Brooks

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

So Thorpy by definition are you saying increase his wage from £2K to £20K making him the highest paid player.
He's not ever played a game in the men's league yet and you're suggesting he's worth around £10 million.
Amazing!!

Agents negotiate salaries based on the players worth (transfer fee wise) to the club, so if you're confident we could get £10 million for him in 2 or 3 years then the agent can easily justify that he's worth £20K a week salary (which is £4 million over 4 years).

He's hugely talented and has great potential but he's currently no where near good enough to get a starting place. There's a massive difference between the Toulon under 19 tournemnrnt and the real deal of men's standard league football.

I’d say based on his pre-season exploits that he is very near to being good enough to start. Maybe not quite there yet (probably impact sub at the moment) but that isn’t anything like “nowhere near”. Someone like Jordan Hallam, Jake Wright Junior etc. might be considered “nowhere near” but certainly not Brooksy. He’s very much part of the first team squad and if he stays, I wouldn’t bet against him being a regular starter before xmas.

Who would you say were seriously touted as “next big thing” that disappeared into obscurity? I don’t mean people like Joe Ironside etc. where there was a view that he might be decent, I’m talking real exctiting talent attracting interest from top clubs:- during my time, the names that jump out are:

Dane Whitehouse (Huge success)

Mitch Ward (success)

Wayne Quinn (initial success then faded badly after injury but still got a decent fee)

John Reed (flopped)

Lee Morris (as per Wayne Quinn)

Curtis Woodhouse (lost his way but again, commanded a decent fee after some early success).

Nick Montgomery (steady, limited player who had a decent career)

Michael Tonge (Success though probably not quite to the extent many thought in his early years)

Phil Jagielka (Huge success)

Kyle Naughton (success)

Kyle Walker (huge success)

Matt Lowton (success)

Jordan Slew (flopped)

Louis Reed (stagnated- but will likely make an OK career out of the game)

George Long (as per Reed)

Harry Maguire (Huge success)

Terry Kennedy (early promise ravaged by injury)

Diego De Girolamo (early promise ravaged by injury)

A fair share of success stories there with a couple of the failures being in part down to injury.

It's much harder to remember the ones who didn't make it. Ian Ross would have to be on the list though.

Who would you say were seriously touted as “next big thing” that disappeared into obscurity? I don’t mean people like Joe Ironside etc. where there was a view that he might be decent, I’m talking real exctiting talent attracting interest from top clubs:- during my time, the names that jump out are:

Dane Whitehouse (Huge success)

Mitch Ward (success)

Wayne Quinn (initial success then faded badly after injury but still got a decent fee)

John Reed (flopped)

Lee Morris (as per Wayne Quinn)

Curtis Woodhouse (lost his way but again, commanded a decent fee after some early success).

Nick Montgomery (steady, limited player who had a decent career)

Michael Tonge (Success though probably not quite to the extent many thought in his early years)

Phil Jagielka (Huge success)

Kyle Naughton (success)

Kyle Walker (huge success)

Matt Lowton (success)

Jordan Slew (flopped)

Louis Reed (stagnated- but will likely make an OK career out of the game)

George Long (as per Reed)

Harry Maguire (Huge success)

Terry Kennedy (early promise ravaged by injury)

Diego De Girolamo (early promise ravaged by injury)

A fair share of success stories there with a couple of the failures being in part down to injury.

Even. Jagielka and Walker never received the hype that surrounded Diego or Brooks. Despite playing in the first team. Of the rest, no one ever touted any of them as being worth £10m ( or the relevant value at the time). I just hope Pinchy is okay after reading Montys name as someone thought to be "the next big thing". All you've done is listed recent players who made the first team and faded for whatever reason, save for Harry, MattyL andKyle N. And none of those three, particularly one oft referred to as Leadboots, was ever looked on as a possible world beater, even Dane, who is rightly a Blades Legend. Sadly Kennedy looked the real deal but everyone knew of his injury problems which tempered claims.

There are loads like your list over the years. The hypes so much bigger these days though. Diegos serious injury may well have kiboshed a great career but that's a risk every player takes. When given his chance, he wasn't even average, yet people still we're going crazy about him.

