Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The lady doth protest too much...

You slag Sheffield/Sheffielders off at any opportunity. Rather than actually thinking about what really might be happening or looking into the situation, you prefer to go with the negative view.

The whole of Pinstone Street that you mention will be redeveloped. The old Perisian style block that fronts towards the Peace Gardens is to become a Radisson Blu.
Yes. I get a bit fed up of it too. You only have to look at some of Andingmen's photos to realise how much the city has changed, a lot of it for the better. The recent announcement of the Radisson can only be a good thing for the city. And while there may be charity shops and phone shops on Fargate (not so sure about the nailbars) we also have Marks and Spencer, Hotel Chocolat etc. The Moor has improved dramatically over the last few years and will continue to do so as more parts of the Heart of the City 2 scheme come on stream. As you say there are plans to redevelop Fargate and improve the shopping offer. I know we are miles behind the likes of Leeds and Manchester in this respect, but the public spaces are terrific and are a credit to our much maligned council. I suggest that if anyone is interested they visit the Sheffield Skyscraper City forum to find out why things do and do not get approved in Sheffield, and to se that it is not as grim as some people think.

Originally The Raven
Scene of first drink on licensed premises day before my 15th birthday April 5 1980, prior to derby match at BDTBL.

Fast forward to today when I can legally access my very poorly performing pension ' pot ' ....... currently deciding whether to celebrate by walking clockwise or anti around kitchen.

Scene of first drink on licensed premises day before my 15th birthday April 5 1980, prior to derby match at BDTBL.

Fast forward to today when I can legally access my very poorly performing pension ' pot ' ....... currently deciding whether to celebrate by walking clockwise or anti around kitchen.
Well, Happy Birthday anyway. 😀

Massive celebration on NKT about that game especially as they took nearly the whole ground.:confused: Absolutely creaming themselves.

The lady doth protest too much...

You slag Sheffield/Sheffielders off at any opportunity. Rather than actually thinking about what really might be happening or looking into the situation, you prefer to go with the negative view.

The whole of Pinstone Street that you mention will be redeveloped. The old Perisian style block that fronts towards the Peace Gardens is to become a Radisson Blu.
Well that’s your take on it, and you are entitled to your opinion.

I love this city. I’ve spent most of my life here. It is my home. I want it to be the best and I want to feel proud of it. I think Sheffield folk are the salt of the earth. None better! But I do think their expectations are desperately low and hold the city back - because many know nothing else.

When you see it falling apart at the seams I suppose you can take the defensive view, that it’s alright really, or you can speak up about it and try and make those in charge wake their bloody ideas up and get with it.

I favour the latter. I think we should say, “WTF is happening to our city?” And we should challenge those in power to make it better.

To me, only by challenging the thinking of some of these Neanderthals in power, can we ever hope to have a truly great city.

You prefer to think, “it’s all ok and we are doing ok”. I don’t. I think the decline of this city is a tragedy and I’d like to change that.

I can’t of course, by my self. And I definitely can’t while we’ve got small minded folk around who attack folks for wanting to change things for the better, from Rotherham district!

Originally The Raven

The go to pub on a Thursday night when they always had a live band , usually rock and blues based . I saw Joe Cocker there many times .

The place was always heaving with a mixture of students and city lads and girls but I don't recall any friction between the two groups , unlike some other places at the time .

Well that’s your take on it, and you are entitled to your opinion.

I love this city. I’ve spent most of my life here. It is my home. I want it to be the best and I want to feel proud of it. I think Sheffield folk are the salt of the earth. None better! But I do think their expectations are desperately low and hold the city back - because many know nothing else.

When you see it falling apart at the seams I suppose you can take the defensive view, that it’s alright really, or you can speak up about it and try and make those in charge wake their bloody ideas up and get with it.

I favour the latter. I think we should say, “WTF is happening to our city?” And we should challenge those in power to make it better.

