Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Nice one XM. Is that a Joe Scarborough type print. If it's accurate it shows the Liver bird and Higsons brewery's name on the King's Head, the mysterious Cowshed actually on the opposite corner to the Norfolk
Just noticed, it's Kings Arms, Commercial St, Kings Head was on Change Alley and destroyed, 12/13 Dec 1940. Am't spotted Liver Bird is that it, that red, below Higsons?

Yep, Billy played for Windsor for over 20 years.
Still pals with Bill and hear from him regularly. See him too in normal times. Brilliant player.
I worked with Billy for a year or so on the demolition,mid 90s,knocking a power station down in Manchester,Carrington...good lad Billy bad back..lol.

Just noticed, it's Kings Arms, Commercial St, Kings Head was on Change Alley and destroyed, 12/13 Dec 1940. Am't spotted Liver Bird is that it, that red, below Higsons?
Yes, I reckon the bit of red is the Liverbird, I think I've wrongly called it the King's Head all my life!. I am told the Athol, Charles Street had revolving doors at that time, also the Higson trade mark was a barrel top with a H impressed in it.

That's interesting. When I was trying to recall about S and E, I couldn't quite remember whether those vacuum tubes were there are not. Like you say ST, I also remember them at Banners.
But weren't they also in other dept stores in town???
I’ve got a vague recollection of sometimes being dragged by my mum up to Prices at Broomhill and they had one.

I worked with Billy for a year or so on the demolition,mid 90s,knocking a power station down in Manchester,Carrington...good lad Billy bad back..lol.
Still in a tangle with his back!
Still in a tangle with his back! 🙁
And if you worked with him you'll know he is an international class farter! 💩

Still in a tangle with his back!

Still in a tangle with his back! 🙁
And if you worked with him you'll know he is an international class farter! 💩
He use to walk up to clubs on city rd,I use to booze with their Terry in bottom of lane and a few others,good lads both Billy and Terry.

Reactions: LSF
That's interesting. When I was trying to recall about S and E, I couldn't quite remember whether those vacuum tubes were there are not. Like you say ST, I also remember them at Banners.
But weren't they also in other dept stores in town???
Cockaynes definitely had them.

Bert went to the Spurs away game, as ever he still has the programme.

View attachment 78235View attachment 78236
Believe you have a soft spot for Spurs Bert.
No wonder with a team like the programme shows. Morgan the only one I can't put a face too. The rest, not only can I visualise, I can recall their footballing prowess. None I would mark less than 8 out of 10 for all round ability but two stand out for me.
Pat Jennings, best goalkeeper I ever saw. No disrespect to other top goalkeepers around the world and at least a couple at the lane but in his pomp he was awesome. He had good physical ability coupled with strength and uncanny anticipation with unmovable concentration all wrapped in a aura of calmness.
The other one, Martin Chivers, big strong and no mean ability, He had the nack of getting in front of the defender then shooting or bringing others in to play. If I had to add another, would be Alan Gilzean much like Chivers with possibly a better footballing brain, Both were players that were preferable on your own side and not the oppositions

No wonder with a team like the programme shows. Morgan the only one I can't put a face too. The rest, not only can I visualise, I can recall their footballing prowess. None I would mark less than 8 out of 10 for all round ability but two stand out for me.
Pat Jennings, best goalkeeper I ever saw. No disrespect to other top goalkeepers around the world and at least a couple at the lane but in his pomp he was awesome. He had good physical ability coupled with strength and uncanny anticipation with unmovable concentration all wrapped in a aura of calmness.
The other one, Martin Chivers, big strong and no mean ability, He had the nack of getting in front of the defender then shooting or bringing others in to play. If I had to add another, would be Alan Gilzean much like Chivers with possibly a better footballing brain, Both were players that were preferable on your own side and not the oppositions
Indeed Bert has always had a soft spot for Spurs, going back to his youth and the days of Jimmy Greaves.
Talking of whom, this was the game he scored his 37th league goal in the season. Still a Tottenham record.
15880626476353419335633687607210.jpgIMG_20200428_092613.jpg

Roger Morgan I think started at QPR. He was one of the many "next George Best" players, don't think he was as good as Georgie.. :)

Indeed Bert has always had a soft spot for Spurs, going back to his youth and the days of Jimmy Greaves.
Talking of whom, this was the game he scored his 37th league goal in the season. Still a Tottenham record.
View attachment 78301View attachment 78302
Good to see the pigs holding Leyton Orient to a draw. ;)
ps ain't this a good way to pass the time. Well done Bert.

Mike England was a Welshman, Gil Reece at no. 8, Crook and Kibble the linesman double act, both from the London area

Mike England.

'Michael so Irish. England so English. And yet he made his debut for Wales against Scotland.'

This was the headline on an article in Charles Buchan's Football Monthly in the mid 1960's.

Funny what things you remember.

Roger Morgan I think started at QPR. He was one of the many "next George Best" players, don't think he was that good. :)
Roger Morgan I think started at QPR. He was one of the many "next George Best" players, don't think he was that good. :)
Thanks, unfortunately still have no recollection.
My personal opinion G Best was the best attacking player I've seen, pity other distraction got in the way.
Couple of pictures of R Morgan playing for Spurs, both with a little humour in them, hopefully put a smile on a few faces.
One with the ladies on, could almost run a caption competition with. In the wall one believe RM is on the right.

15880668620737480811851910050776.jpg
Roger Morgan I think started at QPR. He was one of the many "next George Best" players, don't think he was as good as Georgie.. :)
Bert also went to this game just to see Greaves. Roger Morgan scored the only goal.

15880668984733090336087223307244.jpg

Not sure if you are getting a bit confused with dates here, but by the 70s her shop was on the corner of Earl Way and Furnival Gate in town
View attachment 78245
Dead right ECL, getting totally confused. 🤪. Had to look at my diary of ex girlfriends ( all 2 pages). It would have been between 1970 and 1973 just after starting work.

Back
Top Bottom