Lack of professionalism

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Bring Bryan Robson back to set some standards.

It would be interesting to see all this data collected from the sports bra's showing distance travelled during a game and acceleration. Comparing the last 2 seasons to the one before.

I could be wrong but from a recent interview I think Billy or another player said Moose is the only one that gets fined amongst the group for being late. I assume he is getting fined for being unfit as well.
Didn't someone say there was a fat club and Mousse gets fined for being overweight every week?

If they were out this weekend, there wouldn't be an issue with it being an international weekend, no game for most of them and they can do as they want without it having any immediate effect on any upcoming games. The problem is that it's an easy stick to beat them with when they aren't performing...and they aren't. I can see fans' gripes where they've been tonked at Blackburn and have just gone "fuck it, lets get pissed" giving off an image of not really caring instead of being at Shirecliffe at 6am watching videos and making Lys Mousset do the bleep test.

Is this piss up our Gillingham moment or that they've just thrown the towel in like last season?

Mousset needs to get fit, that's about it. I don't think he needs to stop enjoying himself in life though. I'd rather he cuts back on the carp food and booze but if he's got away with all his career and we were stupid enough to reward him financially for it then what incentive has he got to change now?!

I want our players to be the best they can be, however we are a lower mid-table Championship team and therefore I don't expect Ronaldo levels of professionalism from them.

Everything is shit at the moment and this is another thing that people have jumped on while the going is tough.
Doesn't matter what position or what league we are in, it's professionalism, self respect, standards and having a bit upstairs to realise not just the fitness issues but the image and message it sends out.

It's a constant, force fed mantra that all professional players know well, even more so players that have come through academies, it might not be fair, but they all know they are an example to kids, a role model, that's hard, incredibly hard when some of them are barely more than kids, and know nothing of life outside an academy they have been involved in since they were 10 or 11.

But it's a fact, nothing is free, everything in life comes with strings attached, you want that big money, then fine, it comes with pressures, standards and demands that exist outside 'working hours'

What does Billy say in hte vid? Non-native asking for help..

All employment contracts will have drug and alcohol clauses in them, however we're talking about people's free will and free time here. The club can't legally tell players they can't drink during the season.

There's the moral standpoint that as professional footballers they shouldn't drink given the vast sums they earn, however it's been proved time and time again that footballers like a drink so it's not like it's going to change.

If I'm a player at a football club earning a relatively modest £150k a year, can I drink? What if I earn £300k a year or £1m a year? At which point do you start getting offended by a player drinking?
I think it's the same as in any work place for me.

If you work in an office and down 20 pints on an evening, nobody will give a toss if you do the business the next day.

Don't think anybody minds the players having a private and social life, as win or lose they still have a life to lead. Having said that, IF players are going out in the city centre and getting bladdered on the back of bad defeats, or before important games, then for me that's a step too far.

Doesn't matter what position or what league we are in, it's professionalism, self respect, standards and having a bit upstairs to realise not just the fitness issues but the image and message it sends out.

It's a constant, force fed mantra that all professional players know well, even more so players that have come through academies, it might not be fair, but they all know they are an example to kids, a role model, that's hard, incredibly hard when some of them are barely more than kids, and know nothing of life outside an academy they have been involved in since they were 10 or 11.

But it's a fact, nothing is free, everything in life comes with strings attached, you want that big money, then fine, it comes with pressures, standards and demands that exist outside 'working hours'
I don't expect all footballers to be role models to my kids, there are much better role models for them in all walks of life.

I think the people who expect footballers to exist as hermits and sit in watching X Factor or whatever other shite is on TV of a Saturday evening need to get a reality check.

Richard Stearman is a cult hero he got hammered and put an empty pint pot on his head whilst gurning, now Sharp and Mousset want stringing up because they've been out past midnight. Double standards.

I don't expect all footballers to be role models to my kids, there are much better role models for them in all walks of life.

I think the people who expect footballers to exist as hermits and sit in watching X Factor or whatever other shite is on TV of a Saturday evening need to get a reality check.

Richard Stearman is a cult hero he got hammered and put an empty pint pot on his head whilst gurning, now Sharp and Mousset want stringing up because they've been out past midnight. Double standards.
Stearman was celebrating promotion at the end of the season.

