Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Pub across the road is the Ball. Photo probably taken from site of Granellis. ( anyone remember Peter G ?). and a little further up was The Durham Ox. Think Violet Mays was situated there.

l think it’s taken from what was Shukers site just below Granellis shop and yard. The pub was the Old Blue Ball. Violet Mays , after originally being on Duke Street was on south Street near the Park Pictures.

What a strange take on what I posted! :oops:

I didn't know Brown's was only closed for a refurb. There was no indication of that when we went there a few months ago. No signs in the window or anything like that. That's good news then! Delighted to hear it! 👍

I've not tried Public, I'm grateful for that recommendation - it sounds good. I'm familiar with the Picture House Social and have been there many times.

I walked along Pinstone Street the other day and down Fargate. Nearly every other shop on Pinstone has shut down. At one end, next to Barclay's bank, there's a scruffy looking cafe. You go down Fargate and it's a similar picture, phone shops, nail bars, charity shops. Now, the reason I mention that is NOT to "slag the city off", it's because I care actually, and I hate to see it. I've grown up in this city and been here for most of my life. I remember when it was a hive of activity, when had several huge department stores in the centre, Schofields, Robert Brothers, Walsh;s, Cole Brothers, Paulden's, Atkinsons. I remember when Fargate was absolutely buzzing with life, same with Pinstone Street, and I think it's just terrible seeing it as it is. I don't think that by pointing it out I'm slagging the city off at all. But, if you want to take it that way, then go ahead! :rolleyes:
Schofields? Cockeynes surely.

As you say , Whitbread Trophy was truly foul . However , before that came along , the brewery they took over in Sheffield produced some very decent beers and that was the Tennants Exchange Brewery on Bridge Street .

As I recall there were 4 which were Amber , Rock , Best Bitter and Queens . The latter was the most expensive at just over a shilling a pint (5 and 1/2 p) and it was a superb very pale but strong ale .

Four of those down your neck on a Friday night at the Royal Oak in Chapeltown were quite enough to convince you you could pull any girl in the world before you went to the dance at the nearby Newton Hall .

Good old days indeed .
Cheers mate. Although I'm knocking on a bit I just missed out on Tennants- my dad said it was great beer!

Tetleys was and is still the drink of the God's as and where you can get it, as regards bitter. If some twat with a beard and tattoos down one arm is involved Bert won't touch it.
Same goes for cocktails in this country, some dickhead claiming he's a mixologist. Bert has never had anything like a decent cocktail in this country.
Today is the Bert birthday he's been drinking proper English beer, Lebanese wine and he's about to start on the malt whisky.
Up the Blades etc. Hic.

Tet’s was really good until they stopped brewing it in L***s. Did the Tetley Pub Hunt in the 80s round the pubs of SW Sheff and town, got a t-shirt!

Happy Birthday Sir Bertram.

Whitbread started brewing Queens ale again in the eighties, I didn’t think it was anything special and it didn’t last long but I’m guessing it was nothing like as good as when Tennants brewed it.

Queen’s Ale was OK but you could generally get Castle Eden in Whitbread pubs at that time, which was always our go to beer.

Whitbread started brewing Queens ale again in the eighties, I didn’t think it was anything special and it didn’t last long but I’m guessing it was nothing like as good as when Tennants brewed it.
Queen’s Ale was OK but you could generally get Castle Eden in Whitbread pubs at that time, which was always our go to beer.

DirtyLeeds Arms in South Anston got a makeover about 1980, from tatty village local to go-to pub for the local yoof just as I was coming to drinking age.
Crap Trophy, variable Castle Eden but spot on Queens Ale, albeit not always on.
Actually the Trophy could be that thin sometimes that it needed half a bottle of barley wine to pep it up.

My uncle worked from Lady's Bridge as a tanker driver (for the big pubs and WMCs).
Pulled up outside our house a few times and the 'dregs' from that day's delivery were superb. Even as a spotty teenager, it was difficult to believe how good the beer was straight out of the brewery and how poor it could be in the local pubs.

DirtyLeeds Arms in South Anston got a makeover about 1980, from tatty village local to go-to pub for the local yoof just as I was coming to drinking age.
Crap Trophy, variable Castle Eden but spot on Queens Ale, albeit not always on.
Actually the Trophy could be that thin sometimes that it needed half a bottle of barley wine to pep it up.

My uncle worked from Lady's Bridge as a tanker driver (for the big pubs and WMCs).
Pulled up outside our house a few times and the 'dregs' from that day's delivery were superb. Even as a spotty teenager, it was difficult to believe how good the beer was straight out of the brewery and how poor it could be in the local pubs.
It’s about looking after the beer and there’s not many good landlords about.

What a strange take on what I posted! :oops:

I didn't know Brown's was only closed for a refurb. There was no indication of that when we went there a few months ago. No signs in the window or anything like that. That's good news then! Delighted to hear it! 👍

I've not tried Public, I'm grateful for that recommendation - it sounds good. I'm familiar with the Picture House Social and have been there many times.

I walked along Pinstone Street the other day and down Fargate. Nearly every other shop on Pinstone has shut down. At one end, next to Barclay's bank, there's a scruffy looking cafe. You go down Fargate and it's a similar picture, phone shops, nail bars, charity shops. Now, the reason I mention that is NOT to "slag the city off", it's because I care actually, and I hate to see it. I've grown up in this city and been here for most of my life. I remember when it was a hive of activity, when had several huge department stores in the centre, Schofields, Robert Brothers, Walsh;s, Cole Brothers, Paulden's, Atkinsons. I remember when Fargate was absolutely buzzing with life, same with Pinstone Street, and I think it's just terrible seeing it as it is. I don't think that by pointing it out I'm slagging the city off at all. But, if you want to take it that way, then go ahead! :rolleyes:
The lady doth protest too much...

You slag Sheffield/Sheffielders off at any opportunity. Rather than actually thinking about what really might be happening or looking into the situation, you prefer to go with the negative view.

The whole of Pinstone Street that you mention will be redeveloped. The old Perisian style block that fronts towards the Peace Gardens is to become a Radisson Blu.

I'm back to my 110 instamatic with these two...
October 1976.
First Looking along Division/Devonshire St, with part of the Royal Hospital looming up on the right.

View attachment 76108

Below, junction of Leopold/West/Church St.
View attachment 76110

The first photo - Division Street / Devonshire Green. At the end of the road and up to the right I think there was the Hornblower pub. A Whitbread house.

Originally The Raven
Check that. Bit of a dump late 50's, used from dances at Glossop Rd baths.
On that photo is the Prince of Wales, corner of Westfield Terrace. Well used by self early mid 70's.

Back
Top Bottom