First Team Squad (post-retainedgate)

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

robbiez666

Reaction score
So, now we know who will form the first team squad next season, before additions etc. In the club's own words, no less:

GK:

Wes
Davies
Dewhurst
Eastwood
Amissah

LWB

RND
Lowe
Buyabu

LCB

Robinson

CB

Egan

RCB

Anel
Basham

RWB

Baldock
Bogle
Sachdev

CM

Berge
Norwood
Osborn
Fleck

Coulibaly
Brooks
Arblaster
Brunt

FW

McBurnie
Ndiaye
Brewster
Jebbison
Osula

And we thought we were light in midfield when in essence we are really light at CB!

GK, 2 CB, 2 MF, 1 striker as a minimum. Back up to NDiaye ideally required too.

We know how raw Jebbo & Osula are so essentially we have McBurnie and Brewster

• Banned

I doubt we'll be bringing a keeper in since we seem to have 5!

So, now we know who will form the first team squad next season, before additions etc. In the club's own words, no less:

GK:

Wes
Davies
Dewhurst
Eastwood
Amissah

LWB

RND
Lowe NOT GOOD ENOUGH
Buyabu YOUTH

LCB

Robinson

CB

Egan

RCB

Anel
Basham

RWB

Baldock
Bogle
Sachdev YOUTH

CM

Berge
Norwood
Osborn NOT GOOD ENOUGH
Fleck PAST IT

Coulibaly DONT GET IT
Brooks. YOUTH
Arblaster YOUTH
Brunt. YOUTH

FW

McBurnie NOT GOOD ENOUGH
Ndiaye
Brewster ALWAYS INJURED
Jebbison YOUTH
Osula. YOUTH

And we thought we were light in midfield when in essence we are really light at CB!
GOD HELP US!!

GK:

Wes
Davies
Dewhurst
Eastwood
Amissah

LWB

RND
Lowe
Buyabu

LCB

Robinson

CB

Egan

RCB

Anel
Basham

RWB

Baldock
Bogle
Sachdev

CM

Berge
Norwood
Osborn
Fleck

Coulibaly
Brooks
Arblaster
Brunt

FW

McBurnie
Ndiaye
Brewster
Jebbison
Osula

And definitely LCB

Jebbo and Osula should be in front of Brewster in the pecking order.

Fleck and Osborn are a massive disappointment and show that we are brassic.

GK:

Wes
Davies
Dewhurst
Eastwood
Amissah

LWB

RND
Lowe
Buyabu

LCB

Robinson

CB

Egan

RCB

Anel
Basham

RWB

Baldock
Bogle
Sachdev

CM

Berge
Norwood
Osborn
Fleck

Coulibaly
Brooks
Arblaster
Brunt

FW

McBurnie
Ndiaye
Brewster
Jebbison
Osula

Just because players are retained doesn’t mean that we may sell them before the window closes

Hi Stegosaurus here

Not looking good. Only 5 of those are PL level.

Imagine playing Robinson against the likes of Man City.

Priority has to be a keeper to replace League 1 Wes and a good striker.

Give it a rest. Dewhurst played in a Scunthorpe team that were relegated from the conference &

Amissah was Burtons back up keeper last season. Played in 2 games & they got battered in one of them. He’s nowhere near Prem yet
At this point, I’m expecting Wes as no 1, Davies as back up and to play in the cup games and Eastwood to sit on the bench when one of the others isn’t there and to put the cones out.

Amissah and Dewhurst, who we seem to have a bit more hope for in relation to Eastwood, should be looking for a full season anywhere in the league to gain valuable experience and to showcase their skills.

At this point, I’m expecting Wes as no 1, Davies as back up and to play in the cup games and Eastwood to sit on the bench when one of the others isn’t there and to put the cones out.

Amissah and Dewhurst, who we seem to have a bit more hope for in relation to Eastwood, should be looking for a full season anywhere in the league to gain valuable experience and to showcase their skills.
My concern isn’t Wes to be honest, it’s Davies as back up. He was shakey & slow in the championship never mind in the Prem.

We all know Wes tends to miss a few games during then season.

My concern isn’t Wes to be honest, it’s Davies as back up. He was shakey & slow in the championship never mind in the Prem.

We all know Wes tends to miss a few games during then season.
It’s a fair observation and I’d also add my own concerns about Wes having the capability to be a top flight keeper.

However, call me sentimental but he’s earned the right to try and not have the rug pulled from under him before it all kicks off.

I don’t think we’ve seen the best of Davies, apart from his penalty saving. It’s not easy to come in and play the odd game with no run of fixtures.

However, he does have 121 Championship appearances behind him with 37 clean sheets to accompany them.

In games where people might have wanted him to do better, he’s done no worse than others and apart from the Norwich opener, I don’t remember an absolute howler from him, perhaps Burnley comes
Close but only after the number one made an error of judgment/ execution which torpedoed the whole team.

