Dion Sanderson

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Or maybe we concentrate our efforts finding a LCB, rather than Bash cover
I’m not against this signing at all. Bash has only got 2/3 more seasons with us at the level we hope to be at. Don’t forget we’ve lost Jagielka too who was cover for Egan.

Sanderson could be a signing now that’s with us for however long we can keep him.

I hope similar effort is going into a Lundstrum / O’Connell replacement though all other positions are covered in my opinion.

I’m not against this signing at all. Bash has only got 2/3 more seasons with us at the level we hope to be at. Don’t forget we’ve lost Jagielka too who was cover for Egan.

Sanderson could be a signing now that’s with us for however long we can keep him.

I hope similar effort is going into a Lundstrum / O’Connell replacement though all other positions are covered in my opinion.

Bash is 33 and worked in a unique set up. His time might be done already. New manager has potentially new ideas and wants different things than someone who can get into the other sides box from rcb.

Last edited:
There's surely no reason why a right footer can't play at LCB is they're not expected to overlap?

Bash is 33 and whilst he's a fit lad we play more games and if we are are going to be challenging for promotion there will be little chance of resting players nut I can't imagine he's likely to play 90 minutes for the majority.

There's surely no reason why a right footer can't play at LCB is they're not expected to overlap?

Bash is 33 and whilst he's a fit lad we play more games and if we are are going to be challenging for promotion there will be little chance of resting players nut I can't imagine he's likely to play 90 minutes for the majority.

Not ideal but not the end of the world. Maguire manages to play LCB fairly well despite being right footed.

I'm more concerned about the lack of cover for Egan. Jagielka provided it last season - who would do so next season?

Not ideal but not the end of the world. Maguire manages to play LCB fairly well despite being right footed.

I'm more concerned about the lack of cover for Egan. Jagielka provided it last season - who would do so next season?

Having watched the game on Saturday and the way we set up I'm not sure the back 3 will be expected to get up and overload so I agree a left footer at LCB probably isn't a necessity like it was before. The width and getting behind was generally coming from the 2 wide WB/MF's.

Maybe Slav has seen enough from some of the youngsters to be able to act as cover in certain positions or feels the loan market will be the way to go this season that we don't need a massive amount of permanent signings in.

Kyron Gordon is 19 now. Don't follow the youth sides close enough to know if he's ready for the step up though.

Kyron Gordon is 19 now. Don't follow the youth sides close enough to know if he's ready for the step up though.
I've only seen a few of the U23s games but I would guess a loan move would be his next step.

Isn’t particularly tall for a centreback and hasn’t quite filled out yet so I’d suggest he’s not ready for champ football yet. He’s certainly not like Maguire, Kennedy or even graham we’re at his age. Looks a slip when stood next to someone like RND for example who’s a bit older and filled out more. That said he’s great on the ball and positions himself really well he’s got a real chance of making it but probably isn’t going to be an option for us this year.

We need two new ones really, I'd guess. In an injury crisis one of the kids could sub in or Stevens/Baldock.

No Ampadu, No Bryan (crosses fingers), No Jags. We've basically got Robinson, Egan and Bash. Bash is obviously 33. We'll struggle to loan someone as back-up or loan someone who we can't guarantee a start. Clarke may have been that person but obviously not by the look of it. There are a few young PL players who would fit the bill as well who played in the Championship last year but whether their clubs would loan to the same level is another thing.

Young. Got potential. Decent price. Gerrim in.

Eh?
It’s hugely debatable if he’s got 2 more seasons at this level nevermind at the level we hope to be at. One thing which isn’t debatable is if we go to a back four in our current league then we would need a Bash replacement now.
Bring someone in now and give them chance to bed in over the season and hopefully we stick with 3 at the back so Bash gets some game time before he gets to bow out gracefully.

The Egan role is by far the easiest to replace though, although we should be looking to upgrade with someone better bringing the ball out.
In fairness to Bash though, he did look like he was aware of his need to improve in that area.

Last edited:
it's a bit Bashphemy to say this but I would quite like a Sanderson-Egan-Norrington-Davies back three. the two wide are athletic and comfortable on the ball, meaning they're able to help hide Egan's pace with recovery runs aswell as being able to break the lines with passes and step into midfield on the ball which Jokanovic was really wanting from the defenders in the Europa Point friendly. RND doesn't resolve the very real issue we had there last season aerially without O'Connell and that would be the biggest issue with that defence.

agreed.. think we got way too accustomed in the Wilder era to this idea that players can only play on the side of the pitch according to their strongest foot.

Look at Denmark for example, they played a Left footed right back and right footed left back, just a different tactic of playing into the centre rather than overloading the wings and making crosses.

agreed.. think we got way too accustomed in the Wilder era to this idea that players can only play on the side of the pitch according to their strongest foot.

Look at Denmark for example, they played a Left footed right back and right footed left back, just a different tactic of playing into the centre rather than overloading the wings and making crosses.
In the Euros one of the commentators was talking about how inverted wingers (lefties playing on the right and righties on the left) was becoming a common theme. Cutting in onto their stronger foot.

Bash is 33 and worked in a unique set up. His time might be done already. New manager has potentially new ideas and wants different things than someone who can get into the other sides box from rcb.
I can still see Bash in the championship at 35. He’s one of the fittest players in the squad, can play 2/3 positions and didn’t really have an abundance of pace to lose.

He 100% needs replacing if we manage to go back up & continue with this system

I agree. The same thinking from CW that meant only John Fleck was allowed to take corners from the right, which almost invariably resulted in an opposition attack.

Interested to know why anyone thinks Sanderson is an upgrade on Basham at this present time? The only upgrade is age. The lad has never played above league one level and may yet prove to be another big club academy prospect who is over valued. As back up and one for the future he could be ideal.but not to go straight into the first team.

As it stands a back 3 of Basham, Egan, Robinson is more than good enough for the championship.

We definitely need more bodies with only RND good enough for the first team to add to the above. Id be looking for a ready made first team player such as Wallace from Millwall who could replace Robimson and act as back up to Egan if needed. You could maybe add Sanderson or a.premier league loan player (Ampadu again?) to this to give 6 plauers to cover 3 places

Just seen a report that indicates Birmingham are in for him as well. Villa stealing targets last season, West Brom challenging us for signings this season and now Birmingham join the race.

Can the whole of Birmingham and its surrounding areas simply fuck off, please?

Wouldn't be surprised if Wolves turned around and said they won't deal with us at this rate.

West Midlands can do one.

Just seen a report that indicates Birmingham are in for him as well. Villa stealing targets last season, West Brom challenging us for signings this season and now Birmingham join the race.

Can the whole of Birmingham and its surrounding areas simply fuck off, please?

Wouldn't be surprised if Wolves turned around and said they won't deal with us at this rate.

West Midlands can do one.
If we as a parachute team can’t compete with Birmingham for fees then that would be a major red flag

If we as a parachute team can’t compete with Birmingham for fees then that would be a major red flag
Or just evidence that they are cheating again - like they did a few years ago. Mr Bowyer is hardly squeaky clean is he

Birmingham are looking at a loan, should be able to gazump with a permanent deal surely?

Back
Top Bottom