Bladey degrees of separation

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I once got a call from the Structural Engineers department at the Town Hall to tell me that their 'lad' was on his way with a roll of drawings I had asked for . A few minutes later he walked in .

It was Joe Shaw . My feelings were torn between the elation of meeting the great man in the flesh for the first time and the sadness of seeing a footballing legend having to make a living as a general dogsbody at the beck and call of a bunch of nobodies .
We have good friends on Vancouver Island. We went to a party with them and it just happened to come up that I was a Blade (as it often does) and one of the women there said, I'm Joe Shaw's sister. She then sent me lots of Joe Shaw memorabilia. Lovely lady.

Used to bump into Stuart McCall every Saturday in Asda where he was shopping with his mum He always stopped for a chat.

got a couple, both from the early 90's:

Bumped into Brian Gayle in Dore Lateshopper. He bought a 4 pack of Stella & his eyes were mesmerising.

Played a match at Steve Hinchcliffe's house (on his astroturf pitch) with, amongst others, S.H. & Paul Woolhouse (not long before he did a runner).... now that was an interesting hour or so......

got another one - worked with Ian (Chico) Hamilton & his wife on an Easter playscheme in '93 & was at the time sporting a fine chestnut coloured mullet (him not me... nor his wife)

got a couple, both from the early 90's:

Bumped into Brian Gayle in Dore Lateshopper. He bought a 4 pack of Stella & his eyes were mesmerising.

Played a match at Steve Hinchcliffe's house (on his astroturf pitch) with, amongst others, S.H. & Paul Woolhouse (not long before he did a runner).... now that was an interesting hour or so......

Re: Dore & Totley, Does nearly signing David Holdsworth when I was helping to run the Sunday league team in the Dev count? We did also have ex Blade Dave Brocklehurst playing for us for a while. That, and having a Stella with Carl Asaba outside the Fleur De Lys (he lived just down the road)

Reactions: MKY
Went on the razz with a mate from Newfield School and Jeff Eckhardt, I had a rough stomach and had to go home.
If Jeff looks in on here at all I have some news about our mutual friend, PM for details.
went to school with Jeff Eckhardts sister. saw her in town on friday funnily enough

When we were last in the premier league, I used to see Paul Ilfill in the Virgin gym

I went to see vic Reeves at the city hall with Derek Dooley’s daughter (and her future husband too)

Played against Chris Wilder and John Beresford.

Went to school with Ryan France.

Neighbour used to babysit for Mitch Ward.

I went out with a girl at school who was later in a relationship with Wilder, they might have got engaged at some point too, but then split up.

I played in the same 5 a side team as George Long's brother and he used to sometimes come and see us play - really nice lad. He's also big mates with Cameron Dawson who is my mate's nephew.

My boss's son is big mates with Maguire (in fact all of the Maguire's) and my wife's niece is Joe Maguire's partner. Their kid was mascot at Leicester for the last game of the season.

I used to live next door to Adrian Littlejohn.

All very tenuous links, but all true!

43615.bin

I own those pairs of shorts worn by Michael Tonge

Don Hutchison once chatted up my cousin (female) in a pub. She didn't know who he was until someone else in the establishment told her. Wayne Quinn was apparently also there.

She declined Don's attentions and continues to despise football.

Re: Dore & Totley, Does nearly signing David Holdsworth when I was helping to run the Sunday league team in the Dev count? We did also have ex Blade Dave Brocklehurst playing for us for a while. That, and having a Stella with Carl Asaba outside the Fleur De Lys (he lived just down the road)

haha! 2 establishments that I know quite well. My ma used to work in the Fleur in the 70's/early 80's & I still pop in the Dev from time to time when i'm back in the area.

Went on the razz with a mate from Newfield School and Jeff Eckhardt, I had a rough stomach and had to go home.
If Jeff looks in on here at all I have some news about our mutual friend, PM for details.

Sorry - replied to the wrong message earlier.....so i'll say it again 'did you have a bad pint?' :D

Indeed. As I recall he was completely frozen out, though obviously we’d added Deane and Marcelo to our group that already had JAF, Taylor, Katchouro, and then Saunders later on. I personally thought he should have had more time at Wembley in ‘97 and should have replaced Katchouro (who had an appalling game).

He was the only senior player sent to a United friendly at Shepshed Dynamo in either 97 or 98. The only other recognisable name on the day was Chris Bettney, who I think partnered him up front.

LB, i was at shepshed that day, pretty sure Mitch ward played that day, think we won 2 nil if memory serves

LB, i was at shepshed that day, pretty sure Mitch ward played that day, think we won 2 nil if memory serves

We may possibly have played on consecutive years (think Russell Slade had some sort of link with Shepshed that led to the friendlies, and now I think of it there may have been one the previous season). Ward I don’t think was at the one I’m thinking of, though that’s not to say he wasn’t at another (if another happened). I just have a very vivid memory of turning up expecting a few of the first team, and Walker effectively being the only one.

We may possibly have played on consecutive years (think Russell Slade had some sort of link with Shepshed that led to the friendlies, and now I think of it there may have been one the previous season). Ward I don’t think was at the one I’m thinking of, though that’s not to say he wasn’t at another (if another happened). I just have a very vivid memory of turning up expecting a few of the first team, and Walker effectively being the only one.

i also went there expecting a handful of players much to my disapointment, remember it being a crap game aswell, typical pre season

you didnt happen to go to enderby town for a cup match involving the youth team around the same era?

Sorry - replied to the wrong message earlier.....so i'll say it again 'did you have a bad pint?' :D
Not sure maybe it was just one of those days had had a couple and it was early in the night, as you can imagine I was really disappointed with Jeff being one of our players at the time.

One of my best mates hired the girlfriend of Craig Alcock when he was playing for us.

Mr Matt prestidge and his bird live two doors away.
Also know tuftys wife Francesca and her side of the family, especially her late father Paul bless him.

Our old house got a mention in Neil warnock's autobiography in some sort of fashion. We sold the house ,and a couple of days after the sign went up some scrotes pulled the sign up and planted it in the middle of the local pond, which was one of warnock's regular haunts in his Frecheville days,he put a little bit in the book relating to how overgrown the pond had become and it even had a for sale sign stuck in the middle of it!!!!

Paddy Kenny came to my mums 50th birthday.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom