Midfield

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

bertieblade

Reaction score
Now that RND had signed a new contract, you look at the squad and we are strong in all areas with good quality young players other than midfield.
Berge is the only quality midfield player that we have, I would suggest that we are light not only with experienced players but also squad players. Surely an area that had to be addressed in the summer months with possibly only Zak Brunt pushing for a squad place from the development squad

Yeh but yeh but yeh but ...
We gave another contract to Jack Rodwell in the summer !
What more could we do ?
Not his fault that our midfield is playing so well that he can't even get a place on the bench.
Don't forget it was our best window ever.
And we managed to retain Lunny , keeping the stink about contracts in the dressing room , which must have worked wonders for team spirit.
Sorry , I ought to know that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.
Just to be clear , we had an abysmal window.
Lunny should have been paid off and drummed out at the end of last season. We were stupid to think that anyone was going to pay a fee for him.
Luke Freeman should never have been allowed to depart on loan - he should have been kept or sold and replaced by a Swift type.
Having missed Swift , we should have gone all out to sign a proper creative midfielder.
Fleck & Norwood were never going to take us forwards. And Berge wants to play deep.
But yet again we have paid big money for someone who has scored a few goals at Swansea , but failed to recruit someone to create a supply of chances.
Our slump was predictable from the way we played in the restart after lockdown , combined with the failure to improve the starting 11 in the window.

Now that RND had signed a new contract, you look at the squad and we are strong in all areas with good quality young players other than midfield.
Berge is the only quality midfield player that we have, I would suggest that we are light not only with experienced players but also squad players. Surely an area that had to be addressed in the summer months with possibly only Zak Brunt pushing for a squad place from the development squad
I’d keep a close eye on coulibally he looks promising and work permit permitting could come in and nail down a spot. But I’d disagree with us looking strong long term everywhere else unfortunately. In my opinion I’d like another long term option up front and 2 at centreback. Basham will eventually hit a wall and the earlier we can get a successor in and get them up to speed the better rather than them going straight into the team I’d also like another younger centreback capable of filling in across the 3.

And we managed to retain Lunny , keeping the stink about contracts in the dressing room , which must have worked wonders for team spirit.
Sorry , I ought to know that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.
Just to be clear , we had an abysmal window.
Lunny should have been paid off and drummed out at the end of last season. We were stupid to think that anyone was going to pay a fee for him.
Luke Freeman should never have been allowed to depart on loan - he should have been kept or sold and replaced by a Swift type.
Having missed Swift , we should have gone all out to sign a proper creative midfielder.
Fleck & Norwood were never going to take us forwards. And Berge wants to play deep.
But yet again we have paid big money for someone who has scored a few goals at Swansea , but failed to recruit someone to create a supply of chances.
Our slump was predictable from the way we played in the restart after lockdown , combined with the failure to improve the starting 11 in the window.
Which players have told you this has caused any problems at all, because stating it so surely it must have come from a reliable source. Either that or you're talking bollocks.
Which is it?

Which players have told you this has caused any problems at all, because stating it so surely it must have come from a reliable source. Either that or you're talking bollocks.
Which is it?
No expects the Spanish Inquisition !

I’d keep a close eye on coulibally he looks promising and work permit permitting could come in and nail down a spot. But I’d disagree with us looking strong long term everywhere else unfortunately. In my opinion I’d like another long term option up front and 2 at centreback. Basham will eventually hit a wall and the earlier we can get a successor in and get them up to speed the better rather than them going straight into the team I’d also like another younger centreback capable of filling in across the 3.
I agree that we need someone to understudy for Bash and ultimately someone Egan but as a unit midfield needs more attention as it can neither attack or defend

I agree that we need someone to understudy for Bash and ultimately someone Egan but as a unit midfield needs more attention as it can neither attack or defend
Yeah midfield needs needs a long term starter asap then maybe a couple of cover/development players. I’d be interested to know how max bird is doing at Derby this year I know they as a team are poor but I know he’s highly rated there and he could be one to cherry pick as a longer term development option if they drop and he plays that more defensive role I believe. In terms of a starter no one who’s likely to be affordable stands out in the champ hence me mentioning coulibally.

I know it’s only Belgium league but that Coulibaly lad we loaned to Beerschot has scored a few and is playing well by all acounts there top of their league currently and he looks a talent from bits I’ve seen I think it’s quite a long loan spell but at this rate he may be called back sooner rather than later if visa permits sorted also the U23 lad Ayari looks a good prospect it may be a bit early but good signs for the future both midfielders too 🤙🏻

I know it’s only Belgium league but that Coulibaly lad we loaned to Beerschot has scored a few and is playing well by all acounts there top of their league currently and he looks a talent from bits I’ve seen I think it’s quite a long loan spell but at this rate he may be called back sooner rather than later if visa permits sorted also the U23 lad Ayari looks a good prospect it may be a bit early but good signs for the future both midfielders too 🤙🏻
Regan Slater will likely be in and around the first team squad next season

I am optimistic that we will be playing Premier league football next season however if we were to be relegated I think we should consider getting Ben Whiteman back from Donny.

