Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

He'd be priceless, the greatest British goalscorer that ever lived or ever will live.

If ever a sportsman ever deserved an honour, knighthood etc it's him. But the bastards ignore him and instead give them to the likes of Trevor Brooking.
It will be too late soon.
couldn't agree more

I lived on bannerdale ,they filmed the allotment bits behind our house ,sadly there wasn't much call for 13 year old lads in dockers on the allotment ,missed my calling :rolleyes:
they did a bit of filming on Ecclesall Road and the 'Mystery Tour' went from the works - Chesterman's on Pomona Street to the Lion, The Pomona and The Rising Sun

brilliant comedy
I think so too. I remember listening to the series of Uncle Mort, back in the 1980's while driving along in my car. It used to make long journeys fly by. It's not just the humour though, but the quality of his descriptive writing is exceptional. He has a beautiful and humorous way of describing things:

Describing a view of the city as dusk fell and as its lights shimmered in the distance, he wrote..

"the city twitched beneath the fat green thighs of the nearby hills" :D

Tinniswood spent some time in Sheffield and used to write for the The Star. That must have been back in the days when they had high standards! Very high standards!

The humour is very "Northern", often sardonic and takes unexpected twists.

There's the scene where Uncle Mort is at the graveside, burying his dearly departed wife. The vicar hands him a trowel to scoop the first bit of topsoil on top of the coffin laying in the grave. (As was the tradition). He hesitates for a moment, looks down sadly and rubs the soil from his trowel through his fingers whilst his mind seems far away. A family friend approaches him and touches him gently on the shoulder to offer support. "Are you alright?" - she asks, thinking the task is too much for him. He responds, "yeah, I was just thinking what a champion set of onions you could get from this topsoil". :D

In one of his books he describes a family member who used to keep chickens, but had to give it up because they were getting on his chest. His friend asks, "oh, do you mean bird flu?" and he says, "no, I mean they used to come in through the window when he was asleep on the settee and peck at his singlet". :D

Oh well, I think he's great anyhow! Or was. He died a few years ago of throat cancer apparently - a life-long pipe smoker.

Are we allowed to post "old videos for no reason whatsoever" in here? If so then you might find this interesting? There are some old photo's of Sheffield right at the end of it. A sort of, "Then and Now" comparison. Although this must be an old video of the "now" as it's also become "then", now, if you see what I mean?

The things that stand out for me is how smartly dressed everyone is and how dirty and gloomy, yet somehow wonderful, Sheffield looks. There's a sense of energy and purpose about it and the place is buzzing. Suits, ties, hats, were the order of the day for gentlemen and ladies wore beautiful long dresses and hats too. No one is walking around staring into a mobile phone, texting, or wearing headphones and listening to loud music.

If you've got 8 minutes to spare, it's worth gazing into the screen and allowing yourself to imagine that you are on one of these trams, going through the streets of old Sheffield. I think it's quite wonderful personally and I asked myself, as I look at this, "have we really improved our city?"

Are we allowed to post "old videos for no reason whatsoever" in here? If so then you might find this interesting? There are some old photo's of Sheffield right at the end of it. A sort of, "Then and Now" comparison. Although this must be an old video of the "now" as it's also become "then", now, if you see what I mean?

The things that stand out for me is how smartly dressed everyone is and how dirty and gloomy, yet somehow wonderful, Sheffield looks. There's a sense of energy and purpose about it and the place is buzzing. Suits, ties, hats, were the order of the day for gentlemen and ladies wore beautiful long dresses and hats too. No one is walking around staring into a mobile phone, texting, or wearing headphones and listening to loud music.

If you've got 8 minutes to spare, it's worth gazing into the screen and allowing yourself to imagine that you are on one of these trams, going through the streets of old Sheffield. I think it's quite wonderful personally and I asked myself, as I look at this, "have we really improved our city?"

Probably the most peaceful 8 minutes I’ll get today. Thanks for that

I think so too. I remember listening to the series of Uncle Mort, back in the 1980's while driving along in my car. It used to make long journeys fly by. It's not just the humour though, but the quality of his descriptive writing is exceptional. He has a beautiful and humorous way of describing things:

Describing a view of the city as dusk fell and as its lights shimmered in the distance, he wrote..

"the city twitched beneath the fat green thighs of the nearby hills" :D

Tinniswood spent some time in Sheffield and used to write for the The Star. That must have been back in the days when they had high standards! Very high standards!

The humour is very "Northern", often sardonic and takes unexpected twists.

There's the scene where Uncle Mort is at the graveside, burying his dearly departed wife. The vicar hands him a trowel to scoop the first bit of topsoil on top of the coffin laying in the grave. (As was the tradition). He hesitates for a moment, looks down sadly and rubs the soil from his trowel through his fingers whilst his mind seems far away. A family friend approaches him and touches him gently on the shoulder to offer support. "Are you alright?" - she asks, thinking the task is too much for him. He responds, "yeah, I was just thinking what a champion set of onions you could get from this topsoil". :D

In one of his books he describes a family member who used to keep chickens, but had to give it up because they were getting on his chest. His friend asks, "oh, do you mean bird flu?" and he says, "no, I mean they used to come in through the window when he was asleep on the settee and peck at his singlet". :D

Oh well, I think he's great anyhow! Or was. He died a few years ago of throat cancer apparently - a life-long pipe smoker.
He also came up with this one - quite pertinent really.....

Carter and his wife on returning from their honeymoon in London...... Uncle Mort says “ Now then Carter lad you didn’t commit the cardinal sin whilst on your honeymoon?”

Carter very sheepishly replies “what do you mean Uncle Mort?”

Uncle Mort “ you didn’t go and see Tottenham Hotspur play did you?”

I've seen this many times before and the amount of people in town never fails to amaze me. Even when the tram is coming up from Highfield to London Road the streets are thronging. And the mantra was,"If you miss one tram there will be another coming along in 30 seconds."

I thought it was hilarious when I was a kid. Never knew it was filmed in Sheffield.
I loved it. It had a real cult following at our school. The "hero " was Carter Brandon who, if I remember correctly (it's a long time ago) was always trying to get off with Deirdre, who was very fanciable in a 70's sort of way. Uncle Mort was my hero though, and as I've got older I'm proud to have morphed into a version of him!

I loved it. It had a real cult following at our school. The "hero " was Carter Brandon who, if I remember correctly (it's a long time ago) was always trying to get off with Deirdre, who was very fanciable in a 70's sort of way. Uncle Mort was my hero though, and as I've got older I'm proud to have morphed into a version of him!

Nay, lad, nay. Deidre Costello was the name of the actress; the character was called Linda Preston. Carter had a wife called Pat who wanted to turn him into a young executive. Linda used to try to lead him astray.

I've seen this before but was great to see it again. What I thought was remarkable was actually how little it has changed in some ways. We tend to think "old Sheffield" has gone, but this shows that a lot is left. We have in some ways improved our city but in others we haven't. This is a journey through an impressive Northern industrial city centre at the height of it's power. If the same cameraman on the same day had wandered round the slums of Kelvin or Park, there may have been a lot less misty eyed nostalgia! And a lot more raggy arses and rickets!

Back
Top Bottom