My take ...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

When you take into account his wages I'd say £26m is about right for the cost of brewster to date

If, as we found out recently, Lowe was on £15k a week as a back up player.. Someone coming in as a 'star' striker is probably on around £30k to £40k per week, so the overall outlay on brewster over his five year contract is probably somewhere between £30 and £35m
Since when have wages been taken into account when describing the fee of a player? Did John Fleck cost nothing when he moved on a free or do you add in five year’s wages as well?
Brewster will cost United £23.5m if he lands on the moon, basically. Lowe was not on £15k either

I’ll agree with pommpey and I’ll disagree with him
But I’ll always respect his opinions which are close to mine
Apart from Brewster, I so want this kid to come good it’s getting painful
Last season fuck knows what Wilder wanted or how he played this lad
I’d give him this season and play him regular
It took Everton 3 seasons to get the best from the player they got of us
Who did that turn out for em ?
Agree bout midweek though league is our target

Thought Brewster grew into the game, got more involved 2nd half. Looked lost 1st half though.

I also think that marking Baldock down needs to consider that he had Brewster playing in front of him and therefore had 2 men a lot of the time.

Hourihane was only an improvement on Norwood due to his set piece delivery. I thought he was poor in general play. Sloppy passing at times and no real drive. Hopefully he picks up a bit.

Brewster was about 5/10. Started on the right but drifted into the middle alot and didn't make runs off the ball to get into good positions going forward. We moved MGW fully to the right hand side in the second half.Seems a bit lost and waiting for the ball to come to him. As far as I am concerned the only place to play him is in a front 2 and then see if he can cut the mustard.
He does need to show more effort and looks lazy at times.

Baldock had his hands full all day and RND looks like he can be beaten easily when he is defending.

MGW was excellent and really tries to make an impact.
Overall good result against a poor team....we take it and move on.....hopefully we can keep building momentum.
I meant to say that whilst Norwood has had better games than CHs today, his corners are still fairly meh - whereas we scored two goals from CHs pin point corners, so hard to call but overall not much to complain about today.

When you take into account his wages I'd say £26m is about right for the cost of brewster to date

If, as we found out recently, Lowe was on £15k a week as a back up player.. Someone coming in as a 'star' striker is probably on around £30k to £40k per week, so the overall outlay on brewster over his five year contract is probably somewhere between £30 and £35m
I’m not sure how long Brewster’s contract is but the annual cost of him without wages is around £5.75m assuming a 4 year contract. So it’s not accurate to say he’s cost us £26m so far.

The problem I have with him at the moment is that his future value isn’t looking great based on performances.

I meant to say that whilst Norwood has had better games than CHs today, his corners are still fairly meh - whereas we scored two goals from CHs pin point corners, so hard to call but overall not much to complain about today.
Agree.

And Sharp obviously gets a 7, despite doing nothing. He scored a goal you’d expect him to with the amount of time and space he had, missed a penalty and should have been sent off, but let’s ignore all that for now.
He had time and space because he created both. Give him credit for those attributes

Play the post , not the poster !
Give us your precis of what the poor kid added to the team

No need for me to say owt other than the kid hasn’t delivered what he did at Swansea. The lad is talented, of that there is no doubt but there’s one fucking thing for sure, that calling him out and reminding him of the fee paid won’t fucking help will it!!

He’s got in good positions, had attempts on goal and worked hard. He’s desperate to get goals for this team so needs fucking support. Not the drivel and shit assessment of fans with some weird agenda like the OP and the like. Maybe some good will, support, encouragement and then confidence might help.
Billy Sharp was fucking shit for us apparently after we bought him first time….turns out folk were wrong and have short memories too.
Fact remains he’s young and will get there. Whether that’s with us or not is in part in our hands too.

Agree with most of that Pomps.
Particularly Brewster. I posed the question on one of the Blades facebook pages half way through the second half asking why he was still on the pitch?

Some of the replies astounded me:

'Thought he played well'. ' Brewster had a great game. Are you for real'. 'Leave him alone, that was his best game for us'. 'Played well today...got stuck in and linked up well'. 'Clown of the day goes to Ken'. 'Brewster put a shift in'. 'Why. Just fuckin why you fucking plank'.

