50 years ago today

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The late 60s / early 70s teams are just before my time, didn't start going until '75 ... question for fans from that era, how much did they rate John Tudor? Was he better than Bill Dearden, could they have worked as a front two? Was John Tudor good enough for the old, old First Division?

The late 60s / early 70s teams are just before my time, didn't start going until '75 ... question for fans from that era, how much did they rate John Tudor? Was he better than Bill Dearden, could they have worked as a front two? Was John Tudor good enough for the old, old First Division?
john tudor was a natural goalscorer whereas billy dearden although a goalscorer worked harder for the team and was very brave yes they could have worked together gil reece was another underated striker and also worked very hard for the team

I’m with you all the way on this. And looking back, I feel lucky to have had as a childhood hero someone who throughout his life seems to have continued to be a good human-being. Made the most of his considerable talent, and always treated others well. A good role-model for any walk of life. It was unfortunate for me that I had no goalkeeping talent and am a miserable old git...
aye yaye ya yaye hodgy is better than yashin mick jones is better than eusebio and wednesday are in for a thrashing lol sang that a few times swaying on the shoreham end

I’m with you all the way on this. And looking back, I feel lucky to have had as a childhood hero someone who throughout his life seems to have continued to be a good human-being. Made the most of his considerable talent, and always treated others well. A good role-model for any walk of life. It was unfortunate for me that I had no goalkeeping talent and am a miserable old git...
We share a lot......admiration and respect for 'the great man'.........a goalkeeper with little talent.......and ageing badly 👍👍😂😂😂😂

how much did they rate John Tudor?

He was popular with Blades fans. In March/April 1970 many Blades fans wrote to the Green Un criticising Harris for not picking Tudor enough and they felt it was one of the main reasons why we missed out promotion in 1970. Tudor was a Rowley signing so Harris preferred Addison as he was good at holding the ball up

Was he better than Bill Dearden, could they have worked as a front two?

Different types of strikers, Dearden was a good battler and quick, Tudor was more stylish and acrobatic. Tudor and Dearden started together in 20 league and 3 Cup games

Was John Tudor good enough for the old, old First Division?

Definitely, he was popular at Newcastle

He was popular with Blades fans. In March/April 1970 many Blades fans wrote to the Green Un criticising Harris for not picking Tudor enough and they felt it was one of the main reasons why we missed out promotion in 1970. Tudor was a Rowley signing so Harris preferred Addison as he was good at holding the ball up

Different types of strikers, Dearden was a good battler and quick, Tudor was more stylish and acrobatic. Tudor and Dearden started together in 20 league and 3 Cup games

formed a great partnership with malcolm mcdonald but forever a blades legend by planting the ball between grummits legs in oct 70

27/1/1971

I still clearly remember that at around 6pm on that Wednesday evening, out of boredom I got into the toybox in darkness in the living room (well there wasnt much to do at home in the evening when it is dark!). Unexpectedly my mum opened the lid as she wanted to tell me something. She had heard from the Calendar News that United had signed Trevor Hockey from Birmingham. He was a player I had heard of but I wasnt sure what he looked like or what position he plays in (I did see him when we won with a Tudor goal at St Andrews on 10/10/1970 but I hadnt really noticed him). It was the first time we had signed a player since we signed John Barnwell and Bill Dearden in April 1970. When my dad had got home from work the first thing I did was to tell him that we had signed Trevor Hockey from Birmingham. He seemed positive but I dont think he really remembered what Hockey looked like.

In the next morning on his way to work my dad picked up the Daily Express from the local newsagent and decided to buy the Morning Telegraph too only because he wanted to see the report of us signing Hockey but he got a shock when he found news that would disappoint me so he decided to return home to wake me up with the Morning Telegraph. I still remember the shock and confusion when I saw the big photo (see below) on the back page. There were 5 people in the photo so my dad left me to work out what had happened. There was Dick Wragg (our chairman), John Hope, David Ford, John Tudor and Joe Harvey (Newcastle manager). I got horrified when I had slowly began to realise that John Tudor, one of my favourite players and someone I often spoke to outside the John Street players entrance after matches, had left us to join Newcastle! I paid little attention to John Hope and David Ford (both from Newcastle- I knew about Ford and that he scored for Wendy in the 1966 FA Cup final but not heard of Hope) who had signed for us in the exchange deal. My dad wasnt planning on going to Oxford for our next match in two days time but he then said "We will go to Oxford now" hoping that I would calm down but I then said "Look at John in the photo looking happy to leave us for Newcastle!". He had to tell me that as a professional footballer it would be daft for him to turn down a chance to play in the 1st division again and play under a manager who rates him. My dad then wondered if the signing of keeper John Hope meant that he is to replace Hodgy (he was a big fan of Hodgy but I noticed that he showed disappointment in him more often when he made mistakes and letting in soft goals during the season) straight away or is seen as a future 1st teamer putting pressure on Hodgy to play better despite that we have a reserve keeper in Graeme Crawford.

