Updates from Wilder

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Ffs thousands of player contracts run out on 1st July all across Europe. I know it's a little late but surely worth the wait, it's been mentioned numerous times on here already. (Rubs head from numerous contacts with a wall):);)

But the vast majority of those who are any good will already be a done deal to go elsewhere, can you see Sheffield United with our much fabled technical board passing scrutiny over any new signings, signing anyone who is half decent.

I would love to see us, and this is exactly what we should be doing and aren't, and that is making a statement by going out there and getting 5 or 6 players in who will improve the squad, improve the mentality of the squad and also sending out a signal that we mean business this season but can you see us doing that, can anyone see us doing that, if we did I would be pleased and pleasantly surprised, but I genuinely can't and that is why there is a great deal of pessimism and frustration about this season already, well from me there is

But the vast majority of those who are any good will already be a done deal to go elsewhere, can you see Sheffield United with our much fabled technical board passing scrutiny over any new signings, signing anyone who is half decent.

I would love to see us, and this is exactly what we should be doing and aren't, and that is making a statement by going out there and getting 5 or 6 players in who will improve the squad, improve the mentality of the squad and also sending out a signal that we mean business this season but can you see us doing that, can anyone see us doing that, if we did I would be pleased and pleasantly surprised, but I genuinely can't and that is why there is a great deal of pessimism and frustration about this season already, well from me there is
I'm personally hoping I'm pleasantly surprised. Will it happen I'm 50/50

Some quotes:

“But we will look and explore and ideally we’d like everyone back in the building before the 23rd when we start. But there might be a couple who are slow-burners.

“The centre-half position is one we definitely need to change pretty quickly.”

June 4th - Paraphrase - "In process of appointing a chief scout to help him"

'Wilder and his assistant Alan Knill hope to have the majority of their new look team in place by the time United report back for pre-season training later this month'

'#sufc CW says they are planning on bringing in someone to help them scout players for this division. An announcement will be made soon.

12:18 PM - 1 Jun 2016'

Hence the anxiety.

This is starting to look painfully similar. At least we might get a scout over the line before July.

He told us it was going to hot-up over last weekend and this week. I feel positively freezing thus far.

Pre-season training starts without 1 recognised senior CB. We're already starting at a disadvantage.

The fact we're not bringing another keeper in, in itself, is worrying. I'm sure CW would want to if he could. I believe he initially said he was going to bring another in regardless of whether George signed or not?

Perhaps George is on £50/week more than we can really afford?

Some quotes:

“But we will look and explore and ideally we’d like everyone back in the building before the 23rd when we start. But there might be a couple who are slow-burners.

“The centre-half position is one we definitely need to change pretty quickly.”

June 4th - Paraphrase - "In process of appointing a chief scout to help him"

'Wilder and his assistant Alan Knill hope to have the majority of their new look team in place by the time United report back for pre-season training later this month'

'#sufc CW says they are planning on bringing in someone to help them scout players for this division. An announcement will be made soon.

12:18 PM - 1 Jun 2016'

Hence the anxiety.

This is what I don't get but sadly half expected.
Wilder and Knill did all the scouting/getting players in players at Northampton. We're shopping in the same store and Wilder states he wants his squad in and together to hit the ground running on the 23rd ( which we all, as fans, would have liked and have been crying out for the last few seasons)

Now he's got to 'get a chief scout in' to 'help'...what is the technical board for?

Perhaps it's the same owd case of too many chief's not enough Indians at BDTBL..?

Yes we need a lot more than once centre half, but how much more relaxed would it be if we could just get McFadzean over the line? He clearly wants to join so the only issue must be a transfer fee

I can't see us going out and getting 5 or 6 players to make a statement either. If we aren't then why don't the club just be honest. We know the financial situation, if it's that the players CW doesn't want need to be moved on before anyone can be brought in, why the bullshit. Its no different from the last 5 seasons is it and we are fed up of the continual hype before the massive let down. A bit of honesty, that's all we want.

[QUOTE=" so the only issue must be a transfer fee[/QUOTE]

And there in lies the problem.....

I'm hoping this time it's different. I fear that we'll do little and then recklessly spend all the money* on one player to appease fans.

*there may not be any money.

And sell Sharp on the 31st of August.

