Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

THe Ball Inn is up for sale ,if I won the Lottery I would buy it. Cant we have an s24su whip round ?

See the source image
My early football skills honed on the grass seen across from Ball.

I used to collect most autographs up at the Ball Inn training ground.
We used to go up there in school holidays to watch the team train.
Myrtle Road was a killer. Reg Matthewson on one occasion gave us a lift up.
All footballers seemed to have the little football boots hanging from their rear view mirror. This was more 1960's.

I've not been up to Ball Inn for years. Looking at that photo of the pub - are there houses on the training ground now?

The father of a kid in my class at school was the groundsman at the Ball inn. Name of Vickers.

Another name from that era - Barry Gordine (goalie) was a guest at the Norwich match
Phillip & Michael Vickers were the sons of Horace, who was a rotweiller of a groundsman to us local lads who only wanted a kickabout behind the net.
Bit of an arse at times...

Anyway here's another one with more detail and a question....Cherry street July 1983. The black shed on the left is the infamous Winter Shed already talked about on this thread. About 10 years after this photo was taken, I risked life and limb playing 5-a-side for a year or two in there. The "playing" surface was a bargain roll-end green offcut from Mike's Carpets, expertly laid except for all the joints, which curled wickedly up, ready to snag the unwary.
The ball often ended up on the gallery. The strong or foolhardy could scrabble up from pitch to retrieve it. The strong just clambered back down. The foolhardy were off work for a week with a twisted ankle and grazes.
The caretaker, Vic, never came out of his little office/shed thingy up at the end of the gallery.
After the match and a trickle cold shower in the adjoining portakabin, I hobbled round to pay him.
He never looked up from his Sun newspaper...
And the question..... the house/lodge in the centre of the photo. ....what was its purpose?? I guess it was some kind of caretakers house. For the stadium? The pavilion?

View attachment 73783
What a great picture. I remember going past that house many times when I went to my friend's who lived on Cherry Street.

And here’s a very rare photo that not many will have ever seen. Bottom of Dixon Lane with the front door shut :)

View attachment 73873

I like the 'front door shut' thing .

You obviously know , as I do , that this didn't mean they weren't doing business . I had a friend who had a business in the wholesale market who would regularly turn up there at around 9 in the morning after trading had finished , take part in a 4 hour crib school whilst downing 6 pints then drive home to Derbyshire to sleep it off .

Them were't'days . :)

And here’s a very rare photo that not many will have ever seen. Bottom of Dixon Lane with the front door shut :)

View attachment 73873
What a good photo, don't know the date but I would say after 1959. My early life was tied up with the old market hall, through family, till it was closed and obviously Dixson Lane figures strongly in memories.
Your remark about the Norfolk's door being closed reminded me that it's licencing was historically tie to the markets, enabling market workers to obtain refreshment. I don't know the details of the opening hours and also did they extend to the Rock Inn also?

Concourse catering and hospitality. John St stand April 91. Scaldingly hot bovril in a flimsy plastic cup and, for some, a crafty fag on the stairs. Then the pleasures of the gents.View attachment 73947View attachment 73948View attachment 73949
Those brought back so many great memories!

When I first went to the Lane those steps were all worn away. Guessing they’d have been fixed up after Bradford when all the exits at the front of the stand were put in.

A unique smell that those photos evoke. Bovril, pies, fags and piss!

Concourse catering and hospitality. John St stand April 91. Scaldingly hot bovril in a flimsy plastic cup and, for some, a crafty fag on the stairs. Then the pleasures of the gents.View attachment 73947View attachment 73948View attachment 73949
Memories Eh!!!
In't it posh. Remember when there was no decoration, dust on every surface that couldn't be touched by passing supporters, no under drawing of the terracing and precious little lighting both natural or generated. A young lad could get lost and did when going for a pee at cricket matches. Although I started my association with BDTBL in JSS, W Wing, at reserve games the greatest of my time was on The Terrace just W of the players tunnel where to get in one passed under JSS passing the home dressing room with occasional views of players pre match.
Tremendous photos, extremely evocative to we who used this stand, thank you again for sharing.

Those brought back so many great memories!

When I first went to the Lane those steps were all worn away. Guessing they’d have been fixed up after Bradford when all the exits at the front of the stand were put in.

A unique smell that those photos evoke. Bovril, pies, fags and piss!
CC, your last four nouns sum up the the experience so succinctly and brilliantly - probably from the day it was built too!

View attachment 73873
Great photos ST, thanks. But that last of the pub at the bottom of Duke St gave me the creeps. In the early/mid 60's I was a wet-behind-the-ears 14 year old lad from Abbeydale, having no idea of the area. One late afternoon, I was on my way back from visiting my mate up at Hyde Park and, as I walked passed that pub, a man standing outside asked if I could do him a favour. He said he had a mate inside who he wanted to speak to but that he daren't go in in case some other guys "who he had a bit of bother with" were in. Would I go in and give his mate a message? He'd give me "a couple of fags". Sounds cool and grown up, I thought.
He gave me a description and muggins here had a wander inside. No-one matched.
So he strolled with me back towards Pond St, offering me a Woodbine or two. It started raining so we had to shelter in one of those alcoves opposite where the digital campus now is.
More woodbines and then -you've probably already guessed, although I didn't see it coming -a grope of my arse. I instinctively twatted him, nicked the rest of his fags and ran.
Moral: Don't smoke, especially Woodbine plain, or go out without a raincoat. Or both.

Great photos ST, thanks. But that last of the pub at the bottom of Duke St gave me the creeps. In the early/mid 60's I was a wet-behind-the-ears 14 year old lad from Abbeydale, having no idea of the area. One late afternoon, I was on my way back from visiting my mate up at Hyde Park and, as I walked passed that pub, a man standing outside asked if I could do him a favour. He said he had a mate inside who he wanted to speak to but that he daren't go in in case some other guys "who he had a bit of bother with" were in. Would I go in and give his mate a message? He'd give me "a couple of fags". Sounds cool and grown up, I thought.
He gave me a description and muggins here had a wander inside. No-one matched.
So he strolled with me back towards Pond St, offering me a Woodbine or two. It started raining so we had to shelter in one of those alcoves opposite where the digital campus now is.
More woodbines and then -you've probably already guessed, although I didn't see it coming -a grope of my arse. I instinctively twatted him, nicked the rest of his fags and ran.
Moral: Don't smoke, especially Woodbine plain, or go out without a raincoat. Or both.

That pub is the Norfolk Arms on Dixon Lane. There was a pub at the bottom of Duke Street, on the left going up, Ye Old English Samson.

One or two people have said they cannot remember the little house in Andingmen's post #14815. I'm amongst them, but you can clearly see the same house in the far left of this photo. Maybe it was because the pavilion itself was such an imposing building that the little house became a bit lost. Strange how the mind plays tricks on you.

One or two people have said they cannot remember the little house in Andingmen's post #14815. I'm amongst them, but you can clearly see the same house in the far left of this photo. Maybe it was because the pavilion itself was such an imposing building that the little house became a bit lost. Strange how the mind plays tricks on you.
Yes, it is strange indeed. I've still been puzzling over it since. This may have been shown before but here's part of a map from the NLS site, which seems to show the house in relative isolation, just above the "ER" in Cherry Street.
The map is from somewhere between the dates 1891-1913, I think. However, I'm still no wiser about its function.20200317_080537.jpg

Back
Top Bottom