Ted Kent, a teacher at my school, Maud Maxfield, asked me over to his classroom to have a chat about our three signings and the sale of John Tudor. He talked more about John Hope and he thought that he would be a replacement for Hodgy in the future but not in two days time or in the near future.

I have never seen a photo of Hockey signing for us (transfer fee was £40,000) and am not sure if he was the first signing on that Wednesday or was the last. Maybe on that evening my mum had missed Calendar News announcement of our signings from Newcastle with Tudor going the other way and she just had caught Hockey's name at the end?

View attachment 104026

Great account of the events 50 years ago.

I can't remember the Trevor Hockey news on Calendar. It was while I was doing my paper round the next day that I found out the news. Took me ages to finish the round reading all the back pages about the new signings.

Interesting explanation by your dad, Silent regarding John Tudor leaving. 'You can't blame a professional footballer if a first divison club comes calling'.

That's what Kevin McCabe has been telling us for years every time we sell someone.

I was gutted when we sold Mick Jones. My dad was less subtle - 'United are a selling club and always will be'.

He could well have said 'That's life. Get used to it'.

27/1/1971

I still clearly remember that at around 6pm on that Wednesday evening, out of boredom I got into the toybox in darkness in the living room (well there wasnt much to do at home in the evening when it is dark!). Unexpectedly my mum opened the lid as she wanted to tell me something. She had heard from the Calendar News that United had signed Trevor Hockey from Birmingham. He was a player I had heard of but I wasnt sure what he looked like or what position he plays in (I did see him when we won with a Tudor goal at St Andrews on 10/10/1970 but I hadnt really noticed him). It was the first time we had signed a player since we signed John Barnwell and Bill Dearden in April 1970. When my dad had got home from work the first thing I did was to tell him that we had signed Trevor Hockey from Birmingham. He seemed positive but I dont think he really remembered what Hockey looked like.

In the next morning on his way to work my dad picked up the Daily Express from the local newsagent and decided to buy the Morning Telegraph too only because he wanted to see the report of us signing Hockey but he got a shock when he found news that would disappoint me so he decided to return home to wake me up with the Morning Telegraph. I still remember the shock and confusion when I saw the big photo (see below) on the back page. There were 5 people in the photo so my dad left me to work out what had happened. There was Dick Wragg (our chairman), John Hope, David Ford, John Tudor and Joe Harvey (Newcastle manager). I got horrified when I had slowly began to realise that John Tudor, one of my favourite players and someone I often spoke to outside the John Street players entrance after matches, had left us to join Newcastle! I paid little attention to John Hope and David Ford (both from Newcastle- I knew about Ford and that he scored for Wendy in the 1966 FA Cup final but not heard of Hope) who had signed for us in the exchange deal. My dad wasnt planning on going to Oxford for our next match in two days time but he then said "We will go to Oxford now" hoping that I would calm down but I then said "Look at John in the photo looking happy to leave us for Newcastle!". He had to tell me that as a professional footballer it would be daft for him to turn down a chance to play in the 1st division again and play under a manager who rates him. My dad then wondered if the signing of keeper John Hope meant that he is to replace Hodgy (he was a big fan of Hodgy but I noticed that he showed disappointment in him more often when he made mistakes and letting in soft goals during the season) straight away or is seen as a future 1st teamer putting pressure on Hodgy to play better despite that we have a reserve keeper in Graeme Crawford.

Ted Kent, a teacher at my school, Maud Maxfield, asked me over to his classroom to have a chat about our three signings and the sale of John Tudor. He talked more about John Hope and he thought that he would be a replacement for Hodgy in the future but not in two days time or in the near future.

I have never seen a photo of Hockey signing for us (transfer fee was £40,000) and am not sure if he was the first signing on that Wednesday or was the last. Maybe on that evening my mum had missed Calendar News announcement of our signings from Newcastle with Tudor going the other way and she just had caught Hockey's name at the end?