He's by far their best player and I'm sure there'll be championship clubs looking at him.

Just bollocks to have a go at Lunny then.
Well done. How proud must you be.
If you read my post carefully you'll see I'm having a go at the Club for leaving the Lunny contract dispute unresolved , not at the player himself. Having a disgruntled player around can't be good , can it ? Strange how the form of Fleck & Norwood has fallen off a cliff.

Why should Lundy not signing a contract effect our other midfield players
He either wants more money or does not feel valued
The two guys you mention have signed their contracts lunny will not be getting more than him and CW is giving them preference in the team when fit and on form. Your suggestion makes no sense

If you read my post carefully you'll see I'm having a go at the Club for leaving the Lunny contract dispute unresolved , not at the player himself. Having a disgruntled player around can't be good , can it ? Strange how the form of Fleck & Norwood has fallen off a cliff.
And there you go again!

From the Cambridge dictionary -
Disgruntled - Unhappy, Annoyed and disappointed about something.

As I already asked. What's your source?

It seems generally accepted that Lunny has been offered two new contracts in the past year and declined to sign either of them.
He therefore must at the very least be unhappy & disappointed with the terms offered.

Every second thread on here descends into yet another discussion about the last transfer window.

It seems generally accepted that Lunny has been offered two new contracts in the past year and declined to sign either of them.
He therefore must at the very least be unhappy & disappointed with the terms offered.
But why does that effect his midfield colleagues, seems as though you finding fault where there is none

But why does that effect his midfield colleagues, seems as though you finding fault where there is none
It's only a suggestion Bertie.
I really don't know why Fleck & Norwood seem to be half the players they used to be.
Maybe they are resting on their laurels , having got new contracts themselves.

I really don't know why Fleck & Norwood seem to be half the players they used to be.

because we have generally stopped being a possession based football team.

CW has confused the midfield by bring in Berge and not really knowing whether to play him in the CM or RCM position. It's quite possible it has pissed off Norwood and Lundstram.

We did have a set structure - this seems to have gone out of the windows for a few reasons JOC injured, Stevens, injured and loss of form. Lumping it to McB or wanting to get Burke free with his pace. A Constant changing midfield 3.

As for Fleck - this is one of the most disappointing aspects - seems completely out of it mentally/physically and motivation.

I for one believe centre midfield is the most important part of ANY team - whether it's 2, 3, a diamond or a no:10 - we're simply not functioning in centre midfield and if we do not solve this problem soon, no amount of tinkering and changing will change make us better.

Solve Cm - we have a chance - albeit, a diminishing one.

UTB

I remember an interview with CW a while ago when he said he didn't believe in different types of CM like holding or advanced - he said that any CM should be able to cover & tackle & pass & drive forward.
I don't know whether that's still his philosophy.
Do you have your own solution to our midfield malaise Fulwood ?
I totally agree with you that midfield is the cause of our problems.

I remember an interview with CW a while ago when he said he didn't believe in different types of CM like holding or advanced - he said that any CM should be able to cover & tackle & pass & drive forward.
I don't know whether that's still his philosophy.
Do you have your own solution to our midfield malaise Fulwood ?
I totally agree with you that midfield is the cause of our problems.

that's the question that even CWAK cant resolve.

The opposition now appear to sit where Norwood used to operate - can we say that the opposition teams have analysed us and stopped that. This may explain CW's reluctance to play Norwood every game. After all we do our own analysis and I would expect this analysis to show up what the opposition do/don't do.

Fleck's problem appears to be himself - never one to look "ready" for the start of a season. he's tended to get into the season after 3 or 4 average performances, but his form now is baffling.

All out midfield don't appear to WANT the ball - they seem to accept it when given it - but the old saying of pass and move is not to pass it and then think fuck it, i've done my bit - it's more of pass, move, want the ball back and WE used to be that sort of team.

The ball is a hot potato to a few now.

We go too long to McB - I am a critic although he played well v Leicester - his last good game was Liverpool away - we can't have 1 good game every few games, but McB will never be a Deane and Agana where channel football worked and the midfield picked up 2nd balls

We apparently started the season with the intention of a diamond - this now appears to be jettisoned.

So, what next?

We HAVE to get Fleck operating as before. We have the option of Berge/Norwood in the centre possibly someone else in RCM for Lundstram. I refuse to condemn Lunny or CW for playing him but he appears to be operating at 90-95% which simply isn't good enough for us where we must have our average players giving 100%.

