Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

And I said "Let's all meet up in the year 2000
Won't it be strange when we're all fully grown
Be there at 2 o'clock by the fountain down the road"
I never knew that you'd get married
I would be living down here on my own
On that damp and lonely Thursday years ago.

Sheffield Council ripped the fucker up in 1998. How typical.

SW.....
I've eventually managed to discover these two great photos on line.
Both show the sidings, albeit tantalisingly in the distance .
First one from Beeton Road. Second one from Chesterfield Road a little higher up, in which you can even see a Lane floodlight or two.
I'm not sure of either date though.
And lastly, mainly just because I like maps :)
an old screenshot showing the extent of the sidings.

View attachment 96874

View attachment 96875

View attachment 96876
Wonderful, thank you.

Is there a date for the photo? Seems not to be of the age of steam, fantastic photo none the less.
Question to the railway steam engine buffs, the engine is what was known when a boy as a 'windy'. What was the purpose of the shields and was this type of engine less prevalent on the local areas rail companies, LMS and LNER as cannot remember seeing many if any as a kid.
PS there's grass in the photo, didn't think there was grass in Heeley. :rolleyes:
The loco is a BR Standard 9f class with a 2-10-0 wheel arrangement which as it’s name implies was built by British Railways. The last loco built for BR was one of these, in 1960 I think, and was named Evening Star which is now part of the national collection.
The shields are actually smoke deflectors which push the exhaust upwards and away from the cab to give the crew a better view of the way ahead. They were built mainly for freight duties as the f in 9f signifies but were found to be very capable on passenger duties. They could be seen on heavy freight trains over the Seattle to Carlisle line and on the west coast mainline taking freight over Shap. Regular passenger duties were on the now closed Somerset and Dorset Joint line hauling passenger trains to Bournemouth. Rather an unusual sight on a passenger working out of The Midland station all the same.
There, I’ve bored most of you to death now.

The loco is a BR Standard 9f class with a 2-10-0 wheel arrangement which as it’s name implies was built by British Railways. The last loco built for BR was one of these, in 1960 I think, and was named Evening Star which is now part of the national collection.
The shields are actually smoke deflectors which push the exhaust upwards and away from the cab to give the crew a better view of the way ahead. They were built mainly for freight duties as the f in 9f signifies but were found to be very capable on passenger duties. They could be seen on heavy freight trains over the Seattle to Carlisle line and on the west coast mainline taking freight over Shap. Regular passenger duties were on the now closed Somerset and Dorset Joint line hauling passenger trains to Bournemouth. Rather an unusual sight on a passenger working out of The Midland station all the same.
Not at all SW, unbelievable what you can learn on here even if it's just to lock away at the back of the brain for future reference. Strikes me it's going to get busy on here for the next month, here's hoping the Blades can get positive and make it a happier 4 weeks also

When learning it is never boring and I asked anyway.
The snippet on these engines pulling trains to the south coast links with other info I have, in my head, building a better picture and enhancing my knowledge. Ta.
Boring is 'thingy' Monk at swillsbro'.

I really can't remember that what was it? Against the grain but I never really like the marples, just never took to it.

Downstairs bar under Marples. Upstairs was a bit grim early seventies.

Thanks S12. Fascinating stuff. Reminds me of my train spotting days in the 1940's. Ticking off the numbers in the little book. I used to enjoy when a 'Namer' came through, especially, 'Sheffield United'. I sat for many an hour on Kettle Bridge, Darnall, but got nowhere near spotting the hundreds of numbers in the book. Surprising to see that the Carlisle train went via 'Seattle'- have they finished voting there yet? Joking. I've , actually, been on that trip (The Settle one) -some superb scenary. Is it closed now? Loving this train thread.

Thanks S12. Fascinating stuff. Reminds me of my train spotting days in the 1940's. Ticking off the numbers in the little book. I used to enjoy when a 'Namer' came through, especially, 'Sheffield United'. I sat for many an hour on Kettle Bridge, Darnall, but got nowhere near spotting the hundreds of numbers in the book. Surprising to see that the Carlisle train went via 'Seattle'- have they finished voting there yet? Joking. I've , actually, been on that trip (The Settle one) -some superb scenary. Is it closed now? Loving this train thread.
Well they did get around a lot. 🤣

No you haven't SW. There's a wonderful typo about this train being on the SEATTLE to Carlisle line. That's a hell of a train ride over the Rockies, the Atlantic, and finally the Pennines! Brilliant!😉

Many a raucous night upstairs in there.

Monday night was punk night in the early 80s!
Punk night. Did anyone else hate Punk music? . Once saw the Sex Pistols in their early days must have been 76/77 at the Halfway at Highgate. Advertised as the new band and music set to get Britain going. Certainly did get everyone going, never seen a pub empty as fast in my life,after 10 minutes only me and my girlfriend( now wife) left in the place apart from a table of 9/10 “Punk Rockers”as they would become named ,swearing and gossing at each other. We finally sneaked out when they did a rendition of The Who,s Substitute. Never heard anything as bad in my life, Johnny Rotten had a pink coloured jumper on that would have fit 3 people who have been on lockdown for 3 month. Truly awful band and music. Nowt like a early morning moan.

Back
Top Bottom