Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

An old bloke to me a few months ago.a house got hit with a bomb on Whitehouse lane-Burgoyne road. the next day he was listening to the radio.
lord, hor hor was on Germany calling. he mentioned the house that got bombed. even called the tenants name out. Bleeding traitor.
That why the hanged him.

Bloody hell, thats my first match. Dad finished work early, which was unusual, stood on the terrace.
The west terrace, baiting the pool fans on the Lane End, errr no, different era.
That’s a great picture, didn’t realise it was such a packed crowd. Ron Yeats No 5?
I think Liverpool were promoted that season, it was
the start of their rise under Shankly.
Shaw G, 2 penalties both at the Kop end.
How in Gods name have I remembered that?
Ron Yeats didnt join Liverpool until 1961. The number 5 is Dick White and the player on the ground is Ronnie Moran. Bill Shankly replaced Phil Taylor as manager in November that year

Ron Yeats didnt join Liverpool until 1961. The number 5 is Dick White and the player on the ground is Ronnie Moran. Bill Shankly replaced Phil Taylor as manager in November that year

I always thought Shankly started at Liverpool in December that year.

I don't think the modern Liverpool realise the debt they owe to that guy. Similarly the modern Man Utd don't fully understand the debt they owe to the young Busby Babes. Those kids turned that club into a world wide 'brand'.

Google "Battle of the Beams" - I am sure there is a book about this as well

We used to generate our own Beams to confuse the German Aircrews ......

attempting to get them to drop their Bombs off the designated target
Googled as requested, thanks a lot, more than interesting. Another school day for me, thank you.

I remember attending their party

View attachment 96751
Is that you far right, dark spectacles and moustache. Please don't let you be the fella with the checkered hat band. Bet he'd be alreight in a terrorist/hostage situation, looks more than upset cos he's got a bit of bubbly on him.

I really think you're looking for someone who doesn't exist
Says caretaker manager in the links below?

Good old days, shit team but cracking support

Went to both those, certainly lost at Grimsby. Absolutely peed it down all day. Great support from the home fans, who congregated on a long terrace covered in the middle. This before their “new” stand was built. MARINEEERS MARINEERS was the chant I remember, They don’t half dislike us Yorkies
Saltergate, never saw us gat ought there, that match, no exception

I don’t suppose you have any photos of Heeley carriage sidings taken from Chesterfield Road.
Sadly, no I dont' SW. I wish I had.

However I do remember them well from my childhood days. As you'll know, there was a diagonally alley that ran down from the driveway you can see on the photo of Gresham's wood yard.
It went past the upper entrance gate of the sidings, past the ends of two terraced streets all the way down to Little London Road bridge.
(The bottom section in fact is still there.)
I may perhaps have once or twice explored in those sidings full of cream and maroon coaches when I was a kid. ;)

Reuben Bennett, Joe Fagan & Bob Paisley were there at the time... probably one of them

Mr Caretaker Manager certainly didn't do to badly SB, won 3 out of 4, couldn't beat Huddersfield though with Derek Hawksworth in the team !

Mr Caretaker Manager certainly didn't do to badly SB, won 3 out of 4, couldn't beat Huddersfield though with Derek Hawksworth in the team !
On reflection SB and a bit more searching, it could have been any of Paisley, Fagan or Reuben Bennett who all were there when Shanks took over. Fagan could be the favourite as was reserve team coach at the time.

Surprised to see that Bill Shankly wasnt Huddersfield's manager when Liverpool played them just before he started at Anfield. It states in the link that Eddie Boot (who played for us in mid 1930s) was Huddersfield's manager at the match

Sadly, no I dont' SW. I wish I had.

However I do remember them well from my childhood days. As you'll know, there was a diagonally alley that ran down from the driveway you can see on the photo of Gresham's wood yard.
It went past the upper entrance gate of the sidings, past the ends of two terraced streets all the way down to Little London Road bridge.
(The bottom section in fact is still there.)
I may perhaps have once or twice explored in those sidings full of cream and maroon coaches when I was a kid. ;)
I’ve tried to find a photo on various sites with no success, there must be some out there somewhere though.

I’ve tried to find a photo on various sites with no success, there must be some out there somewhere though.

You've probably seen this so don't shoot the messenger, it's aledged to be 92128 passing Heeley carriage sidings20160514154020-0ba30d21-me.jpg

You've probably seen this so don't shoot the messenger, it's aledged to be 92128 passing Heeley carriage sidingsView attachment 96849
Is there a date for the photo? Seems not to be of the age of steam, fantastic photo none the less.
Question to the railway steam engine buffs, the engine is what was known when a boy as a 'windy'. What was the purpose of the shields and was this type of engine less prevalent on the local areas rail companies, LMS and LNER as cannot remember seeing many if any as a kid.
PS there's grass in the photo, didn't think there was grass in Heeley. :rolleyes:

SW.....
I've eventually managed to discover these two great photos on line.
Both show the sidings, albeit tantalisingly in the distance .
First one from Beeton Road. Second one from Chesterfield Road a little higher up, in which you can even see a Lane floodlight or two.
I'm not sure of either date though.
And lastly, mainly just because I like maps :)
an old screenshot showing the extent of the sidings.

20201103_170111.jpg

20201103_170143.jpg

Screenshot_20201103-165526_Samsung Internet.jpg

Is there a date for the photo? Seems not to be of the age of steam, fantastic photo none the less.
Question to the railway steam engine buffs, the engine is what was known when a boy as a 'windy'. What was the purpose of the shields and was this type of engine less prevalent on the local areas rail companies, LMS and LNER as cannot remember seeing many if any as a kid.
PS there's grass in the photo, didn't think there was grass in Heeley. :rolleyes:

I have a vague recollection of windys and also box windys, which I think were Southern Region steam engines. Not an expert, but from my train spotting days, the shields were smoke deflectors to improve driver visibility. No idea if they were introduced regionally, but as the railways were nationalised just after the war, that doesn’t sound probable.

It's from JPB railway photos Sheffield -Derby 14 May 2016
P.S. ....XM, there's plenty of grass in Heeley, the sun always shines on S2, thought you would have known that !!!!

It's from JPB railway photos Sheffield -Derby 14 May 2016
P.S. ....XM, there's plenty of grass in Heeley, the sun always shines on S2, thought you would have known that !!!!
As you know there are many who don't believe the sun shines on S2, good to see you are not one.
Thanks for the info.

Back
Top Bottom