Monty on a "next big thing" list though? :)

Even. Jagielka and Walker never received the hype that surrounded Diego or Brooks. Despite playing in the first team. Of the rest, no one ever touted any of them as being worth £10m ( or the relevant value at the time). I just hope Pinchy is okay after reading Montys name as someone thought to be "the next big thing". All you've done is listed recent players who made the first team and faded for whatever reason, save for Harry, MattyL andKyle N. And none of those three, particularly one oft referred to as Leadboots, was ever looked on as a possible world beater, even Dane, who is rightly a Blades Legend. Sadly Kennedy looked the real deal but everyone knew of his injury problems which tempered claims.

There are loads like your list over the years. The hypes so much bigger these days though. Diegos serious injury may well have kiboshed a great career but that's a risk every player takes. When given his chance, he wasn't even average, yet people still we're going crazy about him.

OK, take your point re Monty. I was merely making the point that of the kids to get in and around the first team, we've produced a good number who have gone on to have good careers. Saw a stat on Twitter last week to say our academy was the 8th best represented in terms of PL minutes played last season. That takes into account all academies in the world as the likes of Ajax and Feyenoord were also on the list.

You’ve touched on it but I don’t think we need to offer as much or more than a PL team because of the fact he’s likely to play and develop better here. But the wage of course has to be competitive. All speculation but I would think a figure in the region of £7k would give us a chance.
Why offer any increase at this stage? If he's in the squad regularly at Christmas then that's the time to talk.
He says he wants to play games and get into the first team but one step at a time. Tell him now if he becomes a squad regular then we'll talk about a new deal, same goes if he becomes a regular first teamer.
Right here, right now he's a prospect nothing more, and throwing around the frankly stupid offers mentioned in this thread, just because an agent has put some stories out in the press is ludicrous.

Why offer any increase at this stage? If he's in the squad regularly at Christmas then that's the time to talk.
He says he wants to play games and get into the first team but one step at a time. Tell him now if he becomes a squad regular then we'll talk about a new deal, same goes if he becomes a regular first teamer.
Right here, right now he's a prospect nothing more, and throwing around the frankly stupid offers mentioned in this thread, just because an agent has put some stories out in the press is ludicrous.

Fair point. I suppose it depends how concerned we are about PL interest and how highly CW rates him at this stage of his development.

Fair point. I suppose it depends how concerned we are about PL interest and how highly CW rates him at this stage of his development.
If you react to a little bit of agent meddling then you're setting yourself up for a lot of pain, and he's done nothing of note yet for us.
Support him, coach him, and reward actual achievement rather than the first hint of promise. You want to set a mentality of working hard and then getting the just rewards, and if he doesn't want to do that, for whatever reason, then best of luck to him and I'd show him the door.

Our team ethos is currently our biggest strength and if cultured properly will run through the side for years.

Think you mean, thank you Nigel Clough?

If it was Clough that brought him here then yes to Clough too - but it was Man City that released him for apparently being too small considering them and Chelsea appear to have first pickings of young talent.

UTB

As FB rightly says IF.
There are literally thousands of youngsters 'released' from PL clubs every year.
I think the notion that Clough ( or any 1st team manager) was/is involved in every academy player signing is as fancifully absurd as Richard Branson setting on the friendly ticket inspector on the 0600 Manchester Piccadilly train to London.

Managers look at players to improve the squad now not 3 to 5 years down the line, Otherwise they'd get sacked long before wasting time on that sort of activity.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/foot...ane-production-line-of-young-talent-1-8666617
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35054310

Last edited:

Nobody touted any of them as worth 10m as Jags, Walker, Naughton were all how many years ago ? The market has moved on with the stupid money now swilling around in the premiership. If we need to sell the youngsters make sure its for a fortune and try and keep hold of our best established players.

Brooks could easily be the difference between a successful season or season of struggle and given we haven't pushed the boat on signings why not keep him?

Nobody touted any of them as worth 10m as Jags, Walker, Naughton were all how many years ago ? The market has moved on with the stupid money now swilling around in the premiership. If we need to sell the youngsters make sure its for a fortune and try and keep hold of our best established players.

Brooks could easily be the difference between a successful season or season of struggle and given we haven't pushed the boat on signings why not keep him?

Brooks could be the difference between a good season and one of struggle ? He's a talented lad Frieth but I think you're in danger of overstating the case for Brooks a bit there mate .