All I can think is they were watching a different game to me. For the first 10 minutes I thought he looked like a player. After that, anonymous and unproductive. No nowhere near the price tag he came with.

Breaks my fucking heart, so it does.

Tell me. How many goals did he score today?

How many goals did one of our centre backs score today?

Give you a clue: It's twice as many as Brewster has scored, since he came to the club.

pommpey
I made a point of watching him closely against Preston. He looked utterly either completely disinterested or clueless. Positional sense non-existent, willingness to run hopeless, "getting stuck in" (not a concept I'm a great fan of, but useful if nowt else is working), totally alien to him. He's shite, I can't see how anyone can defend him.

If ever a Director of Football was required it was in Chris Wilders last year. I’m still totally fucked off with his total waste of club money and his manipulation of the situation to piss off into the sunset with £4 million. “One of our own”. Don’t make me fucking laugh. “Out for himself” more like.

I am feeling a lot happier than a few weeks ago. Great support today, well done shipmates.

We certainly seem capable of winning some matches and climbing the table. MGW is a revelation, Davies will get better when he has played a few more games. Hourihane is better than Norwood

I agree with Pomps. How on earth can Berge get injured in the warm up? Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't that happen the last time when he was out for months? The clubs fitness and conditioning team need to get with it.

If MGW goes back in January that will severely hinder any chance we have of a top six place. Hopefully, we can raise funds to sign him permanently, time perhaps to sell others who have not performed and lower our wage bill.

More positives than negatives, in last week or so.

UTB.

HH

And Sharp obviously gets a 7, despite doing nothing. He scored a goal you’d expect him to with the amount of time and space he had, missed a penalty and should have been sent off, but let’s ignore all that for now.

Yes , dead lucky that he happened to be in the right place at exactly the right time , perfectly time his leap and guide his header precisely into the bottom corner .

He’s just another in a long line of lucky strikers who’ve built a career out of scoring goals that any of us could have put away ........

FFS .

Agree with most of that Pomps.
Particularly Brewster. I posed the question on one of the Blades facebook pages half way through the second half asking why he was still on the pitch?

Some of the replies astounded me:

'Thought he played well'. ' Brewster had a great game. Are you for real'. 'Leave him alone, that was his best game for us'. 'Played well today...got stuck in and linked up well'. 'Clown of the day goes to Ken'. 'Brewster put a shift in'. 'Why. Just fuckin why you fucking plank'.

All I can think is they were watching a different game to me. For the first 10 minutes I thought he looked like a player. After that, anonymous and unproductive. No nowhere near the price tag he came with.
I think all your points are valid but it’s not his fault that we paid so much to get him. I hope we can
Leave the transfer fee out of any criticism of the lad
I

Generally answering to some points.
I feel Osborn has been part of the renaissance post-Luton but like everyone on our books for longer than a season or two comes under the old adage "if he was any good, he'd be at Liverpool (or whoever) now". Ergo, I don't expect 46 games of consistency from most players in our squad. I like him - wasn't his best game for us today but works well on the left in front of RND.
Thought CH had a good game - different to Norwood. Less ping, more "effort" or probably fairer "involvement". That said Norwood has been back to some of his best post-Luton. Happy to have both options as it stands.
I feel like I've spent the last god knows how long waiting for Brewster to come good. When he found himself starting, I had my usual high hopes/cross everything in the hope he will score only to be frustrated once more. One thing that did strike me... as we've all seen, he has been given the first 60 or the last 15 minutes to score, break his league duck and open the floodgates to being the new Brian Deane [NOTE: many will remember Deano's goal drought and distinctly under-confident performances broken by getting his name on the scoresheet at Stamford Bridge when the ball went in off his arse. I think I've said every game "he just needs the ball to deflect in off his arse to get rid of the stigma" about Brewster]. For most part of the game, he was ineffective and resorting to last season/first part of this season's gambit of no-one-is going-to-set-up-a-goal-for-me shooting from distance to little effect (though mostly straight at the goalie than hitting row Z/the advertising hoardings). I'm losing heart now though. I wish he'd realised that after the last few games, our new rampaging attacking midfield lead by MGW will set him one up if he gets in the right area. I'm sure I might have one or two excuse cards left for him but today they were definitely in my other trouser pocket.
which brings us to MGW. I text my kids in our family group chat on deadline day and asked if they'd read his comments on signing. I had big hopes based on his enthusiastic comments and have not been disappointed. I wonder if Wolves will take Berge (and Brewster) for him.
Overall today. Derby game, niggly, high tempo, great end to end stuff in the first half. Got a bit sick of their behaviour at corners, so glad we punished them specifically on two occasions. All in all, very pleased with the progress post-Luton. Not afraid to mention the play offs already - daring to dream of top two.

