Match Thread Sheffield United v. Tottenham Hotspur - 17th January 2021

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

SUFC
SUFC
SUFC

Final

Final
Final
TOTT
TOTT
TOTT
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
1610750585640.png v. 1610750600016.png
EPL Week 19 - Sunday 17th January 2021 - Bramall Lane

Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Matchday Stats/Player Ratings - https://www.s24su.com/forum/index.php?match-day/match/sheffield-united-vs-tottenham-hotspur.527/

Officials:

Referee:
Andre Marriner
Assistant Referee: Richard West
Assistant Referee: Mark Scholes
Fourth Official: Robert Jones
Video Assistant Referee: Mike Dean
Additional Video Assistant Referee: Andy Halliday

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter
: https://twitter.com/s24su

📺 Live TV Coverage:

Screenshot 2021-01-17 at 12.25.18.png

Last edited:

You're suggesting there's something he can do.

Like Brian Clough always said-
"Players lose you games, not tactics. There's so much crap talked about tactics by people who barely know how to win at Dominoes"

Not sure Wilder 'tactically' told Bogle to give Aurier a free header or told Norwood to give the ball away so often.
Ok then. Why have managers and coaches at all then? Just have the team and subs selected by phone in. With respect to Clough, he never managed against sides that have 40 high speed cameras positioned around the ground capable of analysing a player’s speed and technique. Or AI systems that can predict player performances, measured by a thousand data points. Of course, tactics matter, tactics made these players better than the sum of their parts. Walk into any elite sporting organisation and tell them tactics don’t matter and they’d laugh in your face.

From some of the comments after the Bristol Rovers/Newcastle wins, there seems to be as many of those 'deluded fans' here too.

There might have been a few on here,
but Porktalk is in a different universe when it comes to delusion.

I don't see how just bringing more strikers on is going to help. We can't get any quality ball to the strikers so it would be just another wasted player on the pitch while the rest struggle to contain Spurs. Two very poor avoidable goals, a routine set piece and horrific control by Norwood for the second. Again, tactics and formations nothing to do with either. Going forward, we're too tentative, not enough movement, not enough players getting into box, the wing backs too concerned about defending and not getting forward.

Just seen the highlights of the first goal, has there been a rule change I missed about not allowing teams to have defenders on the post?

Nope, just an evolution in understanding what actually works when defending corners

I‘m starting to think less about the idea we haven’t got the personnel to be effective with overlapping CBs and more, teams have figured out how to stop us from doing it 9 times out of 10. It’s just when the 1 out of 10 opportunity arises we haven’t got the ability to make any use of it.

Can anyone show our players how useful it would be to concentrate?

The thing that angers me is we haven't brought anybody in.
We are desperate for something different in midfield and can't even name a full bench which also includes two players with a combined age of 70.

Ok then. Why have managers and coaches at all then? Just have the team and subs selected by phone in. With respect to Clough, he never managed against sides that have 40 high speed cameras positioned around the ground capable of analysing a player’s speed and technique. Or AI systems that can predict player performances, measured by a thousand data points. Of course, tactics matter, tactics made these players better than the sum of their parts. Walk into any elite sporting organisation and tell them tactics don’t matter and they’d laugh in your face.

Clough didn't say Tactics didn't exist, he was emphasising the point that they're pointless compared to performances of players and their ability.

Bogle was clearly supposed to be marking Aurier, so Wilder's tactics were not the issue.
I also don't believe Wilder told Norwood to give the ball to Kane at any point.

Tactics can make players better than the sum of their parts, for a period.
The fact Wilder has been able to do this for as long as he has is a miracle.

Clough didn't say Tactics didn't exist, he was emphasising the point that they're pointless compared to performances of players and their ability.

Bogle was clearly supposed to be marking Aurier, so Wilder's tactics were not the issue.
I also don't believe Wilder told Norwood to give the ball to Kane at any point.

Tactics can make players better than the sum of their parts, for a period.
The fact Wilder has been able to do this for as long as he has is a miracle.
Nor did I say he said tactics don’t exist. The argument is so easy to counter. What happens if the all time best 11 played Notts County, but played 0-0-10?

Norwood again.... please drop him, play anyone but him, id accept Foderingham in front of him at this point in time - he aint the player we once knew!

Sad to watch Norwoods struggles...been shit after his new contract, something to think about

maybe a few have been here too long and got too comfortable

Back
Top Bottom