If you let your players get to within eighteen months of their contract expiration date, the chance of keeping the good ones becomes a lot more difficult. The chance to hold out for the big bucks also becomes a lot more difficult. Surely it's part of Wilder's remit to decide which of our players will definitely thrive at championship level, and get them on long deals before championship and premier league clubs know about it? Personally, I'd be looking at Brooks, O'Connell and Fleck. All three have two years or less on their deals. You can insert incentives into these contracts btw.

I thought it would be rather obvious that no one offered £10m because it was some time ago. But just in case I did add the time relevant comment for clarity for those who needed it. In any event the point was that they were playing first team football in a higher league than Brooks has.

Ive never suggested we sell him btw. Why would anyone without seeing what we actually have. IF we were to sell him, obviously we want a good fee. That's dependent on the top bid. I remember the clamour over what we got for DCL, but no other club came in with a better bid. Same with Adams who wasn't in Wilders plans. But suggestions to make him one of the best players at the club based on as yet very little competitively with United, is madness. The same action with Diego - which is the only real comparison - would have cost the club an absolute fortune.

Agree re not making him one of the best paid players, no idea what he's on but as someone else said a raise and the likelihood of some first team football should be enough to get him to stay.

Problem nowadays is the agents are in the player and his family's ears saying you are only one bad injury away from no career so why not sign for Everton and bank 10k a week. It makes sense to move from their point of view if they are on 1-2k a week, however if they are on 4-5k then they are more likely to say I'd rather get some first team experience.

Every now and agsin we have to gamble to keep our best youngsters and the evidence so far is Brooks is one worth taking the gamble with especially with the extra cash we will get in the championship

Agree re not making him one of the best paid players, no idea what he's on but as someone else said a raise and the likelihood of some first team football should be enough to get him to stay.

Problem nowadays is the agents are in the player and his family's ears saying you are only one bad injury away from no career so why not sign for Everton and bank 10k a week. It makes sense to move from their point of view if they are on 1-2k a week, however if they are on 4-5k then they are more likely to say I'd rather get some first team experience.

Every now and agsin we have to gamble to keep our best youngsters and the evidence so far is Brooks is one worth taking the gamble with especially with the extra cash we will get in the championship

Wouldn't disagree with anything there, and speaking generally would £5k be enough to keep him when he could get double and take home £5k a week? The other thing is any effect on the rest of the squad to see him get a big rise having achieved little in the first team?

If they increase Brookes contract both financially and for longer his value as an asset to the club increases. The problem comes if the player does not sign it. Ramsdale only had 6 months to go on his contract, hence went relatively cheap. DCL had only a couple of years to run.

I would expect Brookes to sign a new contract very soon.

Look at Fatty Pig Hirsts son over at the swill. He is in many peoples opinion, very average, but he seems to be spoken about as a future player. The Pigs have put him straight on a 4 year deal to make sure he is as big an asset to the club as possible.

If they increase Brookes contract both financially and for longer his value as an asset to the club increases. The problem comes if the player does not sign it. Ramsdale only had 6 months to go on his contract, hence went relatively cheap. DCL had only a couple of years to run.

I would expect Brookes to sign a new contract very soon.

Look at Fatty Pig Hirsts son over at the swill. He is in many peoples opinion, very average, but he seems to be spoken about as a future player. The Pigs have put him straight on a 4 year deal to make sure he is as big an asset to the club as possible.

The downside is if Hirsts a flop, he's a liability, not an asset. Plus a drain on resources. Not as big an issue for South Barnsley but Sonething to think about for us. It's more the salary figure thats being suggested rather than the length of the deal that I'd worry about.

If you let your players get to within eighteen months of their contract expiration date, the chance of keeping the good ones becomes a lot more difficult. The chance to hold out for the big bucks also becomes a lot more difficult. Surely it's part of Wilder's remit to decide which of our players will definitely thrive at championship level, and get them on long deals before championship and premier league clubs know about it? Personally, I'd be looking at Brooks, O'Connell and Fleck. All three have two years or less on their deals. You can insert incentives into these contracts btw.

Interesting point you raise, but haven't United got an additional year added to a player's contract with each of these players? It was the same in the case of Coutts, United chose to trigger that extra year to prolong his contract. I do understand your concerns but the question of rising through the divisions is to see how your players respond to the challenge, and then assess whether they're good enough by offering improved terms.

