 0

For years I had always thought Steve Goulding's debut was in 1972 and I do not remember him playing in the above match replacing flu victim Ted Hemsley.
CovGoulding.jpg

CovGoulding1.jpg

Coveddie.jpg

Just before half time we had a corner at the Lane End. Woodward hit it with its usual pace and accuracy. It flew past the group of players at the near post and it ended up in the net. We werent sure who had scored until our players ran towards Woody to congratulate him. His 3rd goal direct from a corner!

Covwoodycorner.jpg
CovWoody1.jpg

We were awarded a penalty in the 2nd half, Woody took it but Bill Glazier dived the right way and held the kick. Soon after Woody made amends by firing in a on-two with Scullion

Covwoody2.jpg

Covhoward.jpg

Covguhead.jpg
Covgu1.png
Covgu2.png
Covgu3.png
Covgu4.png
Covgu5.png
Covgu6.png
Covgu7.png
covgu8.png
Covgulast.png
Covmt1.jpg
Covmt2.jpg
Scores, scorers and line ups of matches that day in below link

From the programme

Covpeter.jpg
Covchatter.jpg
Covkeith.jpg

I still remember clearly when my dad was picking me up from a children's xmas party organised by his work and he was telling me "United won 6-0". I wasnt really into football yet despite having been taken to the Lane a few times but I was impressed that the Blades had won 6-0. Birmingham City were the opponents.
Did you have jelly and ice cream?

30/10/1971

TC's wonder goal

View attachment 123821

Keegan's equaliser
View attachment 123822

View attachment 123823
View attachment 123824
View attachment 123825
View attachment 123826
View attachment 123827

View attachment 123843
View attachment 123828
View attachment 123829
View attachment 123830
View attachment 123831
View attachment 123832
View attachment 123833
View attachment 123834
View attachment 123835
View attachment 123836
View attachment 123837

From the programme
View attachment 123838
View attachment 123839
View attachment 123840
View attachment 123842

Not sure we should be celebrating too much
I understand Stockley Park are (still) reviewing the challenge by Gil Reece : studs showing / foot up & ( given its Liverpool) a suggestion of ‘intent’ (whatever that is - currently consulting with newly appointed Villa manager for his view)🤔

13/11/1971

Blades 2 (Woodward 2) Coventry 0

For years I had always thought Steve Goulding's debut was in 1972 and I do not remember him playing in the above match replacing flu victim Ted Hemsley.
View attachment 124659

View attachment 124660

View attachment 124666

Just before half time we had a corner at the Lane End. Woodward hit it with its usual pace and accuracy. It flew past the group of players at the near post and it ended up in the net. We werent sure who had scored until our players ran towards Woody to congratulate him. His 3rd goal direct from a corner!

View attachment 124661
View attachment 124662

We were awarded a penalty in the 2nd half, Woody took it but Bill Glazier dived the right way and held the kick. Soon after Woody made amends by firing in a on-two with Scullion

View attachment 124665

View attachment 124682

View attachment 124667
View attachment 124668
View attachment 124669
View attachment 124670
View attachment 124671
View attachment 124672
View attachment 124673
View attachment 124674
View attachment 124675
View attachment 124676
View attachment 124677
View attachment 124678
Scores, scorers and line ups of matches that day in below link

From the programme

View attachment 124679
View attachment 124680
View attachment 124681

Jack Pickering was one of my dad’s best mates and I remember him coming to visit us when I was very young .

For those not familiar with the name Mortomley , it is an area within High Green and the original settlement from which the latter evolved .

Jack Pickering was one of my dad’s best mates and I remember him coming to visit us when I was very young .

For those not familiar with the name Mortomley , it is an area within High Green and the original settlement from which the latter evolved .
Also where Wednesday trained in the 60's. Bert father used to work there, he used to bring Bert footballs that the players had kicked into the long grass and forgotten about.

Also where Wednesday trained in the 60's. Bert father used to work there, he used to bring Bert footballs that the players had kicked into the long grass and forgotten about.

Yes , for a while Wednesday trained at Thorncliffe Recreation Ground which is just off Mortomley Lane .

This was / is a large sports complex which included football pitches , tennis courts , a hockey pitch and bowling green among other facilities and was provided at no cost to the community by Newton Chambers whose offices and factories were in the nearby Thorncliffe Valley .

I can’t be sure but I think it opened in 1951 to coincide with the Festival of Britain and I was there along with several thousand others for a full day of sporting events which included an exhibition of the game knur and spell, the only time I ever saw it played .

