My take ...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I'm not sure he was atrocious but felt Brewster was our second least effective player after Norrington Davies who I thought struggled all game.

He is trying but he doesn't get it to me. What I mean is he doesn't get Football. Struggles with where to run, how to get in positions and anticipating.

He has OK control and touch but is not a dribbler, hold up,link player or even that fast. He is not a physical striker or particularly good in the air. He is not a box striker nor is he a link man or runner.

His one redeeming quality is he has a hard shot but he cannot aim said hard shot.

I think we ate poorer and offer less threat when he plays. Do we just keep playing him for another 2-3 months and hope it clicks bit it's more than just clicking. The aforementioned concerns about not knowing the basics will not suddenly change I feel.

I don't see a player in him at all in the evidence I have seen. Maybe confidence is an issue but I think it's more than that. I sadly just don't think he is good enough. A flurry of shots going in for Swansea and some promise in youth football is less compelling an argument for his quality than the year of senior football we have seen.

Over a year on and I've no idea what he is.

I would rather him go on loan for 3 months in January and try and learn the game at a level where he might be able to work on his weaknesses.

We have him for 4 more seasons and we ain't getting our money back so we'd be better trying to let him develop and hoping that sees a shift. We can't just waste a spot on him for a season.

But what I can’t understand is that he constantly looks so utterly uninterested - when all else is failing, put the effort in: Utd fans will forgive a lot if a player looks like he’s busting a gut.

As we do with say, Osborn. He's not everyone's choice as a player, really in any position. But he's like others - Patterson, Monty, even Doyle ... who most of the time made up for their inadequacies with pure footballing effort. Some of them couldn't fucking pass for toffee and were regularly bypassed, dispossessed, outplayed. But they looked like they wanted it back and looked like they were playing for their pay and the shirt they wore. For that, United fans overlook and tolerate the shit aspects.

pommpey

There you go again. Talking about me. Little old me. Harrumph.

Look. For your information, when Brewster started here, he barely got a touch. For all his reputation, WIlder chasing him and stuffing Klopp's pockets with HRHs cash and finally getting his 'target' (for a PL side based upon his performances in the league Wilder got us relegated back into because of his stubbornness and obstinacy) Brewster was regularly turning out and creating fucking nowt, as a starter, as an impact sub, even sat on the bench. I used to say 'Poor kid' because I genuinely thought that the failing shower of fuckwands sat behind him were hell bent on sinking us in the Wilderball quicksand, playing it out to the flanks via Norwood's 'sweet feet' and getting bogged down in the crossing zone time and time again. It's no wonder we scored so few goals. The centre of the park was like a fucking desert and Brewster may as well have took a deckchair and a book and planted it on the opposition penalty spot, the chances he was fed. He wasn't alone. McBurnie was so frustrated he was forced to go hunting the ball and shithousing at every opportunity, Billy may as well have had a season off and the other twerp just picked the ball up and ran like Gump, straight out of the fucking stadium. So he was, 'poor kid' to me, an expensive acquisition with some or other reputation, pitched in a team of serial losers who couldn't score in a whorehouse with a ten dollar bill taped to their dicks.

Now I know that you, and a few other tender souls don't like any critique ranged at any or our players, ever, but unfortunately that's fucking life, popeye. You could spend a lot of time telling me that Alan Woodward and Keith Edwards were fucking bobbar on peppered crispbread, but I would possibly suggest you are wrong, and hitherto point at one or two pieces of evidence to counter that. Woodward's 158 goals in 538 appearances for example and the countless assists, his mercurial wingplay and a whole raft of Silentesque stats which kick your theory into the Kop as though Rob Kozluk himself did it as a cross to the back post. Edwards as well has quite a catalogue of achievement which reads over a hundred and forty goals in two hundred and sixty odd appearances for United. Brewster has done thirty odd and scored just the one, and that was against Carlisle fucking United. All other times he's turned out - this season against supposedly lower status opposition, where he was cleaning up when at Swansea - with a new manager, new line up, new shape and still he spoons shots, fails to turn up in the right areas, drifts about aimlessly and above all else, fails to be the goalscorer we thought we bought.

