Down memory Lane.....this day

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

September 25th 1971
Blades 1 (Scullion) Chelsea 0

Still top of the league 3 points ahead of Man U. Played 10 won 8 drew 2 lost 0 points 18!

Stewart Scullion saluting the Kop after his goal

10635958_324636131039659_8488824354675668865_n.jpg

Match reports

http://www.bounder.friardale.co.uk/Match Reports/1971/19710925.jpg

But when he was sold, United's record was P7 W1 D2 L4 F11 A20 pts 4. Despite Jones' goals, we were shipping goals at the other end (we had lost the 3 games before his sale 4-2. 4-2 and 5-2). Perhaps the crap defence would have seen us relegated?

Do we never learn?

Think I've mentioned it before but...

But when he was sold, United's record was P7 W1 D2 L4 F11 A20 pts 4. Despite Jones' goals, we were shipping goals at the other end (we had lost the 3 games before his sale 4-2. 4-2 and 5-2). Perhaps the crap defence would have seen us relegated?

So that defence (from memory) in 1967 - Hodgkinson, Badger, B. Shaw, ????? Mallender/ Matthewson, B. Wagstaff.

After many years of Hodgkinson, Coldwell, G.Shaw, Richardson, J. Shaw, Summers it took us several years to arrive at Hope, Badger, Hemsley, Flynn, Colqhoun, Hockey.

To bring it up to date how many years is it taking for us to replace Morgan and Jagielka?

September 25th 1971
Blades 1 (Scullion) Chelsea 0

Still top of the league 3 points ahead of Man U. Played 10 won 8 drew 2 lost 0 points 18!

Stewart Scullion saluting the Kop after his goal

10635958_324636131039659_8488824354675668865_n.jpg

Match reports

http://www.bounder.friardale.co.uk/Match Reports/1971/19710925.jpg

Great match. Given that it was to be the last game in our long unbeaten run, it almost certainly amounts to the pinnacle of the 51 years I've been going. It felt like living in a dream world at the time.

A Wednesday-supporting mate came to the game with us and he absolutely loved that side. A very fair-minded lad, he thought Currie was wonderful. I still see him for a pint every now and then and he won't have it that Sheffield has seen a better footballer in all his time watching (and he still goes to Hillsborough every week).

Mind you, he liked Peter Osgood as well. That miss! I can still see it now. I think it was the worst I've ever seen given that he was standing almost on the line and somehow managed to get it over the bar.

Great match. Given that it was to be the last game in our long unbeaten run, it almost certainly amounts to the pinnacle of the 51 years I've been going. It felt like living in a dream world at the time.

A Wednesday-supporting mate came to the game with us and he absolutely loved that side. A very fair-minded lad, he thought Currie was wonderful. I still see him for a pint every now and then and he won't have it that Sheffield has seen a better footballer in all his time watching (and he still goes to Hillsborough every week).

Mind you, he liked Peter Osgood as well. That miss! I can still see it now. I think it was the worst I've ever seen given that he was standing almost on the line and somehow managed to get it over the bar.

"Given that it was to be the last game in our long unbeaten run, it almost certainly amounts to the pinnacle of the 51 years I've been going"

Some of us thought that was the norm and still judge us on those performances.

Half time at home to the pigs under Blacky and half time against Hull both came close.

So that defence (from memory) in 1967 - Hodgkinson, Badger, B. Shaw, ????? Mallender/ Matthewson, B. Wagstaff.

Hodgy (41 league games in 67-68), Badger (42), B.Shaw (41), Mallender (36- SUSC player of the season), Matthewson (9 + 3 sub - went to Fulham in January), B.Wagstaff (19). Midfielders were Munks (41), Barlow (20), Carlin (33), Fenoughty (17) and Currie (13- his debut was end of February). Wingers Reece (35) and Woodward (32). Out of the strikers Hill made the most starts (24 with 6 goals), Addison (16- joined us in November and was injured in the Easter Saturday game at home to Everton which caused him to miss the rest of the season), Birchenall (17- left us end of November), Jones (8) and Cliff (7). Our League goalscorers were Reece (13), Woodward (6), Addison (6), Hill (6), Jones (4), Currie (4). Cliff, Carlin and B.Wagstaff got 2 each. Barlow, Birchenall, Fenoughty and B.Shaw got one each

September 28th 1974

Blades 1 (Woodward) Liverpool 0

I wish I was home for that weekend from boarding school instead of the previous weekend when we lost 5-1 at L**ds! I was never able to see footage of Woody's goal until I got the YTV 100 Blades goals 1968-1981 video in December 1993. More than 19 years of waiting before I eventually saw it!