Later , I would go there every other Saturday when the Blades were away to watch one of the Thorncliffe teams who played at a good level of local football . As an added bonus , South Yorkshire Boys first Xl would often play in the morning who I also enjoyed watching .

They had some fine young players at that time and I recall being particularly impressed by a stylish and skilful midfield player by the name of Barry Hines ......

17/11/1971

League Cup quarter final

West Ham 5 (Robson 3, Best 2) Blades 0

My mum had decided that I should not go to the match because I had school in the next day and I thank her for the decision!

Cant remember how my dad and I knew that highlights of the game would be shown on the Midweek match on ITV that night and my mum allowed me to stay up to watch the programme. My dad and I agreed to avoid knowing the score so that we could enjoy watching the highlights more. My dad wanted to watch the Jack Bodell v Jerry Quarry boxing match on Sportsnight. The programme started at 9.20pm. The Sportsnight programme usually announce the evening football results at the start of the programme so my dad and I decided to have ITV on for about 10 minutes from 9.20pm. Once we were confident that Sportsnight had moved on from announcing the evening's football results, we switched channels to BBC but to our horror we saw the green and black screen with white lettering revealing the score. I couldnt believe that we had lost 5-0 to a team we comfortably won against 11 days earlier.

I got into a strop telling my dad that it was a waste of time supporting the Blades. He was a little amused with my reaction saying "Who are you going to support then?". I think I replied with "Maybe Derby?". He laughed a bit. After calming down I decided to stay up and watch the highlights hoping that Sportsnight had got the score wrong!

Watching the highlights, I was gobsmacked at how bad we played and the worst moment was how John Hope allowed Clyde Best's soft shot go through his hands to put the Hammers 4 up. I often met John after matches since his debut at Oxford in January 1971 and he had been playing brilliantly until that night at Upton Park. My dad said "many good keepers can have a nightmare match" so we agreed that John will be back to good form soon.

HammersLCtaylor.jpg

HammersLC1.jpg
HammersLC2.jpg

17/11/1971

League Cup quarter final

My mum had decided that I should not go to the match because I had school in the next day and I thank her for the decision!

Cant remember how my dad and I knew that highlights of the game would be shown on the Midweek match on ITV that night and my mum allowed me to stay up to watch the programme. My dad and I agreed to avoid knowing the score so that we could enjoy watching the highlights more. My dad wanted to watch the Jack Bodell v Jerry Quarry boxing match on Sportsnight. The programme started at 9.20pm. The Sportsnight programme usually announce the evening football results at the start of the programme so my dad and I decided to have ITV on for about 10 minutes from 9.20pm. Once we were confident that Sportsnight had moved on from announcing the evening's football results, we switched channels to BBC but to our horror we saw the green and black screen with white lettering revealing the score. I couldnt believe that we had lost 5-0 to a team we comfortably won against 11 days earlier.

I got into a strop telling my dad that it was a waste of time supporting the Blades. He was a little amused with my reaction saying "Who are you going to support then?". I think I replied with "Maybe Derby?". He laughed a bit. After calming down I decided to stay up and watch the highlights hoping that Sportsnight had got the score wrong!

Watching the highlights, I was gobsmacked at how bad we played and the worst moment was how John Hope allowed Clyde Best's soft shot go through his hands to put the Hammers 4 up. I often met John after matches since his debut at Oxford in January 1971 and he had been playing brilliantly until that night at Upton Park. My dad said "many good keepers can have a nightmare match" so we agreed that John will be back to good form soon.

View attachment 124803

View attachment 124804
View attachment 124805

know whats coming saturday silent was there 🥺

17/11/1971

League Cup quarter final

View attachment 124803

View attachment 124804
View attachment 124805

I remember waiting for it to come on, and the announcer on Sportsnight giving the game away when giving out the results one by one rather than putting them all up on the screen. He gave a couple of other results, then started the sentence with 'And how about this one........'. That obviously meant a good win or heavy defeat, so for a split second there was hope of a great result. Not to be......

17/11/1971

League Cup quarter final

View attachment 124803

View attachment 124804
View attachment 124805

I have often wondered if the fact that that game was shown on TV was a big factor in the career of John Hope. His career at the Lane started well, but his confidence and the crowd’s confidence in him never seemed to recover. He also became the butt of jokes from our ‘friends’ in S6, which is never a good sign for a keeper.

Back
Top Bottom