Your current favourite United player

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Scoogs is the first player in a long time that has electric pace into the box. Murphy could destroy defences if only he could go inside as well as outside his man. McNulty has quick feet and could be the player we wanted Billy Sharpe to be. Baxter can do the unexpected, if only the rest of the team could read him in time. Wallace can pick a pass in the way McDonald could but also has a tackle in him. However, my favourite will be the first one of them to score a 35 yard screamer into the top corner in front of the Kop.

images

:D :D :D :D

Francis would be amused at that image.....on a serious note, from the little I've seen of McNulty he's got excellent awareness in and around the box and could, as you've suggested, be someone to compare with any number of rated goalscorers. Time will tell, but I hope you're right mate.

I think the variety of answers in the thread just shows how far we've come in a relatively short period of time. A midfield of Baxter, Wallace, Scoogs & Murphy clearly has enough quality at this level with the added bonus of potential to improve to a higher level. Then throw in Doyle who has made his leadership credentials undisputable over the last 9 months.

To answer the OP question; I am going to have to say Neill Collins. Like Doyle I was counting down the days until he would be released, but he has been a consistent and underappreciated presence in the team. Maguire flourished at the side of him and early signs are that HM2 will also do the same. He's been an excellent player for the club.

I just can't wait to see a fully fit Baxter scougs and Wallace in the same team

This isn't a dig, I love positive pages like this....
But I've got to say, anyone who picks Doyle over Baxter, wallace, scoogs and murphy, have a complete different outlook on football to me.
Do these people prefer Henderson to the rest of the England team too?

When we get an injury free team at full fitness, picking a favourite will be hard for us as there are so many quality players at the moment. My personal favourites at the moment are Scougs and Jamie Murphy as they both make you really sit up and expect things to happen.
JCR is in the same category when fit too.

I don't envy Nigel's job to pick the best team when all are available. There will have to be squad rotation to some extent to give them the games they deserve.

Jose Baxter. Meandering around like a lost kitten for 80 minutes... then BANG... something of real quality. Frustrating, yet sublime at the same time. Easy decision IMO.

At the moment McNulty is one I'm tipping for better things. Good movement and awareness.

Don't mock, I tipped Walker for England after seeing one appearance! :)

In April 2012 I went to Oakwell on the same day that we played Stevenage and blew our automatic promotion hopes. Towards the end Barnsley put on a 17 year old for his debut and after a few minutes I thought 'he could play for England'. It was John Stones.

But I've got to say, anyone who picks Doyle over Baxter, wallace, scoogs and murphy, have a complete different outlook on football to me.
People tend to have different outlooks, its no big deal.

Brilliant post mate.You have the same view as me on this.Football is supposed to be an entertainment and for a player like Doyle to be a favourite over exciting,good,and match winning players isn't my idea of a favourite,but i suppose each to their own and all that.

DIEGO. I know what's coming, or I think I do.

Then again will we keep him?

Second choice: Read.

Will we keep him?

Woodward, as usual powerful and precise strike at the new owner on Saturday. " Stop selling your best players".

Brilliant post mate.You have the same view as me on this.Football is supposed to be an entertainment and for a player like Doyle to be a favourite over exciting,good,and match winning players isn't my idea of a favourite,but i suppose each to their own and all that.
Football is endurance not entertainment. Well, supporting SUFC is anyway :)

We all have our own outlook and preferences, which is what makes this forum interesting.

Isn't it great that after a few void years we've got players who we willingly pay good money to watch again (Baxter, Wallace, Scougall and Murphy fit that bill for me).

Doyle will never be an 'edge of your seat' player, but I'm very confident most of his team-mates would have him as their favourite player. He has his limitations but he deserves the accolades he's getting in this thread for his strength of character, leadership and consistency.

Anyway, to answer the question: I need to see more of Wallace but I've seen enough to see why Cloughie didn't pay over the odds for Coady (who I rated very highly). Baxter has flair and, as a previous poster noted, the ability to see things early that others never see. Murphy has the pace and trickery to beat defenders in every league and the right manager in Cloughie to get the best out of him (which the DWs failed to do).

However, my vote goes to wee Scougall for his ability to turn defence into attack in a flash and his freakishly low centre of gravity that must be an absolute nightmare to defend against.

Reactions: LSF

Football is endurance not entertainment. Well, supporting SUFC is anyway :)
You've got that right mate.We certainly know how to make it as hard and as long winded as possible in anything we do:)

It's nice to have a few contenders..If Wallace can stay fit, he's a possible, he's quality. From the ones who've played more than a handful of games (JCR has looked great in his odd appearance)..Murphy,.Baxter and Scougall are my top 3. Scougall clinches it for me though. He's a breath of fresh air

Baxter because he is different gravy,but it could end up being Wallace as he also looks different gravy.I will stick with Baxter for now though.