Sorry but it's not what you expect, even though I agree re role models, it's drilled into kids and professional players that they are role models, it's not just from clubs, but from higher up, successive Government's and the FA have pushed the idea, its been around for years.

It's not fair, it's unwarranted and no doubt unwanted pressure, guys sign up to play football, hopefully make a living out of it and earn a good wage and have a lifestyle that is out of reach to many people, that lifestyle comes with strings, some players accept things and thrive, others fall by the wayside and can't cope, or don't want the media intrusion, the criticism, the responsibility or the demands of training, diets and fitness programmes.

Like it or not they are role models, times have changed since we collected football cards, or had a photo of a favourite player on the wall, social media has increased not only the level of interest, but scrutiny in what a player does, on and off the pitch.

Mcburnie being the prime example, great sympathy for what happened last year with the confrontation with those lads in the street BUT living in the glare of publicity any sportsman or woman is subject to, is increased massively if you also live and share your life through social media

Last edited:

If that video was a couple of days before a match then he should be stripped of the captaincy. Our club's an absolute joke. Mousset and Fleck both overweight and the captain drunk. Where's the leadership? The way I'm feeling right now I hope Coventry put 5 past us. You'll still see Brewster and McBurnie laughing. What a shambles!

Stearman was celebrating promotion at the end of the season.
Back to my point then that it’s ok for footballers to get hammered when they’re doing well on the pitch but when they’re not they should be ashamed of themselves and sit in the house practicing how to cross a ball using everyday household items or be on the training ground in the dark on their own.

As many have said, there’s been a drinking culture at the club for most of our history. When someone like Wilder says he’s called at the off licence and got the beers in after a few rubbish performances it’s the stuff of legends.

If the same players have a drink now they are heathens.

Sorry but it's not what you expect, even though I agree re role models, it's drilled into kids and professional players that they are role models, it's not just from clubs, but from higher up, successive Government's and the FA have pushed the idea, its been around for years.

It's not fair, it's unwarranted and no doubt unwanted pressure, guys sign up to play football, hopefully make a living out of it and earn a good wage and have a lifestyle that is out of reach to many people, that lifestyle comes with strings, some players accept things and thrive, others fall by the wayside and can't cope, or don't want the media intrusion, the criticism, the responsibility or the demands of training, diets and fitness programmes.

Like it or not they are role models, times have changed since we collected football cards, or had a photo of a favourite player on the wall, social media has increased not only the level of interest, but scrutiny in what a player does, on and off the pitch.

Mcburnie being the prime example, great sympathy for what happened last year with the confrontation with those lads in the street BUT living in the glare of publicity any sportsman or woman is subject to, is increased massively if you also live and share your life through social media
The day Oli McBurnie is a role model for my kids I’ll put them up for adoption.

The day Oli McBurnie is a role model for my kids I’ll put them up for adoption.
You are missing the point, I have repeatedly said I don't agree with footballers being held up as role models, no sportsman or woman deserves that added pressure, but like it or not, its there its part and parcel of the inevitable publicity.

There are players in the squad, you, me and ever else knows very little about, they choose to live as privately as possible, a few others don't.

You are missing the point, I have repeatedly said I don't agree with footballers being held up as role models, no sportsman or woman deserves that added pressure, but like it or not, its there its part and parcel of the inevitable publicity.

There are players in the squad, you, me and ever else knows very little about, they choose to live as privately as possible, a few others don't.
It’s the same in any occupation though. By their nature footballers are extroverts (with the odd notable exception). They also get paid by sponsors to get followers and likes on social media. Others keep themselves to themselves.

Using the examples of Mousset and McBurnie, they’re the daft twats who used to shave your eyebrows off on holiday and film it, or drink flaming sambucas for a laugh, spray lynx on their hands and light it.

They’re just idiots, we all knew some and some of us were probably like that once upon a time.

They’re allowed to drink though.

It’s the same in any occupation though. By their nature footballers are extroverts (with the odd notable exception). They also get paid by sponsors to get followers and likes on social media. Others keep themselves to themselves.

Using the examples of Mousset and McBurnie, they’re the daft twats who used to shave your eyebrows off on holiday and film it, or drink flaming sambucas for a laugh, spray lynx on their hands and light it.

They’re just idiots, we all knew some and some of us were probably like that once upon a time.

