Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I used to have 6 ' Aunties' ,who were not related. Most of them are gone now but I remember them all fondly ,and my Mum was probably 'auntie Janet' to a few other kids who I still keep in touch with now. Better times.
The "aunties" were okay, it was the "uncles" you needed to worry about.

Looking at the old photos and reading some of the memories of old Sheffield it really brings home how many splendid buildings we have lost but saddest of all how many wonderful pubs we once had.

Yes, who can remember the delights of the Cannon, Brunswick, Hen & Chicks, Bull & Mouth, Alexandria and Marples :)

I’m going for Austin Cambridge, Ford Cortina Mk II and a Triumph Vitesse, though it might be a Herald.
Think you're right about the Cortina and Vitesse . My first thought is the other was a Morris Oxford or Austin Cambridge but not too sure as it looks a little too sleek.

Nice one, Never seen that photo before, on the other side of the road at some time would be the Newmarket Inn and a cafe we frequented called the copper kettle, Pond Street Nora used to wipe the tables for a free cuppa, bless her. Behind that was South Street with a picture house I think was called the Park, anyone over the aged of 10 could get in for an X rated film, once the cinema cat brushed past my legs during a horror film and I shit myself

Newmarket Inn, some time before any of us would have frequented it.

y00264.jpg

'Top Man' our Eddy, got him in my all time Blades team, back three, O'Connell-Colquhoun-Egan. Only trouble is and despite help off here cannot upload it, I'm computer illiterate. Bugger, it's such a good team ana'll, Sir Jimmy, TC, G Shaw, Hendo, Gillespie, Nudgger, Young Harry,
I think one of my all-time favourite Blades photos is of when Eddie had Frank Lampard and by the throat

Yes, who can remember the delights of the Cannon, Brunswick, Hen & Chicks, Bull & Mouth, Alexandria and Marples :)
You missed the Norfolk ,that was my Father in laws weekend crawl ,managed to get barred from most of them but they always let him back in. His weekday locals were the Steel Inn ,Merrie Monk and Manor castle and occasionally the Windsor but he always got in a scrap in there.

Nice one, Never seen that photo before, on the other side of the road at some time would be the Newmarket Inn and a cafe we frequented called the copper kettle, Pond Street Nora used to wipe the tables for a free cuppa, bless her. Behind that was South Street with a picture house I think was called the Park, anyone over the aged of 10 could get in for an X rated film, once the cinema cat brushed past my legs during a horror film and I shit myself

Park Picture Palace, after it had closed as a cinema and operated for a time as a bingo hall. This must be shortly before all that was demolished.

s19604.jpg

The Newmarket Inn, a Tetley house I think was there as were the Hyde Park/Park Hill flats in the 70s pre roundabout days though
My nannan & grandad lived on crown place,and that was one of the pubs they used daily,along with the Brunswick,sun inn,old harrow and the ball,amongst others...😁

And I found a photo of the Copper Kettle...

s19393.jpg

You missed the Norfolk ,that was my Father in laws weekend crawl ,managed to get barred from most of them but they always let him back in. His weekday locals were the Steel Inn ,Merrie Monk and Manor castle and occasionally the Windsor but he always got in a scrap in there.
A guy who worked for me told me a story about him having his hair cut in the Windsor one Saturday afternoon when a bloke came in on his motorbike and ordered a pint and drank it still sat on his bike. He thought the biker was strange but having his hair cut in the pub was quite normal🤔

Everyone got in a scrap at The Windsor. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom