My take ...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

What can I say but I agree 100% with Pommps assessment. Get real, Brewster has had enough playtime to show his worth. Nothing achieved, not a single league goal or assist imo. Always in the wrong place when we go forward. McBurnie similar about positioning. Perhaps he should be considered for defence? MGW shows how to do it, and he is the only one learning the trade from Billy. The congratulations from Billy after his goal showed that. Yes, that's where I want it!! I really hope Enda comes back with his 2019 form, and Oh! What I would give for a fit J O'C. Midfield not there yet, Norwood's useless distribution seems to be history now, but who to replace him with is still being sorted. Fleck is Messi or Hammond, let's hope he regains the Messi status. We need to remember we are not in PL anymore. Big ugly dirty teams, crap referees, get used to it, no good moaning, no VAR. It's going to be the same all season. Slav knows this and he is gradually building the team to deal with it. Nuff said, onwards and upwards. 3 pts from an average performance. Confidence is building. Looking forward to annihilating this shit league in the New Year.

I agree it may not be RS' favoured position but all my points remain about anticipation, movement, making runs, link play.

Also he had a fair old run as a centre forward for us in a variety of formations. He's now played for three managers too.

From the evidence I've seen and the managers clearly agree he's not good enough to be a regular starter in the side in any position but I'm not convinced him playing centrally up top will work any better. In fact it hasn't as we have seen much of last season. He is not strong enough or skilled enough to hold it up and does not move enough to play that role.

Besides would we take Sharp out for him? I'd have Sharp, McGoldrick, Mousset, McBurnie, Jebbison even Burke ahead of him in that central forward role and not sure Slav is going to change his formation any time soon.
I think there is only one position he can play which is as a striker with a partner. Playing elsewhere you get a simple pass or two but nothing really productive.He appears to be very limited in his skillset and reading of the game. The goals he scored at Swansea were for the majority first time efforts from crosses into the box. He tended to just have a lash at them.

The question remains as to whether we can afford to play him regularly as he just doesn't seem to put the effort in. By that I mean he doesn't seem to be bursting a gut to get into positions.

Aren't they above us? 🤔

Yep. Lowly Luton. Beaten five-nowt at home the previous match by Birmingham City. Relegation fodder. Haven't won a game since and capitulated to a second half rally by Swansea City yesterday.

That one.

pommpey

What can I say but I agree 100% with Pommps assessment. Get real, Brewster has had enough playtime to show his worth. Nothing achieved, not a single league goal or assist imo. Always in the wrong place when we go forward. McBurnie similar about positioning. Perhaps he should be considered for defence? MGW shows how to do it, and he is the only one learning the trade from Billy. The congratulations from Billy after his goal showed that. Yes, that's where I want it!! I really hope Enda comes back with his 2019 form, and Oh! What I would give for a fit J O'C. Midfield not there yet, Norwood's useless distribution seems to be history now, but who to replace him with is still being sorted. Fleck is Messi or Hammond, let's hope he regains the Messi status. We need to remember we are not in PL anymore. Big ugly dirty teams, crap referees, get used to it, no good moaning, no VAR. It's going to be the same all season. Slav knows this and he is gradually building the team to deal with it. Nuff said, onwards and upwards. 3 pts from an average performance. Confidence is building. Looking forward to annihilating this shit league in the New Year.

Are you sure I haven't 'drummed up your support' on this?

pommpey

Yep. Lowly Luton. Beaten five-nowt at home the previous match by Birmingham City. Relegation fodder. Haven't won a game since and capitulated to a second half rally by Swansea City yesterday.

That one.

pommpey
I've come to the conclusion that you'll never be satisfied.

I've come to the conclusion that you'll never be satisfied.

Why? Is it wrong to want your team to punch it's footballing weight? It hails from the sixth biggest city in the United Kingdom, a conurbation of districts and towns from Dronfield to Stocksbridge, from Swallownest to Dore and then beyond. The city has two fierce rival clubs yet both are very slim on real success, our club in particular. We have a city centre stadium and recent resurgent success, blighted by a collapse in form and fortune last year the likes the club itself has never witnessed.