UTB

Brian Deane's goal drought lasted for a total of 10 league games, but he did score two goals 7 or 8 games into that run in a league cup game against Bristol City.

Not the drivel and shit assessment of fans with some weird agenda like the OP and the like.

There you go again. Talking about me. Little old me. Harrumph.

Look. For your information, when Brewster started here, he barely got a touch. For all his reputation, WIlder chasing him and stuffing Klopp's pockets with HRHs cash and finally getting his 'target' (for a PL side based upon his performances in the league Wilder got us relegated back into because of his stubbornness and obstinacy) Brewster was regularly turning out and creating fucking nowt, as a starter, as an impact sub, even sat on the bench. I used to say 'Poor kid' because I genuinely thought that the failing shower of fuckwands sat behind him were hell bent on sinking us in the Wilderball quicksand, playing it out to the flanks via Norwood's 'sweet feet' and getting bogged down in the crossing zone time and time again. It's no wonder we scored so few goals. The centre of the park was like a fucking desert and Brewster may as well have took a deckchair and a book and planted it on the opposition penalty spot, the chances he was fed. He wasn't alone. McBurnie was so frustrated he was forced to go hunting the ball and shithousing at every opportunity, Billy may as well have had a season off and the other twerp just picked the ball up and ran like Gump, straight out of the fucking stadium. So he was, 'poor kid' to me, an expensive acquisition with some or other reputation, pitched in a team of serial losers who couldn't score in a whorehouse with a ten dollar bill taped to their dicks.

Now I know that you, and a few other tender souls don't like any critique ranged at any or our players, ever, but unfortunately that's fucking life, popeye. You could spend a lot of time telling me that Alan Woodward and Keith Edwards were fucking bobbar on peppered crispbread, but I would possibly suggest you are wrong, and hitherto point at one or two pieces of evidence to counter that. Woodward's 158 goals in 538 appearances for example and the countless assists, his mercurial wingplay and a whole raft of Silentesque stats which kick your theory into the Kop as though Rob Kozluk himself did it as a cross to the back post. Edwards as well has quite a catalogue of achievement which reads over a hundred and forty goals in two hundred and sixty odd appearances for United. Brewster has done thirty odd and scored just the one, and that was against Carlisle fucking United. All other times he's turned out - this season against supposedly lower status opposition, where he was cleaning up when at Swansea - with a new manager, new line up, new shape and still he spoons shots, fails to turn up in the right areas, drifts about aimlessly and above all else, fails to be the goalscorer we thought we bought.

Now if you want, I'll open up Bandlab Sonar and me and my musical mate will work hard on a flattering song the terraces can cascade down on his troubled shoulders, as we wait for him switch the fuck on and start shitting Tiffany Cufflinks. Either way, we on this forum, like you, have the right to criticise them freely, and so it will continue. And unless you can develop some kind of data which proves us critics wrong (good luck with that), then it will continue until Brewster either starts scoring goals and being that player, or we quietly drop him and ship him out as an expensive fuck up. On recent evidence (which is what forms my judgement) I know what my money is on, and unless he has twenty-plus goals in him in the remaining games, I suggest you stop using your own animosity toward me as a foil for your naïve adoration of a misplaced young footballer, and look at why say, Billy Sharp is such an integral part of our gathering recent success., and why he is still bagging goals well into his thirties.

pommpey

Yes , dead lucky that he happened to be in the right place at exactly the right time , perfectly time his leap and guide his header precisely into the bottom corner .

He’s just another in a long line of lucky strikers who’ve built a career out of scoring goals that any of us could have put away ........

FFS .

You've missed my point.