Bisto and Oxo in the middle of the park will do for me because northern lads love gravy.:D

Surely you mean you'll stock with Baxter, Wiz?

I ❤️ Scoogs.

I'm going to ❤️❤️ Wallace.

Don't tell Scoogs.

Darren Bent. An absolute bargain for what we paid Villa for him. Bags of experience and still knows where the net is.

I'm posting from a parallel universe in which we got promoted in 2011-12.

Surely you mean you'll stock with Baxter, Wiz?

I ❤️ Scoogs.

I'm going to ❤️❤️ Wallace.

Don't tell Scoogs.
I like it,and good to see you back,hopefully not causing havoc again:D

As for Scouggs i would certainly have him in my team,but how could we fit Wallace,Baxter and Scouggs into the same team?That would be a dream of a midfield,don't you think?

Don't know why SEB, but your last line was like something you'd hear from a Frankie Howard tribute act.....all that was missing was Howard talking in the third person.

You surprise me, mate. Tut...tut.

The great Francis Howerd will be spinning in his grave...

Seriously though... Eric, Tommy and Frank. A golden era that never will be equalled. The Giants of British comedy.

Seriously though... Eric, Tommy and Frank. A golden era that never will be equalled. The Giants of British comedy.

Steve Coogan and Ricky Gervais knock them into a cocked hat.

:( < [EDIT] This was supposed to be a smiley face but I clicked on the wrong emoticon. Can't delete emoticons in posts on my phone for some reason.

:( < [EDIT] This was supposed to be a smiley face but I clicked on the wrong emoticon. Can't delete emoticons in posts on my phone for some reason.

I like Coogan. Gervais is not my cup of tea. Both are pygmies compared to the three greatest of all time as named. I think you'd say the same if you had been around in their heyday.

Ah, the return of the prodigal hooligan ;)

Stop tutting Pinchers, there were a number of Francis mannerisms that could be used as examples of what made him a creature of his time. Comedians make an impact on us early in life and often remain with us forever. Me? I liked Richard Pryor, (some) Lenny Bruce, Franklyn Ajaye, and, as a master of comic timing, Bob Hope. Oh, I adored Harpo Marx too.........subsequent addition nudged by a later poster, Bill Hicks.

Last edited:

Ricky Gervais is about as funny as being on the receiving end of a hefty kick in the knacker sack.

I don't particularly like Coogan the man, but Partridge is an absolute work of genius.

I hate no "comedian" as much as I hate Harry Hill (although Michael McIntyre is up there with him). A grown man making childish noises and pulling childish faces is just not funny.

Do these people prefer Henderson to the rest of the England team too?[/QUOTE]

I'd prefer Nyron Nosworthy to the rest of the fuckin England team at the moment !! :eek:

Scoogs for me, love watching the fella play football.

Nice that is so hard to pick a single player, Doyle and Collins for similar reasons, both are not the most entertaining, nor even the best in their respective positions but the give a honest commitment and a steel backbone to what is mostly on the whole a pretty lightweight outfield.
The other defenders, all have merit and have and will play a part.
The "flair" players Baxter, scougs, murphy JCR etc all good choices and with Wallace looking good and better each game, what can you say but after the early comments from some about "mediocre, lazy, not playing to potential" etc etc, all I can think is what a fantastic future we look to have.
Strikers next, well my potential favourite is among these and that's Marc mcnulty, not for a long time have I seen a striker with such a fantastic first touch, his ability to change direction and spin on the ball is amazing, yes he's young and still learning but I see great potential in him.
The other strikers higden and porter, both can come on when defences have been run ragged by scougs, murphy et al and score goals, higden particularly once settled and fit will I think destroy defences and score for fun.
The young un's Diego, Louis, Harrison, terry all great potential, non look phased or overawed and if clough keeps dropping them in on occasion I see next season, where ever we are being very bright.
On the whole for the first time in 20 years I feel we can get back where we belong and stay there.
UTB

Not seen Wallace yet, so it's Baxter and Doyle for me.

Baxter makes us tick because Doyle makes the time for him

Scougall, for this moment:

We may have lost the game, but what a fucking feeling when Scoogs smashed it in...

And I think taking a broader view it gave me a bit of renewed hope about what our beloved Blades can go on to achieve.

Back
Top Bottom