I'll be satisfied when a club such as ours achieves and maintains a Premier League place for at least ten straight seasons and more. We've never done this ... not in my lifetime. Part of that might be turning out against a freshly promoted from Div One club like Luton with our freshly relegated yet expensively arranged Premier League players and basically taking them to bits over ninety minutes - the way Birmingham City did the previous week.

If you are somewhat satisfied we achieved a sterile nowt nowt draw against Luton Town with us fielding about eighty million of players in and around the squad in purchase value alone, I can't help you. And, true to form for people such as you on posts such as this, you're talking about me, rather than the game. Well done.

pommpey

I'll be satisfied when a club such as ours achieves and maintains a Premier League place for at least ten straight seasons and more
That I can agree with. In my lifetime, we're a top 6 championship club. I'd love us to be at the top table constantly.

With regards to this season so far, it's clear to see Slav hasn't found his ideal formation or starting 11 yet. A pre-season of just 2 friendlies against some farmers and a very poor Doncaster is far from what he needed. He's basically had to use the first 4 or 5 games this season to assess his squad. That's why I don't get too down by a last gasp winner v Huddersfield or a 0-0 at Luton.

I've seen enough improvement in the last 3 games to know we'll be absolutely fine. Top 6 with ease.

That I can agree with. In my lifetime, we're a top 6 championship club. I'd love us to be at the top table constantly.

With regards to this season so far, it's clear to see Slav hasn't found his ideal formation or starting 11 yet. A pre-season of just 2 friendlies against some farmers and a very poor Doncaster is far from what he needed. He's basically had to use the first 4 or 5 games this season to assess his squad. I've seen enough improvement in the last 3 games to know we'll be absolutely fine. Top 6 with ease.

I hope so. It is certainly what I expect. But we won't get that playing formulaic 3-5-2 with Norwood playing the pivot, pinging it out to the wingbacks. It's done. Finished. And so is he. So is a lot of the predictable, beatable bollocks we fielded last year and Slav is trying to bleach out of the side. Versus Luton, it was there. Versus Hull, not so much.

We move on.

pommpey

I hope so. It is certainly what I expect. But we won't get that playing formulaic 3-5-2 with Norwood playing the pivot, pinging it out to the wingbacks. It's done. Finished. And so is he. So is a lot of the predictable, beatable bollocks we fielded last year and Slav is trying to bleach out of the side. Versus Luton, it was there. Versus Hull, not so much.

We move on.

pommpey

But Norwood played in the Peterborough game outside of a 3-5-2 formation and played well. Why the fixation on that particular player being 'done'?

Ive come to the conclusion that his knowledge of football is very poor. I will await my next paragraph of insults.

No insults. Just contempt. It's reciprocal.

If anything I post winds you up so much, stop trailing me and reading my posts. I don't pursue post-menopausal gibberings all over this forum, so kindly do the same for me. You have the option to either block or ignore me. Your choice. It will break my little heart if you do either, believe me.

pommpey

But Norwood played in the Peterborough game outside of a 3-5-2 formation and played well. Why the fixation on that particular player being 'done'?

Peterborough weren't exactly anything like an opposition we have faced in the past three years, were they? The midfield where Norwood played was left untouched and he wasn't pressed, dispossessed or under any pressure at all. As soon as the opposition midfield give Norwood the option to look up before they press him, they know where it's going. It's piss easy.

pommpey

No insults. Just contempt. It's reciprocal.

If anything I post winds you up so much, stop trailing me and reading my posts. I don't pursue post-menopausal gibberings all over this forum, so kindly do the same for me. You have the option to either block or ignore me. Your choice. It will break my little heart if you do either, believe me.

pommpey
Why post all this if you want so many people not to read it ? I find the view from your armchair ridiculous ,and why shouldnt people object when you are influencing other peoples view who dont go with your biased rubbish ?
Your stock answer to anyone who disagrees is a diatribe of big worded ,smart arse, patronising insults followed by an instruction to block you. Weird.