Now if you want, I'll open up Bandlab Sonar and me and my musical mate will work hard on a flattering song the terraces can cascade down on his troubled shoulders, as we wait for him switch the fuck on and start shitting Tiffany Cufflinks. Either way, we on this forum, like you, have the right to criticise them freely, and so it will continue. And unless you can develop some kind of data which proves us critics wrong (good luck with that), then it will continue until Brewster either starts scoring goals and being that player, or we quietly drop him and ship him out as an expensive fuck up. On recent evidence (which is what forms my judgement) I know what my money is on, and unless he has twenty-plus goals in him in the remaining games, I suggest you stop using your own animosity toward me as a foil for your naïve adoration of a misplaced young footballer, and look at why say, Billy Sharp is such an integral part of our gathering recent success., and why he is still bagging goals well into his thirties.

pommpey

More boring bollocks.

Must have took a while to put that lot of big words and sarcasm together in an effort to try and sound clever and condescending. Also like to try and sound a tough guy…interesting.

I’m not the one with a weird fascination for trying to destroy some of these lads, paper over years of Wilders success and pontificate in such a way that a crazed preacher may do.

Football is simple, and believe it or not the effect of negativity/abuse/criticism or any of those three in isolation has on human performance is generally devastating to those turning up, working hard and doing their best and being professional (unlike others at the club). Especially from people who have no idea what they are talking about, as is the case of you, and drumming up support from others to do the same amplifies that.
Amateur football managers hammering kids from the sidelines, parents calling out their kids….it’s exactly the same.

So, as you rightly pointed out this is a place to voice opinion. That can be constructive or destructive, you clearly prefer destructive I assume because you can’t offer any advice or Solutions to make it constructive due to your lack of actual knowledge.
Hence why I made the decision to avoid wasting minutes reading your bile in word form in future. Im neither a snowflake, soft, or any other term that a bloke stuck in the 70’s might want to throw my way, and I also couldn’t give two twats if you want to make some music with your buddy (good try at appearing cool and Interesting though)

Grizzly….

An entertaining read as ever, I broadly agree with a lot of it, but I feel you are too hard on Brewster. Look I cannot make a case for him as someone playing well but not having any luck, he is clearly struggling for whatever reason, & being played out of position is not helping him, & yes pro footballers should be able to adapt & put in a shift, but at least he is putting in more effort to my eyes & getting a little more involved. I can't say he will eventually become a £23 million pound player, but I do think he will come through this all the better for it, & let's remember the fee isn't down to him & is looking like a noose around his neck at the moment.
Almost forgot, but I love your oxymoron in rating Egan's performance, how can you take a whole half a point off? Not possible.

I'm not sure he was atrocious but felt Brewster was our second least effective player after Norrington Davies who I thought struggled all game.

He is trying but he doesn't get it to me. What I mean is he doesn't get Football. Struggles with where to run, how to get in positions and anticipating.

He has OK control and touch but is not a dribbler, hold up,link player or even that fast. He is not a physical striker or particularly good in the air. He is not a box striker nor is he a link man or runner.

His one redeeming quality is he has a hard shot but he cannot aim said hard shot.

I think we ate poorer and offer less threat when he plays. Do we just keep playing him for another 2-3 months and hope it clicks bit it's more than just clicking. The aforementioned concerns about not knowing the basics will not suddenly change I feel.

I don't see a player in him at all in the evidence I have seen. Maybe confidence is an issue but I think it's more than that. I sadly just don't think he is good enough. A flurry of shots going in for Swansea and some promise in youth football is less compelling an argument for his quality than the year of senior football we have seen.

I would rather him go on loan for 3 months in January and try and learn the game at a level where he might be able to work on his weaknesses.

We have him for 4 more seasons and we ain't getting our money back so we'd be better trying to let him develop and hoping that sees a shift. We can't just waste a spot on him for a season.

^this^

Frankly, I would also wager no club would take him off us for any money. If you were a manager, would you be telling your board you have been offered Rhian Brewster at x cost and you could do things in the team with him? I'd say the board would laugh their arses off and point at his dismal performances in our games.

And people snipe we are still having a go at Wilder for lumbering the club with an effective suitcase full of bricks. I note they don't have any evidence to counter the snipings. Just sentimental old bollocks and obstinate loyalty in the face of proven incapability.

I'd say he has five more appearances to grab at least three goals, preferably two in one game, and the rest where he is a fucking nuisance to the opposition, or he's dogmeat. We might slate McBurnie for his alehouse tactics, but in his limited defence, at least he does cause impact and effect, in his own way and even Gump has some attributes which could blow your skirt up, footballing wise. The fact that two veterans - Didsy and Billy - now in their autumnal years, are fucking light years ahead of this young man says it all to me.

pommpey

pommpey

Although I desperately want the lad to succeed, I can't really disagree with any of that.

