Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Remember as an 18 yr old being stood in the taxi rank late one night with my girlfriend when a group of pissed up blokes stood behind us. She got a ”touched up” arse which resulted in me getting a busted nose.....ah, the good old days😊
Did you not remember the words of the song," When your in love with a beautiful woman, it's HARD." Must have taught you to duck though;).

Mid 60s there was a public convenience close to the kiosk, soon after leaving school I used to catch my bus to work from Pond Street, one morning I went for a piss in said bogs, whilst in there a voice came from within one of the WC traps "eh young un, there's no bog paper in here, nip and fetch me a Morning Telegraph" a hand came round the door handing me a shilling. A bit apprehensive I duly joined the queue at the kiosk, then gathering my senses, thought, a shilling, that's three days bus fare and promptly legged it. Needless to say I caught the bus a few stops further along for the next fortnight.
Well Ks life is funnier than fiction, top script writer would never have thought that up,
Your other reminiscences, …..Wiggys teles on't strap made me laugh 'cos it was true, most people did, thanks for the memory bump. The GPO one was my favourite though. That was exactly how I remember it as a kid late 40's My mother was always shushing me when we went in. Always thought it was because she had worked for the GPO after leaving school.

Kings Arms hotel on the right, prior to it getting bombed.

View attachment 77995

View attachment 77996
See your point SEB, what a good photo the top one is haven't seen that before, in fact believe it's the only one I've seen where there is a good view of the Kings Arms.
Getting back to point that my second hand story might not be true, it does sound outlandish, agreed. I believe we are all getting our Kings Head and Kings Arms mixed up. Kings Arms Commercial St, demolished 1973, road widening the impressive bank on the corner Fitzalan Sq also went same time. Fucking travesty, council ...spit..gob!!!
Kings Head, 1 Change Alley, built 1772 bombed 1940. If you look to the left on the second photo, bombed buildings, you should be able to see part of The News Theatre and part of the Bell pub. SEB have you lost your existential map?;)
Returning to the story I related it came from some one I had known closely many years, as I said a neighbour, next door but one to be exact. He was in the RAF WW2, engine mechanic on Lancs and Blenhiems, openly admitting he knew little of engines and basically what they did was diagnose fault take off U/S part go to stores swop for serviceable part replace part engine fine. Now that impressed me, as most blokes exaggerate a little so to me that said level headed bloke no bull shitter.
Although he was never out the UK in the front line, so to speak, they were in a front line in the sense that as ground crew they were attached to a particular crew. Periodically at random at the behest of the crew having to fly test flights in a/c that they had serviced. If their crew didn't return from a mission they must have felt loss. Also a/c were returning with injured and dead men in therefor they encountered what front line combatants experienced. Suspect every one was fed up of the carnage by the time the war ended.
This is a long winded way of saying that despite the outlandish nature of the story there's high probability it's true, with the only way to prove it is to trawl the court records and local news archives. I ain't got the time, sorry.

'Top Man' our Eddy, got him in my all time Blades team, back three, O'Connell-Colquhoun-Egan. Only trouble is and despite help off here cannot upload it, I'm computer illiterate. Bugger, it's such a good team ana'll, Sir Jimmy, TC, G Shaw, Hendo, Gillespie, Nudgger, Young Harry,

I was sixteen and half, I did thirteen and half years in total.
It was the probably the best years of my life, I was stationed in Malta for the close down.
I played football at some of the stations I was at, also ran a lot of cross country.
The best time was probably at SHAPE, me and a pal played football for the USA against a local Belgian side. Perhaps I could claim to be an international player.
Good man, got to be photos playing for the 'Yanks'. Please explain SHAPE, or don't if you have to kill me when you've explained.Thanks in advance.

Good man, got to be photos playing for the 'Yanks'. Please explain SHAPE, or don't if you have to kill me when you've explained.Thanks in advance.
Supreme Headquarters Allied Powers Europe. Had a drink in the Officers Club there once and got told to take my studenty pork pie hat off by some senior Sandhurst sort.