I can't see us going out and getting 5 or 6 players to make a statement either. If we aren't then why don't the club just be honest. We know the financial situation, if it's that the players CW doesn't want need to be moved on before anyone can be brought in, why the bullshit. Its no different from the last 5 seasons is it and we are fed up of the continual hype before the massive let down. A bit of honesty, that's all we want.

I will point this out again, one bloke was honest with us at the end of the January Transfer Window, he told us the situation and what to expect from the next two transfer windows and that is coming to pass.

His name was Phipps and his reward for that honesty was to be pushed out of the club.

I will point this out again, one bloke was honest with us at the end of the January Transfer Window, he told us the situation and what to expect from the next two transfer windows and that is coming to pass.

His name was Phipps and his reward for that honesty was to be pushed out of the club.

People have mentally blocked that out Za

I really do not understand you and why you have to say so many things which are negative and undermine any unity that could build within the club.
It's because the world isn't full of colourful rainbows, as much as you might wish it to be.

We were in the shit the minute we went down to this league.
For more than I wish to admit we have been lauding average, technically poor players who run around a lot, and sold any player we had that might just break that mould.

We have a "workmanlike" side and don't seem able to change. The rest of the world is changing but we are still paying silly money for crap and getting pissed off if our team don't play at 100mph, lump it forward and kick our opponents.

Now it's been obvious to me since Clough that we haven't had the sort of sums needed to overhaul the whole squad and get those types of players in, while at the same time maintaining enough of a challenge to go up and keep fans happy. We haven't been prepared to wait for scouted players, wait for young players to get there we y wanted results immediately.
So the real kicker....IS THAT NOTHING HAS CHANGED....ITS STILL McCABE....SAME OUTCOMES.

I suggest folk get their head out of their arses and accept this....or do something actively about it. Because I can tell you now, we won't be shelling out tidy sums to get quality in. We won't be offering big money to free players just cos they were free.
We are going to be scratching about for bargains, hoping we get lucky. And NO manager can guarantee success under those protocols....just as Clough couldn't...or Adkins.
The myth that Clough spent millions is a joke...he earned money from cup runs, and had players sold. He had to buy a full team...the majority of whom were free or very cheap.
Most didn't come off...but that's the reality with that approach. So we shouldn't expect better just because Wilder is now the manager BUT operating under a similar approach.
DONT BE FOOLED BY THE SPIN OF THE OWNER PASSING THE BLAME. HES HAVING YOUR PANTS DOWN.

For more than I wish to admit we have been lauding average, technically poor players who run around a lot, and sold any player we had that might just break that mould.

We have a "workmanlike" side and don't seem able to change. The rest of the world is changing but we are still paying silly money for crap and getting pissed off if our team don't play at 100mph, lump it forward and kick our opponents.

Now it's been obvious to me since Clough that we haven't had the sort of sums needed to overhaul the whole squad and get those types of players in, while at the same time maintaining enough of a challenge to go up and keep fans happy. We haven't been prepared to wait for scouted players, wait for young players to get there we y wanted results immediately.
So the real kicker....IS THAT NOTHING HAS CHANGED....ITS STILL McCABE....SAME OUTCOMES.

I suggest folk get their head out of their arses and accept this....or do something actively about it. Because I can tell you now, we won't be shelling out tidy sums to get quality in. We won't be offering big money to free players just cos they were free.
We are going to be scratching about for bargains, hoping we get lucky. And NO manager can guarantee success under those protocols....just as Clough couldn't...or Adkins.
The myth that Clough spent millions is a joke...he earned money from cup runs, and had players sold. He had to buy a full team...the majority of whom were free or very cheap.
Most didn't come off...but that's the reality with that approach. So we shouldn't expect better just because Wilder is now the manager BUT operating under a similar approach.
DONT BE FOOLED BY THE SPIN OF THE OWNER PASSING THE BLAME. HES HAVING YOUR PANTS DOWN.
It wasn't a myth, Clough did spend millions and yes he did bring in a lot of money, the fact of the matter is though that he brought absolute shite into our club and set us back years with the millions he wasted.

Other than that, i do agree with a lot of your post.