Peterborough weren't exactly anything like an opposition we have faced in the past three years, were they? The midfield where Norwood played was left untouched and he wasn't pressed, dispossessed or under any pressure at all. As soon as the opposition midfield give Norwood the option to look up before they press him, they know where it's going. It's piss easy.

pommpey

Neither were Hull? Despite that, according to your post that I quoted originally, they (Hull) are a fair barometer. You can't have it both ways.

Why post all this if you want so many people not to read it ? I find the view from your armchair ridiculous ,and why shouldnt people object when you are influencing other peoples view who dont go with your biased rubbish ?
Your stock answer to anyone who disagrees is a diatribe of big worded ,smart arse, patronising insults followed by an instruction to block you. Weird.

Why respond in my post if it gets down your japs eye so much? If you find what I post ridiculous, ignore it. I note - like others - you are a bit shy on countering evidence to disprove what I post as incorrect instead resorting to your own snarky, single line wankerisms just because it scratches that itch so badly.

You used to be a fucks site better on these forums and you and I have been around them some years now. These days you're like a sour old nan. And if my shit is 'big worded', 'smart arsed' and 'patronising' then it is clearly not the environment you should be engaging with, is it?

You have options. Use the fuckers.

pommpey

Why? Is it wrong to want your team to punch it's footballing weight? It hails from the sixth biggest city in the United Kingdom, a conurbation of districts and towns from Dronfield to Stocksbridge, from Swallownest to Dore and then beyond. The city has two fierce rival clubs yet both are very slim on real success, our club in particular. We have a city centre stadium and recent resurgent success, blighted by a collapse in form and fortune last year the likes the club itself has never witnessed.

I'll be satisfied when a club such as ours achieves and maintains a Premier League place for at least ten straight seasons and more. We've never done this ... not in my lifetime. Part of that might be turning out against a freshly promoted from Div One club like Luton with our freshly relegated yet expensively arranged Premier League players and basically taking them to bits over ninety minutes - the way Birmingham City did the previous week.

If you are somewhat satisfied we achieved a sterile nowt nowt draw against Luton Town with us fielding about eighty million of players in and around the squad in purchase value alone, I can't help you. And, true to form for people such as you on posts such as this, you're talking about me, rather than the game. Well done.

pommpey
This all day long, it is a disgrace that a city the size of Sheffield hasn't had a consistent presence in the top flight of English football in over 50 yrs. It is not to much to demand that changes ,and to criticize decisions on and off the pitch that have prevented that happening should be the least we should be doing as supporters of the Blades

Everyone keeps going on about how much Brewster cost, Looking back he was first linked as a young player with future potential and not for the here and now and as such it was said to be at 6 Million deal for future potential and Wilder himself said he was for the future.
Wilder then started with all the he’s our only target and whatever he costs we will pay it, Liverpool did what anyone else would in business would with a sucker offering anything they wanted for their asset and started raising the price knowing we would pay whatever they wanted. The price then went through the roof and silly bolloks even went on Sky pushing is price up by 3 million every interview he had. So my question is why is it Brewster fault that Wilder kept being that stupid and pushing his price up to stupid levels, yeah Liverpool had our pants down and we paid i the silly price they demanded stupidly but it’s still not the players fault…Fact!!! Price shouldn’t even be the issue as we valued him at that or wouldn’t have paid it.
At the time we bought him Wilder said he wouldn’t pick him as he was for a couple of years in the future and that it was future potential we were buying,. He also said if we did play him now it could be bad for his future potential as he wasn’t nowhere near ready yet, Brewster is now playing and everyone’s expecting the finished article and that he’s definitely not, he is however improving as he is expected to over the next couple of years, hence the 5 year deal. He had no say in the price we paid and needs time to develop in the way that was planned for him.
I also remember an interview with Wilder once when challenged over Rhians price saying one day the truth will come out about Brewster???? But I cannot say anything yet….
He's not improving. He's shite.