If however, he is as limited all round as you suggest, why does he keep getting picked for England?
Genuine question. Clearly they see something and get something out of him. Are we the ones getting it wrong?

More boring bollocks.

Must have took a while to put that lot of big words and sarcasm together in an effort to try and sound clever and condescending. Also like to try and sound a tough guy…interesting.

I’m not the one with a weird fascination for trying to destroy some of these lads, paper over years of Wilders success and pontificate in such a way that a crazed preacher may do.

Football is simple, and believe it or not the effect of negativity/abuse/criticism or any of those three in isolation has on human performance is generally devastating to those turning up, working hard and doing their best and being professional (unlike others at the club). Especially from people who have no idea what they are talking about, as is the case of you, and drumming up support from others to do the same amplifies that.
Amateur football managers hammering kids from the sidelines, parents calling out their kids….it’s exactly the same.

So, as you rightly pointed out this is a place to voice opinion. That can be constructive or destructive, you clearly prefer destructive I assume because you can’t offer any advice or Solutions to make it constructive due to your lack of actual knowledge.
Hence why I made the decision to avoid wasting minutes reading your bile in word form in future. Im neither a snowflake, soft, or any other term that a bloke stuck in the 70’s might want to throw my way, and I also couldn’t give two twats if you want to make some music with your buddy (good try at appearing cool and Interesting though)

Grizzly….

Finished? Great.

It doesn't take long to construct a structured, well-evidenced argument, especially if you are talking about football and not individuals you don't know personally (yet have an unexplained animosity against, because they criticise players you feel read this fucking forum)

For your information (again), I am hardly 'papering over years of Wilder's success'. Do pay attention. The years of WIlder's success are effectively negated by two thirds of a year of complete collapse, thanks to his obstinacy and stupidity. And then his avoidance of responsibility for failure. Says it all to me. People love to slag Warnock (whom I have had personal interaction in the past) and yeah, on camera he is somewhat a dickhead, irresponsible and similarly obstinate. He was also an architect of failure at our club. Yet Wilder is still (to you) is somewhat lionised?

Also, if I know fuck all about 'football' and it's intricacies, what the fuck qualifications do you have, above mine? I have 'no idea what I am talking about' yet many others agree with what I say. You sound like Jeremy Corbyn supporters claiming that bellend didn't lose to an oaf like Johnson in the last election and the Red Wall collapsed because of some or other reason that Corbyn himself is unelectable. What planet are you on? I am not 'drumming up support'. That is insulting both to people who disagree with me and people who agree with me in equal measures, as though I command their free will. Grow up, for fuck's sake. They post their own views on Brewster. I'd say the majority share my disappointment about him. And if you align this forum with Sunday football and touchlines, really, you need to have a word with yourself.

Advice, or solutions? Yeah. Brewster is gonna open up 'My take ... ' read pommpey's wise words of advice and act upon them. That, above the advice and encouragement from other senior professionals around him, tactical analysts, coaches, the manager. I'll tell him exactly what to do and he'll bag twenty goals. Me and Rhian. "So, Rhian. A huge goal drought and then suddenly it's all going right. What happened?" "Well, Brian, there's this football forum and this bloke in his late fifties has been giving me advice on how to better my game and I've banged in eight goals in ten games! I'm over the moon. So I am." "Unbelievable, Jeff! Back to you in the studio!"

The last bit ... Grizzly ... really? Go and have a fucking lie down or summat, eh? And stop reading this forum.

pommpey

Finished? Great.

It doesn't take long to construct a structured, well-evidenced argument, especially if you are talking about football and not individuals you don't know personally (yet have an unexplained animosity against, because they criticise players you feel read this fucking forum)

For your information (again), I am hardly 'papering over years of Wilder's success'. Do pay attention. The years of WIlder's success are effectively negated by two thirds of a year of complete collapse, thanks to his obstinacy and stupidity. And then his avoidance of responsibility for failure. Says it all to me. People love to slag Warnock (whom I have had personal interaction in the past) and yeah, on camera he is somewhat a dickhead, irresponsible and similarly obstinate. He was also an architect of failure at our club. Yet Wilder is still (to you) is somewhat lionised?

