Budget 2020/21

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

What's your definition of a head turning transfer? £20m is barely head turning for a Premier League team.

And how does no head turning signings equal a £10-20m budget?

We could sign 6 £8m players and spend the best part of £50m.

£10-20m is suicidal given what we need, and won't happen. We've been hit by Covid and we've lost a few million from crowds not being there, but we've got more prize money than expected, will get sell ons if Bournemouth go down and sell Brooks and Ramsdale, have a few players to sell ourselves, and the Prince has taken out a mortgage so as not to dent our ability to spent the PL money too much.

Every season we've got a sixpence and some belly button fluff for transfers based on nothing remarks during interviews. Has nobody heard of keeping your cards close to your chest?

On reflection I’d agree I was being conservative, but I think £20-£30m is probably realistic and we can’t hope for more. Reasons as below:-
  1. I would have thought our spending was £60-65m on transfers fees last season.
    We signed Sander Berge in January for £22m in January. Wilder expressly confirmed at the time that this money was brought forward from next season’s transfer budget. Whilst this isn’t head turning money for the top 6 clubs and those with serious money behind them, it was head turning money for us.
  2. On the basis that last year‘s spend (less Berge) was £40m and a bit, I would have ordinarily expected a budget of £50m for this season, possibly more due to prize money and the potential to renegotiate the sponsorship. Let’s be optimistic and call that £60m for arguments sake.
  3. Take the £22m off the £60m transfer budget and that’s £38m.
  4. But we have to factor in the additional costs of the purchase of the property assets and (to a lesser extent) the progression of the new Academy. On top of that the anticipated payment of the TV money has reduced due to Covid-19. And the loss of gate receipts and commercial income. Given we have an owner who is the best in our lifetime, but admittedly doesn’t have the personal resources of many of his contemporaries, this has to have had an impact. Probably to a disproportionate extent. Wilder has pretty much conceded this point in recent interviews.
So based on the above and everything Wilder has said, I think our budget will have had a haircut of at least another £10m. This may have hit a fair few of our contemporaries so may distort the market, but it to me points to a budget of £20-30m. I don’t hold the club responsible as it’s been factors outside of our control, but I think all the evidence available points to a reduced budget.

Got players like Hendrick without a club at the moment, that would be a decent free for example.

Is it realistic though?

I've agreed in here already that Hendrick would be a very solid signing, especially for no transfer fee.

But he's leaving Burnley because he's 'only' on £35,000 a week, and rejected a contract offer with an increase to that amount.....

Would the players like Lundstram/Egan/Basham, who are rumored to be wanting an increased wage (I know only rumored), accept Hendrick coming in and becoming the highest earner on what would be a minimum of £45,000/£50,000?

On reflection I’d agree I was being conservative, but I think £20-£30m is probably realistic and we can’t hope for more. Reasons as below:-
    We signed Sander Berge in January for £22m in January. Wilder expressly confirmed at the time that this money was brought forward from next season’s transfer budget. Whilst this isn’t head turning money for the top 6 clubs and those with serious money behind them, it was head turning money for us.
  2. On the basis that last year‘s spend (less Berge) was £40m and a bit, I would have ordinarily expected a budget of £50m for this season, possibly more due to prize money and the potential to renegotiate the sponsorship. Let’s be optimistic and call that £60m for arguments sake.
  4. But we have to factor in the additional costs of the purchase of the property assets and (to a lesser extent) the progression of the new Academy. On top of that the anticipated payment of the TV money has reduced due to Covid-19. And the loss of gate receipts and commercial income. Given we have an owner who is the best in our lifetime, but admittedly doesn’t have the personal resources of many of his contemporaries, this has to have had an impact. Probably to a disproportionate extent. Wilder has pretty much conceded this point in recent interviews.
So based on the above and everything Wilder has said, I think our budget will have had a haircut of at least another £10m. This may have hit a fair few of our contemporaries so may distort the market, but it to me points to a budget of £20-30m. I don’t hold the club responsible as it’s been factors outside of our control, but I think all the evidence available points to a reduced budget.

That infers that our January transfer budget was £0 and all the Berge money came from the summer budget.

That is unlikely. More likely we had about £10m set aside for January if we needed it, and we spent £500k on Robinson, and brought forward £12m for Berge from the summer budget.

Is it realistic though?

I've agreed in here already that Hendrick would be a very solid signing, especially for no transfer fee.

But he's leaving Burnley because he's 'only' on £35,000 a week, and rejected a contract offer with an increase to that amount.....

Would the players like Lundstram/Egan/Basham, who are rumored to be wanting an increased wage (I know only rumored), accept Hendrick coming in and becoming the highest earner on what would be a minimum of £45,000/£50,000?

I think if the club is to progress then the wage bill will have to go up.
I’ve no idea what our players are earning. How much did McBurnie sign on with? How much does Fleck earn now after his new contract? How much is Sanger on?
I guess you only hear about the wage when a players not happy with it.

Is it realistic though?

Don't know, we have the Irish lads that might have bigged us up from a "good place to come to" angle, and we might play a better style for him as were less inclined to bypass midfield so maybe the same offer would be worth more in that regard, but wages are an issue going forward. We have to start paying for better quality, but we have to tread carefully.

No-one has an issue with Sander, Jags or Henderson though, who are all on more than everyone else you'd assume.

I expect we'll have a go for him though anyway, Wilder likes him.

