This forum/fan atmosphere has become toxic

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Mate, we've already got a nice West Ham fan on here making it difficult to hate them all without thinking, I'd appreciate it if you'd let us have at least one claret and blue team we could despise...

Trabzonspor then. Its a relatively dry conservsative town in Turkey. Or Man City away when they play in claret & blue? Come on, we were the first in claret & blue so only us should be universally loved by one all. No?

Benn5712 now smiling politely, because he's now clueless and out of depth.

Haha, it's the problem that the word 'Scunthorpe' is often censored on computers due to containing a swear word. The Scunthorpe Problem refers to trying to get computer programs to learn how to spot where there is a genuine swear word, and where, like Scunthorpe, it's a coincidental string of letters in a word.

Haha, it's the problem that the word 'Scunthorpe' is often censored on computers due to containing a swear word. The Scunthorpe Problem refers to trying to get computer programs to learn how to spot where there is a genuine swear word, and where, like Scunthorpe, it's a coincidental string of letters in a word.
I think he knew really, you silly horp.

Have you tried Bastard file?
A Bastard file is an actual metalworking hand tool. I expect you knew that.

There's always Burnley. They seem like a bunch of c*nts...

I like Burnley - like everyone else got their kit from or because of us so kind of special. Plus their claret & blue is closer in colour to ours (proper claret not the West ham purple...), also they are one of the founding 12 so have to have a soft spot for them. Town seems a bit racist, mind...

Have you tried Bastard file?
A Bastard file is an actual metalworking hand tool. I expect you knew that.

I remember a jockey a few years back called Michael Bastard. Always raised a smirk when the Grandstand commentator - probably peter O'sullevan - name checked him before a race.

Always wondered should Scunthorpe not be twinned with Penistone?

Go on mate, I need more clues than that!

Seriously though, good shout. I saw us lose 3-2 away there despite us being two up in about 10 minutes.

We were relegated that season.
Aye
I was there too
Also same result under Robson ?
Never seemed to win there until recently
Alcohol prevented much recollection beyond you own precis + penalty ? + sending off?
Felt the need to explore further, so....,
If thikipedia is accurate
Collins conceded spot kick ( no surprise there)
Shane Lowry dismissed - have to confess I have no awareness of him turning out (17 times !?!?!?) for us although it was the season when Nosworthy was a regular pick
Bloke called Duffy made their winner

Yet folk moan about us losing 2 games in the Prem

I'm not the only one that feels this way, the last time I recall it being anything like this was after the Barnet or Southend game.

There doesn't seem to be any nuance anymore.

Anyone who suggests we are in for a difficult season or is critical of the club in any way (as I posted last year and won't post about it again as I was delightfully and spectacularly proven wrong) is called a bedwetter and told to go off to Hillsborough.

Those who are positive about the prospects this season are called deluded/having rose tinted specs.

It's time for people to play the poster not the poster, and not to always assume the worst in everyone's intentions and have a constructive discussion with respect. I've been guilty of this myself (before someone brings the Villa meltdown up 😂 ) though recently I'm sure it's put people off posting/joining here.

We are all Blades and we are in the PL and should enjoy it, though that doesn't mean everything is perfect and it's ok to point that out or be worried about things.

RANT OVER

;)
Hate to say it but I've thought this for a while now.

Quite a few people on here are going a bit self entitled "Wednesday"

Well I've said now.

UTB

As we will all recall, given the gaffer’s wall-papering job at Carrow Road before the game there in the promotion season, Norwich have had the visitors dressing-room painted pink, on the theory that pink is a colour that inhibits the production of testosterone and adversely affects athletic performance.

Now, we’ve gone and plumped for a pink away kit...

I've bought the Pink away shirt, and haven't found that it affects my athletic perfomance. The fact I'm a tubby bastard does affect it a tad though.

I can’t help but feel that a poster whose reaction to a disappointing result is to go on the Shoutbox and call one of our players a “cunt” and they should “fuck off” is dispiriting and displaying a worrying lack of emotional intelligence.

Those cunts should fuck off.

I doubt you'll ever prevent this type of infantile break-down from happening, it's a consequence of what the Shoutbox enables supposedly grown up males to behave like.......some think it's fun to berate players and not be concerned that their behaviour is completely inappropriate. Even more concerning, you might think that what it reveals about their lack of critical assessment might cause said posters to reflect. Sadly, fat chance of that happening as they consider it a god-given right to say what they like about who they like!