Also, if I know fuck all about 'football' and it's intricacies, what the fuck qualifications do you have, above mine? I have 'no idea what I am talking about' yet many others agree with what I say. You sound like Jeremy Corbyn supporters claiming that bellend didn't lose to an oaf like Johnson in the last election and the Red Wall collapsed because of some or other reason that Corbyn himself is unelectable. What planet are you on? I am not 'drumming up support'. That is insulting both to people who disagree with me and people who agree with me in equal measures, as though I command their free will. Grow up, for fuck's sake. They post their own views on Brewster. I'd say the majority share my disappointment about him. And if you align this forum with Sunday football and touchlines, really, you need to have a word with yourself.

Advice, or solutions? Yeah. Brewster is gonna open up 'My take ... ' read pommpey's wise words of advice and act upon them. That, above the advice and encouragement from other senior professionals around him, tactical analysts, coaches, the manager. I'll tell him exactly what to do and he'll bag twenty goals. Me and Rhian. "So, Rhian. A huge goal drought and then suddenly it's all going right. What happened?" "Well, Brian, there's this football forum and this bloke in his late fifties has been giving me advice on how to better my game and I've banged in eight goals in ten games! I'm over the moon. So I am." "Unbelievable, Jeff! Back to you in the studio!"

The last bit ... Grizzly ... really? Go and have a fucking lie down or summat, eh? And stop reading this forum.

pommpey

Oh…so I have to stop reading the forum now eh….hit a nerve?

Think I’ll just stop reading your bollocks thanks.

Grizzly xx

Grizzly xx

Well do it then. I'll weep buckets, so I will.

Oh and as for 'drumming up support' ... you have a fanboy, yourself, predictably.

pommpey

ps: any response to this means you are still reading this shit. Go figure.

1. Please. Be my guest. Make 'My take ...' all about what you think of me, rather than the game and the debate therein, a bit like the rest of the shitposting no-marks who tend to hang about forums like these and have little to contribute.

2. Please. Be my guest. Don't read it. I'll fucking miss you, so I will ...

pommpey
Bang on. Love yr match reports & ratings mate. Usually agree but as with Deadbat sometimes don't but either way always look forward to reading. Much appreciated.

You've missed my point.

Sharp had at best an ok game. Yes he scored, but he also should’ve be booked and possibly sent off for his handling of Honeyman (I know they were both doing it but arms to the face is almost always a sending off). His all round play was also off today, but the OP gives him a 7 anyway.

Brewster get a Robinson-esque 2, despite having a great first half. He played some great through balls, got in himself with MGW and had shots from distance. Second half he tired a bit but still did ok for me.

The OP’s opinions are their own, it is a public forum after all, but this is complete bias to rate two players so differently based on today’s performances. It’s like you close your eyes when Brewster does something good and Sharp does something bad.

Sharp is a great player, one of our best, but his performances shouldn’t be judged on his reputation alone. He didn’t play that well today.

No I didn’t miss your point .

In your original post you told us that Billy Sharp who scored a fine goal , earned us a penalty and prevented a defender from getting to Egan our second goal ‘ did nothing’. ( I note this has now been modified to ‘didn’t play that well ‘)

You now tell us that Brewster had a great first half , which makes about the same amount of sense but also means I no longer have to worry as to which one of us is closing our eyes .

Meanwhile back to football! - Osborne is a great little little player, he reminds me of Mont'y et al, as someone has already posted, he picks up the loose balls, harries opposition players, runs around a lot keeping the tempo of the game up, not everything is going to work for him, it never does when your body is moving faster than your brain, (Ollie Burke!!),
Hourihane was OK and edged it over having Norwood in the side.
To be honest, Guediora frightened me to death, way to slow, always going to give a fouls away, on that cameo he was like Jag's been a good player in his day, still got a good head on him but surely we can do better.

I'm willing Brewster to come good, i'm sure they are working on his game in the background so we might have to give him more time to adapt to whatever position they think he might fit into, there were a few moments when he showed some willing but his whole "body language" is baffling, he doesn't look interested half the time, but let's give the lad more time to adapt, there is something in him, it's up to the coaches to find it!
Billy looked as though he was going to miss the penalty and so it proved, why don't players say they are not feeling it and let somebody else take the penalty ? - it's all about "body language" ( I did "body language courses back in the day, fascinating subject, along with "motivational techniques")
Anyway we are up and running but still a long way from the finished article!
I do ask myself "how many of these players could succeed in the Prem' should we get promoted (as i think we will), we would need another overhaul of the whole squad.

