Keeper changes

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

bertieblade

Reaction score
Eastwood goes out to Rochdale until the end of the season, whilst Marcus Dewhurst is recalled from his loan at Scunthorpe

And coincides with us needing a third keeper.

Factoid: Nobody knows how long Jake Eastwood has been on United's books. Some say he's always been here.

I was at the pre season friendly away at Rotherham.
Eastwood was in goal for us that night and he looked pretty good making some decent saves.
Think that was the season we'd just been promoted from league 1 up to the Championship, so over 6 years ago.

Just checked google and he's been at the club since he was 10 years old and he's now 26 years old.
Apparently he's been out on loan 11 times only making a total of 29 apperances.

Last edited:
I was at the pre season friendly away at Rotherham.
Eastwood was in goal for us that night and he looked pretty good making some decent saves.
Think that was the season we'd just been promoted from league 1 up to the Championship, so over 6 years ago.

Just checked google and he's been at the club since he was 10 years old and he's now 26 years old.

You really have to wonder, at what point does the penny drop that your footballing career isn't really going to materialise.

You really have to wonder, at what point does the penny drop that your footballing career isn't really going to materialise.

Yeh it does seem unusual.
He's a local lad, google says "born in Rotherham"
Can only think he's a good egg, no trouble and his salary must be very low.
As he's been with SUFC since being a young boy, might be some sentiment coming into continuously renewing his contract.

Not as easy as the penny dropping I don’t think. He will be on an above average wage for a few years and will hope that continues but clearly he will want to be first choice somewhere as well so it would t be in his best interest to look for a different career at this moment

In 6-12 months then that might be different

Remember when Sal Bibbo was Jake Eastwood’s understudy. They were halcyon days.

Yeh it does seem unusual.
He's a local lad, google says "born in Rotherham"
Can only think he's a good egg, no trouble and his salary must be very low.
Might be some sentiment coming into continuously renewing his contract, normally sentiment doesn't come in to it though.

That is the thing though as I mentioned the other day. I have no recent news stating we offered him a new deal. He signed a new deal in 2017 for 3 years and it is now 2023. There has been no news from the club in that time about a new contract to my knowledge. We just keep shipping him out on loan.

That is the thing though as I mentioned the other day. I have no recent news stating we offered him a new deal. He signed a new deal in 2017 for 3 years and it is now 2023. There has been no news from the club in that time about a new contract to my knowledge. We just keep shipping him out on loan.
He signed in the summer til 2024

Isn’t going to materialise? He’s made a living up to this point and until next summer at least with United, and he’ll get a club after he leaves for sure

He signed in the summer til 2024

Isn’t going to materialise? He’s made a living up to this point and until next summer at least with United, and he’ll get a club after he leaves for sure

Was that announced? Also, when did he sign his previous deal before the summer?

He doesn't play games here. He doesnt play many out on loan. He doesn't benefit us and he doesn't benefit the loan club. What is the point? What is his career?

He doesn't play games here. He doesnt play many out on loan. He doesn't benefit us and he doesn't benefit the loan club. What is the point? What is his career?
He plays the role of 3rd keeper for us when the keepers for our development squad are out on loan. If we release him we're going to need someone else to play the role of being an extra body in training and travelling to away games to not be in the squad on the off chance you might be on the bench if the 1st/2nd choice get ill or injured in the warmup.

Amissah seems to be doing that at the moment, but you'd expect him to go out on loan again at some point leaving us with even less experienced keepers to fill that role. Assuming Eastwood is on fairly low wages and is a decent lad around the squad who's happy to play that role it makes sense to keep him rather than spend money to replace him.

He's basically our Scott Carson, but somehow plays even less than he does.

The thinking man's Colin Cryan.

Strategies to develop Academy players for Sheffield United First Team football will require other Academy players who we do not expect to make the First Team. That is an inconvenient truth.

Players who are NOT going to make it are an important component in the strategy to develop players who are going to make it.

David Brooks made the first team through our Academy partly because he was fed the ball by players who were never going to make it, and he played through balls to players who were never going to make it.

Academies need players who are not going to make it - basically because you have to play 11 every Saturday.

Jake Eastwood is an important part of our player development strategy. Because he allows us to better juggle development & loan plans for Amissah & Dewhurst.

Can’t really complain about the guy. How many of the current squad are one club players? Loyalty might be an old fashioned concept to many supporters, but most clubs and players lack that trait nowadays.

Obviously, I don’t know what wages he’s on but I’d have thought he’d be better off getting a job and playing National League, picking up £3-400 per week and getting a game?
Maybe he just likes the lifestyle of being around a bigger club?

Maybe Eastwood is like Milton Waddams in Office Space, and just keeps coming in despite the fact that he’s been moved to the metaphorical basement and his salary has been stopped. Wait a minute, does he wear red boots?

Back
Top Bottom