I doubt you'll ever prevent this type of infantile break-down from happening, it's a consequence of what the Shoutbox enables supposedly grown up males to behave like.......some think it's fun to berate players and not be concerned that their behaviour is completely inappropriate. Even more concerning, you might think that what it reveals about their lack of critical assessment might cause said posters to reflect. Sadly, fat chance of that happening as they consider it a god-given right to say what they like about who they like!

Whilst not ideal, the shout-box I presume was designed for people to vent their reactions live which is then lost.

The problem is that when that comes on the main forum where records are kept and things are drudged up and can get personal between people

It would help if people used the forum correctly, searched for existing threads and didn't start idiotic ones because they're bored.

You know who you are :D

Whilst not ideal, the shout-box I presume was designed for people to vent their reactions live which is then lost.

The problem is that when that comes on the main forum where records are kept and things are drudged up and can get personal between people

It's almost on a par with standing on the terraces, where anything goes, no matter how offensive or deliberately provocative. You're right, it can, and does, get personal, sometimes to the point where bullying sometimes begins to flex it's muscles, and for those so inclined the levels of intimidation have no constraint. Fortunately, if brought to their attention, our admin will prevent this type of behaviour from gaining a head of steam.

It's almost on a par with standing on the terraces, where anything goes, no matter how offensive or deliberately provocative. You're right, it can, and does, get personal, sometimes to the point where bullying sometimes begins to flex it's muscles, and for those so inclined the levels of intimidation have no constraint. Fortunately, if brought to their attention, our admin will prevent this type of behaviour from gaining a head of steam.
I've never agreed with it on the terraces, never mind the written word. Some of the abuse is being hurled at mere kids - I know I wouldn't have been able to deal with it at that age.

I've never agreed with it on the terraces, never mind the written word. Some of the abuse is being hurled at mere kids - I know I wouldn't have been able to deal with it at that age.

Agreed, which is exactly why bullies behave like this. What they gain from this has always puzzled me, maybe it gives them a feeling of superiority based on the fact that they continue to push the envelope whilst onlookers remain quiet. Most people in my experience are disturbed by bullying, especially if there's a possibility of violence taking place.

I once took a supporter, a Blade no less, to task for what was explicit racism on the terraces. The vitriol I received was designed to intimidate, but even though it wasn't a pleasant exchange, and the person in question seemed to thrive on being offensive, the fact that this person considered it perfectly acceptable to use terminology designed to offend and hurt was a step too far. Fortunately no violence happened, but there was a clear suggestion that violence would be employed if the perpetrator was pushed too far.

You're absolutely right where children are concerned, under no circumstance should a child be subjected to offensive language (and I talk as someone who swears regularly but who understands there's a reason for boundaries).

Frustration. Not being at live games, no pre-match or post match banter in the pubs. No cheering your heroes, no baiting the away keeper from the Kop end. No venting in the ground, at stewards, coppers or the opposition play acting.
No wonder there’s been an increase in alcoholism, wife/husband beating. (Please don’t take it out on the kids)
Best place for it, is on here, if Foxy and Linz can cope with it, as a public service like.
Twitter, Facebook et al can be as toxic as they like. This place is your sanctuary. You know that, if you cross the line, the owners or admin will fuck you up, so try to be nice to your mates or fellow blades fans.
If you can put bread on the table, you can come on here and complain that the Brewster deal is taking too long, one way or the other.
Even if you are skint and jobless, there are always funny fuckers on here to make you laugh or cry, and there is always someone, somewhere worse of than you, because you are a blades fan.

No wonder there’s been an increase in alcoholism, wife/husband beating. (Please don’t take it out on the kids)
Best place for it, is on here, if Foxy and Linz can cope with it, as a public service like.
I don't think that's what you mean to say, is it?
The best place for it is in the dustbin. If you can't control your emotions, get help. Don't bring it to the forum.

I don't think that's what you mean to say, is it?
The best place for it is in the dustbin. If you can't control your emotions, get help. Don't bring it to the forum.
Better venting on here than taking it out on those who can’t defend themselves? Think of the forum as samaritans.

Back
Top Bottom