Lack of professionalism

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Wilder had already pointed out his red lines, and all but resigned at the end of the first Championship campaign. The climbdown from the board after Bristol was the only reason that the tearful Wilder stayed. The board would have been under no illusion that the same red lines were in place when discussions started towards the end of the second prem season. "If the plan doesn't change" is the Wilder quote that sums up the reasons for the denouement of
his reign. There is zero excuse for them not having a plan once they decided to cross those red lines, change the plan and contemplate the removal of Wilder. The problem is not necessarily removing Wilder (after all he's not the only capable manager in the world!) it's the lack of planning and contingencies when they decided to defenestrate, undermine or control him (this will depend on an individual's subjective opinion of his reign!).

Managers should already have been informally approached; the transfer committee should have already drawn up targets; players that we wanted rid of should have already been on a list - perhaps with names being circulated and negotiations on ins and outs already started. Legal advise on post Brexit targets (both players and management) should have been sought and understood. Pre season plans should have been in place - regardless of who the next manager was, with input from the remaining football staff at the club.
What we got was neglect and gross incompetence.

100% agree with this. I personally think it was defensible that we waited to 1 July to get the manager in due to his contractual situation but more should have been done along the lines you suggest than was done, and top of the list for stupidity was the decision to take the squad abroad during a pandemic, wasting valuable time when some players had to isolate and not doing enough in terms of training or practice matches. that was idiocy.

Second on the stupidity list was pursuing a manager (and one player) that any law firm could have advised you was ineligible to work in the UK had you paid them about 500-1000 quid for that advice (it was that obvious).

I work in a place with very poor central management and a lot of what is happening at the Lane reminds me of what happens at our place. Things will only work well if strong characters in the organisation with good ideas are running them - like Wilder pre lockdown. When those characters lose their mojo or leave, there is no management core to pick up the slack.

Mousset out again on Wednesday night.
The question of whether Mousset went out or stayed in is neither here nor there - he's a physically & mentally unfit useless wage-stealer in any event.
What worries me more is that neither Wilder nor the senior management at the Club can possibly have done any due diligence before signing him from Bournemouth reserves where he'd previously been stealing his wage for a while.
From March 2020 when JoC was crocked (+ possibly from the summer window of 2019) the whole club has lacked professionalism to such an extent that it has managed to piss away the best chance it has had since the 70s of becoming "established for a while" in the top flight.
That's the lack of professionalism which history will record - not a player having a few beers.
Don't forget that Billy Sharp loves the club as much as Wilder.
The latter had a nervous breakdown over our heartbreaking failure to capitalise on his success.
Billy is still here , realising that he's now a visible part of our downward slide which must hurt him.
No wonder he needs a beer !
In his situation , I think I might.
He's getting ready to hang up his boots and there's no striker to fill them.
A sad prospect for him & us.

The question of whether Mousset went out or stayed in is neither here nor there - he's a physically & mentally unfit useless wage-stealer in any event.
What worries me more is that neither Wilder nor the senior management at the Club can possibly have done any due diligence before signing him from Bournemouth reserves where he'd previously been stealing his wage for a while.
From March 2020 when JoC was crocked (+ possibly from the summer window of 2019) the whole club has lacked professionalism to such an extent that it has managed to piss away the best chance it has had since the 70s of becoming "established for a while" in the top flight.
That's the lack of professionalism which history will record - not a player having a few beers.
Don't forget that Billy Sharp loves the club as much as Wilder.
The latter had a nervous breakdown over our heartbreaking failure to capitalise on his success.
Billy is still here , realising that he's now a visible part of our downward slide which must hurt him.
No wonder he needs a beer !
In his situation , I think I might.
He's getting ready to hang up his boots and there's no striker to fill them.
A sad prospect for him & us.
would love us to keep billy on with us after hes retired in some capacity

Can anyone better at stats than me tell us how many times Mousset has played a full 90 minutes in his entire professional career?
Since moving to England he's completed 90mins on 5 occasions, all for Bournemouth (1 x PL, 4 x cup).

The last time was in a 5-1 defeat at Arsenal in Feb 2019, in which he scored.

Career total: 101 starts in comps, played 90mins in 32 of them, subbed off in 69

There's no record of him ever lasting 90 minutes.

He's some athlete.
For us never but a more informed person than Bert says he did it for Bournemouth.

Since moving to England he's completed 90mins on 5 occasions, all for Bournemouth (1 x PL, 4 x cup).

The last time was in a 5-1 defeat at Arsenal in Feb 2019, in which he scored.

Career total: 101 starts in comps, played 90mins in 32 of them, subbed off in 69
Thank you. Way better than I expected, though I guess he’s coming up to three years since he managed it, which isn’t promising.

I’m all for players enjoying themselves but if all this is true it’s very disappointing. Let’s be honest, they work for 10 months a year. Is it too much to ask that they get pissed in the off season? With there performances this season you’d think they’d have a bit more pride and humility, or is that asking too much of the arseholes we have at the club lately? The whole club is a disgrace at the moment. A disorganised rabble from top to bottom. How I would love some fucking hardcases come into the club to kick these twats into shape.
Like who?
Madine?
Billy Whitehirst?

And that lot were finishing circa 8th ! What would we give today for a Paddy K, Del Geary, Morgs/Jags, Michael Tonge, even an Andy Gray who'd give you 12 goals a year.
Still think Andy Gray is one of the most undervalued Blades in recent years. A solid double figure goalscorer plus could hold up the ball and assist too.

I’m not drawing a direct comparison between football and rugby, but both have traditionally had drinking cultures. What I know is there is an increasing aversion to drunkenness with professional rugby players, recognition that success in professional sport is achieved via small steps and attention to detail.

They're professional footballers and athletes. They should not be getting pissed during the season. It slows down recovery and makes any cardio/muscle work they do less effective. Have a few more drinks in summer when you have 1-2 months off.

The fact footballers are so moronic that they go out and get pissed in the centre of the city where they work is beyond stupid.

So its OK to decrease their physical capacity to perform on the pitch so long as we don't find out about it? Make it make sense

That’s the problem, we aren’t winning.

I also don't believe the lads were out on the razz two days before a game back then (not until promotion was secured anyway). So the fact Billy is doing that now and he's Captain Bladey Blade then I'm not surprised they're all following his example.

Science would also say that if someone has to forego something they enjoy it would mentally impact them.

The law also says that you can't stop people getting drunk just because they earn a lot of money.

What about surgeons? They earn plenty. Would you be happy to go under at 9am knowing your surgeon was steaming at 2am the same morning?

Back
Top Bottom