This all day long, it is a disgrace that a city the size of Sheffield hasn't had a consistent presence in the top flight of English football in over 50 yrs. It is not to much to demand that changes ,and to criticize decisions on and off the pitch that have prevented that happening should be the least we should be doing as supporters of the Blades

I was in my early teens in 1978-79 season when we went down into the 3rd tier for the first time in our history. A few pensioners informed me how Sheff United were always seen as a top flight club and it was always considered an embarrassment when ever they were in the 2nd tier, never mind the 3rd tier.

Just shows how times have change hie Blades no longer feel shame and embarrassed that we play at Championship level.
When you look at the record books…before the 2nd world war we’d spent almost our entire history in the top flight.
After the war we’ve been a disgrace and massively underperformed.

I always used to think of Watford and Crystal Palace as being small lower leagues clubs but even those 2 have had decent spells in the top flight.
Agree, a realistic target is for a club our size to play 10 consecutive seasons in the top flight, it’s not too much to ask.

I always used to think of Watford and Crystal Palace as being small lower leagues clubs but even those 2 have had decent spells in the top flight.
Agree, a realistic target is for a club our size to play 10 consecutive seasons in the top flight, it’s not too much to ask.

Wigan Athletic, Bolton Wanderers, Burnley, Sunderland, Middlesbrough, Swindon, QPR, Fulham, Stoke City, Swansea City, Wimbledon, Southampton, Charlton Athletic, even fucking Pompey have had notable spells in the PL, longer than Sheffield United anyway. And people say, 'you'll never be happy'. Fucking too right. There's one thing going from the effective third to first division, then there is staying there.

pommpey

I wasn't at the match so have had to rely on the match replay on SUTV.

I wouldn't argue with most of the scores, with a couple of exceptions:

- 2/10 for Brewster is genuine trolling. Worked hard, linked up well, some great runs, and at least fancies himself with a shot, even if they are straight down the keeper's throat or into the stands. Stop judging him on the pricetag I say and judge him as a young player trying to find his way back from a lean patch. I give him a 5/10.

- Guediora was excellent, albeit for a limited period on the pitch, but I am giving him a 7/10. The initial challenge was very reckless, but I suspect he was told to come on and
a) spray some testosterone in the faces of those horrid little tigers, and b) calm shit down. He did both both superbly, and once he got the alpha male stuff out of the way, didn't put a foot wrong. Strong and stoic in possession, with crisp, accurate passing, and intelligent positioning in defence. Norwood should be concerned because Addy seemed to match his passing range, is more mobile and significantly stronger.

I wasn't at the match so have had to rely on the match replay on SUTV.

I wouldn't argue with most of the scores, with a couple of exceptions:

- 2/10 for Brewster is genuine trolling.

It's not. It's my opinion. I refute your explanations of his workrate and shots on goal. Nothing he did was productive. Short glimpses in the first half but never any trees pulled up.

And yes, he is judged on his pricetag. He's one of our record signings FFS. Whatever the actual cost is, it should be justified in goals. It's especially important in that two veteran strikers have outperformed him in the past two seasons, and one of them cost us nowt.

Versus Hull, a centreback scored twice as many goals in one game as he has scored in 30 odd games.

pommpey

It's not. It's my opinion. I refute your explanations of his workrate and shots on goal. Nothing he did was productive. Short glimpses in the first half but never any trees pulled up.

And yes, he is judged on his pricetag. He's one of our record signings FFS. Whatever the actual cost is, it should be justified in goals. It's especially important in that two veteran strikers have outperformed him in the past two seasons, and one of them cost us nowt.

