Club Shop new range

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

There are some really depressing replies on this thread.

As I understand it the rainbow colours are about pride. The rights won by the LGBT community were hard fought. If wearing a rainbow blades scarf is empowering to the wearer than good on them for being proud in who and what they are.

If you don’t like it then how about stopping to listen for a moment as to why some think it’s a good idea. After listening if you still don’t understand then perhaps try to say “fair enough, if that’s what makes you feel happy”.

Just think about what you’re trying to achieve when posting negative comments. Words matter.

World's gone stark raving f ING mad ,our grand parents would laugh their socks off at us .sensitive isn't the word
I'm waiting for doggy scarfs ,boat people scarves ,offender scarfs£20 pound off social credit scarfs, real ale drinkers carrier bags ,, utb and good bye .we will do magic but not in a silly hat 🎩

Why is football a hostile place for gay people I've known lads right from the sra era late seventies that are gay ,nobody batted a eyelid .same goes for the black community ,no issues at the lane .so why single yourself out ,is it the need to be seen heard ?
The fact that only one player in English football has ever come out (and he hung himself after years of innuendo that he was a paedophile) suggests there is an issue.

You can hear homophobic abuse at pretty much every match you go to. Thankfully the days of singing about Marc Overmars being a rent boy or the ‘hilarious’ chants at Brighton fans seem to be a thing of the past.

The fact that only one player in English football has ever come out (and he hung himself after years of innuendo that he was a paedophile) suggests there is an issue.

You can hear homophobic abuse at pretty much every match you go to. Thankfully the days of singing about Marc Overmars being a rent boy or the ‘hilarious’ chants at Brighton fans seem to be a thing of the past.
Surely the modern professional footballer is the same as you or me that doesn't give two monkeys about a person's sexuality ,they gladly take the knee for perceived social injustice so why would they not support a gay colleague.doesnt make sense .as for homophobic chants ,the last I heard was in 1974 goergy best super star carries a handbag and wears a bra .all very light hearted

The subject of encouraging acceptance and tolerance of differences is the latest fashion but it’s probably a really important lesson in life.

Human beings have always been tribal. We try to form and recognise differences then form groups/ gangs and almost feel proud of our like minded gang.
A few decades ago the effort was to ignore differences, treat everyone the same and try to be one gang called the “human race”…it only partially worked.
Now there’s a cultural bravery for minorities to put their heads above the parapet and highlight/ promote differences and diversity again.
It’s quite alien for some people to accept that we are all different…..the trick is to accept and respect those differences.
So on one hand i’m fully behind the rainbow scarves.

The point I find odd is that there’s a push about stopping homophobic, racial, sexist abuse
but surely the push should be about stopping ALL abuse. You can imagine a Month Python sketch…with a fan wanting to intimidate an opposition player
and having to read a checklist of which insults are accepted and which are illegal with a threat of a prison sentence.
Its like a fan can call a black player all the rotten insults under the sun….but if he puts the word “black” in front of it…then it becomes illegal.
I’ve spoke to my partner about this and she basically says football should be like going to rugby, ice hockey etc.
She thinks a level of sanitisation/ fan respect would be good for the game but it’s traditionally been a place to let off some steam and be passionate about your team.

Last edited:
Surely the modern professional footballer is the same as you or me that doesn't give two monkeys about a person's sexuality ,they gladly take the knee for perceived social injustice so why would they not support a gay colleague.doesnt make sense .as for homophobic chants ,the last I heard was in 1974 goergy best super star carries a handbag and wears a bra .all very light hearted
I don’t think any of the eliete level closet gay footballers out there at the moment are as bothered about their fellow pros than they are the reaction of fans (in real life and on social media) and the tabloid press.

All these people saying they have never heard anything, never went to watch us play watford in the 70’s, or any team playing watford. Ill not repeat the song but Elton John had a story in his book about it, when his mother was asking him what are they singing, so lets not kid ourself were blameless but times change , hopefully attitudes as well.

All these people saying they have never heard anything, never went to watch us play watford in the 70’s, or any team playing watford. Ill not repeat the song but Elton John had a story in his book about it, when his mother was asking him what are they singing, so lets not kid ourself were blameless but times change , hopefully attitudes as well.
But did Elton let it bother him ,I'm sure it was water off a duck to him .that's multimillionaire Elton who happily married with children

I was just pointing out almost all teams had fans who sang songs to get get a rise out of someone and would use any language to do so. But i suspect it wouldnt get sung now as more people are more tolerant

Agree with Top of the League I can’t really remember any homophobic or racist stuff over the years.

However I was sat on the Bramall Lane upper tier when we played Brighton, think it was the season we came down when Robson was manager.
Our fans were singing jokey homophobic songs to the Brighton fans, I found it mildly quite funny/ witty at the time
but I was talking to some Brighton fans after the match and they said opposition fans make up witty songs about Brighton being full of gays
every match and they always think they’re being witty….but it becomes tiresome when you hear it every match.

It made me think there’s the nasty vile abuse….then there’s the more subtle jokey piss taking stuff.
I remember playing Nottingham Forest a few years ago and the Kop were singing songs to Jason Lee about having a pineapple on his head.
Terry Curran or anyone with long hair we’re called a gypo with songs “where’s ya caravan”

My point is I’ve rarely ever heard any nasty racist or homophobic stuff but sometimes those type of insults are disguised as humour.

The subject of encouraging acceptance and tolerance of differences is the latest fashion but it’s probably a really important lesson in life.