I think if the club is to progress then the wage bill will have to go up.
I’ve no idea what our players are earning. How much did McBurnie sign on with? How much does Fleck earn now after his new contract? How much is Sanger on?
I guess you only hear about the wage when a players not happy with it.

McBurnie is on £20k a week thanks to the court ruling being based on 150% of his wage.

Think we must give out decent signing bonuses to keep the wages low.

McBurnie is on £20k a week thanks to the court ruling being based on 150% of his wage.

Think we must give out decent signing bonuses to keep the wages low.

How much do you reckon it took to get Sander to sign? He’s got to be more like 40k+ surely??

Ive double deducted Berge’s fee there (4 hours sleep!) so it could be higher 🤣🤣🤣👍

So what username do you use on the Leicester forums?
Does it matter ? Give it a rest. He is allowed an opinion no matter who he supports. If he is a wind up merchant people will ignore him

How much do you reckon it took to get Sander to sign? He’s got to be more like 40k+ surely??

Not necessarily. Can't imagine Belgian league wages are amazingly high.

Bucket of salt, but Football Manager says he was on €12.5k a week and they do a bit of research, has more foundation than our guesses anyway haha

Not really exciting transfer window if the budget is only £20m

Good job it isn't then, eh?

People pull these numbers out, and then it ends up as a quote direct from Wilder on twitter, and then there's the meltdowns, and then we spend double our "budget".

That's how it goes. Remember last summer?

Not necessarily. Can't imagine Belgian league wages are amazingly high.

Bucket of salt, but Football Manager says he was on €12.5k a week and they do a bit of research, has more foundation than our guesses anyway haha

I can fully imagine that being his wage back then. But with all the interest surrounding him we must have offered something very competitive. I imagine the bonus package will have been pretty good too!

Hopefully the budget is not reliant on selling players.

Even if the covid situation means it will be perhaps easier to sign players from the lower leagues for smaller fees, it would also mean that the fees received from selling players would also be reduced.
E.g. Robinson to West Brom, Lundstram before he goes on a free etc.

Nobody outside the club knows what the budget is, until the window shuts anyway.
And it will probably be negotiable depending on how well/bad the season is going come January, just like it was with Berge, who Wilder noted was signed both by taking part of the budget from next season, as well as because by January Berge realised there would be no relegation battle.

Hopefully the budget is not reliant on selling players.

Even if the covid situation means it will be perhaps easier to sign players from the lower leagues for smaller fees, it would also mean that the fees received from selling players would also be reduced.
E.g. Robinson to West Brom, Lundstram before he goes on a free etc.

Nobody outside the club knows what the budget is, until the window shuts anyway.
And it will probably be negotiable depending on how well/bad the season is going come January, just like it was with Berge, who Wilder noted was signed both by taking part of the budget from next season, as well as because by January Berge realised there would be no relegation battle.

Why would it be? Don’t think we’re desperate to sell anyone. Unless you know something we don’t??

Why would it be? Don’t think we’re desperate to sell anyone. Unless you know something we don’t??

I didn't say it would be, just that hopefully it is not.

Nobody knows the extent to which Covid has impacted sides, even in this league.

Prize money will help with TV money reduction and with the loans the club assets/acquisition wont dent it too much. So i'm guessing atleast the same if not a little more.
As all the games have actually been shown on tv and the PL has been completed - how much has the tv money been reduced?

As all the games have actually been shown on tv and the PL has been completed - how much has the tv money been reduced?
From what Ive others mention it is smaller foreign broadcasters that have been repaid causing a decrease of around 20-30m.

He'll be on around 20-25, at a guess. We have a rigid wage structure. There's no way he'll be on double our previous record signing.

This is the problem Wilder has. In essence, we can't compete with some champ sides on wage budget. Because the club is run properly. Pay Berge £40k and you have to pay most of the first team £40k.

He'll be on around 20-25, at a guess. We have a rigid wage structure. There's no way he'll be on double our previous record signing.

This is the problem Wilder has. In essence, we can't compete with some champ sides on wage budget. Because the club is run properly. Pay Berge £40k and you have to pay most of the first team £40k.
Thats the wage bill ( for a 25 man squad )of 50 million
Lower than Burnley's ( the lowest in the division )

Can see us having about 20-25 million to spend. But needing to get 3 or 4 squad players out of that.

We didn't give Didsy and Sharp extensions for nothing. The current squad will be the starters in September

Not really exciting transfer window if the budget is only £20m
I don’t believe it’ll be as low as £20 million for a moment however if it was true, it would be a truly fascinating window. Unknown names and unfancied talents coming in with us all wondering what CWAK had in mind and what they could do with them. If true, bring it on as the other PL teams would be in a much worse mess than us, and I’ll take our talent scouting from the lower leagues over theirs.

I suspect it might be a bit less, unless that's wages and transfers. We'll have chopped a bit of the wage bill with people leaving at the end of the season. I suspect he'll raise some money from sales as well.

Buying the club and losing £20 million of TV money, plus all that gate money lost. I suspect it will be a fairly frugal window, unless a long-term target pops up (such as a keeper).

I suspect it might be a bit less, unless that's wages and transfers. We'll have chopped a bit of the wage bill with people leaving at the end of the season. I suspect he'll raise some money from sales as well.

Buying the club and losing £20 million of TV money, plus all that gate money lost. I suspect it will be a fairly frugal window, unless a long-term target pops up (such as a keeper).

He's got a mortgage though so he didn't have to blow a £50m+ hole in the budget.

Back
Top Bottom