Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Some Wards memories in me study. Just got to find a bit more wall space for the others.

The vinyl collection takes up a bit of space nowadays and has gone mental since me mid life crisis. Can’t get enough of the records I should’ve bought when they were new...

Anyone else progressing back to 1985 in their own little spaces?? You know old beer stuff, vinyl, music, wardrobe, books and none of it past 1992?

View attachment 75986View attachment 75987
View attachment 75982View attachment 75983View attachment 75984View attachment 75985
That’s a truly magnificent collection, one to be proud of. All I’ve got is a selection of Wards beers mats and a bar towel.
You must have a very understanding wife.

That's a great question SB. I'd forgotten all about that. You may well have shown this pic before and I can't remember the occasion, but it shows the newer tunnel. Maybe it was because of the revamp of the posh folks seats and facilities. I seem to remember more "executive" stuff was added but Im not sure if it matches the timescales you mentioned. Interesting...View attachment 75976
Is the photo woodys testimonial v Wednesday.

I don't think from this comment Bert that very much of this has passed your lips. Most of it isn't £6 a pint. Some of it is weird and odd ( not very much I'd say, but some). Depends on what you like. I like that there's more to beer now than when I was a lad, when in this area we had such a wide choice of....Tetley's, Wards, Stones, Whitbread Trophy (yuk), er........I think that's your lot. Good old days?

As you say , Whitbread Trophy was truly foul . However , before that came along , the brewery they took over in Sheffield produced some very decent beers and that was the Tennants Exchange Brewery on Bridge Street .

As I recall there were 4 which were Amber , Rock , Best Bitter and Queens . The latter was the most expensive at just over a shilling a pint (5 and 1/2 p) and it was a superb very pale but strong ale .

Four of those down your neck on a Friday night at the Royal Oak in Chapeltown were quite enough to convince you you could pull any girl in the world before you went to the dance at the nearby Newton Hall .

Good old days indeed .

Not one of Bert's best away days.
But the Football League Review was a good one and somethings never change with our beloved neighbours. View attachment 75824View attachment 75825View attachment 75826
Football League review, came free with the match day programme. For some funny reason remember one copy going round school must be 67/68ish which showed a certain player called Eamon Dunphy of Blackburn Rovers sat on the front row and you could see his Bell end piking out of his shorts. (No idea why his name and picture sticks in my mind ). Use to give all the girls a reyt giggle.

Happy birthday Bert (forgot to say).
Cocktails - Evil Eye in York, Alchemist in Chester. Very different places but excellent and original cocktails. Take it from the bearded craft beer drinker with the tattoo!😉

You don't have to go all the way to Chester for an Alchemist cocktail bar. There's one in Leeds, next door to the railway station (and one in Manchester). They do a big range of cocktails with a strong emphasis on the visuals. So, it's not unusual to go in there and see someone supping a concoction that looks like it has just been made in Dr Jekyll's lab. I do quite like the Alchemist, but it's always heaving busy and you can end up waiting quite a bit to get served, even though the guys are adept at serving 3 people at once!

I used to enjoy a cocktail in Brown's in the Peace Gardens until recently. For some reason it's shut down - like a lot of things in Sheffield city centre, nail bars, charity shops and coffee shops excepted.

The lads at the Broadfield pub used to make a decent cocktail as well.

You don't have to go all the way to Chester for an Alchemist cocktail bar. There's one in Leeds, next door to the railway station (and one in Manchester). They do a big range of cocktails with a strong emphasis on the visuals. So, it's not unusual to go in there and see someone supping a concoction that looks like it has just been made in Dr Jekyll's lab. I do quite like the Alchemist, but it's always heaving busy and you can end up waiting quite a bit to get served, even though the guys are adept at serving 3 people at once!

I used to enjoy a cocktail in Brown's in the Peace Gardens until recently. For some reason it's shut down - like a lot of things in Sheffield city centre, nail bars, charity shops and coffee shops excepted.

Browns was closed for a refurb. Back reopen now (well, was, of course).

Public and Picture House Social both excellent for cocktails. The former having won numerous national awards.