Sharp had at best an ok game. Yes he scored, but he also should’ve be booked and possibly sent off for his handling of Honeyman (I know they were both doing it but arms to the face is almost always a sending off). His all round play was also off today, but the OP gives him a 7 anyway.

Brewster get a Robinson-esque 2, despite having a great first half. He played some great through balls, got in himself with MGW and had shots from distance. Second half he tired a bit but still did ok for me.

The OP’s opinions are their own, it is a public forum after all, but this is complete bias to rate two players so differently based on today’s performances. It’s like you close your eyes when Brewster does something good and Sharp does something bad.

Sharp is a great player, one of our best, but his performances shouldn’t be judged on his reputation alone. He didn’t play that well today.

The whole double Jeopardy thing means that red cards are not given with penalties anymore unless it's a dangerous tackle or a no tackle attempted foul. Eg shirt pull.
I thought they'd done away with the double jeopardy thing

Brian Deane's goal drought lasted for a total of 10 league games, but he did score two goals 7 or 8 games into that run in a league cup game against Bristol City.
I don’t think the comparison is valid, Deano was already a legend and due a quiet spell but he was still contributing.
I’m trying to think of a player who didn’t score for 30+ games and came good, either for us or elsewhere.

Brewster absolutely needs to go out on loan. His confidence is shot and his work rate and fitness need to improve a lot. We have created a dud from a promising young England prospect. We need to take the hit by subsidising his wages and if he starts to show a recovery elsewhere we can either sell him or welcome him back into a team in which he can perform. Until January it’s cup games and work him like fuck in training. It’s plain and clear he is miles behind Ndiaye,Sharp, Didsy and Mcburnie playing him is not improving his confidence and he’s a waste of a shirt.

I’m not sure how long Brewster’s contract is but the annual cost of him without wages is around £5.75m assuming a 4 year contract. So it’s not accurate to say he’s cost us £26m so far.

The problem I have with him at the moment is that his future value isn’t looking great based on performances.
Wilder is quoted as saying it was £20m up front with the rest based on appearances, so in terms of cash out of the club it's probably actually nearer £24m to date assuming he's paid £2m a season

Looking at his statistics alone his value must be near zero at the moment 1 goal against a league two side no assists in nearly 40 appearances. Some on here think he played well but I just didn't see it. They key indicator will be whether Slav puts him in the team next week against Derby. I'd be very surprised if starts after that performance, I imagine he will be a unused sub.

Wilder is quoted as saying it was £20m up front with the rest based on appearances, so in terms of cash out of the club it's probably actually nearer £24m to date assuming he's paid £2m a season

Looking at his statistics alone his value must be near zero at the moment 1 goal against a league two side no assists in nearly 40 appearances. Some on here think he played well but I just didn't see it. They key indicator will be whether Slav puts him in the team next week against Derby. I'd be very surprised if starts after that performance, I imagine he will be a unused sub.
2 points here:

1) The £20m up front will still be paid in instalments, it’s not literally £20m on day one. Not many transfer deals are done on that basis. It’s just that we’ve committed to pay them £20m whatever happens.

2) ‘Cash’ and ‘cost’ aren’t the same thing. He has ‘cost’ us the amortisation on his contract at the moment (value of transfer/years of contract x actual years he’s been with us). We might be paying the cash for it over an agreed period of time but it’s still not actual ‘cost’ in our books, just a cash outflow.

Everyone keeps going on about how much Brewster cost, Looking back he was first linked as a young player with future potential and not for the here and now and as such it was said to be at 6 Million deal for future potential and Wilder himself said he was for the future.
Wilder then started with all the he’s our only target and whatever he costs we will pay it, Liverpool did what anyone else would in business would with a sucker offering anything they wanted for their asset and started raising the price knowing we would pay whatever they wanted. The price then went through the roof and silly bolloks even went on Sky pushing is price up by 3 million every interview he had. So my question is why is it Brewster fault that Wilder kept being that stupid and pushing his price up to stupid levels, yeah Liverpool had our pants down and we paid i the silly price they demanded stupidly but it’s still not the players fault…Fact!!! Price shouldn’t even be the issue as we valued him at that or wouldn’t have paid it.
At the time we bought him Wilder said he wouldn’t pick him as he was for a couple of years in the future and that it was future potential we were buying,. He also said if we did play him now it could be bad for his future potential as he wasn’t nowhere near ready yet, Brewster is now playing and everyone’s expecting the finished article and that he’s definitely not, he is however improving as he is expected to over the next couple of years, hence the 5 year deal. He had no say in the price we paid and needs time to develop in the way that was planned for him.
I also remember an interview with Wilder once when challenged over Rhians price saying one day the truth will come out about Brewster???? But I cannot say anything yet….

Everyone keeps going on about how much Brewster cost, Looking back he was first linked as a young player with future potential and not for the here and now and as such it was said to be at 6 Million deal for future potential and Wilder himself said he was for the future.
Wilder then started with all the he’s our only target and whatever he costs we will pay it, Liverpool did what anyone else would in business would with a sucker offering anything they wanted for their asset and started raising the price knowing we would pay whatever they wanted. The price then went through the roof and silly bolloks even went on Sky pushing is price up by 3 million every interview he had. So my question is why is it Brewster fault that Wilder kept being that stupid and pushing his price up to stupid levels, yeah Liverpool had our pants down and we paid i the silly price they demanded stupidly but it’s still not the players fault…Fact!!! Price shouldn’t even be the issue as we valued him at that or wouldn’t have paid it.
At the time we bought him Wilder said he wouldn’t pick him as he was for a couple of years in the future and that it was future potential we were buying,. He also said if we did play him now it could be bad for his future potential as he wasn’t nowhere near ready yet, Brewster is now playing and everyone’s expecting the finished article and that he’s definitely not, he is however improving as he is expected to over the next couple of years, hence the 5 year deal. He had no say in the price we paid and needs time to develop in the way that was planned for him.
I also remember an interview with Wilder once when challenged over Rhians price saying one day the truth will come out about Brewster???? But I cannot say anything yet….
Great points.

Let’s assume we paid a quarter of what we actually did. Around the £6m mark you suggest.

Lessen the disappointment does it ?

UTB

Pleased with today's performance. Hull are amongst a string of teams we have played recently who we 'should' beat yet, like lowly Luton, were we to play like we did against them, they could embarrass us badly.

Key changes today made the difference, some good, some bad. Norwood on the bench, Hourihane in, unfortunately Ndaiye not well and a last minute swap out of Berge for Brewster and therefor a lineup change meant we looked okay, in control, but far from settled. Okay, thank fuck we didn't field the utter footballing liability that is Robinson* and wewere forced into a last minute change thanks to Berge getting injured during the warm up. How the flying fuck does that happen, by the way? With the intense, expensive surgery what kept him out of the team (but well paid) last year and the expensive physio and biometric conditioning top-level professional athletes like he receive. how the fuck do you get injured doing some stretching and warm ups and cone work designed to actually stop you getting injured during the actual game? The fucker is made by McVities, isn't he? Last week, comes on, shows us some promise, this week, gets crocked during the warmup and doesn't even play. Like Moussett, he's another great signing by Wilder, isn't he?

Anyway I was a bit dismayed at the chances popped across their area and no one but Billy there or thereabouts gambling and some dead sloppy passing from the likes of Davies, and particularly Osborn meant we didn't quite have it all our own way, this against a pretty abject Hull side down on their luck. Billy's goal was well crafted and taken and when you think that MGW was possibly at primary school when Billy started scoring goals like that for us and others it shows how well the Wolves loanee reads the experienced players to get the ball to them. Did think the penalty was a red card, and it was a decent save from the spot kick but we deserved our lead at half time and it was no surprise Slav didn't change anything. Wolves however brought on the shithousing Honeyman and Cannon and we capitalised on their concentration on such gash play when Eegs ditched his marker to nod us two up. Same thing twelve minutes later in fact - Honeyman practically lifting MGW off the deck, the dirty fucking pisstreak, and Eegs just did his job while they all argued amongst themselves.

Did think that the back four is still adapting to the missing centreback. George was having a torrid time all match against Lewis Potter and so it came to pass when the little fucker stole in front of him at the back stick. But elsewhere I thought we (generally) controlled thinks well and deserved the three points.