Circumstances have counted against us as well as CWAK plans to change/alter the team round. Perfectly accept the need for change, but it is plain to see that changes are not working.

We need a settled 3 in the middle - Baldock (who's been one of our better players) and not Lowe on the left. Osborn works hard and I'd rather have him wide left that Lowe. Would never play Osborn in Flecks place - Osborn can't effect a game there, but out wide at least he'd be solid.

What is sure is that CWAK will never have a harder task than what is happening now - getting relegated and rebuilding would be far easier - but here and now we need to start picking up points, even if it's draws to bring a touch of confidence.

Are we possession based or are we going to lump it???? We need to decide very very soon.

It's a real tough ask

UTB

that's the question that even CWAK cant resolve.

The opposition now appear to sit where Norwood used to operate - can we say that the opposition teams have analysed us and stopped that. This may explain CW's reluctance to play Norwood every game. After all we do our own analysis and I would expect this analysis to show up what the opposition do/don't do.

Fleck's problem appears to be himself - never one to look "ready" for the start of a season. he's tended to get into the season after 3 or 4 average performances, but his form now is baffling.

All out midfield don't appear to WANT the ball - they seem to accept it when given it - but the old saying of pass and move is not to pass it and then think fuck it, i've done my bit - it's more of pass, move, want the ball back and WE used to be that sort of team.

The ball is a hot potato to a few now.

We go too long to McB - I am a critic although he played well v Leicester - his last good game was Liverpool away - we can't have 1 good game every few games, but McB will never be a Deane and Agana where channel football worked and the midfield picked up 2nd balls

We apparently started the season with the intention of a diamond - this now appears to be jettisoned.

So, what next?

We HAVE to get Fleck operating as before. We have the option of Berge/Norwood in the centre possibly someone else in RCM for Lundstram. I refuse to condemn Lunny or CW for playing him but he appears to be operating at 90-95% which simply isn't good enough for us where we must have our average players giving 100%.

Circumstances have counted against us as well as CWAK plans to change/alter the team round. Perfectly accept the need for change, but it is plain to see that changes are not working.

We need a settled 3 in the middle - Baldock (who's been one of our better players) and not Lowe on the left. Osborn works hard and I'd rather have him wide left that Lowe. Would never play Osborn in Flecks place - Osborn can't effect a game there, but out wide at least he'd be solid.

What is sure is that CWAK will never have a harder task than what is happening now - getting relegated and rebuilding would be far easier - but here and now we need to start picking up points, even if it's draws to bring a touch of confidence.

Are we possession based or are we going to lump it???? We need to decide very very soon.

It's a real tough ask

UTB
Everything n about our recruitment would suggest we’d like to be possession based but like you say the midfield just isn’t functioning

Maybe but he’s a different type of player I think we mainly need a bit more attacking prowess that’s why I think Coulibaly and Ayari may be the next to break through
Coulibaly will be another full season at least due to work permit laws, Ayari will most likely need a loan spell and possibly even another season at U23 level (he's still v.young).

As Ball_Sup (Phil) says... (who is most people's "go to source" for the Development Squads)

Following the standard SU path, the next in line for potential First XI involvement will be RND, and Regan, then potentially lads like Harry Boyes and Tyler Smith, who are already out on loan with men's teams. Then it would realistically be someone like Zak Brunt, who's already had First XI involvement and apparently trains with them fairly often.

Then it would be about your Ayaris, your Serikis, your Hackfords, your Capellos, Broadbents, Lopatas etc.

For me...Cappello, Brunt and Seriki in particular get me excited, from what I've seen.

I hope I'm wrong but I'll be surprised if we ever see Ayari in the first team before he's gone. Really hope I'm wrong though, looks a great talent!

In the championship certainly. Not if we miraculously stayed up
Think he'd still be involved to be honest. Not as a regular (hopefully!) but if we do stay up we'd already have no Lundstram left.

We'll only have 5 recognised midfielders at the end of this season. 6 including Regan.

Berge
Fleck
Norwood
Rodwell
Ozzie
Slater

(Burke can be a MID but is clearly seen as a striker by CW)

Considering Norwood has already started slipping, Rodwell has got as much chance of getting in the team as I have, and Fleck still hasn't found himself again yet...

I'd say gerrimin 🤣

I’m not sure what his contract situation is as it stands he might not be under contract for next season.
Yeah we triggered an extension this summer, he'd need to sign new terms upon returning from 'Ull.

He's a Gleadless lad and a boyhood Blade so I imagine if CWAK want him, he'll sign. Depends how well he does at Hull! They're up round the top of the table and he's been playing well for them when he's been involved.

Berge was "only playing in the Belgium League" too. Am I right in saying that if he gets a few national caps he'll get a work permit? Or is it more complicated than that? Will Brexit further complicate things?

Back
Top Bottom