View attachment 77668

Thomas Ellin's in 1923. We'd not known my great-gran had worked there until this photo was included in a historic Sheffield section of the Star and someone in the family recognised her.
Tickhill Blade My mum and best friend (whom I called "auntie") are also on this photo. I too have a copy of this! Small world eh! 👍

Found this, looks like the same photographer, possibly the same day.
Just noticed your use of 'technicolor', never heard that term used with still photography only movie film. With your undoubted knowledge on this subject I wondered if I could learn something here. View attachment 77973
I doubt you'll learn owt from me XM657. I'm no expert at all and certainly not photography.
I was just using the term technicolor in it's more general sense of bright colours.
These kind of pics remind me of the "touched up" (if I can use that term these days) holiday scenery postcards from the 50's & 60's.
Excellent photos though. Thanks for sharing. 👍

Bert was in there one night with the Sheffield CID, so was Lol Knight, well known nutter.
Luckily somebody dragged Lol out just as he was about to launch a one man attack on the CID.
Lol, who you rightly label, "nutter", lived just on the road from me (and a few doors down from the notorious Brian the Blade 😉).
I grew up knowing of Lol's reputation and used to his antics, to me, as a kid, he was the massive bloke who called for his paper with their family poodle trotting alongside him, hardly the image of a known hard character 🙂
However, as I got older and started drinking and going in town, I saw the true side of Lol.
He was often on the same last bus as me (never paid his fare!) and got off the same stop. I used to get off and jog quickly until I was a safe distance ahead. One night he got off in front of me and collared me to walk on our road with him, he wrapped this massive arm around my shoulders (so I couldn't escape the beating awaiting me, I assumed).
He then regaled me with tales of all the coppers he'd beaten up, including he proudly boasted, superintendents and other very senior officers.
I waited for my turn to join this illustrious list before we reached my house, but as we reached our house he pressed a tenbob note in my hand and thanked me for being a good listener 😄

Sadly no-one thought to take any, as Paisley rightly said that is what the acronym SHAPE stands for. Scary times too in 1983 we were at an American airbase between Mons and Brussels on ‘Operation Able Archer’.
We lived in married quarters on the base, all of these were named after planets we were on ‘Rue De Pluto’, my Mate lived up Uranus..

A close up photo would be useful as it may have the brewery name on it. Mid 60s the only reason I went in was my Trades Union branch held their meetings there. If pushed I would say it was a Bass house then. The revolving door was unique, imagine the trouble that would cause today.
Kings Arms definitely a Higsons pub, it had a liverbird on a sign above the door.
Our lot (mostly under age drinkers) called in a few times as we began our pub crawl. One of our lot reckoned the upstairs room was a gay bar (not the term he used ), so he suggested we went up and have a laugh (?)!
First bloke I saw was a fellah who lived 3 doors down from me, we just looked at each other knowing his secret was safe with me anyway ( he was a real nice kind chap). We tried to get served but the staff just ignored us until we gave up and went.
We didn't go upstairs ever again 🙂

Lol, who you rightly label, "nutter", lived just on the road from me (and a few doors down from the notorious Brian the Blade 😉).
I grew up knowing of Lol's reputation and used to his antics, to me, as a kid, he was the massive bloke who called for his paper with their family poodle trotting alongside him, hardly the image of a known hard character 🙂
However, as I got older and started drinking and going in town, I saw the true side of Lol.
He was often on the same last bus as me (never paid his fare!) and got off the same stop. I used to get off and jog quickly until I was a safe distance ahead. One night he got off in front of me and collared me to walk on our road with him, he wrapped this massive arm around my shoulders (so I couldn't escape the beating awaiting me, I assumed).
He then regaled me with tales of all the coppers he'd beaten up, including he proudly boasted, superintendents and other very senior officers.
I waited for my turn to join this illustrious list before we reached my house, but as we reached our house he pressed a tenbob note in my hand and thanked me for being a good listener 😄
Yes I always think of him as a likeable bloke, many years ago one midsummer evening, me and my then girlfriend were stood at the bus stop opposite the Midhill Club when out strolls Lol with the Cockle sellers basket on his arm, he crossed East Bank Road came up to us with a mischievous grin on his face and gave us a jar of mussels each, then cool as you like strolled up Myrtle Road in the direction of the Ball

Reactions: LSF
Rowley one of many backward steps.

But he made some good signings. Hemsley, Powell, Tudor and Colquhoun were good ones. His other signings were Flynn and Crawford.

Not sure if the photo I posted yesterday was taken before or after the pre season tour at Holland. Chairman Dick Wragg and General Manager John Harris had heard that Blades players were unhappy about a bonus related scheme so they flew over to Holland to hold a meeting. The meeting went on for a long time with an agreement. Rowley halted the meeting and whisked the players off to a race meeting at Hilversum ( I think). Wragg and Harris weren't happy with Rowley ending the meeting so they flew home and told the other directors about it. A few days after the players returned from Holland, the club then sacked Rowley on the eve of the season. The directors were already fed up of Rowley' s obsession with horse racing. I remember my dad telling me that during matches, Rowley would be in the Directors box listening to the racing results from his transistor radio!