Olsen 6/10: Standard saves, caught underneath a long cross to the back stick though. Early days for him to settle in
Baldock 5/10: Ran a bit ragged by Lewis Potter. Is still adapting and doesn't venture up the pitch as much as RND on the other flank
Egan 7/10: Two very well taken goals and very good marshalling at times although Hull didn't offer much of a threat until Slater came on and then Egan loses a whole half mark for failing to control for their disallowed goal
Davies 6/10: A bit sloppy at times. He is not Jack O'Connell. Non one has been as good as JO'C have they?
RND 6/10: Another one who looks sloppy and a bit unfocussed at times in possession. He does support the attack down the left flank but gets himself boxed in easily
Hourihane 7/10: Thought he made a difference in the centre. Nothing outstanding, just a lot more composed and confident both on and off the ball than Norwood
Fleck 6.5/10: In and out of the game. When 'in', he is great and sees the space opening up in front of him. When 'out', it's ponderous, dismal and backward facing.
Brewster 2/10: Dreadful. Again, I am struggling to see what twenty six million quid has bought here. His control, his shooting, his interplay and his passing is so pisspoor. Okay, he was dropped into Berge's place in the RAMF role but he should be running at oppositions and being that person who gambles on the ball across the box. A few times the ball was centred today and Billy is running near post, no fucker on the back stick. We haven't got wingbacks like Freeman any more to get on the end of that - in this formation it is the RAMF job to steal in and get the goal. And I see him simply drifting about in midfield, effectively 'out of the game'.
Gibbs-White 8/10: Another bright spark performance. Christ what I would give to see HRH flog McBurnie, Brewster and Breadstick Berge and make a bid for this chap
Osborn 6/10: Another typical bustling about but not really achieving much performance from him. This is becoming a bit of a norm and to be honest, is a bit wasteful. He doesn't (really) get a great deal done for all his exertions. And he isn't a LAMF is he?
Sharp 7/10: Loses a whole point for missing the penalty, but gave us an hour and a bit of proper centre forward stuff. Just want him to go on forever, please.

Guediora 5/10: Pointless striping of Cannon to get booked on his debut but he looked capable, calm and controlled and isn't in a hurry to get shut as soon as the ball is at his feet
McBurnie 6/10: Changed the point of the attack somewhat
Basham (unmarked as he wasn't on long enough) Nice, deserved reception from the fans

A decent, workmanlike dispatching of Hull City who a few seasons ago were punching way above their weight, but are seemingly destined to struggle.

Frankly couldn't give a fat fuck if Slav fielded a team of up and comers on Tuesday against the Scummers and we get dildoed endwards and lengthways. The Milk Cup is of no importance to us here. We should also dispatch Derby County next week and ready ourselves for a key game against Boro afterwards to build momentum.

Seems like the Blades are back, though ...

pommpey
Cheers Pommpey bit harsh on Brewster though

I think all your points are valid but it’s not his fault that we paid so much to get him. I hope we can
Leave the transfer fee out of any criticism of the lad
I
I cannot agree more. Criticising a player because someone else paid a big fee for him is unfair.
By all means criticise his input, but leave out what he cost unless you are criticising the club.
Looking back at his contribution today I think he was ok, but has a lot to learn.His shooting is reasonably good, but I would have preferred McBurnie today, even though he cost a lot of money !!!!!!!!

I made a point of watching him closely against Preston. He looked utterly either completely disinterested or clueless. Positional sense non-existent, willingness to run hopeless, "getting stuck in" (not a concept I'm a great fan of, but useful if nowt else is working), totally alien to him. He's shite, I can't see how anyone can defend him.
It’s exactly this. The fee and the wages aren’t his fault, and he’s obviously desperately out of form. I feel sorry for him.

But what I can’t understand is that he constantly looks so utterly uninterested - when all else is failing, put the effort in: Utd fans will forgive a lot if a player looks like he’s busting a gut. Brewster, I’m afraid, spends most of his time wandering around aimlessly or standing still, watching what’s going on around him. He‘ll occasionally get the ball break to him, whereupon he’ll try and beat a man, and then, as often as not, punt it into the crowd or straight at the keeper. Buck your ideas up, lad. How about trying to get on the end of some of those overhit crosses to the back post?

Back
Top Bottom