Stadium and facilities redevelopment post KMC

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

They'd lose me then.

There's absolutely no way I'm setting foot in that stadium.

In theory my ideas seems fine but in practice I agree loads of fans would refuse to watch us play at Hillsboro, it would be a disaster.

In theory receiving a temporary stadium ban seems fine but in practice if I was banned from Bramall Lane for 2 years (due to capacity being only 22K)
then I’d find other interests and probably never return.....I’d just watch us on tv.

So the only way to re-build the Kop/improve the Lane is by banning fans for 2 years? There are no feasible alternatives at all? What about:

• Playing away from the lane for a season?
  • Play away the last few matches of one season and the first few matches of the next?
  • Utilise the space behind the Kop and South Stands to start construction without effecting the current stands? It would help to move both stands towards the corner of Cherry Street and Shoreham Street to give extra room to expand John Street and Lane End.
  • Look to expand John Street first, purchase houses and businesses to give us extra room?
  • Turn the pitch 90 degrees and build a new stadium? Part of the construction can be completed without touching the current stands.

The priority should be what is best for the club long term, not what's cheapest and easiest right now. There is no rush to start building now, let's wait and get it right, even if that takes 5, 10 or even 15 years.

Some radical but decent alternatives there......not sure some would work but they are feasible options.
Agree....think the club will wait at least 2 or 3 years before making any decision....there should be big developments regards safe standing by then.

87 tickets left against Brighton with 5 days left to game. Neeeed much bigger capacity because things will only get better. For once gave the feeling the club is being run correctly. Plus impressed by Mr Bettis.

Seems fairer but then instead of 11,000 Blades being effected missing 100% of home games
your suggestion is that all 28,000 Blades miss about 40% of home games.

Isn’t the capacity of the Kop 10,200? How many of those are STHs? And how many of those haven’t missed a game in 30 years would you guess?

Incidentally, were we to switch to safe standing across the whole Kop in the future there will probably be plenty of prefer-to-sit types that will be angry by that change. People that may have been sitting down at games at the Lane for 30 years too.

How many of those are STHs? And how many of those haven’t missed a game in 30 years would you guess?

I sit bang in the centre and I'd say that around me there are still 75% of the people who bought STs when it went all seated in 1991. Family groups have changed and seats swapped around, but in the main, it is the same old faces.

I'd suggest less so in the wings as people in poorer seats would have tried to migrate to better ones, but I'd guess getting on for 50% of the Kop are long term ST holders.

Somebody from council planning is observing all these comments as we type them, adds this thread to his favourites, kisses the owl on his shirt and mutters, 'don't worry my pet, they can want all they like but they won't get any plans through...'

Meanwhile sat on the edge of a cloud above, the Cricketing Gods laugh their cocks off with the comments that there are no UXB's and that the rebuild could be done in 12 months....

Somebody from council planning is observing all these comments as we type them, adds this thread to his favourites, kisses the owl on his shirt and mutters, 'don't worry my pet, they can want all they like but they won't get any plans through...'
Lol. The plans have only been approved about 6 or 7 years. Don't let the tin foil chafe your ears when you take your hat off.

What about:
  • Utilise the space behind the Kop and South Stands to start construction without effecting the current stands? It would help to move both stands towards the corner of Cherry Street and Shoreham Street to give extra room to expand John Street and Lane End.
  • Look to expand John Street first, purchase houses and businesses to give us extra room?
  • Turn the pitch 90 degrees and build a new stadium? Part of the construction can be completed without touching the current stands.
Christ on a bike! I swear some folk on here think The Sims is real life.

Has any serious fan struggled to get a ticket this season? I can't commit to a season ticket and didn't want to pay for a membership but I've still found it easy to get to any game I've been able to attend. Until that starts to change I don't see the point in expanding the capacity, the last thing I want is for BDTBL to turn into the Stadium of Light or Reebok etc. where it will always look part empty for the vast majority of games

Has any serious fan struggled to get a ticket this season? I can't commit to a season ticket and didn't want to pay for a membership but I've still found it easy to get to any game I've been able to attend. Until that starts to change I don't see the point in expanding the capacity, the last thing I want is for BDTBL to turn into the Stadium of Light or Reebok etc. where it will always look part empty for the vast majority of games

It doesn't always work like that, though. I bet a lot of people don't even bother trying, because they assume that it'll be hard to get tickets. That's true for lots of types of fans, including part-timers, students, tourists and (whisper it quietly...) fans of other local teams to whom it is dawning that the future is red and white.

Build it, and they will come, etc.

The last hime match, Bournemouth was sold out for home fans.....and now the Brighton match is also sold out.

It doesn't always work like that, though. I bet a lot of people don't even bother trying, because they assume that it'll be hard to get tickets. That's true for lots of types of fans, including part-timers, students, tourists and (whisper it quietly...) fans of other local teams to whom it is dawning that the future is red and white.

you said it for me.