See your point SEB, what a good photo the top one is haven't seen that before, in fact believe it's the only one I've seen where there is a good view of the Kings Arms.
Getting back to point that my second hand story might not be true, it does sound outlandish, agreed. I believe we are all getting our Kings Head and Kings Arms mixed up. Kings Arms Commercial St, demolished 1973, road widening the impressive bank on the corner Fitzalan Sq also went same time. Fucking travesty, council ...spit..gob!!!
Kings Head, 1 Change Alley, built 1772 bombed 1940. If you look to the left on the second photo, bombed buildings, you should be able to see part of The News Theatre and part of the Bell pub. SEB have you lost your existential map?;)
Returning to the story I related it came from some one I had known closely many years, as I said a neighbour, next door but one to be exact. He was in the RAF WW2, engine mechanic on Lancs and Blenhiems, openly admitting he knew little of engines and basically what they did was diagnose fault take off U/S part go to stores swop for serviceable part replace part engine fine. Now that impressed me, as most blokes exaggerate a little so to me that said level headed bloke no bull shitter.
Although he was never out the UK in the front line, so to speak, they were in a front line in the sense that as ground crew they were attached to a particular crew. Periodically at random at the behest of the crew having to fly test flights in a/c that they had serviced. If their crew didn't return from a mission they must have felt loss. Also a/c were returning with injured and dead men in therefor they encountered what front line combatants experienced. Suspect every one was fed up of the carnage by the time the war ended.
This is a long winded way of saying that despite the outlandish nature of the story there's high probability it's true, with the only way to prove it is to trawl the court records and local news archives. I ain't got the time, sorry.

Here's a photo taken of Commercial Street, you can see what I think was the YEB office (with bridge) and behind the demolition of what I think is the building you are referring to.

electricity_department_offices.jpg.deec046c2d35ba3ba49963514d536a30.jpg

Here's a photo taken of Commercial Street, you can see what I think was the YEB office (with bridge) and behind the demolition of what I think is the building you are referring to.

View attachment 78050
Can anyone name the 3 cars in the foreground. Is that the Town Hall and St Marie's spire faintly on the skyline

Yes I always think of him as a likeable bloke, many years ago one midsummer evening, me and my then girlfriend were stood at the bus stop opposite the Midhill Club when out strolls Lol with the Cockle sellers basket on his arm, he crossed East Bank Road came up to us with a mischievous grin on his face and gave us a jar of mussels each, then cool as you like strolled up Myrtle Road in the direction of the Ball
Wow! I was going to quote the self same incident! You were obviously at the bus stop as me and my mates were hanging about around the chippy on Myrtle Road. Lol came strolling on the road towards Ball with aforementioned cockle basket on his arm, distributed some of contents to us young teenage adolescents, and carried on towards Ball.
Next thing, cop car pulls up and asks us if we'd seen Lol Knight carrying a stolen cockle basket.
"No officer, not seen him, honest!"
Breath stinking very fishlike...... 😄

An interesting photo of Commercial Street/Sheaf Street. This row of shops sit on what is now the Park Square roundabout.

View attachment 78051
Nice one, Never seen that photo before, on the other side of the road at some time would be the Newmarket Inn and a cafe we frequented called the copper kettle, Pond Street Nora used to wipe the tables for a free cuppa, bless her. Behind that was South Street with a picture house I think was called the Park, anyone over the aged of 10 could get in for an X rated film, once the cinema cat brushed past my legs during a horror film and I shit myself

Tickhill Blade My mum and best friend (whom I called "auntie") are also on this photo. I too have a copy of this! Small world eh! 👍
I used to have 6 ' Aunties' ,who were not related. Most of them are gone now but I remember them all fondly ,and my Mum was probably 'auntie Janet' to a few other kids who I still keep in touch with now. Better times.

Wow! I was going to quote the self same incident! You were obviously at the bus stop as me and my mates were hanging about around the chippy on Myrtle Road. Lol came strolling on the road towards Ball with aforementioned cockle basket on his arm, distributed some of contents to us young teenage adolescents, and carried on towards Ball.
Next thing, cop car pulls up and asks us if we'd seen Lol Knight carrying a stolen cockle basket.
[/QUOTE
Small world my friend, a very small word

Back
Top Bottom