The photo below was published in Shoot! a few weeks later. I can see my dad sitting in his usual seat on the front row of the BLUT bang in the middle of the space between "Kills cough" and "Head for Houseley's" adverts. In the video further below you can see the goal starting from 20 mins 11 secs

upload_2015-9-27_23-28-36.png

September 28th 1974

Blades 1 (Woodward) Liverpool 0

I wish I was home for that weekend from boarding school instead of the previous weekend when we lost 5-1 at L**ds! I was never able to see footage of Woody's goal until I got the YTV 100 Blades goals 1968-1981 video in December 1993. More than 19 years of waiting before I eventually saw it!

The photo below was published in Shoot! a few weeks later. I can see my dad sitting in his usual seat on the front row of the BLUT bang in the middle of the space between "Kills cough" and "Head for Houseley's" adverts. In the video further below you can see the goal starting from 20 mins 11 secs

After the game the press labelled Woody as 'The Executioner'.

5541446854_43d9084c52_z.jpg 14600364501_2bffc08f20_z.jpg

Ah, £1.10 for a seat at a top-league game.

I was talking to an old boy yesterday about how prices at football have 'rocketed'. I told him that I thought United's were still OK, but Wednesday were taking the piss. I reckon that a true fan will always find a (reasonable) sum to attend matches. I think more and more people are forsaking pubs as it's just getting too dear and would rather spend the money on footie.

I also told him that, when the New Stand :) opened, it was £3.50 a seat, exactly the same as I'd just paid for one drink.

£1.50 at current prices is £11.89. In 1975, the median hourly wage (in today's money values) was around £6. These days it is around £12. I.e. real wages have approximately doubled in the last 40 years.

The Ticket prices are now around double £11.89, so, as a percentage of the average wage, the ticket price at the Lane has more or less stayed constant. Of course, the quality of football hasn't :-(

Wednesday September 30th 1970.
Portsmouth 1 (Munks) Blades 5 (Dearden, Woodward 3, Reece)

Hodgkinson and Colquhoun were ruled out injured for the match so Graeme Crawford and Gil Reece came in with John Tudor playing in centre back.

GOAL - v Portsmouth (a) 30.9.70 Woodward's first in the 78th minute was a 25-yard drive which rose into the net past the helpless Milkins.
GOAL - v Portsmouth (a) 30.9.70. Seven minutes later Ley upended Dearden outside the Portsmouth penalty area, Barlow touched a short free kick to one side and Woodward drove fiercely into the net for his second goal.
ASSIST - v Portsmouth (a) 30.9.70. A minute later Woodward broke away again. Milkins dived at his feet and the ball rolled away for Reece to run forward and push it into the goal.
GOAL - v Portsmouth (a) 30.9.70. If Woodward had been robbed of his hat-trick then, there was no stopping him a minute from the final whistle when, once again he galloped off on his own before unleashing a tremendous shot.

In the photo below, during training at the Ball Inn, John Harris presents Woody the match ball for his hat trick scored in the above match

Saturday September 30th 1972

Blades 1 (Woodward pen) Man U 0

With 10 minutes left the ref decided not to award us a blatant penalty after Woody was crudely fouled in the penalty area which infuriated our players and our fans. Boos rang from all parts of the ground as Woody was having a lengthy treatment for his injury. In the last minute he awarded us a penalty after a corner was taken. Not one of our players appealed for the penalty and the Man U players were furious. Woody blasted in his spot kick. After the match Frank O'Farrell (Man U's manager) accused him of making two wrongs to make a right

GOAL - v Manchester United (h) 30.9.72. Certainly, Woodward's mean shot from the penalty spot smacked of a man who still felt the earlier injustice. Twelve minutes earlier Manchester United were lucky not to concede a more obvious penalty when Woodward was felled by Dunne.

In the photo below Woody celebrating his goal

upload_2015-9-30_0-18-56.png

Wednesday September 30th 1970.
Portsmouth 1 (Munks) Blades 5 (Dearden, Woodward 3, Reece)

Hodgkinson and Colquhoun were ruled out injured for the match so Graeme Crawford and Gil Reece came in with John Tudor playing in centre back.

GOAL - v Portsmouth (a) 30.9.70 Woodward's first in the 78th minute was a 25-yard drive which rose into the net past the helpless Milkins.
GOAL - v Portsmouth (a) 30.9.70. Seven minutes later Ley upended Dearden outside the Portsmouth penalty area, Barlow touched a short free kick to one side and Woodward drove fiercely into the net for his second goal.
ASSIST - v Portsmouth (a) 30.9.70. A minute later Woodward broke away again. Milkins dived at his feet and the ball rolled away for Reece to run forward and push it into the goal.
GOAL - v Portsmouth (a) 30.9.70. If Woodward had been robbed of his hat-trick then, there was no stopping him a minute from the final whistle when, once again he galloped off on his own before unleashing a tremendous shot.

