Brentford model

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

If you read what I was addressing, it was the bit about “doesn’t like signing”.

He doesn’t like playing them because the ones we’ve signed have been shite. That’s where any attention should be focussed.

He's actually said he prefers signing British players.

He's actually said he prefers signing British players.
But that’s different to “doesn’t like signing foreigners”, when he’s signed 5 in the last year or so.

He had an understandable model that was based around a cohesive group - which lead to unbelievable success. There was no pressure to alter that model. Then we tried when the momentum was halting, and failed.

The question over all transfers is why so many, including the foreigners, have been shite.

The real problem has been the focus over potential, rather than immediate quality. It’s that, not geography, that has stumped us.

But that’s different to “doesn’t like signing foreigners”, when he’s signed 5 in the last year or so.

He had an understandable model that was based around a cohesive group - which lead to unbelievable success. There was no pressure to alter that model. Then we tried when the momentum was halting, and failed.

The question over all transfers is why so many, including the foreigners, have been shite.

The real problem has been the focus over potential, rather than immediate quality. It’s that, not geography, that has stumped us.
Your last para sums up the problem for me, though I suppose the argument is that immediate quality is cheaper (or can be loaned) from the continent.

Your last para sums up the problem for me, though I suppose the argument is that immediate quality is cheaper (or can be loaned) from the continent.
Yeah, I think the wage structure killed us.

Troy Deeney and Ben Foster (for example) would have cost a fraction in fees, but exploded the wage bill. They’d have been more ready than Brewster and Ramsdale, who’ve measured up woefully short today.

Would that have been the start of wages spiralling out of control and a long term demise, or the beginning of a real foothold in the premier league - impossible to know for sure.

What we do know is that the path we chose failed. How much Wilder is culpable is up for debate. Certainly in part, though he’s earned the benefit of the doubt for me.

Back
Top Bottom