They’re allowed to drink though.
of

Again it comes down to a level of intelligence, if they are banging in 30 goals a season and the drink isnt affecting their performance, then fair play, if they aren't banging in the goals and can't force their way into the starting eleven of a team struggling to hit any kind of form, then the question is, is the drinking to blame, is the reason to drink now because they can't get in the team, rather than celebrating they can.

You are right, almost all of us did or do stupid things, but lets be honest, how many of us had so many people looking after us, and looking at us, from managers, agents, fitness/diet experts etc to complete strangers watching our 'antics' factor in either of those, and I would say, most of us would have seriously cut back on the stupid stuff we did, while a small minority would carry on, and a tiny majority would go even further

The lack of professionalism (Moose aside) has come from the coaching staff and admin side of the club. No proper pre season has hampered, and will continue to hamper us all season. We have nowhere near the levels of fitness required for two to three game weeks. Recruitment also leaves a lot to be desired. They told us that it would be much better under their stewardship and frankly it's been terrible.
No pre season? This far into the season they should have made up for whatever it is they missed
At the very least I expect professional footballers to have self belief and pride AND be as fit as a butchers dog

I've played amateur sport for many years and I know after a defeat, particularly in a season like this, you need a release. I would say that going out in town is not great, but on the other hand most will live in Sheffield, would it be any better if it was in Manchester?! I'm more bothered by the lack of marking, lack of stopping crosses into the box, poor finishing, we can all go on.

I doubt Wilder would have stamped out going out after a game, but if they were due in on the Sunday and were still steaming then I'm sure they'd be trouble. Slav doesn't strike me as a disciplinarian to me, despite the hard man Serbia image etc. I think right now as much as I want Slav to succeed, he needs a bit of old fashioned army treatment, Bassett style, at present. Maybe time for Tim Robbins to visit also!?

No pre season? This far into the season they should have made up for whatever it is they missed
At the very least I expect professional footballers to have self belief and pride AND be as fit as a butchers dog

You can't make up for it unless you have a couple of months in a training camp away from the games. It's an absolutely essential part of the preparation for any cardio based sport. It's no surprise that every team runs all over us - particularly in two or three game weeks. Slav should ban players from the internationals and be putting all our them through double sessions in the international breaks to help catch us up. Whoever was in charge of pre season should've already been sacked.

Nobody expects a team of teetotallers but where are the players who really want to be the best they can be by putting in a 100% in training, lifestyle, extra practice on free kicks, corner routines etc and in matches. I can't see any of that. More like we are going through the motions as we did in Adkins days and the press interviews sound the same - players saying they know they must do better, team spirit is ok, we all want to do better etc but then they show nothing of that in matches and play crap. They just can't fool us. We are unfit and slow in body and mind. I fear that things will get worse and I already feel the New Year of 2022 will get off to awful start.
It is also time we heard something from the Board. Is there anybody doing anything - searching out players for January or discussing all the contracts that will be up at the end of the season. We have been stagnating and sleepwalking since November 2020 when Wilder first wanted to resign. It is like we are mirroring the lot at the other end of the city.

Nobody expects a team of teetotallers but where are the players who really want to be the best they can be by putting in a 100% in training, lifestyle, extra practice on free kicks, corner routines etc and in matches. I can't see any of that.
How often do you watch training?

Let's face it if theyd made Europa League Billy could be driven round town shackled naked to the front of a tank while singing Tina Turners greatest hits and we wouldn't give a fuck.
That might well be the case, but then again We Don't Need Another Hero.

I've played amateur sport for many years and I know after a defeat, particularly in a season like this, you need a release. I would say that going out in town is not great, but on the other hand most will live in Sheffield, would it be any better if it was in Manchester?! I'm more bothered by the lack of marking, lack of stopping crosses into the box, poor finishing, we can all go on.

I doubt Wilder would have stamped out going out after a game, but if they were due in on the Sunday and were still steaming then I'm sure they'd be trouble. Slav doesn't strike me as a disciplinarian to me, despite the hard man Serbia image etc. I think right now as much as I want Slav to succeed, he needs a bit of old fashioned army treatment, Bassett style, at present. Maybe time for Tim Robbins to visit also!?
Aye, or maybe Slav (naively) assumes / expects adult (sic) professional (sic) athletes (sic) to conduct themselves in a fashion that will optimise / maximise their performance at work & their ‘standing’ within their community (the folk that ultimately pay their wages) 🤔

Back
Top Bottom