In the photo below, during training at the Ball Inn, John Harris presents Woody the match ball for his hat trick scored in the above match
For some reason the photo was deleted so try again

upload_2015-9-30_0-20-38.png

66 years ago today 1949....Gatefold style programme which we had from 48 to 51.

United 1 QPR 1

With Hagan, Collindridge and Fred Smith unavailable, United fielded three inexperienced forwards, 20 year old debutant Gordon Williams, and two 19 year olds George Hutchinson and Arthur Bottom. Hutchinson scored early, but Rangers levelled on the stroke of half time. United's frustration began to grow as Rangers keeper Allen produced a couple of great saves to deny United. By the final whistle, the crowd voiced their displeasure by chanting 'We want Jimmy'.

That evening, The Green Un branded the players 'pathetic' with no technical skill.

So 66 years on, and the attitude towards the team is still the same :oops:

5764115837_be97b4f822_z.jpg

66 years ago today 1949....Gatefold style programme which we had from 48 to 51.

United 1 QPR 1

With Hagan, Collindridge and Fred Smith unavailable, United fielded three inexperienced forwards, 20 year old debutant Gordon Williams, and two 19 year olds George Hutchinson and Arthur Bottom. Hutchinson scored early, but Rangers levelled on the stroke of half time. United's frustration began to grow as Rangers keeper Allen produced a couple of great saves to deny United. By the final whistle, the crowd voiced their displeasure by chanting 'We want Jimmy'.

That evening, The Green Un branded the players 'pathetic' with no technical skill.

So 66 years on, and the attitude towards the team is still the same :oops:

View attachment 13751

'We want Jimmy.'

If we had to chant for a player today who would it be? Last season it would've been 'We want Collins.'

Oh dear just shows how far we've fallen

2nd October 44 years ago, 1971

It was mum's birthday, but the old man wasn't going to miss this and promised her fish and chips from the local chippy, off cemetary road I think, on his return. :D

He said the atmosphere was like no other, and of course the rest is history.

View attachment 13790 View attachment 13791
Never forgot the day. My dad already had tickets and we got in the ground early. 20,000 were estimated to be locked out of the ground. There were many Dronfield Blades who couldnt get in. Man U had underestimated the demand and didnt make the match all ticket.

I was heartbroken and in tears after George Best scored with 6 minutes left (Alan Gowling added a 2nd 2 minutes later)

October 3rd 1970 Blades 3 (Colquhoun, Dearden, Tudor) Wendy 2 (Craig or Colquhoun o.g., Sinclair)

ASSIST - v Sheffield Wednesday (h) 3.10.70. In the 7th minute United went one up with a fine headed goal by Colquhoun. Woodward's free kick was met firmly at the far post by Colquhoun and Grummitt was left helpless.

12048618_10154284415429418_1492533440_n.jpg

ASSIST - v Sheffield Wednesday (h) 3.10.70. In the 11th minute United scored a second and again it was a Woodward cross that did the damage. Dearden soared magnificently above his rivals to head down into the corner and well to the right of Grummitt's despairing dive.

12047422_10154284411899418_1889493553_n.jpg

Just after half time Wendy pulled one back with a soft goal after poor understanding in Blades defence. Some papers credited the goal to Tommy Craig, some said it was an own goal by Eddie Colquhoun. Not long after Jackie Sinclair levelled the scores after breaking away on the right and slotting the ball under Hodgy's dive. Then John Tudor came on as sub to replace Gil Reece and the photo below is Tudor's winning goal that went through Peter Grummitt's legs

10904215_10153548187829418_9992206_n.jpg

John celebrating his winner with lifelong Blade, Len Badger

10933350_10153548865369418_1545199116_n.jpg

October 3rd 1970 Blades 3 (Colquhoun, Dearden, Tudor) Wendy 2 (Craig or Colquhoun o.g., Sinclair)

ASSIST - v Sheffield Wednesday (h) 3.10.70. In the 7th minute United went one up with a fine headed goal by Colquhoun. Woodward's free kick was met firmly at the far post by Colquhoun and Grummitt was left helpless.

12048618_10154284415429418_1492533440_n.jpg

ASSIST - v Sheffield Wednesday (h) 3.10.70. In the 11th minute United scored a second and again it was a Woodward cross that did the damage. Dearden soared magnificently above his rivals to head down into the corner and well to the right of Grummitt's despairing dive.