The leap we've taken in going from Division 1 to the Championship offers us several new challenges, that of quality of player, wages, transfer fees, and whatever else is guaranteed to take a hike simply by having the tag 'Championship' around it's neck. This may seriously impact on McCabe and the Prince when it comes to investment in the team. Currently we may be well off the mark of top payers when it comes to offering wages that are attractive to a decent Championship player, so perhaps a period of readjustment may be on the cards as our owners reassess how they intend to take this club forward, while having to face the possibility of our manager looking elsewhere for employment with a club that can match his ambitions.

You know what's going to keep Brooks at the lane don't You?

Success
Wilder
And his own personality.

I actually cancelling the Chesterfield gig, getting him in and around the first team, mixing with the lads etc will help him greatly too. He knows he could prob earn a bob or two more by going to a Prem dev squad, but he wouldn't be able to impose himself on the public eye.

However, he will know, one decent season at this level and his stock rises considerably and that 4 year 10k a week deal with Everton could suddenly turn into a 4 year 15/20k a week deal with a single years of 'playing investment'.

Could work for the best all round.

First opportunity to see the lad to night, very impressive, nice clinical finish to get the win, excellent movement from the moment he came on and electrifying pace , definitely a star in the making.

First opportunity to see the lad to night, very impressive, nice clinical finish to get the win, excellent movement from the moment he came on and electrifying pace , definitely a star in the making.
I know I'm beginning to sound like a bit of a fan boy but until the goal that was one of his less impressive run outs that I've seen.
He was nudged of the ball a couple of times which lead the bloke at the side of me to say "ugh he's a bit lightweight" which obviously infuriated me.
He then seemed to drift out wide which worried me because I was just hoping that Wilder hadn't put him out there just to incorporate him in the side because like a Walcott I really don't see him as a winger, plus there seemed to be so much room behind Stokes defence to run into if he just skipped past their big thug Shawcross.
Everything he does is so positive and brave though, so he still did so great little touches and obviously the goal topped it off.

Someone randomly asked how his defensive play was the other day, he did a great tracking back challenge towards the end as well which I also added to my fan boy note book.

That lad Lookman 19yo went from Charlton to Everton for over 10 million , we need to get the Wippersnapper insured quickly and put a stop to Everton grooming .

Brilliant and consistant off the ball movement into space.
Always wanting the ball.
Positive and assertive in possession.
Happy to have a dig with either foot.
Pacy.
Great tracking back tackle a la TC in his prime.
Not remotely intimidated by alecarts.

Easily "pushed" off the ball by alecarts. Would probably get freekicks in league games.

He is different to anything else we have and without getting ahead of myself can see him revelling and blossoming in the Championship.

Hope he starts/gets a good amount of game time against Brentford.

He came on last night and took his goal well. Looked to take players on and get into the box.

That said I will be surprised if he is still here in September.

So Thorpy by definition are you saying increase his wage from £2K to £20K making him the highest paid player.
He's not ever played a game in the men's league yet and you're suggesting he's worth around £10 million.
Amazing!!

Agents negotiate salaries based on the players worth (transfer fee wise) to the club, so if you're confident we could get £10 million for him in 2 or 3 years then the agent can easily justify that he's worth £20K a week salary (which is £4 million over 4 years).

He's hugely talented and has great potential but he's currently no where near good enough to get a starting place. There's a massive difference between the Toulon under 19 tournemnrnt and the real deal of men's standard league football.
no i didnt mention wages he would fit into the current wage structure , im just making a comparison that southampton never undersold any of their hot prospects and went from div 1 to the premiership in consecutive seasons and to date are still solidly in the premiership. whereas sheffield united always let their best young players go for peanuts.

That lad Lookman 19yo went from Charlton to Everton for over 10 million , we need to get the Wippersnapper insured quickly and put a stop to Everton grooming .
No, he didn't. It was around £7m plus add-ons. It's a lot of money, it doesn't need exaggerating.

With the number of signings Everton are making at all levels it's becoming obvious they're stockpiling young players Chelsea style. Kids are starting to see through it and look to go to clubs that will actually play them. I doubt DCL will get much more game time unless he steps up, likewise Lookman. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up going out on loan at some point.

Back
Top Bottom