Match Thread Sheffield United v. Tottenham Hotspur - 17th January 2021

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

SUFC
SUFC
SUFC

Final

Final
Final
TOTT
TOTT
TOTT
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
1610750585640.png v. 1610750600016.png
EPL Week 19 - Sunday 17th January 2021 - Bramall Lane

Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Matchday Stats/Player Ratings - https://www.s24su.com/forum/index.php?match-day/match/sheffield-united-vs-tottenham-hotspur.527/

Officials:

Referee:
Andre Marriner
Assistant Referee: Richard West
Assistant Referee: Mark Scholes
Fourth Official: Robert Jones
Video Assistant Referee: Mike Dean
Additional Video Assistant Referee: Andy Halliday

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter
: https://twitter.com/s24su

📺 Live TV Coverage:

Screenshot 2021-01-17 at 12.25.18.png

Last edited:

Norwood and Fleck were good in the Premier league last season. Yes they have, along with almost every other player been poor this season, but do people really believe they are not good enough for the championship?

People's opinion tend to change rather quickly. Fleck was indespensible, Egan would walk in to any other Premier league team, etc. Now they are all suddenly shit at football?

It’s ridiculous, and clearly a petty statement to the board. Full the spaces with academy lads. It makes us look completely amateurish.
Don't see why Zac Brunt couldn't have enjoyed a spot on the bench. Could have got a debut today with how Norwood was playing.

"Sorry lad, you're miles off"

"But the first pick just gave them best part of two goals"

"It takes experience to manage that, lad. Sit down"

🤦

And doesn’t give the ball away!
Disagree. Fleck and Lundstram both gave the ball away in key areas today. The difference is that they got away with it and attacks fizzled out.

BTW, this isn’t a defence of Norwood. The fact that ALL of our midfielders gave the ball away in dangerous areas multiple times is the problem.

No manager can keep pulling rabbits out of hats forever. He played a blinder getting that squad promoted with relatively little financial backing. He surpassed himself last season, but ultimately the quality gap has to be bridged or else the inevitable happens. The recruitment has been poor, but that is to a large extent determined by the wage structure. There's been investment, but not enough to nail down a berth in the PL.

Spurs enjoyed a fairly routine pre-season friendly at Bramall Lane with the Blades midfield acting like an automatic ball passer to liven things up a bit. Another woeful midfield display first half and some rather stark defensive inadequacies. Slightly better at the start of the second half but we're playing against a team that goes ahead and then can't be arsed and somehow scored 3 and should have had 5.

Ramsdale - 5 - I simply have zero confidence that he's not going to do something stupid. Gave the ball away badly early on. Dubious dive for their second when the ball didn't end up in the corner. Came out a couple of times and got nowhere near, including the 3rd goal which he shouldn't have been in a position to be lobbed. He needs to get in the gym for me. Bulk up a bit. He's competing with Sander for the tall man, wet lettuce competition this season.
Stevens - 6 - Decent game going forward. Put a couple of dangerous crosses in and got in areas around the box, getting a couple of shots off. Defensively ok.
Ampadu - 3 - Must have given the ball away in dangerous areas 5 times in the first half. Looks far too casual at times. Bucked up his ideas a bit second half and only gave the ball away 3 times
Egan - 6 - Put a few good blocks in but look a little off the pace. I think he passed the ball across for the 3rd goal (I'm sure it was him but confused with both the foot used and where he was stood). Looked stretched far too many times for comfort.
Basham - 5.5 - Made a few mistakes today. Got forward decently but defensively looked shaky.
Bogle - 5 - At fault for the first as he stood next to the man he was meant to be marking and neither hassled him in any way or jumped. Looked poor defensively first half and I'm really not convinced about that aspect of his games. Looked decent going forward and bucked up his ideas a bit second half
Fleck - 5.5 - Looked very slow at times but also probably our best midfielder first half. Fades in the second but it was by no means awful.
Norwood - 4 - Looked lively and our best defender for about 25 minutes. Pinging the ball around and putting some good set pieces in. That gradually started to happen for him. Got booked for a professional foul and gave the ball away for the second. Wasn't on his toes for the 3rd but only partially his fault. He's a player which I feels struggles with concentration. Hence the ball sometimes bounces off him.
Lundstram - 5.5 - Awful first half. First thought is backward and he hid regularly. Much better second half and easily our best midfielder. Got himself much more involved and looked happier in the deep role. I think someone reminded him that he wanted to encourage a club to pay money for him.
McGoldrick - 6 - Looked slow and poor first half. Came back a lot but slowed play down. Much better in the second and good header and run for the goal. He was our best attacking threat second half and given his age he's looking like one of the fitter players at the moment.
Burke - 5.5 - Looked dangerous in spells but those spells were far too rare. Pressed as per and put a shift in but he simply seems to lack the quality both in terms of finishing and with his final ball. Faded really badly second half.

