Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

All taken November 1984
First, below Leopold St/Orchard St

View attachment 75872

Below, Orchard Place off Orchard St. I vaguely remember going with mum when I was youngster to the building down at the end on the right. It was some sort of medical testing clinic.
View attachment 75874

Below, the entrance alley off Fargate which led to the rear of these buildings. The line of this alley is now roughly the main entrance to Orchard Square.

View attachment 75876

Finally below, the rear of the shops on Leopold St. It's reasonably understandable why they were demolished.

View attachment 75878
I have very very vague memories of the old vaccination clinic on Orchard Street, early 60's. Polio vaccine on a sugar cube. "Boosters", which was also the name of an ice lolly at the time. "We're going to get you a booster" was either a nice or very unpleasant experience !

Ward's seemed to divide people around here, with some loving it and others hating it - a bit like the supposed "marmite" divide.

My recollection of it was that it had a rather strong odour, which was a bit off-putting, but it was quite a rich, malty beer, in stark contrast to the straw-coloured, pale, hoppy, Stones beer, also made in this city. I worked with a guy who lived at Stannington in the 1970's. One of the local pubs there (long since closed) was a Ward's house and he absolutely swore by it. The only Wards pub I remember going in fairly regularly, would be the Phoenix at Ridgeway, before it was done up. Our Sunday football team used to play at Thornbridge School, on them pitches near to the Old Harrow. After footy we'd all head off to the Phoenix, which was just a small, white-washed, 2 room cottage back then, and sup some Wards. I always remember it being a good pint in there, but that may be because I was especially thirsty after running my socks off for 90 minutes.
I've commented on Wards before. Used to drink it as a young lad in the Blue Stoops, Dronfield. You're right about the smell - beery puke is probably the best description. If you could get beyond this, and the flecky brown bits in the head (not just in the Stoops, it was like that everywhere), it actually tasted ok and was quite distinctive, unlike a lot of the gassy crap we used to drink then. I have slagged it off, but on reflection (doing a lot of that lately!), it was ok because it was different and unique. I quite liked it's sister beer Darley's from Thorne, and Vaux Samson wasn't bad either. But if I'm honest, I do prefer "modern" craft beer now - it's one of the few ways that I'm a modern person and not a totally grouchy old twat!

I've commented on Wards before. Used to drink it as a young lad in the Blue Stoops, Dronfield. You're right about the smell - beery puke is probably the best description. If you could get beyond this, and the flecky brown bits in the head (not just in the Stoops, it was like that everywhere), it actually tasted ok and was quite distinctive, unlike a lot of the gassy crap we used to drink then. I have slagged it off, but on reflection (doing a lot of that lately!), it was ok because it was different and unique. I quite liked it's sister beer Darley's from Thorne, and Vaux Samson wasn't bad either. But if I'm honest, I do prefer "modern" craft beer now - it's one of the few ways that I'm a modern person and not a totally grouchy old twat!
Modern craft beer?
Take 8 sacks of hops, add a bit of water and yeast, stir and serve without a head on at six quid a pint.

The Guernsey Road area, April 1983.
Between the junction of Queens Road/London Road and the railway tracks. I know many Blades fans park up there (or used to :() on match days. A couple of decades ago there was Comet (now derelict) B&Q, ( now a gym?, previously Dunhelm Mills) and Halfords (still there).
This first one below, with my back to London Road, is Sark Road, leading to Guernsey Road round the corner on the left.
View attachment 74963
A shot of Guernsey Road below: Just to the right of that green gate is Cutler's Walk which many will know still leads under the railway, across the river up to the Heeley pubs for pre and post match pints. (Cutler's walk photos to follow in another post....)
View attachment 74966
Another shot below on Guernsey Road, back nearer to Sark road, taken from what is now an opticians/previously golf shop??
View attachment 74967

I was born and raised in Guernsey Road (number 54) before our family moved to Australia in 1964. I was 15 back then and a keen Blades supporter and it was the only regret I had about going down under that I've only seen them play live once since then. That was on August 16 2008 - Blades 3 QPR 0 with Billy Sharp scoring a hat trick and the icing on the cake it was that it was my 60th birthday on the day.

