CONFIRMED Wilder signs new deal

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Although I won't discount or minimise the effect fan's discontent can have on this type of outcome, I suspect it's more likely the game of brinkmanship that Wilder was prepared to indulge in that would have swayed this resulting in a positive finale.

Yeah, but our imaginations are always more interesting than reality. For all we know, events went like this:

"Look, I need a bigger budget to make myself a success here, otherwise I'll look elsewhere"
"Obviously, Chris, the plan's always been to grow the budget as the team stabilised in the Championship. We'll set up a board meeting in a fortnight"
Two weeks later...
"Meeting went well, Chris. How does £x and a new contract sound?"
"Sounds good. Talk to you later."

Meanwhile the press speculation and the interest of Sunderland, along with the fans' trepidation, and Wilder's openness in interviews, make this seems like an elaborate battle of wits designed to force the hand of an unstable boardroom. It's a pretty likely scenario when you consider that what's happened is exactly what we were told has been the plan for some time: cut our cloth accordingly but remain competitive in League One, solidify our position in the Championship, increase the budget to go with the improved revenue and cost of players. All the board have done is implement what they said they'd do this time last year. Except now we're attaching this exciting cloak and dagger narrative to it.

Yeah, but our imaginations are always more interesting than reality. For all we know, events went like this:

"Look, I need a bigger budget to make myself a success here, otherwise I'll look elsewhere"
"Obviously, Chris, the plan's always been to grow the budget as the team stabilised in the Championship. We'll set up a board meeting in a fortnight"
Two weeks later...

Meanwhile the press speculation and the interest of Sunderland, along with the fans' trepidation, and Wilder's openness in interviews, make this seems like an elaborate battle of wits designed to force the hand of an unstable boardroom. It's a pretty likely scenario when you consider that what's happened is exactly what we were told has been the plan for some time: cut our cloth accordingly but remain competitive in League One, solidify our position in the Championship, increase the budget to go with the improved revenue and cost of players. All the board have done is implement what they said they'd do this time last year. Except now we're attaching this exciting cloak and dagger narrative to it.

I think "For all we know..." best captures what most of us know where this is concerned.

I agree that the board (shorthand for the Prince?) is 12 months late where budget delivery may be concerned, but as the only people who matter are concerned, the owners and CW know the exact figure available to spend, and if Wilder has/does sign a new agreement then the assumption I'd make is that we're in a better position that we were a few weeks ago The outstanding matter that needs to be addressed now is one of ownership, and that could take many months of legal debate before it's resolved.

I think "For all we know..." best captures what most of us know where this is concerned.

I agree that the board (shorthand for the Prince?) is 12 months late where budget delivery may be concerned, but as the only people who matter are concerned, the owners and CW know the exact figure available to spend, and if Wilder has/does sign a new agreement then the assumption I'd make is that we're in a better position that we were a few weeks ago The outstanding matter that needs to be addressed now is one of ownership, and that could take many months of legal debate before it's resolved.

I think I was unclear. I don't mean the board is a year behind. I mean that last year we were told that if we wanted to stay here and be competitive that the budget would need to increase in the future. And that's exactly what appears to be happening. Increasing the budget over time was always the plan.

Looks like Sunderland have finally been taken over so be interesting to see how quickly they appoint a new boss now

BBC reporting Sunderland manager appointment should be made within seven days. One of Donald’s colleagues described it as a “proper job””. Sound familiar?

Separately Gary Rowett is reported to have asked to speak to Stoke despite having signed a new contract for 3 years in January. BBC article suggests £3m compensation would be about right. Anybody happy to accept £3m for CW?

BBC reporting Sunderland manager appointment should be made within seven days. One of Donald’s colleagues described it as a “proper job””. Sound familiar?

Separately Gary Rowett is reported to have asked to speak to Stoke despite having signed a new contract for 3 years in January. BBC article suggests £3m compensation would be about right. Anybody happy to accept £3m for CW?
Yes but I’m not sure if anyone will give me £3m for him, I’d even get Chris a crate if they did just as a thank you gesture. :)

If you take the clubs who finished 9th-16th we finished near the top of that mini-league and the pigs near the bottom. To put it another way we must be upper middle ranking already.

Don't get your hopes up folks, there's always a catch in it where United are concerned.
Pies are now £800.

The example I’m talking about is when both publicly called the board out on the need for extra investment. Warnock after the infamous Millwall game that ended the season, Wilder prior to the end of the season. Warnock with one year left on his existing deal (with an option to extend), Wilder having 2 full years left to run on his existing deal.

Well, Wilder has been with us two years and got us up once.

Warnock had at that time done 5 seasons and had taken us into the playoffs once, two years prior. In each of the next two seasons the team had started ok but had slipped away from the promotion and playoff races.

I think Wilder is the best manager outside the PL in my view and better than the majority in that league too. I mean how many managers can boast several promotions, never been sacked and he's had to do it on a budget at every club he's been at. - that I'm aware of anyway.

I'm over the moon he's signed the deal - assuming that will come out soon. When you look at a potential replacement for Wilder if he had gone, there simply isn't one. The closest would probably be Paul Hurst, who of course is a Wednesday fan! We are so blessed to have Chris as our manager, and I can only see us going from strength to strength under him.

Must admit, I'm more than a little puzzled by the standards that are applied to footballers and football managers. I can't, in any reasonable fashion, begin to understand why the suggestion of hypocrisy raises it's head simply because someone wishes to give themselves and those they work with a better chance of improving themselves. Would these same supporters prefer a passive attitude from Wilder? Would they prefer that Wilder keeps quiet during the summer and meekly accept whatever the owners presented him with?

Opportunities to improve and better yourself don't happen that often, and if it requires specific negotiating skills, I for one will have no problem if others cry, "Hypocrisy".
Life is tough, so football is no different, and why should knowledgeable employees stand by quietly while those meant to govern act as if they know absolutely nothing, and in the process get things spectacularly wrong. I'm not suggesting reckless spending, but as appears to be the case, Wilder has managed to create a situation where his summer budget is increased, allowing him a chance to buy the type of player(s) we're desperately in need of. The fact that this budget was increased suggests that the money was there all the time. So why did it come to this? Why did it take a public display of concern to bring the owners to the point where they are prepared to increase Wilder's budget?

It wouldn't surprise me if Mr McC had had a word in CW's shell like and suggested that an outburst from CW might just start the ball rolling

Two weeks later...

Two weeks later...
"Dunno Kev.. what about the budget.. i need to crack on"
"Yeah we've improved it Chris"

Fixed.

It wouldn't surprise me if Mr McC had had a word in CW's shell like and suggested that an outburst from CW might just start the ball rolling

But BoSS, that would take a level of cunning from KM that.....no, surely not, I'm struggling to imagine Kev as anything other than our beloved leader, rather than the manipulator you describe ;)

Politics in the business world?

Never!

;)

Politics at almost any level doesn't take too much imagination.

Given what's at stake - valuable land assets, a potential Premiership club with all the riches that come with this, even the vanity that surrounds such behaviour - if you were to suggest any scenario it wouldn't be too surprising to imagine.

After waving goodbye after the last game at Bristol he was seen being driven to Sunderland by a Northampton Town director to collect his 1/4 on winnings from the bookies.:p

Back
Top Bottom