Subs

Bryan - 4 - He tries but looks at least a league out of his depth and only tries the very simple
Brewster - 5 - I can't remember him doing anything. The game seemed to largely pass him by
Sharp - 5 - Points for at least getting stuck in. By stuck in I mean fouling. Had that one difficult volley.

Wilder - 5 - I mean, you can't really plan for a stream of individual errors but we didn't seem to set up well. We were sloppy from the off and should have been 2 down. They let us back into it and we were better in the second half but the opposition must know by heart our substitutions before they're made. We don't really seem to improve.

Spurs - Looked fairly poor and lethargic apart from a couple of periods. Saying that, they should have had 5 and were unlucky twice when the ref blew when he should have allowed the advantage. Højbjerg probably their best player. Neat and tidy and kept it moving.

FFS what's Basham done wrong, we would be in much deeper shit without him. I can think of at least 20 others in the squad that should go before him.
Basham is no where best effective as he was last season. His passi g is getting worse and his heading is often weak defensively. We need to move on from him,Norwood,Stevens,Jags,Bryan,Robinson, Sharp etc if we are to have a chance of promotion next season. May even need a new manager

Norwood and Fleck were good in the Premier league last season. Yes they have, along with almost every other player been poor this season, but do people really believe they are not good enough for the championship?
Players get older and lose their impact. We need a more athletic player in centre midfield. The game has moved on and Norwood hasn't.

He is 29 years old, not 49.
And yet he is often caught on the ball,lacks strength and is not physical enough. We need to move on from him as the game is getting quicker and he has struggled most of this season and towards the end of last season

Good enough for what? Genuine question.

Base it on the last 12 months...

First eleven of a promotion chasing team? Not a chance.

Backup / Squad players in a middling to lower end team? Possibly.

Realistically, we need a rebuild and the aging players who have let us down this year really shouldn't be part of our future rebuild.

I think a question which needs asking isn't just are they good enough in the Championship next season to get us up, but then would they be good enough being 2/3rds of our midfield when we are promoted? Or would we expect Wilder to sign 2 world class midfielders who seamlessly slot into how we play?

I don't think for one second we'd get promoted next season with the same midfield who have systematically given the ball away, failed to track runners, failed to close opponents down, failed to create chances and failed to core.

We need 2 or 3 new midfielders who can take us up and keep us up. I can't see it happening tbqf

Spurs enjoyed a fairly routine pre-season friendly at Bramall Lane with the Blades midfield acting like an automatic ball passer to liven things up a bit. Another woeful midfield display first half and some rather stark defensive inadequacies. Slightly better at the start of the second half but we're playing against a team that goes ahead and then can't be arsed and somehow scored 3 and should have had 5.

Ramsdale - 5 - I simply have zero confidence that he's not going to do something stupid. Gave the ball away badly early on. Dubious dive for their second when the ball didn't end up in the corner. Came out a couple of times and got nowhere near, including the 3rd goal which he shouldn't have been in a position to be lobbed. He needs to get in the gym for me. Bulk up a bit. He's competing with Sander for the tall man, wet lettuce competition this season.
Stevens - 6 - Decent game going forward. Put a couple of dangerous crosses in and got in areas around the box, getting a couple of shots off. Defensively ok.
Ampadu - 3 - Must have given the ball away in dangerous areas 5 times in the first half. Looks far too casual at times. Bucked up his ideas a bit second half and only gave the ball away 3 times
Egan - 6 - Put a few good blocks in but look a little off the pace. I think he passed the ball across for the 3rd goal (I'm sure it was him but confused with both the foot used and where he was stood). Looked stretched far too many times for comfort.
Basham - 5.5 - Made a few mistakes today. Got forward decently but defensively looked shaky.
Bogle - 5 - At fault for the first as he stood next to the man he was meant to be marking and neither hassled him in any way or jumped. Looked poor defensively first half and I'm really not convinced about that aspect of his games. Looked decent going forward and bucked up his ideas a bit second half
Fleck - 5.5 - Looked very slow at times but also probably our best midfielder first half. Fades in the second but it was by no means awful.
Norwood - 4 - Looked lively and our best defender for about 25 minutes. Pinging the ball around and putting some good set pieces in. That gradually started to happen for him. Got booked for a professional foul and gave the ball away for the second. Wasn't on his toes for the 3rd but only partially his fault. He's a player which I feels struggles with concentration. Hence the ball sometimes bounces off him.
Lundstram - 5.5 - Awful first half. First thought is backward and he hid regularly. Much better second half and easily our best midfielder. Got himself much more involved and looked happier in the deep role. I think someone reminded him that he wanted to encourage a club to pay money for him.
McGoldrick - 6 - Looked slow and poor first half. Came back a lot but slowed play down. Much better in the second and good header and run for the goal. He was our best attacking threat second half and given his age he's looking like one of the fitter players at the moment.
Burke - 5.5 - Looked dangerous in spells but those spells were far too rare. Pressed as per and put a shift in but he simply seems to lack the quality both in terms of finishing and with his final ball. Faded really badly second half.