Set us back more than Blackwell?
Cloughs wage bill wasn't even the third biggest in his last season. And he didn't get the players he wanted in for various reasons....in the most part due to constant battles with board members. After that he tried to bring in players as short term fixes...and he didn't demand Brayford be signed either. That was a board decision in the end.

Clough can take the blame for some players we could argue were average/crap/good enough to do a job or whatever. But just because our owner has opted to lay blame totally at his door for bringing in poor players doesn't mean it's true.
Adkins did a very good job at turning players who had been decent for many games into poor, disinterested and disjointed players with no clue what he wanted them to do.
I repeat....the board and owner of this club is holding whoever the manager had been back. And Wilder will be no different.

Set us back more than Blackwell?
Cloughs wage bill wasn't even the third biggest in his last season. And he didn't get the players he wanted in for various reasons....in the most part due to constant battles with board members. After that he tried to bring in players as short term fixes...and he didn't demand Brayford be signed either. That was a board decision in the end.

Clough can take the blame for some players we could argue were average/crap/good enough to do a job or whatever. But just because our owner has opted to lay blame totally at his door for bringing in poor players doesn't mean it's true.
Adkins did a very good job at turning players who had been decent for many games into poor, disinterested and disjointed players with no clue what he wanted them to do.
I repeat....the board and owner of this club is holding whoever the manager had been back. And Wilder will be no different.
I don't listen to a thing our board says in relation to what they're apparently going to do, I look at actions and in general they are full of shit but Clough did spend the money he brought in, it was a lot of money and that is a feat in itself for our board to allow a manager to do this.

There ends the party political broadcasts. Clough spent and wasted millions on recruitment , salaries , contract . Nuff Said.

Really can't be arsed to read 5 friggin pages, did he say the following ?

- great bunch of lads
- people working hard in the background
- we won't rush signings
- we want quality not quantity.

There ends the party political broadcasts. Clough spent and wasted millions on recruitment , salaries , contract . Nuff Said.
Crikey some pigs go to some lengths to have a go at us, don't they boss,not as though we are learning anything new, we go again in a few weeks time.fresh squad,fresh manager,fresh start with a leaner team with plenty of hunger.

So here we go again...club announces new manager and new plan....few weeks later announces a board re shuffle.....and then we are sorting out the scouting network.

Well how many times have we heard this over the last 5 years?

Wake up everyone....it's the same bloody record on repeat.

Wilder has made bold statements and we aren't going to be able to attract the players we want offering the same or less than other clubs. Most players aren't interested in our club, if they are expected to manage th expectations and pressure then they want paying over the odds for it.

We have more or less missed out on the frees....we are now looking for bargains. But we have no bloody scout to do the job, so depend solely on the managers experience.
So in reality nothing has changed....the manager will suggest players and the transfer bods will want to know all about them before committing anything.
The process will take forever while we drift into the season woefully underprepared.

Lets close our ears to the crucial bit
THE MOST DIFFICULT PIECE OF A MANAGERS JOB IS MOVING PLAYERS ON to free up some money.

I've said it loads of times but Clough's legacy has fecked this club over massively, more so the Robson.

No manager can turn around 30/40 bad signings (poor players and/or overpaid) in one season. Fans didn't give Adkins enough time and already without a ball kicked some are already on Wilders back.

Give the guy time to turn a vastly over-paid poor mid table side into a promotion winning side, ( a clue) it's highly unlikely to happen in 1 season!
He understands the history of the problems very well, and talks a very good hand.
Understanding the problems is a great start to putting them right.

So did Warnock before he got us promoted. So did Adkins last season. Every time we sack a manager the consequences are some of the players don't suit the replacement and they always want to bring in their own.
The board allowed Clough to bring in costly players who came to the Lane to play for him in the window before they sacked him; Brayford, Coutts, Freeman, all ex Derby, all Cloughie's boys. If they had doubts, why did they let him sign these players?
It was a gamble and when it failed and we got twatted in the playoffs, the board compounded the failure by sacking Clough.

I think that if we'd stuck with Wilson he'd have got us up by now. We keep blaming managers but sacking managers almost every season is just as much part of the problem as anything else.

It seems pretty clear to me that managers aren't as influential as they were when we were young, it's a combined effort between the manager and those who run the club.

Back
Top Bottom