But let’s go back to slagging the city off.

Browns was closed for a refurb. Back reopen now (well, was, of course).

Public and Picture House Social both excellent for cocktails. The former having won numerous national awards.

But let’s go back to slagging the city off.

What a strange take on what I posted! :oops:

I didn't know Brown's was only closed for a refurb. There was no indication of that when we went there a few months ago. No signs in the window or anything like that. That's good news then! Delighted to hear it! 👍

I've not tried Public, I'm grateful for that recommendation - it sounds good. I'm familiar with the Picture House Social and have been there many times.

I walked along Pinstone Street the other day and down Fargate. Nearly every other shop on Pinstone has shut down. At one end, next to Barclay's bank, there's a scruffy looking cafe. You go down Fargate and it's a similar picture, phone shops, nail bars, charity shops. Now, the reason I mention that is NOT to "slag the city off", it's because I care actually, and I hate to see it. I've grown up in this city and been here for most of my life. I remember when it was a hive of activity, when had several huge department stores in the centre, Schofields, Robert Brothers, Walsh;s, Cole Brothers, Paulden's, Atkinsons. I remember when Fargate was absolutely buzzing with life, same with Pinstone Street, and I think it's just terrible seeing it as it is. I don't think that by pointing it out I'm slagging the city off at all. But, if you want to take it that way, then go ahead! :rolleyes:

Cheers CB. I knew there was one in Leeds and Manchester but haven't been to those. We had a short break in Chester this time last year (happy memories!), and went to the Alchemist 3 times. Bank account just about recovered, though had a great time! Will give the Leeds one a go when things are back to "normal "!!

Struggling with the first photo. Possibly Broad Street with Granelli's ice cream place behind the end wall on the right?
My first thought also but what's the pub on the left and also thought the flats on the grass were built then, opposite the Durham ox?

Cheers CB. I knew there was one in Leeds and Manchester but haven't been to those. We had a short break in Chester this time last year (happy memories!), and went to the Alchemist 3 times. Bank account just about recovered, though had a great time! Will give the Leeds one a go when things are back to "normal "!!

There's 2 in Manchester, apparently. I've only been to the one in the Spinningfields area, but there's another one nearer to Piccadilly station.

My first thought also but what's the pub on the left and also thought the flats on the grass were built then, opposite the Durham ox?
I struggled to remember that pub also. I since checked on an old map and it could be the Ball Inn., maybe. On that grass you can see on the left of Broad St, new flats have been built recently.

This is from the Sheffield History site - old map from 1890 . Acknowledgements to "Edmund".Screenshot_20200405-102900_Samsung Internet.jpg

On the other side of the road was Ye Old Harrow which was run by a lad I went to school with called Terry McNamara. He also ran the Princess Royal at Woodhouse and lastly the Belle Vue in Filey. He died sadly eight or nine years ago from cancer.

On the other side of the road was Ye Old Harrow which was run by a lad I went to school with called Terry McNamara. He also ran the Princess Royal at Woodhouse and lastly the Belle Vue in Filey. He died sadly eight or nine years ago from cancer.
Great pub the Old Harrow. Used to do a crawl through Hyde Park and Park Hill then to New Inn, Durham Ox, Ball, Harrow and then to the Norfolk.

Struggling with the first photo. Possibly Broad Street with Granelli's ice cream place behind the end wall on the right?
Pub across the road is the Ball. Photo probably taken from site of Granellis. ( anyone remember Peter G ?). and a little further up was The Durham Ox. Think Violet Mays was situated there.

Forgot to add the details - press the Reveal button
Blades v Derby, 01 Jan 1949. Cockroft about to clear the ball.
Blades won 3-1 (Warhurst, Jones, Hagan)
I remember my Wendy supporting uncle telling me that he was surprised that we bought 37 year old Joe Cockroft from Wendy as we were battling against relegation during the 1948-49 season. He was "over the hill" and Blades fans didnt take him well especially when he missed a penalty in a vital match. We got relegated at the end of the season.

Back
Top Bottom