Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I've found a couple more may be of interest. First, a couple taken from the roof of what was then Telephone House, showing the Calver St/Wellington St area. Taken in March 1983.

View attachment 76781

View attachment 76782

And finally, for now, one along Wellington St towards Calver St from Cambridge St end, taken in July 1986. I've got some more somewhere.......View attachment 76783
Not wanting to doubt you but the final picture shows (I think) the nearly completed fire station in the background. This opened in 1990 so picture could be 89 ish as scaffolding still up.

Not wanting to doubt you but the final picture shows (I think) the nearly completed fire station in the background. This opened in 1990 so picture could be 89 ish as scaffolding still up.
That's interesting CB, according to the info I've got, the Fire Station opened in stages from 1986 to fully in operational and official opened in March 1988, which ties in nicely with my dates .
I'm open to alternatives though...

These are the building in question, XM657. The Google earth pic below should be pretty recent. They are definitely on the top section between Division Street and West St. 👍 View attachment 76803
Got me bang to rights there governor. I have seen your other photos (Well. St. Cav. St. X rds.) and the 'Cat shop', painted red & white, was diagonally opposite where I worked '58-61, so by the time you took your photo, where I worked it had been demolished and the Tele Com HQ built. Ackroyd&Abbott built it and the tower crane collapsed one Satdi. morning, unloading scaffold. Driver survived retuning to work being told he had a job for life. He was laid off several years later.

My father spent his entire working life working on the buses in Sheffield. In terms of livery, my fondest memories were from the early 70s with the cream and dark blue buses, like this Leyland Atlantean.
View attachment 76750
If I close my eyes I can see the 98 looking just like that , chugging up Wheel Lane , prior to terminating at Bridge Street having taken us on a 2p tour of North Sheffield.

Socks with sandals :(

:)
All the fashion in '48, don't you remember? Plus the must have accessory the 'Ice Cream Cornet'. I were a nesh bugger and remember I had just had a war all week persuading officer IC 'phaloos' to cough up for said bat.

Looking at the back of that bat I bet the ball went pretty well if you caught it sweetly.

Bit of heartwood on the outside edge so probably needed some tape or glue at some point 😀
Gunn&Moore short handle. Not top quality but to me at six it was the bees knees. Used it on garden as a kid waiting to grow into it. The school I attended had a 1st11(seniors 15-16 before comp. schools) v Teachers match every year, in which my grandfather, sixty and Caretaker, played. He duly batted got his few runs and was persuaded by Mr, fat bastard, Woodward to lend him the bat. Fat Bast*** Woodward a local leagues player then went out and creamed the 15-16 year olds into the allotments, bowling green, tennis courts and the swings and slides area until he split the bat a couple of inches in from the edge and about six inches long, FAT BAS****. Bat was taped, tacky black electrical tape of the day, horrible. As a consequence never used it myself.
So in retrospect your prognosis was correct.

Who remembers the old football special trains from back in the day , used to be a great atmosphere on them but no wonder they always used to put the old carriages on them as they used to get wrecked
View attachment 76610
On the 11 march 1967 the team travelled on same train as supporters. FA Cup 5thR V Chelsea, 2-0 loss Hatley two, at least they did on the way back.
I don't know if it happened on other occasions, maybe someone does.

Didn’t know about Hockey on Jowitt, one of my mates lived on Jowitt, many snooker games on a mini table in his front room.
Corner House with jowitt and wyatt Ave, don't you remember his blue suede triumph. Would let me touch for Bob a job though

Some very knowledgeable people on this thread regarding Sheffield and surrounding areas . Not from Sheffield area myself got me thinking , is there a specific area where De- Dah is spoken . Go to Barnsley away game and all they sing is De- Dah, De-Dah. But on a match day you don’t very often hear it spoken although there are crowds of 30000.
Worst case we ever heard was on a boat trip in Tenby , a group got on and where talking very strong De-Dah Sheffield accents, my wife thought it was proper Welsh accents until I told her they are from Sheffield.
So just wondered if it was only from a certain part of Sheffield this accent originally comes from , like if you are born within the sounds of Bow bells you are a proper cockney and talk utter crap.
I think it's dying out. Accents and dialects change over time, and it's just not as commonplace as it was. Although it made us sound rough as a bear's arse, I'm sad it's going because it made us unique - I live and work in Barnsley, and the accent there has had the rough edges knocked off too, meaning we sound a lot more similar than we did. I've always loved that in almost all of the country Asda is a supermarket, whereas in Sheffield it's a question!!😂😂😂

Corner House with jowitt and wyatt Ave, don't you remember his blue suede triumph. Would let me touch for Bob a job though

Which side? My mate was the last one before The Lawns after Wyatt (and another mate lived opposite on The Lawns). Don’t remember the car at all!

When this is all over there is an open invite for Bert to call in at Casa BB next time he is in Sheffield to partake in any Habanos marque he wishes, including a selection of custom hand rolled by locals on the island. The rum however will be Guyanese or Barbadian as these are, in my considered opinion, superior to any of the Cuban offerings.
View attachment 76569
Bert's just found another one, you don't see it very often. IMG_20200411_222618.jpg

Nobody in Barnsley says dee or dah unless they are from Sheffield. It's a hanging offence!
Still plenty Dee data na den going of In Sheffield we had a family do not long back and my daughters video it it was embarrassing anybody who wasn’t from Sheffield wouldn’t have understood us.

I think it's dying out. Accents and dialects change over time, and it's just not as commonplace as it was. Although it made us sound rough as a bear's arse, I'm sad it's going because it made us unique - I live and work in Barnsley, and the accent there has had the rough edges knocked off too, meaning we sound a lot more similar than we did. I've always loved that in almost all of the country Asda is a supermarket, whereas in Sheffield it's a question!!😂😂😂
Great last sentence.😂😂😂

Had a few good nights out there, and also at the Greyhound, and was it The Ball next door?

I had my first ever drink in the Tankard aged 16 in 1973, first and last time I ever drank bitter, horrible stuff. Four pints & I was in a right old state & it wasn't long before I was puking for England. A year or so later & I was a pretty regular visitor to the Greyhound, much preferred it to The Ball.

On the 11 march 1967 the team travelled on same train as supporters. FA Cup 5thR V Chelsea, 2-0 loss Hatley two, at least they did on the way back.
I don't know if it happened on other occasions, maybe someone does.
A Shareholder brought it up in the next AGM saying that it was a disgrace that the team travelled by train for the Chelsea FA Cup match while other clubs had their own coach. The club then decided that the players go to away matches by coach.

Fantastic Chip Shop, though not been in for ages. Never on match days but often for a quick tea when running late. Many times with 'ur Gert, having a reight chinwag with the couple who own it. They are a real delight, we are old farts but it's like being with your Granma and Grandad, tell me they are OK. I'm hoping so. Bloody good fish and chips an'all. Believe they were, one season, voted best chip shop for match days out of the whole football league.

Back
Top Bottom