View attachment 104026
Long time reader, first post.
This thread brings back a lot of memories for me as my first match at BDTBL was 17/10/70 against Orient, as posted a few pages back by Silent, with John Tudor one of our scorers in a 3-1 win. Tudor & Alan Woodward were my favourites at that time & I was in awe when my father took me to Atkinson’s on The Moor where Tudor & Woodward were doing some publicity event & I got their autographs.
Great memories, happy days & I’ll keep reading this thread with interest.

30/1/1971

Oxford 1 (Smithson pen) Blades 2 (Dearden 2)

One of my favourite away matches ever! New signings John Hope and Trevor Hockey made their debuts, Frank Barlow was recalled to the side, Gil Reece, who was in and out of the side for most of the season also returned (although he played at the Chesterfield friendly the previous week). John Tudor had left us for Newcastle, John Barnwell was dropped from the side, Geoff Salmons relegated to the sub's bench and sad to say, I think Hodgy did travel with the team and in his autobiography he said Harris had told him in the coach that he wouldnt be playing.

It was a surprise to see that our new signing in the middle of the pitch sporting a beard! I couldnt think of any footballers at the time that had a beard! Hockey was very vocal and very keen at winning the ball (Strange that reporter Frankie Taylor only gave him a 5!). Hope kept coming out of crosses and catching them which made my dad stand up from his seat and applauding him because it was a long time since we had a keeper cutting out crosses by coming out and catching them, Hope made a brave save or two too. I do not remember what the goals were like and I had forgotten until this week that Oxford's penalty was twice taken. The win took us to 2nd place in the table but Luton, with two games in hand, were only a point behind us and their next match is at the Lane! Highlights of the Oxford v Blades match was shown on Southern tv in the next day and I have never seen the footage.

You may note that Peter Howard praised in his Star summary Frank Barlow wishing that his boo-boys had seen Frank's performance. He wrote in the following week's Green Un that when the players were getting off the team coach after arriving at the Manor Ground before the match, "a so called Blade" shouted "BARLOW!!" and then said a rude word before telling him that he shouldnt be in the team. Howard was disgusted at the stick Barlow got but he was glad that it didnt not stop Barlow from playing well.

After the match, my dad and I went outside the players entrance to see the players board the coach, Eddie Colquhoun patted on my head as I was wearing a Blade cap and he was saying "Hello young Blade!". When Oxford's manager Gerry Summer came out of the players entrance, my dad pointed me to him and said "he was a good player for us". John Hope was friendly and signing autographs for anyone who requested one and he greeted me too. As I used to meet John Tudor after matches, now he was gone (I am still in touch with him via his wife on Facebook) but that day was the beginning of my "friendship" with John Hope!

On the way back to my dad's car we looked for a chippie but could only get chips from a Chinese take away. I didnt enjoy the chips so I threw half of the portion away. Unfortunately the car wouldnt start so my dad had to call the AA (he got his membership after learning his lesson when the car broke down at Luton 8 weeks earlier) and we eventually got home!

OxfordGreenUNheadline.jpg

OxfordGreenUN1.jpg
OxfordGreenUN2.jpg
OxfordGreenUN3.jpg
OxfordGreenUN4.jpg
OxfordGreenUN5.jpg
Oxfordreport.jpg
OxfordTaylor1.jpg
OxfordTaylor2.jpg
OxfordTaylorratings.jpg
OxfordStar.jpg
1611962804327.png
1611962886071.png

30/1/1971

One of my favourite away matches ever! New signings John Hope and Trevor Hockey made their debuts, Frank Barlow was recalled to the side, Gil Reece, who was in and out of the side for most of the season also returned (although he played at the Chesterfield friendly the previous week). John Tudor had left us for Newcastle, John Barnwell was dropped from the side, Geoff Salmons relegated to the sub's bench and sad to say, I think Hodgy did travel with the team and in his autobiography he said Harris had told him in the coach that he wouldnt be playing.

It was a surprise to see that our new signing in the middle of the pitch sporting a beard! I couldnt think of any footballers at the time that had a beard! Hockey was very vocal and very keen at winning the ball (Strange that reporter Frankie Taylor only gave him a 5!). Hope kept coming out of crosses and catching them which made my dad stand up from his seat and applauding him because it was a long time since we had a keeper cutting out crosses by coming out and catching them, Hope made a brave save or two too. I do not remember what the goals were like and I had forgotten until this week that Oxford's penalty was twice taken. The win took us to 2nd place in the table but Luton, with two games in hand, were only a point behind us and their next match is at the Lane! Highlights of the Oxford v Blades match was shown on Southern tv in the next day and I have never seen the footage.

You may note that Peter Howard praised in his Star summary Frank Barlow wishing that his boo-boys had seen Frank's performance. He wrote in the following week's Green Un that when the players were getting off the team coach after arriving at the Manor Ground before the match, "a so called Blade" shouted "BARLOW!!" and then said a rude word before telling him that he shouldnt be in the team. Howard was disgusted at the stick Barlow got but he was glad that it didnt not stop Barlow from playing well.

After the match, my dad and I went outside the players entrance to see the players board the coach, Eddie Colquhoun patted on my head as I was wearing a Blade cap and he was saying "Hello young Blade!". When Oxford's manager Gerry Summer came out of the players entrance, my dad pointed me to him and said "he was a good player for us". John Hope was friendly and signing autographs for anyone who requested one and he greeted me too. As I used to meet John Tudor after matches, now he was gone (I am still in touch with him via his wife on Facebook) but that day was the beginning of my "friendship" with John Hope!

On the way back to my dad's car we looked for a chippie but could only get chips from a Chinese take away. I didnt enjoy the chips so I threw half of the portion away. Unfortunately the car wouldnt start so my dad had to call the AA (he got his membership after learning his lesson when the car broke down at Luton 8 weeks earlier) and we eventually got home!

View attachment 104294

View attachment 104293
View attachment 104299
View attachment 104301
View attachment 104302
View attachment 104303
View attachment 104304
View attachment 104306
View attachment 104307
View attachment 104308
View attachment 104309
View attachment 104314
View attachment 104315

Chris Wilder in January 2021 talks about 'big moments'.

It cannot be underestimated how this week 50 years ago was a 'big moment' for the Blades.

The transfer events and this result at Oxford was to shape our next 5 years. To many of us this was the start of the best years of supporting the Blades.

Long time reader, first post.
This thread brings back a lot of memories for me as my first match at BDTBL was 17/10/70 against Orient, as posted a few pages back by Silent, with John Tudor one of our scorers in a 3-1 win. Tudor & Alan Woodward were my favourites at that time & I was in awe when my father took me to Atkinson’s on The Moor where Tudor & Woodward were doing some publicity event & I got their autographs.
Great memories, happy days & I’ll keep reading this thread with interest.

Welcome on board!

Don't be a stranger now you've broken your duck.

Silent for the Oxford game you weren't sat in that little stand in the corner of the ground, next to the open away end?

I remember going in that stand when we got hammered 5-1 there in 1984. I think that was the game that provoked a bit of an outspoken reaction from Porterfield in the press that his team needed an injection of new faces (I guess this was aimed at the chairman Reg Brealey as Porterfield had signed virtually no one since the previous season's promotion). I think the week after he signed John Burridge and then not long after Phil Thompson on loan from Liverpool and Mel Eves from Wolves.

I also remember going to the Manor Ground when we won 2-0, when Bruce was the manager, and getting piss wet through on the away end, looking at that little stand in the corner and thinking I wish I was in there!!!

Silent for the Oxford game you weren't sat in that little stand in the corner of the ground, next to the open away end?

I remember going in that stand when we got hammered 5-1 there in 1984. I think that was the game that provoked a bit of an outspoken reaction from Porterfield in the press that his team needed an injection of new faces (I guess this was aimed at the chairman Reg Brealey as Porterfield had signed virtually no one since the previous season's promotion). I think the week after he signed John Burridge and then not long after Phil Thompson on loan from Liverpool and Mel Eves from Wolves.