He’s played 10 games:
Coventry- lost 1-0 away to a pen. Not his fault.
Norwich - drew home 2-2. At fault for opener. Second was a difficult angle that an exceptional keeper might have got to but it was Anel’s fault for allowing Pukki to get the better of him. But also redeemed himself by saving a penalty.
West Brom - won 2-0 away. Kept a clean sheet.
Burnley - lost 2-0 away. Bogle sleeping on a cross allowed first, not at fault. Came for a cross and didn’t get there, somewhat at fault but defence undermanned not concentrating after a howler from Wes handed them the game with a ridiculous sending off.
Cardiff - won 4-1 home. Not at fault as I recall.
Bristol C - won 1-0 home. Clean sheet.
Birmingham - won 2-1 away. Bad defending allowed a header from a set-piece not far out.
Millwall - won 2-0 away. Clean sheet.
Wrexham - drew 3-3 away. All team were relatively sloppy defensively after making a good start. Could perhaps have been more commanding without being guilty of absolute changers.
Wrexham - won 3-1 home. Match winning penalty save. Only conceded from a penalty originally.

To me he had a mixed bag but wasn’t horrendous and in those he could have done better there were plenty of others who were also off it and who escape the same degree of criticism.

For where we are at, he’s ok. We’re not at a point to have an absolute top drawer keeper sat on his hands just in case.

I just feel there is a slightly unfair narrative building that he’s terribly sub-standard. He’s ok, relatively average but not abysmal as you might take from some comments.

I don't particularly rate Davies and I hope we get a better keeper in. That said, the biggest weakness to his game imo is his ability to come and take the ball in the air and his lack of command of of his area. At times he seems routed to his line which doesn't help his defence. Wrexham who play a lot of long balls into the box, knew this and targeted this weakness in the Cup game at their ground and we struggled defensively all game. If for example we had had Jamal Blackman (who is the opposite of Davies in that he ain't great at shot stopping but is great in the air) in the net that match we would have pissed it.

Compared to the Championship/Football league matches, the PL is less about aerial balls in the box and more about quality build up play, so in a strange way PL football might suit Davies better. As said, the preference is to get a better keeper though to challenge Wes.

GK:

Wes
Davies
Dewhurst
Eastwood
Amissah

LWB

RND
Lowe
Buyabu

LCB

Robinson

CB

Egan

RCB

Anel
Basham

RWB

Baldock
Bogle
Sachdev

CM

Berge
Norwood
Osborn
Fleck

Coulibaly
Brooks
Arblaster
Brunt

FW

McBurnie
Ndiaye
Brewster
Jebbison
Osula

Except that 4 of those midfielders are young lads who never get picked (about 90 minutes of league football between them), So we currently only have 2 players in a position where we generally select 3!

It’s a fair observation and I’d also add my own concerns about Wes having the capability to be a top flight keeper.

However, call me sentimental but he’s earned the right to try and not have the rug pulled from under him before it all kicks off.

I don’t think we’ve seen the best of Davies, apart from his penalty saving. It’s not easy to come in and play the odd game with no run of fixtures.

However, he does have 121 Championship appearances behind him with 37 clean sheets to accompany them.

In games where people might have wanted him to do better, he’s done no worse than others and apart from the Norwich opener, I don’t remember an absolute howler from him, perhaps Burnley comes
Close but only after the number one made an error of judgment/ execution which torpedoed the whole team.

He’s played 10 games:
Coventry- lost 1-0 away to a pen. Not his fault.
Norwich - drew home 2-2. At fault for opener. Second was a difficult angle that an exceptional keeper might have got to but it was Anel’s fault for allowing Pukki to get the better of him. But also redeemed himself by saving a penalty.
West Brom - won 2-0 away. Kept a clean sheet.
Burnley - lost 2-0 away. Bogle sleeping on a cross allowed first, not at fault. Came for a cross and didn’t get there, somewhat at fault but defence undermanned not concentrating after a howler from Wes handed them the game with a ridiculous sending off.
Cardiff - won 4-1 home. Not at fault as I recall.
Bristol C - won 1-0 home. Clean sheet.
Birmingham - won 2-1 away. Bad defending allowed a header from a set-piece not far out.
Millwall - won 2-0 away. Clean sheet.
Wrexham - drew 3-3 away. All team were relatively sloppy defensively after making a good start. Could perhaps have been more commanding without being guilty of absolute changers.
Wrexham - won 3-1 home. Match winning penalty save. Only conceded from a penalty originally.

To me he had a mixed bag but wasn’t horrendous and in those he could have done better there were plenty of others who were also off it and who escape the same degree of criticism.

For where we are at, he’s ok. We’re not at a point to have an absolute top drawer keeper sat on his hands just in case.

I just feel there is a slightly unfair narrative building that he’s terribly sub-standard. He’s ok, relatively average but not abysmal as you might take from some comments.
I get everything you’re saying and agree with it all if we were a championship club. The stick he got prior to the Cardiff game when he had to sit in during Wes absence was bizarre.

It was almost as if we had Burnley day Baxter back, but every point & goal is vital in the Prem & we can’t allow wins to turn into draws & draws into losses through avoidable errors.

IMO Henderson was a big reason why we finished so high the first season. Wes has a big mistake in him too but like you said he’s earned his chance

Hi Stegosaurus here

Not looking good. Only 5 of those are PL level.

Imagine playing Robinson against the likes of Man City.

Priority has to be a keeper to replace League 1 Wes and a good striker.
Hi Stegosaurus.

One point to remember is that we're only going to be playing Man City twice in the league next season. I'm not sure that we've got the capacity to bring in someone who would be effective against them.

What we need is someone who can be effective against the less consistently excellent teams. Our survival isn't going to depend on whether we can go toe-to-toe with the top six; it's going to depend on whether we can take points from those around us.

Back
Top Bottom