Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The Griffin was a nice pub , as was the White Bear off photo to the right . It had a great darts team which I think once included World Champion Dennis Priestley .

The Black Bull served a lovely pint and was noted for the singing of local carols at Christmas , led by Ike Baxter , a local cricketing legend who played for Whitley Hall well into his sixties .
They still sing the carols in the Black Bull.
Brian Gloag and Albert Rodgers were the White Bear's stalwart darts players.
Joe Cocker once turned up and sang in the upstairs concert room. Bert missed it. 😟

I thought it was a low class hotel about 15 years ago. Is it still open?
It was never a hotel, it was a decent restaurant in the days when they were few and far between, the main old house is still there but the rest is now flats.
Frank Rushby owned it.

Being at Westfield School this is where I did most of my drinking between the ages of 14-17. I was mature for my age :D. I remember my first venture into the Vine. I was the tallest so was designated to go and get the drinks. Four pints of lager downed far too quickly as we were stood outside and the local cop shop was just up the road.

Got Home and spewed it all up on my bedroom floor. Mother went ballistic. Dad thought it was hilarious. I waited a few more weeks till I'd got to the veteran drinking age of 15 before I went out again.

Last edited:
Bert was a Griffin man.
Was it when Jean and Al had it ? Bit younger than Bert but moved in identical circles. Christmas Carols at the church and then a piss up with the teachers in The Griffin at age of 16 . Could be frowned upon these days ....

The Griffin was a nice pub , as was the White Bear off photo to the right . It had a great darts team which I think once included World Champion Dennis Priestley .

The Black Bull served a lovely pint and was noted for the singing of local carols at Christmas , led by Ike Baxter , a local cricketing legend who played for Whitley Hall well into his sixties .
Ike a major part of my young life at WHCC.

My only recollection of Ecclesfield was playing football for the school against Ecclesfield Grammar. There was a long drive up to the school and on one side was a grass tennis court.

I'd never seen a grass tennis court before, only hard courts in council parks.

Was it when Jean and Al had it ? Bit younger than Bert but moved in identical circles. Christmas Carols at the church and then a piss up with the teachers in The Griffin at age of 16 . Could be frowned upon these days ....
It was indeed Jean and Al. Bert was in there at 14.

My only recollection of Ecclesfield was playing football for the school against Ecclesfield Grammar. There was a long drive up to the school and on one side was a grass tennis court.

I'd never seen a grass tennis court before, only hard courts in council parks.
Three grass courts, now sadly car parks.

Bert is certain it was never a hotel.
Although Bert is certain and I understand his knowledge of Ecclesfield far outweighs mine. Is it within Bert's remit to speak to some who resided in Ecclesfield more recently than Bert regarding the status of The Regency as a hotel?

Although Bert is certain and I understand his knowledge of Ecclesfield far outweighs mine. Is it within Bert's remit to speak to some who resided in Ecclesfield more recently than Bert regarding the status of The Regency as a hotel?
Bert will consult a resident elderly Ecclesfeldian and report back in due course.

Bert has just been pondering, it could have been a hotel for a short while towards the end of it's life.

It was never a hotel, it was a decent restaurant in the days when they were few and far between, the main old house is still there but the rest is now flats.
Frank Rushby owned it.

Rushbys Caterers?

Bert has just been pondering, it could have been a hotel for a short while towards the end of it's life.

It wasn't a hotel back in the seventies. Purely a restaurant event venue, Gentlemans Sports Events etc. ( Saw Geoff Miller there, one of the best after dinner speakers I've seen) The owners were clients at the first firm l worked for. The offices and some private accommodation were upstairs.

It wasn't a hotel back in the seventies. Purely a restaurant event venue, Gentlemans Sports Events etc. ( Saw Geoff Miller there, one of the best after dinner speakers I've seen) The owners were clients at the first firm l worked for. The offices and some private accommodation were upstairs.
Bert thinks it would have cost a fortune to convert it and not worth the effort.

All this talk of pubs has got me thinking about my drinking days in Sheffield. Granted later than all these other tales, but the Hammer and Pincers at Bents Green. I first went in regularly when Nina Crownshaw was landlady - but who was the landlord before Nina? It's bugging me

All this talk of pubs has got me thinking about my drinking days in Sheffield. Granted later than all these other tales, but the Hammer and Pincers at Bents Green. I first went in regularly when Nina Crownshaw was landlady - but who was the landlord before Nina? It's bugging me

Brian Tissington

Prior to that, John Booth

If my memory serves correctly

When was this mate? It was a regular haunt of ours in the mid to late 80s.

Back
Top Bottom