To me, only by challenging the thinking of some of these Neanderthals in power, can we ever hope to have a truly great city.

You prefer to think, “it’s all ok and we are doing ok”. I don’t. I think the decline of this city is a tragedy and I’d like to change that.

I can’t of course, by my self. And I definitely can’t while we’ve got small minded folk around who attack folks for wanting to change things for the better, from Rotherham district!
I've got nothing against change, or challenging the status quo, whatsoever. Quite the opposite, as I actively involve myself in engaging with the development of the city. What do you do, other than whinging on a football forum?

My issue is with making an assumption, without bothering to actually look at what the real situation is. You're investigative skills are quite evidently ample enough to have found the information out on the examples you originally provided - you've proven that by figuring out I am from Rotherham. However, I haven't lived there for 12 years, so that tendency to make assumptions has shown itself again...

Tongue-in-cheek 'banter' aside (God, I sound like McCabe...), there's an abundance of people who aren't from Sheffield, who live here, care about it and make it a better place, and to end on a positive note; Sheffield still has the highest retention rate of students after graduating (outside of London). So whilst it's far from perfect, it must be doing something right, eh?

Tongue-in-cheek 'banter' aside (God, I sound like McCabe...), there's an abundance of people who aren't from Sheffield, who live here, care about it and make it a better place, and to end on a positive note;

But there are many more who have come to the city, turned areas into slums and ghettos. And with this looney council nothing will ever get done about it. Love cosmpolitanity but more than that hate criminality. Be great if some of the lily livered councillors had bought a house as a nest egg for retiring and then find it impossible to sell it.

Not a Blades related thread, but this was the most appropriate one I could find. Some years ago I bought a load of glass negatives at a Sheffield auction. These appeared to be from the Edwardian era (around 1900 - 1910). They are all family shots, including weddings, but I've not been able to trace the people on the photos. Here's one which might give a clue. Can anyone recognise this house (or street)? I'm not even sure that it is in Sheffield, but it could well be. It's a terraced house on a steeply sloping road. The bay window may be a clue, being of stone, not wood, and it has the curved tops to the windows. Also the house is built of stone, not bricks. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.Scan.jpeg

Not a Blades related thread, but this was the most appropriate one I could find. Some years ago I bought a load of glass negatives at a Sheffield auction. These appeared to be from the Edwardian era (around 1900 - 1910). They are all family shots, including weddings, but I've not been able to trace the people on the photos. Here's one which might give a clue. Can anyone recognise this house (or street)? I'm not even sure that it is in Sheffield, but it could well be. It's a terraced house on a steeply sloping road. The bay window may be a clue, being of stone, not wood, and it has the curved tops to the windows. Also the house is built of stone, not bricks. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.View attachment 76313
What is nice about that photo is the iron railings that were all cut down during the war.

Not a Blades related thread, but this was the most appropriate one I could find. Some years ago I bought a load of glass negatives at a Sheffield auction. These appeared to be from the Edwardian era (around 1900 - 1910). They are all family shots, including weddings, but I've not been able to trace the people on the photos. Here's one which might give a clue. Can anyone recognise this house (or street)? I'm not even sure that it is in Sheffield, but it could well be. It's a terraced house on a steeply sloping road. The bay window may be a clue, being of stone, not wood, and it has the curved tops to the windows. Also the house is built of stone, not bricks. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.View attachment 76313

I'll guess at Gatefield Road (just off Abbeydale Road).

I'll guess at Gatefield Road (just off Abbeydale Road).
That's an interesting guess bornablade. I was born and lived on Gatefield Road until I got married.
I don't think its Gatefield Rd - the front walls seem too low. But I'm intrigued why you chose it.

Well, my immediate thought was Bates Street at Walkley, because it’s steep & I know where Bates Street is as my Aunty Laura & Uncle Arthur lived on there for years.
Could be any steep terraced street though, I suppose.

Back
Top Bottom