Love reading "Pommpey's take" and then the more sobering but equally interesting DB's report, keep up the good work lads.

Upwards and upwards

Meanwhile back to football! - Osborne is a great little little player, he reminds me of Mont'y et al, as someone has already posted, he picks up the loose balls, harries opposition players, runs around a lot keeping the tempo of the game up, not everything is going to work for him, it never does when your body is moving faster than your brain, (Ollie Burke!!),
Hourihane was OK and edged it over having Norwood in the side.

I don’t think the comparison is valid, Deano was already a legend and due a quiet spell but he was still contributing.
I’m trying to think of a player who didn’t score for 30+ games and came good, either for us or elsewhere.

Billy Sharp took quite a while to get off the mark when he returned to us in 2007-8 season. His first goal came against Coventry, which was after Blackwell had become manager. I'm not sure how many games that was, but I'm pretty sure it was fewer than 30! He'd also shown elsewhere that he was a capable goal scorer.

Last edited:
McBurnie was getting no service from one of the worst ever premier league midfields last season and hasnt had a run of games since we got a better midfield back in a league where he has a proven goalscoring record. Got to give him a run of games before any criticism is valid
A bit like I said earlier about Brewster, we might as well forget how much we spent on McBurnie. He's a lad who's scored shit loads at this level and if we can feed him chances, will score plenty again. For me he's behind Sharp for that focal point role at the moment but with the Championship's famous satdi/tuesdi to come, he'll get plenty of time on the pitch and hopefully will gain a bit confidence, his touch will improve and he'll start scoring again.

Grizzly….

I find it interesting the notion that fans on an Internet forum can make or break a players confidence/forum. On a wider level I get constant criticism on twitter/social media can become a bit of a snowball. Generally though I am not sure players will trawl through hours and hours of such vehicles for opinion? If they do then they have to realise as a top level footballer in the public eye you can get praise and criticism. It's part of sport and always will be. Maybe amplified by the range of social media about nowadays.

At games I would never boo or shout abuse at players constantly during the game (I did have a one rant at Robinson the other night mind!) but agree this can have an affect but not sure it's quite the same as junior players on a park. Professional footballers get paid vast money. It is unique job where people can be vocal in criticism towards you and I get you don't have that in 9-5 jobs for example. Equally you don't have people singing your name and clapping you off if you have had a good day!

That's the rub really. You play well, you might get cheered. You play crap, you might get jeered. It's the same worldwide.

I just don't buy this notion that footballers will fold like a pack of cards or conversely improve because they get slagged off/given advice by say Pommpey on S2!

At the end of the day it's a football forum for opinions. Good and bad. It's not going to change things if we do or don't get behind them on a message board.

^this^

Frankly, I would also wager no club would take him off us for any money. If you were a manager, would you be telling your board you have been offered Rhian Brewster at x cost and you could do things in the team with him? I'd say the board would laugh their arses off and point at his dismal performances in our games.

And people snipe we are still having a go at Wilder for lumbering the club with an effective suitcase full of bricks. I note they don't have any evidence to counter the snipings. Just sentimental old bollocks and obstinate loyalty in the face of proven incapability.

I'd say he has five more appearances to grab at least three goals, preferably two in one game, and the rest where he is a fucking nuisance to the opposition, or he's dogmeat. We might slate McBurnie for his alehouse tactics, but in his limited defence, at least he does cause impact and effect, in his own way and even Gump has some attributes which could blow your skirt up, footballing wise. The fact that two veterans - Didsy and Billy - now in their autumnal years, are fucking light years ahead of this young man says it all to me.

pommpey

pommpey
We'd all love the poor kid to come good. The next five games hypothesis probably isn't far short. Slav likes to tinker around for a while and it would be good to see Brewster up front if we had the luxury of not caring about results.

To be honest, I kept my expectations low. Teams are normally looking to loan players out of they have any real believe they have potential so Liverpool's insistence that we buy him was a pretty big warning sign.

But he's done it before so let's hope that returns.

No I didn’t miss your point .

In your original post you told us that Billy Sharp who scored a fine goal , earned us a penalty and prevented a defender from getting to Egan our second goal ‘ did nothing’. ( I note this has now been modified to ‘didn’t play that well ‘)

You now tell us that Brewster had a great first half , which makes about the same amount of sense but also means I no longer have to worry as to which one of us is closing our eyes .

