CONFIRMED Ben Davies signs on loan

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Agree. I still think we could do with an imposing cover player at centre half, still worry that we could be dominated aerially / physically at the back.

A keeper if / when Ramsdale goes.

And a midfielder or two. Vieira challenges Norwood, but we have nobody (of quality) pushing Fleck or Berge.
Who do you think would come to sit on the bench and do you think it would be sensible use of our limited resources to spend it on cover when we have young kids and Bash who we could bring in for short term cover?

Agree. I still think we could do with an imposing cover player at centre half, still worry that we could be dominated aerially / physically at the back.

A keeper if / when Ramsdale goes.

And a midfielder or two. Vieira challenges Norwood, but we have nobody (of quality) pushing Fleck or Berge.

I know what you mean, but unless we're going to play three then I can't see anyone first team ready coming in. Maybe we can pick up a good young player from the lower leagues as cover to develop. We still need another CB for me. Especially if Bash is going to be expected to cover in midfield as well.

I think we need a first choice creative midfielder as well and another young midfielder to develop. If Berge goes, another as well.

I'd want Vieira Berge and then a new signing in front of them. Norwood covers for Berge. Fleck/Bash for Vieira

I think we really need to look at bringing a couple in permanently, even if they're just players who will back up first teamers.

I know what you mean, but unless we're going to play three then I can't see anyone first team ready coming in. Maybe we can pick up a good young player from the lower leagues as cover to develop. We still need another CB for me. Especially if Bash is going to be expected to cover in midfield as well.

I think we need a first choice creative midfielder as well and another young midfielder to develop. If Berge goes, another as well.

I'd want Vieira Berge and then a new signing in front of them. Norwood covers for Berge. Fleck/Bash for Vieira

I think we really need to look at bringing a couple in permanently, even if they're just players who will back up first teamers.
Currently we have lopata, Gordon and the incoming lad from rangers as young centreback cover. I think some will go on loan but I think they might be viewed as out long term options as successors to bash.

Currently we have lopata, Gordon and the incoming lad from rangers as young centreback cover. I think some will go on loan but I think they might be viewed as out long term options as successors to bash.
They need to be out on loan (at least the first two) getting experience of men's football, for me. Lopata is a candidate for maybe the occasional game against a big striker but not really convinced his all round game is good enough yet.

I do wonder actually how good these youngsters are. I mean, we won the league but the league is somewhere between the Championship and League 1. I've not seen anything to suggest any of them are ready for a Championship promotion challenge.

He have to have some kind of long term term plan. We have an aging and stale squad. In a perfect world you'd try and move a couple on and bring a couple of fresh players in. I'd like to see anyone who they think has potential to play games at this level next season to be out on loan in league 1 or league 2.

lopata looks a good prospect but i suspect ben davies has been brought in to form a centre back partnership with egan in a back 4 which i think is slavs preferred system although it does give us the option of a back 3 of basham egan and davies if we revert back to that way of playing could be a very good signing

lopata looks a good prospect but i suspect ben davies has been brought in to form a centre back partnership with egan in a back 4 which i think is slavs preferred system although it does give us the option of a back 3 of basham egan and davies if we revert back to that way of playing could be a very good signing
We’re clearly going with a 4 so it’s Basham and Robinson as backup. As backups go there’s certainly worse in this league.

Happy with that. Hopefully helps everyone further up the pitch trust the left side of our defence again.

Yeah.

I get MUFCs stance on that one too. If they send him out on a season-long loan and loves his time at United, he can effectively walk away from Old Trafford on a free at the end of the season.

If they tie him down on a contract and he loves his time here, we have to pay a sizeable fee for a contracted player
They did the same thing with Henderson if I remember correctly. We waited whilst he negotiated a new contract, then once this was done they loaned him to us.

Should be a Good signing I hope. Don’t think we could have asked for much more to plug a clear gap in the squad.

A decently quick left footed centre back, who’s comfortable on the ball and in a 2 and proven at this level sounds exactly what Slav would want. Also an upgrade if we do want to keep a 3 at times.

I’ve complained about the lack of signings so far, so can only praise the board for getting one over the line.

RV and a couple of creative players and we’ll hopefully start to look like a side capable of challenging at the top end of the table.

Last edited:
Seems a great signing on paper. The fact he is comfortable on the ball may just help you to push up a bit and bridge that gap between midfield and attack. Sometimes it only takes one or two signings for things to click, lets hope this and Vieira are those. When he went to Liverpool there were a lot of good things said about the lad.

They need to be out on loan (at least the first two) getting experience of men's football, for me. Lopata is a candidate for maybe the occasional game against a big striker but not really convinced his all round game is good enough yet.

I do wonder actually how good these youngsters are. I mean, we won the league but the league is somewhere between the Championship and League 1. I've not seen anything to suggest any of them are ready for a Championship promotion challenge.

He have to have some kind of long term term plan. We have an aging and stale squad. In a perfect world you'd try and move a couple on and bring a couple of fresh players in. I'd like to see anyone who they think has potential to play games at this level next season to be out on loan in league 1 or league 2.
In the context of a united academy side they look really good and quite a few have probably earned the chance to go and test themselves in men’s football at football league level. Jebbison, seriki, Gordon, lopata and brunt are the ones I’d like to see do that. That’s a great number all at once and whether they kick on from here or not is a bit of a coin flip really. Also there’s another group behind them who need a bit longer in the oven but have a real chance staking a claim to be ready for men’s football this time next year brooks, Maguire, arblaster, Osula, Hackford, peck and lankshear if he keeps smashing them in for the 18’s.

In terms of are they ready to play in a championship promotion side on a consistent basis no probably not but we’ve only really seen two youngsters in my time who were at that level when they broke through and that’s naughton and walker and walker had had a loan first. There’s a chance some of these lads can be top notch players but they look a few years away from being able to command a starting berth for us and of course it’s worth saying that not all will make it because that’s the way it is. They need loans to help their development but also to but good performances in men’s football on their cv’s so they can come back and demand playing time based on their accomplishments not just their academy performances. I think if we’re still in the championship next year you might see a couple included in the first team plans but I also think you’ll see us have to fight tooth and nail to keep them.

To be fair he’s sat in a darkened room answering very bland questions after what’s probably been quite a long day
Agreed. Probably been a frantic day. He said he had to drive over, got lost a few times. Then was probably here there and everywhere sorting stuff out, so is probably a bit knackered and feeling like talking. Not everyone has the oratory skills of Barrack Obama either.

we will defensively be a lot stronger with davies and viera coming in which should give berge licence to play further forward if he stays now we need the creative midfielder and a pacey wide striker and as daft as it might sound wouldnt suprise me if another striker is brought in weve got to start converting some of these chances were creating

Critical player losses for us have been Coutts, Duffy, JOC & Henderson. If this lad heals the wound that was inflicted in losing JOC then we may be in with a decent shout of bouncing back to the Prem. There's still a great big hole where little Duffy was though.......

Back
Top Bottom