12047422_10154284411899418_1889493553_n.jpg

Just after half time Wendy pulled one back with a soft goal after poor understanding in Blades defence. Some papers credited the goal to Tommy Craig, some said it was an own goal by Eddie Colquhoun. Not long after Jackie Sinclair levelled the scores after breaking away on the right and slotting the ball under Hodgy's dive. Then John Tudor came on as sub to replace Gil Reece and the photo below is Tudor's winning goal that went through Peter Grummitt's legs

10904215_10153548187829418_9992206_n.jpg

John celebrating his winner with lifelong Blade, Len Badger

10933350_10153548865369418_1545199116_n.jpg

Great photos. I remember it well. Beautiful sunny day and a crowd of 39,983. There were plenty of people over by the cricket pavilion.

I was on the John Street terrace. I'd be somewhere round about Gil Reece's head on the first picture. I've always loved derbies with Wednesday - the tension is almost palpable and this game was no exception.

We got off to a flyer and there were raucous chants of "easy, easy" after Bill Dearden put us two up (to the obvious delight of those kids at the front on the Kop in the photograph) but Wednesday fought back well early in the second half. Sinclair was a decent player on his day and his equaliser was a good goal.

But Tudor won the day. Gerry Young wasn't exactly a good-looking lad, was he?

Great photos. I remember it well. Beautiful sunny day and a crowd of 39,983. There were plenty of people over by the cricket pavilion.

I was on the John Street terrace. I'd be somewhere round about Gil Reece's head on the first picture. I've always loved derbies with Wednesday - the tension is almost palpable and this game was no exception.

We got off to a flyer and there were raucous chants of "easy, easy" after Bill Dearden put us two up (to the obvious delight of those kids at the front on the Kop in the photograph) but Wednesday fought back well early in the second half. Sinclair was a decent player on his day and his equaliser was a good goal.

But Tudor won the day. Gerry Young wasn't exactly a good-looking lad, was he?
I didnt see Tudor's shot enter the net thanks to the fans who stood up in front of me in the BLUT! I was a small 8 year old lad. As soon as Tudor got the ball in the penalty area every fan got up and through a small space I could see Grummitt looking over his shoulder watching the ball enter the net. At the time my dad thought it wasnt worth buying a ticket in advance or buying a season ticket. My dad didnt expect the BLUT to be sold out quickly for the home game against Luton in February 1971 and we had to sit in the old John Street stand. For the the home games for rest of the season my dad bought the tickets well in advance and they were always for the very front row. For the following season he decided to buy season tickets for the first time in his life!

Time to catch up:

October, 40 years go 1975.

Things just went from bad to worse. Eddie Colquhuon went off injured. Bob Hatton scored, Badger sent off, Tricky Trev adds a second. Not a good day.

5537329498_c3943d98e2_z.jpg

5th October 2002, 13 years ago, a 3-1 win at Molyneux, two for Tongue and one for the Chief.

5527401869_e85981866e_z.jpg 15611950328_29bc780217_m.jpg

and today 6th October 36 years ago 1979. Rotherham United 1-2 Sheffield United. Bourne and Butlin with the goals at Millmoor. Programme was in newspaper form, which a few clubs tried in the late seventies. They are a nightmare to store and to find in good condition.

5532185094_c87e00d1a9_z.jpg

Saturday October 7th 1972. Blades 1 (Dearden) Arsenal 0. Alan Ball sent off for two bookable offences for tripping TC and then Trevor Hockey. There had been no love lost between the Blades fans and Alan Ball (he said we were a glorified third division club after we beat Everton in the FA Cup in 1970 and in Jan 1972 he sat on the ball when Arsenal were leading us 5-0 at the Lane) and I never forgot the loud cheers by Blades fans after Ball got the marching orders. Ball responded by slow hand-clapping at the crowd

ASSIST - v Arsenal (h) 7.10.72. A great ball from Warboys sent Woodward away, and when he crossed low, new boy Blockley missed the ball, Dearden didn't, taking the ball in his stride to leave Barnett hopeless with a left foot shot.

upload_2015-10-7_6-27-12.png

A rare thing indeed.
He scored quite a few goals for Wendy. He was signed by Cardiff to replace John Toshack who had gone to Liverpool in Nov 1970. I remember watching Cardiff warm up at the Lane End just before the kick off (we beat them 5-1 that night). I was looking at Alan Warboys practise his shooting at the keeper and then there were boos ringing out from the crowd, Warboys smirked at the reception. My dad then said "we are booing him when his name was announced over the tannoy because he used to play for Wendy". He didnt play many games for us. He scored twice for Bristol Rovers in their 3-2 win at the Lane in Dec 1976 (ex-Blade, Dave Staniforth got the other goal for Rovers)

Back
Top Bottom