Yes you did, the point being that Sharp is rated as a 7/10 and Brewster a 2. This basically ignores anything good RB did and ignores the bad things that BS did.

Unless we’re saying Brewster basically contributes the same, if not less, than someone like Robinson who literally gives goals away.

Grizzly xx

I also wasn’t initially Pompey’s biggest fan regards his constant criticism of Sheff Utd and confident opinionated style.
However bare in mind Pompey is (like me) on the older side and with age you tend to lack fear regards giving alternative opinions and don’t even fear criticism.
Pompey sets high standards and high expectations regards SU and he does seem to be consistent and genuinely want the best for us.
It was also noticed how much he praised (almost gushed) the SU v Peterborough performance, so that proves he’s not a WUM being negative just to seek attention.

I prefer to think of Pompey as the Roy Keane of this forum.
Deadbat doesn’t over praise us either….he’s more of a Paul Scholes type pundit regards us, still quite harsh and critical but not as extreme as Keane.

To be fair I like Roy Keane as a pundit, he (rightly) has very high expectations towards his Man Utd players and isn’t afraid to criticise.
He also doesn’t give a damn what any thinks about it and I like that quality.
Even when Pogba plays well Keane will still say “thats what he’s paid for, he suppose to be one of the worlds best players…so playing well should be the minimum”

Think it’s good to hear the positive (happy clapper type) and negative (slasher type) criticism when it’s backed up by some logic.
The truth is often somewhere in between.

Last edited:

I so so want him to succeed. Partly due to the fee we've paid for him and partly because he seems like a pretty sound lad who's blatantly really struggling.

Unfortunately I just don't see it happening for him here, and it's something I feared when we signed him. Our interest was reported whilst Swansea were still in the play offs so watched him closely in the games and he did virtually nothing. The youtube clips obviously made him look decent and 10 in 20 is not to be sniffed at but after watching the PO games I really did wonder why we paid so much for him and it looks like I've been proved right.

I also wasn’t initially Pompey’s biggest fan regards his constant criticism of Sheff Utd and confident opinionated style.
However bare in mind Pompey is (like me) on the older side and with age you tend to lack fear regards giving alternative opinions and don’t even fear criticism.
Pompey sets high standards and high expectations regards SU and he does seem to be consistent and genuinely want the best for us.
It was also noticed how much he praised (almost gushed) the SU v Peterborough performance, so that proves he’s not a WUM being negative just to seek attention.

I prefer to think of Pompey as the Roy Keane of this forum.
Deadbat doesn’t over praise us either….he’s more of a Paul Scholes type pundit regards us, still quite harsh and critical but not as extreme as Keane.

To be fair I like Roy Keane as a pundit, he (rightly) has very high expectations towards his Man Utd players and isn’t afraid to criticise.
He also doesn’t give a damn what any thinks about it and I like that quality.
Even when Pogba plays well Keane will still say “thats what he’s paid for, he suppose to be one of the worlds best players…so playing well should be the minimum”

Think it’s good to hear the positive (happy clapper type) and negative (slasher type) criticism when it’s backed up by some logic.
The truth is often somewhere in between.

Paul Scholes was one of my favourite players growing up. I tried to play like him with long range passing, vision and control of games with occasional quality goal. As Webding will attest I'm not sure I achieved that in the GT Sports Shnday League pitches around South Yorkshire mud heaps around the mid 90s.

To finally be compared to him means a lot. Albeit as a dreary, negative albeit dry witted pundit 😏

Nah, there’s setting high standards and then there’s unfairly targeting certain individuals.

As for being of a certain age and having the opinion earned and confident in that opinion….yes while age generally does bring wisdom it really only equates to experience of learning/study or through life experience. So in football I would take being a player, coach, manager etc….or maybe academic study in coaching if not professional.
I’m not having a fan, who’s grown up in the 70’s and 80’s and in a time when footballers were on the Piss, eating what they want and playing through a quagmire with a ball weight of a medicine ball being any more knowledgeable due to their age.
I’d happily concede that my 21 year old lad who came up through the academy system to youth team has forgotten more about the game in his young years learning the game than I of my years will ever know having watched greats such as Keegan, Hoddle, Gazza, Platini etc etc kick a ball about and attending the Lane while in Div 4 and above.