The potential crowds to watch United playing Premier League or even European football are far greater than the crowds we have now. Yes, I know they wouldn't be the hard core United supporters, but this is a big, big business. When I left Man City's ground the other week after our game and queued for the Metro back into Manchester I was struck by how many foreign accents there were. In fact, and I don't exaggerate, I think the majority of folks around me sounded like foreigners. There's a whole new audience out there for us to attract and we could be looking an average home crowd of nearer to 50k rather than 30k in a few years time if we continue to compete at the highest level and..."market the club successfully" to attract these supporters.

So the only way to re-build the Kop/improve the Lane is by banning fans for 2 years? There are no feasible alternatives at all? What about:

• Playing away from the lane for a season?
  • Play away the last few matches of one season and the first few matches of the next?

The priority should be what is best for the club long term, not what's cheapest and easiest right now. There is no rush to start building now, let's wait and get it right, even if that takes 5, 10 or even 15 years.
Redevelop the South Stand first - extra 4,000 seats or so to mitigate the loss of the Kop - no need to lose any seats in the SS whilst work is ongoing. Anything which could impact seats near to the back from H&S perspective could be done out of season. Plus the potential revenue streams available from doing the South Stand makes it a better investment at this point in time.

you said it for me.

The potential crowds to watch United playing Premier League or even European football are far greater than the crowds we have now. Yes, I know they wouldn't be the hard core United supporters, but this is a big, big business. When I left Man City's ground the other week after our game and queued for the Metro back into Manchester I was struck by how many foreign accents there were. In fact, and I don't exaggerate, I think the majority of folks around me sounded like foreigners. There's a whole new audience out there for us to attract and we could be looking an average home crowd of nearer to 50k rather than 30k in a few years time if we continue to compete at the highest level and..."market the club successfully" to attract these supporters.
Some of those Mancunian accents from places like Harpuhey sound foreign tbf.

You have self nominated for the "No ambishun group" for using facts and common sense in this discussion. Welcome fellow Blade.

Possibly yes. However, as always, where's the money coming from and how do we solve any capacity issue whilst work is ongoing?

Possibly yes. However, as always, where's the money coming from and how do we solve any capacity issue whilst work is ongoing?

I'm just an ideas guy. I'll leave the boring practical stuff to someone else to sort out :p

Although, off the top of my head: The money will come from Champions League TV rights and, for the short-term capacity issues, we only allow in those fans who didn't moan when Lundstram started at Bournemouth on the first day of the season.

They would be better removing the old Kop that still sits underneath, yes there are hunderds of tonnes but that way the club could earn money from offices, function rooms, commercial spaces etc all year rather than 20-30 times a year that could occupy the space, chance of a limetime to make the ground what it should be. Even taking out the pillars and enclosing the back would cost millions, do it properly even if we have to wait a few years
That makes no sense.

We have limited availability for home fans and you‘re suggesting we increase the Kop by 3.500 as planned
but then give away fans an extra 3.500 in the away end end. That means there’s no increase for home fans.

Now I’m not up on Chinese health and safety or regulatory requirements in the building industry mbut if China can build a 9 million capacity hospital in 73 and a half hours why can we build a kop in that time !

Great, we could fold it up on the back of a lorry and take it to away games with us.

Somebody would still moan about not getting a ticket because there was a four year old there.......

On a less serious note, it'd need a fire certificate...

This season's STs were sold at Championship prices before we got promoted - just watch the sales dive once the Club tries a price increase for next season. One thing McCabe was correct on is the notorious price-elasticity of Blades fans , which is why he kept prices low. Add to that the "second season" syndrome , when all the excitement of promotion has dissipated , and the Club will not be daft enough to sanction money for ground extensions , particularly when so much is needed to bring our wage bill up to Prem levels. Not forgetting the need to bung Kevin about £50m to buy the existing ground etc off him. And build a better training facility. Ground extensions are miles down the priority list.

Redevelop the South Stand first - extra 4,000 seats or so to mitigate the loss of the Kop - no need to lose any seats in the SS whilst work is ongoing. Anything which could impact seats near to the back from H&S perspective could be done out of season. Plus the potential revenue streams available from doing the South Stand makes it a better investment at this point in time.

Which would help with the Kop, but the other problem is that the Lane End and John Street aren't exactly new either. So I think anything we do with the Lane should have in mind the potential to rebuild all 4 stands.

Has any serious fan struggled to get a ticket this season?
I wanted a season ticket but wasn't able to get one. A paid-in-advance. season ticket would have served to get me off my arse and down to the Lane, where as without one, I'm just content to save my 35-40 quid and the 78 mile round trip and associated costs, and watch the games from the comfort of my settee.

I'm sure I'm not the only one in that situation.

The business case for doing the South seems to make a lot more sense imo. More corporate boxes, higher general admission ticket prices and access to the land underneath - which is all in the original plan. As well as that, you can keep the stand open whilst it's built and have more seats available to supporters if the club ever gets round to a complete rebuild of the Kop.
If the Kop ever gets done I'd like them to do it properly.The Kop is no longer the Kop if they follow the current plan and turn it into a two tier job. The land underneath is also wasted indefinitely.

Back
Top Bottom