Versus Hull, a centreback scored twice as many goals in one game as he has scored in 30 odd games.

pommpey

Sorry I am not picking a fight but 2/10 is (in my opinion) ridiculous, and singles him out as THE only weak link in the side. Did he gift the opposition a goal, miss a sitter, get a needless red card, or dare I say it, a combination of all the things mentioned? No he didn't, so why score him so low? It doesn't make sense.

At least you have elaborated on 'poor kid' in your appraisal of him, so I'll give you that.

2/10 though, seriously?

Wigan Athletic, Bolton Wanderers, Burnley, Sunderland, Middlesbrough, Swindon, QPR, Fulham, Stoke City, Swansea City, Wimbledon, Southampton, Charlton Athletic, even fucking Pompey have had notable spells in the PL, longer than Sheffield United anyway. And people say, 'you'll never be happy'. Fucking too right. There's one thing going from the effective third to first division, then there is staying there.

pommpey
In my opinion a fan should never be 100% satisfied with their team regardless if league position. Even if we were pissing the league we would still want us to strive for further improvement. Thus making opinionating on potential weaknesses completely valid.

Sorry I am not picking a fight but 2/10 is (in my opinion) ridiculous, and singles him out as THE only weak link in the side. Did he gift the opposition a goal, miss a sitter, get a needless red card, or dare I say it, a combination of all the things mentioned? No he didn't, so why score him so low? It doesn't make sense.

Because apart from fleeting involvements early in the game, all we saw of him was ineffective glimpses of his presence, here and there. I do expect him to read the game a lot better, make space, run at, or around opposition players and make the opposition keeper work to save any shots he has. This isn't an uncommon occurrence either. Serially in matches he is hardly in the game and when presented with half a chance it is either scuffed, at the keeper's midriff or over the bar. Twice during that first half versus Hull a left flank attack led to the ball being hoisted over Billy's advancing head and if he is the lone CF then the far post belongs to the RAMF - Brewster's position - to be johnny-on-the-spot. As it was he was nowhere even near that area to even put in a challenge for the ball let alone attack the goal. Second half I watched closely for him (as 2nd Half was my brief for The Sheff Utd Way Fans React) and found him hiding too many times in no-man's-land in midfield. When on the ball he is still not reading other players' movements and passing and moving. He seems to want to wait for the ball to be fed to him for him to simply do the end game stuff. Compare with Billy and you have some context. Sharp digs in and hassles. He pulls one, sometimes two players away from the direction of attack and is constantly something the opposition central defenders are aware of both on and off the ball. He's a nuisance, in short. Brewster isn't. He is baggage.

Hope this makes sense. Hope also you can see I am not trolling.

pommpey

Because apart from fleeting involvements early in the game, all we saw of him was ineffective glimpses of his presence, here and there. I do expect him to read the game a lot better, make space, run at, or around opposition players and make the opposition keeper work to save any shots he has. This isn't an uncommon occurrence either. Serially in matches he is hardly in the game and when presented with half a chance it is either scuffed, at the keeper's midriff or over the bar. Twice during that first half versus Hull a left flank attack led to the ball being hoisted over Billy's advancing head and if he is the lone CF then the far post belongs to the RAMF - Brewster's position - to be johnny-on-the-spot. As it was he was nowhere even near that area to even put in a challenge for the ball let alone attack the goal. Second half I watched closely for him (as 2nd Half was my brief for The Sheff Utd Way Fans React) and found him hiding too many times in no-man's-land in midfield. When on the ball he is still not reading other players' movements and passing and moving. He seems to want to wait for the ball to be fed to him for him to simply do the end game stuff. Compare with Billy and you have some context. Sharp digs in and hassles. He pulls one, sometimes two players away from the direction of attack and is constantly something the opposition central defenders are aware of both on and off the ball. He's a nuisance, in short. Brewster isn't. He is baggage.

Hope this makes sense. Hope also you can see I am not trolling.

pommpey

Your points makes sense, but 2/10 still doesn't I am afraid to say. He'd have been hooked at half time if he had been that bad.

Anyway, opinions and all that....

Back
Top Bottom