So while I get your point, I don’t agree….and in fact think it funny you compare him to Roy Keane….generally because I have often been compared to him in both looks and temperament!!though sadly not footballing ability.

I find it interesting the notion that fans on an Internet forum can make or break a players confidence/forum. On a wider level I get constant criticism on twitter/social media can become a bit of a snowball. Generally though I am not sure players will trawl through hours and hours of such vehicles for opinion? If they do then they have to realise as a top level footballer in the public eye you can get praise and criticism. It's part of sport and always will be. Maybe amplified by the range of social media about nowadays.

At games I would never boo or shout abuse at players constantly during the game (I did have a one rant at Robinson the other night mind!) but agree this can have an affect but not sure it's quite the same as junior players on a park. Professional footballers get paid vast money. It is unique job where people can be vocal in criticism towards you and I get you don't have that in 9-5 jobs for example. Equally you don't have people singing your name and clapping you off if you have had a good day!

That's the rub really. You play well, you might get cheered. You play crap, you might get jeered. It's the same worldwide.

I just don't buy this notion that footballers will fold like a pack of cards or conversely improve because they get slagged off/given advice by say Pommpey on S2!

At the end of the day it's a football forum for opinions. Good and bad. It's not going to change things if we do or don't get behind them on a message board.
^this^.

Times a billion.

Cheers DB.

I'd like to believe players have enough on their hands and also enough integrity to be bothered by opinions on messageboards. There is also the fact that what I say is simply 'opinion'. It's not influential and if it were, and players were in some way affected by it, I'd doubt the purpose of boards like this. There is far more damage hurled off the terraces at Bramall Lane every other Saturday than on here and when you are taking a throw in, for example, hearing ten or twenty shitheads launching neat poison at vast decibels in your direction will have far more detriment than some bloke opining you are underperfoming on a dark corner of the internet. I'm sure every time he miscontrols a pass, blasts the ball at the keeper's midriff or finds row Z, there is a huge array of bile yelled from the stands and I do know this - you do hear most, if not all of it, from all directions. If we are regulated by the feelings of posters such as Grizzly into giving anything but our opinions and especially into ones that agree with his, then we might as well shut the forum down.

Note: Not everyone agrees with my marks - I expect that. Many also give their own marks and some even back that up with how they feel about Brewster ('he had a good first half but faded in the second') Fucking perfectly okay with me. Firstly, we are talking about the game and discussing how we saw it individually (the whole point of 'My take ... ' and DBs very different approach in his reviews) and not steering the conversation directly over to what a cunt I am for simply having an opinion different to theirs. If we simply accept underperfomance and offer empty platitudes as 'encouragement' then we all become supplicant and acceptant of it. It's not what being a footy supporter is all about, is it?

And note: Grizzly is still in this thread he has so much dislike for and is still reading my posts.

pommpey

Billy's pen was well hit, hard and accurate, but the keeper guessed right and managed to get a hand to it. Nine times out of ten pens hit like that go in. If the keeper had gone the other way the commentator would have been praising Sharp for an excellent strike. It was actually hit better than other Sharp pens that hit the back of the net
No - it wasn.t. It rolled along the ground. Why dont they go for pace rather than placement.?

So Brewster was 26 million now .I’m sure his price goes up every game he doesn’t score.

Paul Scholes was one of my favourite players growing up. I tried to play like him with long range passing, vision and control of games with occasional quality goal. As Webding will attest I'm not sure I achieved that in the GT Sports Shnday League pitches around South Yorkshire mud heaps around the mid 90s.

I can confirm that his achievement of this was as successful as my attempt to emulate Franco Baresi.

Is anybody going to acknowledge that Brewster is a ST being asked to play Right/Left AM?

I agree it may not be RS' favoured position but all my points remain about anticipation, movement, making runs, link play.

Also he had a fair old run as a centre forward for us in a variety of formations. He's now played for three managers too.

From the evidence I've seen and the managers clearly agree he's not good enough to be a regular starter in the side in any position but I'm not convinced him playing centrally up top will work any better. In fact it hasn't as we have seen much of last season. He is not strong enough or skilled enough to hold it up and does not move enough to play that role.

Besides would we take Sharp out for him? I'd have Sharp, McGoldrick, Mousset, McBurnie, Jebbison even Burke ahead of him in that central forward role and not sure Slav is going to change his formation any time soon.

Back
Top Bottom