Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Big Blade in the 70s called Gibby used to be his local always in the thick of things back in the day
Which Gibby ? Chris or Dave ?
Not seen Dave in years, but Chris still about. Still attending home matches too.

I lived close to the cutlers as a lad and played for them when they were first formed, Ian was a blade, big blade and Andrew was indeed a Wendy but the oldest brother was called john, a blade but didn't go very often, my younger brother was at herdings and then gleadless valley in the same class as Ian, spent many,many a happy hour in the cutlers from around being a 16 year old , landlord Joe was Polish and was married to Pru, a fierce landlady who you didnt mess with, my mum worked around the corner at the old folks home "casterkayne". as a cleaner

Correct ed
I'm not from Herdings but spent a number of years working in the community a long time ago. I have fond memories of the area, of the local youth club, and especially the Cutlers, when run by Joe. Unlike some estate pubs, you didn't feel like you were taking your life in your hands when you went in, the same applied to the estate, which had a nice sense of community. Sadly, I hear it's not been like that for a long time now.

What year? Was it FA Cup semi final day? Man U fans in 1976?

If it was, I was there among around 20k ticketless Man. U fans. They'd created havoc all afternoon (when teams like Man. U., Liverpool etc. are in town, they attract the dregs of humanity) so - with around 20 minutes to go - the police decided to let the lot of them into an already-packed kop. :rolleyes:

I'm not from Herdings but spent a number of years working in the community a long time ago. I have fond memories of the area, of the local youth club, and especially the Cutlers, when run by Joe. Unlike some estate pubs, you didn't feel like you were taking your life in your hands when you went in, the same applied to the estate, which had a nice sense of community. Sadly, I hear it's not been like that for a long time now.
not a pleasant area now, run down, stabbings etc, several years ago tesco stopped doing deliveries after 8 p.m. I moved there when it was being built, as a young lad it seemed fantastic because it was. Whatever it is now my memories of growing up there as a six year old couldn't be better, loads of mates, playing football and cricket in herdings Park, herdings infant/junior and then gleadless Valley secondary school ,left the area in 1975 when I got married and bought a house (how posh was that) in Killamarsh, still have friends even now from the valley, very ordinary upbringing but I wouldn't change any of it.of course I'm a multi millionaire now so I would say all that, wouldn't I !

not a pleasant area now, run down, stabbings etc, several years ago tesco stopped doing deliveries after 8 p.m. I moved there when it was being built, as a young lad it seemed fantastic because it was. Whatever it is now my memories of growing up there as a six year old couldn't be better, loads of mates, playing football and cricket in herdings Park, herdings infant/junior and then gleadless Valley secondary school ,left the area in 1975 when I got married and bought a house (how posh was that) in Killamarsh, still have friends even now from the valley, very ordinary upbringing but I wouldn't change any of it.of course I'm a multi millionaire now so I would say all that, wouldn't I !

I live in Charnock, just a stones throw away from there and although the 2 estates are only separated by a dual carriageway, they are vastly different. Charnock is like sleepy suburbia, where as Herdings and the surrounding area does seem to have gone downhill quite a bit. This is based on what I hear though, rather than anything I have seen. Whilst I don't spend a great deal of time over there my other half is from that side and her mother still lives there, so we get the gossip on things. As you say, violent attacks seem a lot more prevalent, as is car theft and vandalism. Those do seem to be on the rise everywhere though.

Sheffields own Albert Hall, burned down in 1937, where Cole Brothers now stands.

post-513-1222327192_thumb.jpg

Sheffields own Albert Hall, burned down in 1937, where Cole Brothers now stands.

post-513-1222327192_thumb.jpg
Photo taken shortly after fire, engines and hoses on Burgess St. As a side note to this photo, the Gaumont , left of photo and in particular that wall where the site of a world record. My info came from a reliable source, around 50 years ago, an instructor/tutor of construction in particular Bricklaying. Story goes world record for number of bricks laid in a particular time, and it was performed in the area on this photo. Numbers I don't know. Person who achieved target and when I've forgotten, must be early mid 30's. Maybe someone may know more?

I live in Charnock, just a stones throw away from there and although the 2 estates are only separated by a dual carriageway, they are vastly different. Charnock is like sleepy suburbia, where as Herdings and the surrounding area does seem to have gone downhill quite a bit. This is based on what I hear though, rather than anything I have seen. Whilst I don't spend a great deal of time over there my other half is from that side and her mother still lives there, so we get the gossip on things. As you say, violent attacks seem a lot more prevalent, as is car theft and vandalism. Those do seem to be on the rise everywhere though.
I lived on Kew Crescent for 10 years ,my first 'family' home ,loved every minute apart from all the shit that came with Supertram.

The Ledge - my place of residence every Saturday and Tuesday for over fifteen years, same spot just left of centre, same group of mates, great times. I know that things are pretty good at the moment, but this was my apprenticeship ....
Was mine too GBS with my Dad and his mate but further along just under the roof.

I lived on Kew Crescent for 10 years ,my first 'family' home ,loved every minute apart from all the shit that came with Supertram.

Literally round the corner from me.

Strange looking at that how sparse the home crowd is. I can remember walking along Bramall Lane and we were surrounded by Man City fans. As we walked people were pointing and shouting in my direction. As you do, I ignored the pointing and shouting until I looked to my right and could see I was walking at the side of Kevin Kennedy who used to play Curly Watts in Coronation Street who was casually waving to the crowd.

Strange looking at that how sparse the home crowd is. I can remember walking along Bramall Lane and we were surrounded by Man City fans. As we walked people were pointing and shouting in my direction. As you do, I ignored the pointing and shouting until I looked to my right and could see I was walking at the side of Kevin Kennedy who used to play Curly Watts in Coronation Street who was casually waving to the crowd.

Just 20,800, but Bryan Robson was the manager back then...

Back
Top Bottom