I also remember going to the Manor Ground when we won 2-0, when Bruce was the manager, and getting piss wet through on the away end, looking at that little stand in the corner and thinking I wish I was in there!!!
Yes, I was sat in the stand pictured below. There was no "away end" in 1971

1612000175914.png

4 of us were on the side terrace opposite the main stand that day can remember hockey barking orders out and hope being very assured in goal can remember it snowing some part of the day think it might have been a few miles outside oxford on way in oxfords fans were in a little shed behind one goal and other end was open with a few trees behind

4 of us were on the side terrace opposite the main stand that day can remember hockey barking orders out and hope being very assured in goal can remember it snowing some part of the day think it might have been a few miles outside oxford on way in oxfords fans were in a little shed behind one goal and other end was open with a few trees behind

Yes there was snow that day, I remember our coach driver having the radio on all the way as the match was in doubt. Trevor Hockey must have met the team at the ground as his " blue velvet" car ( Triumph Herald I think ) was in the car park. We were initially stopped by police from approaching it but when they realised we were Blades they let us through. As said earlier it seemed like the start of a new era. I had never known a time that Hodgy wasn't first choice keeper.

HBT you will have seen both the 61 era and 71 era teams, question for you who was the best of the two teams?

I know the 71 lot are always put out there as the de facto entertaining United team, but wasn't the 61 lot more successful, promotion, 5th place finish in the top tier, and by rights should have played in Europe in the 62 Fairs Cup (they only didn't due to underhand tactics from the pigs), much better in the cups, FA Cup semi final, 2 or 3 quarter finals, couple of 5th rounds. I guess if you took the attacking flair of the 71 team and the defensive capabilities of the 61 team you'd have the perfect team!

I was too young to see either, but how would this look as a best of XI from both eras:-

Hodgkinson
Badger - Colquhoun - J Shaw - G Shaw
Woodward - Currie - Richardson - Salmons
Pace - Dearden
That defence was definitely the best weve had in my lifetime and the attack of the 70's team was also the best in my lifetime
in my opinion.
I think putting the two together we would have won something.

That defence was definitely the best weve had in my lifetime and the attack of the 70's team was also the best in my lifetime
in my opinion.
I think putting the two together we would have won something.
yes it was finlay we basically played 4-2-4 with hockey and currie as the 2 in midfield woody and geoff salmons the wingers and it was fast and exciting football best in my 60 years of following the blades

30/1/1971

View attachment 104294

View attachment 104293
View attachment 104299
View attachment 104301
View attachment 104302
View attachment 104303
View attachment 104304
View attachment 104306
View attachment 104307
View attachment 104308
View attachment 104309
View attachment 104314
View attachment 104315
Yes, I was sat in the stand pictured below. There was no "away end" in 1971

View attachment 104325

Those little copy reports you attached remind me when I used to read the Green Un reports as a kid. I didn’t want to read the whole report straight away so I’d just look down to where the capital letters were to read about our goals! Normally it would say EDWARDS!

Trevor Hockey was before my time but I’ve just looked him up and was surprised to see he only played for United between 1971 and 1973. He’s talked about so much, he must have made quite an impact. Signed by us from Birmingham. And it was sad to read he passed away aged 43 just after playing a 5 a side game.

Better at football than singing if this is anything to go by:

And that web page led me on to see this one about Colin Grainger;

He wasnt the same player when he returned after recovering from the broken leg, got unsettled at the club and requested a transfer.
no he wasnt silent what game did he break his leg in ? of course keith eddy came in after he left and also formed a great midfield partnership with tc underated player imo

no he wasnt silent what game did he break his leg in ? of course keith eddy came in after he left and also formed a great midfield partnership with tc underated player imo
3-3 draw v Man City in February 1972. Broke his leg after kicking Mike Doyle but after a telling off from the ref he carried on running gingerly for a few minutes before falling down. Cec Coldwell gave him a piggyback carrying him off the pitch

3-3 draw v Man City in February 1972. Broke his leg after kicking Mike Doyle but after a telling off from the ref he carried on running gingerly for a few minutes before falling down. Cec Coldwell gave him a piggyback carrying him off the pitch
oh yeah remember now that was on motd watched it in alexander on castlegate before heading for the top rank we were 2 down fantastic headed goal by tc

I remember watching Tudor when he first came, and I think it took him a few games to find his feet..you could see him improve with a run in the team.
Yes, different types, Tudor was good in the air, and Billy was quicker, both good players for us.
King Tudor's brace off the bench v Wendy always springs to mind.

I remember watching Tudor when he first came, and I think it took him a few games to find his feet..you could see him improve with a run in the team.
Yes, different types, Tudor was good in the air, and Billy was quicker, both good players for us.
King Tudor's brace off the bench v Wendy always springs to mind.
cant remember him getting 2 that day know we were 2 up at half time and cruising

Back
Top Bottom