I last visited the street back in 2001 and hardly recognised the place - the area had been totally demolished and I found the whole area depressing.

Modern craft beer?
Take 8 sacks of hops, add a bit of water and yeast, stir and serve without a head on at six quid a pint.

Yes but they can't be any old hops and certainly not the traditional Kentish ones that have served us so well for centuries. They have to be 'New World' hops packed full of floral notes and zesty citrus flavours, ugly fruit, strawberries, ice cream, chilli, doughnuts and parsnips.

Furthermore, if your method doesn't make the beer cloudy enough, you may need to add lashings of flour, red cedar sawdust etc etc.

"Six quid you say? Three pints please barman"

With the Pig & Whistle sign.
Yes. Never noticed that before :). I think the shop in the corner was real though. I used to work with a lady called Cynthia Di Nitto and it was her (ex)husband's shop. If I remember rightly his main business was in Eckington.

This is an interesting one, Labour in Vain isn't intrinsically racist, but the pictorial interpretation of the name could be seen that way.

Very busy pub as it was the nearest pub to BT's Training residential centre at Yarnfield Park (known as Stone for years).

November 1986. Vicar Lane/Campo Lane.

View attachment 75935

Below, March 1985. Ellin Street nr St Mary's roundabout. Where Staples? and others subsequently were.

View attachment 75937

Mr Exhaust my trusted tyre supplier since the 80s and now on Harwood St just off Bramall Lane. Mainly run by Wendys but they aren't daft so they try not to show it.
The Boots babywear shop and Staples that occupied the new toy town units, didn't last that long in any event.

Sort of old, sort of new photo.....
Just installed my original South Stand seat (number 144) in the garden.
I can now sit & imagine all the sights & sounds that people will have seen having sat where I’m sitting now.......
My first game was at home v Burnley and as far as I can remember, it was the season the South Stand opened. My old man took me, we sat in the new stand & I was hooked.
He was a Wednesday fan but I’ll not hold it against him.....
m.C11A346D-2228-440D-A02D-18F73053FF32.jpeg

All taken November 1984
First, below Leopold St/Orchard St

View attachment 75872

Below, Orchard Place off Orchard St. I vaguely remember going with mum when I was youngster to the building down at the end on the right. It was some sort of medical testing clinic.
View attachment 75874

Below, the entrance alley off Fargate which led to the rear of these buildings. The line of this alley is now roughly the main entrance to Orchard Square.

View attachment 75876

Finally below, the rear of the shops on Leopold St. It's reasonably understandable why they were demolished.

View attachment 75878
Fagins lair could be in there somewhere.

Modern craft beer?
Rip off, usually some contrived stupid name and a load of CAMRA geeks having orgasms over it. Can't beat the old malts like Wards.

Yes but they can't be any old hops and certainly not the traditional Kentish ones that have served us so well for centuries. They have to be 'New World' hops packed full of floral notes and zesty citrus flavours, ugly fruit, strawberries, ice cream, chilli, doughnuts and parsnips.

Furthermore, if your method doesn't make the beer cloudy enough, you may need to add lashings of flour, red cedar sawdust etc etc.

"Six quid you say? Three pints please barman"
Must admit I love the steam breweries on the west coast of the States, especially Portland, Seattle and Eureka. Some excellent wheat fruit oxford beers. Head blowers as well.

Sort of old, sort of new photo.....
Just installed my original South Stand seat (number 144) in the garden.
I can now sit & imagine all the sights & sounds that people will have seen having sat where I’m sitting now.......
My first game was at home v Burnley and as far as I can remember, it was the season the South Stand opened. My old man took me, we sat in the new stand & I was hooked.
He was a Wednesday fan but I’ll not hold it against him.....
m.View attachment 75950
never realised they were moulded to the shape of an arse.

Back
Top Bottom