Human beings have always been tribal. We try to form and recognise differences then form groups/ gangs and almost feel proud of our like minded gang.
A few decades ago the effort was to ignore differences, treat everyone the same and try to be one gang called the “human race”…it only partially worked.
Now there’s a cultural bravery for minorities to put their heads above the parapet and highlight/ promote differences and diversity again.
It’s quite alien for some people to accept that we are all different…..the trick is to accept and respect those differences.
So on one hand i’m fully behind the rainbow scarves.

The point I find odd is that there’s a push about stopping homophobic, racial, sexist abuse
but surely the push should be about stopping ALL abuse. You can imagine a Month Python sketch…with a fan wanting to intimidate an opposition player
and having to read a checklist of which insults are accepted and which are illegal with a threat of a prison sentence.
Its like a fan can call a black player all the rotten insults under the sun….but if he puts the word “black” in front of it…then it becomes illegal.
I’ve spoke to my partner about this and she basically says football should be like going to rugby, ice hockey etc.
She thinks a level of sanitisation/ fan respect would be good for the game but it’s traditionally been a place to let off some steam and be passionate about your team.
I think these days more personal abuse in general starting to be called out. The stuff that Billy Sharp has had has been widely condemned.

Ultimately playing and watching it’s a passionate game and it will never lose that. If I was playing and somebody called me a cunt I’d find it funny. Once somebody comes after your family, race, sexuality or whatever then it becomes a different story in my opinion. That’s where football needs to grow up.

I was just pointing out almost all teams had fans who sang songs to get get a rise out of someone and would use any language to do so. But i suspect it wouldnt get sung now as more people are more tolerant

Or it wouldn't get sung now as people are less tolerant of it and more able and willing to report it.

Hang on, people don't like a multi-coloured scarf because it isn't Bladey red and white with a bit of Black?

We've had yellow, orange, a sort of lilac, pink, green, jade, blue, maroon, purple and maybe a few more away colours. And as for the sanctity of Bladeyness in design, we've got the best badge ever and people love pissing about with the style and colour of that.

Hang on, people don't like a multi-coloured scarf because it isn't Bladey red and white with a bit of Black?

We've had yellow, orange, a sort of lilac, pink, green, jade, blue, maroon, purple and maybe a few more away colours. And as for the sanctity of Bladeyness in design, we've got the best badge ever and people love pissing about with the style and colour of that.
Call me a traditionalist but my blade colours are and will allways be red white and black ,away colours are just marketing faff .utb

Tell me when being a gay male has impacted on going to the lane ,complete nonsense , Darnall blades will tell you different one or two of those were gay and proud and had no problems whatsoever.how I see it is whatever your colour ,gender ,sexuality , you go to the match watch the game have your pie have your beer go home and moan about the game ,it's for everyone .unless you have a agenda utb
Can you actually read or just choosing to be ignorant, I’ve given you one example, I can give you more ….

Can you actually read or just choosing to be ignorant, I’ve given you one example, I can give you more ….
Jay don't reply
Think you said the lane was unwelcoming ,dates times quotes .to put it mildly your taking the Michael .when 99,%of people go to the lane there's no problem with anything other than the catering,the other 1 % have a axe to grind , politically or personally get a life .

Elton John became Watford chairman in 1976, we played them 3 yrs prior in 1973, and next played them in 1985. He was married in 1984.

If you were singing homophobic songs at Elton in the mid 1970’s you weren’t doing it as a Blade.

Last edited:
Jay don't reply

Think you said the lane was unwelcoming ,dates times quotes .to put it mildly your taking the Michael .when 99,%of people go to the lane there's no problem with anything other than the catering,the other 1 % have a axe to grind , politically or personally get a life .
So no-one at Bramall Lane has ever referred to an opposition player as a faggot then?

and for all your claims of BL being welcoming, if you don’t like homophobic slurs being shouted out you’re sensitive and have an axe to grind?

Why is it nonsense ,your sexuality is your own concern or should I say it should be ,it doesn't have to be shouted from the roof tops ,and the lane has allways been welcoming for anyone
As a heterosexual bloke, I'm not sure I can speak for how welcoming the Lane has felt for homosexual fans. I'm not able to take that perspective or speak with any certainty for their lived experiences.

Any initiative, small act, piece of merchandise or otherwise that is actively welcoming of all, is welcome in my book.

As a heterosexual bloke, I'm not sure I can speak for how welcoming the Lane has felt for homosexual fans. I'm not able to take that perspective or speak with any certainty for their lived experiences.

Any initiative, small act, piece of merchandise or otherwise that is actively welcoming of all, is welcome in my book.
Why just doesn't everybody just support the red white and black without a song and a dance ,nobody gives a flying f..k

Jay don't reply

You seem to be fortunate to have never been discriminated against for just being who you are, for all the hard work in trying to fight for equal rights, being called all the names under the sun to finally have some sort of equality of life is massive for the LGBTQ community, so as a gay man I’m saying to you that sometimes going to the game is like stepping back in time, theres homophobic shouting/abuse at players, other fans etc, it happens, why should I have to feel uncomfortable going to a game because of it? Are you saying this is acceptable? can you not not accept that some of these small gestures, flags, scarves, rainbow laces help break down prejudices?

Is that too hard for your brain to comprehend that because you don’t hear it or your friends haven’t that it doesn’t happen or make people feel that way?

Have a chat to the rainbowblades group and ask why they were founded, I’m pretty sure you will be enlightened and you never know may even understand why these things are important.

Back
Top Bottom