Subs

Bryan - 4 - He tries but looks at least a league out of his depth and only tries the very simple
Brewster - 5 - I can't remember him doing anything. The game seemed to largely pass him by
Sharp - 5 - Points for at least getting stuck in. By stuck in I mean fouling. Had that one difficult volley.

Wilder - 5 - I mean, you can't really plan for a stream of individual errors but we didn't seem to set up well. We were sloppy from the off and should have been 2 down. They let us back into it and we were better in the second half but the opposition must know by heart our substitutions before they're made. We don't really seem to improve.

Spurs - Looked fairly poor and lethargic apart from a couple of periods. Saying that, they should have had 5 and were unlucky twice when the ref blew when he should have allowed the advantage. Højbjerg probably their best player. Neat and tidy and kept it moving.
Thought Sharp did ok upsetting dier thats his job .

And yet he is often caught on the ball,lacks strength and is not physical enough. We need to move on from him as the game is getting quicker and he has struggled most of this season and towards the end of last season
I am Norwoods biggest critic. He can't play against the press, because he doesn't have the ability to move with the ball (obviously). But to say we should get rid of him in the Championship is fuckin retarded.

Main difference between the Championship and PL is the time u have on the ball. In the PL teams are far more intelligent in the way they press and set traps etc compared to the Prem. He dictates everything in the Championship because he has the time on the ball to deliver better quality. Hence why he has won promotion 3 times or whatever from the Championship in his last 3 seasons he's played in it.

I am Norwoods biggest critic. He can't play against the press, because he doesn't have the ability to move with the ball (obviously). But to say we should get rid of him in the Championship is fuckin retarded.

Main difference between the Championship and PL is the time u have on the ball. In the PL teams are far more intelligent in the way they press and set traps etc compared to the Prem. He dictates everything in the Championship because he has the time on the ball to deliver better quality. Hence why he has won promotion 3 times or whatever from the Championship in his last 3 seasons he's played in it.
So we keep a player who is not good enough for the top league but keep him because he might still be good enough for the league below ? Really ? Surely we should be looking to buy a player who can achieve at Championshio level and adapt to the requirements of the top league ?
One of Wilder's errors over the last 18 months is not replacing existing first team players with better players.

So we keep a player who is not good enough for the top league but keep him because he might still be good enough for the league below ? Really ? Surely we should be looking to buy a player who can achieve at Championshio level and adapt to the requirements of the top league ?
One of Wilder's errors over the last 18 months is not replacing existing first team players with better players.
No. We keep Norwood for next season and sign a ball carrier that also has vision to play. Lunny is out of contract in summer, Berge will be going in summer 99% likely, and u want us to get rid of Norwood. So that leaves Fleck and Osborn in CM. Reyt manager u mate.

Its simple send him on Garden leave for the rest of the season then have him back on a performance related contract in the championship

Stop bitching Blades. Go and entertain yersens elsewhere, what's done is done.

No. We keep Norwood for next season and sign a ball carrier that also has vision to play. Lunny is out of contract in summer, Berge will be going in summer 99% likely, and u want us to get rid of Norwood. So that leaves Fleck and Osborn in CM. Reyt manager u mate.
You didn't read my lost properly did you? To summarise, we need to replace Norwood with someone better?

I didn’t think we played too badly overall, which is quite impressive given that Fleck and Norwood were awful and our keeper had lost any confidence and the defenders understandably don’t trust him.

Back
Top Bottom