Down memory Lane.....this day

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Out of interest, when did clubs generally do away with the secretary's signature on the ticket?

Many clubs appeared to phase it out towards the end of the 80s. United maintained it until the end of 91/2 I believe.

The postscript to that buffoon, Bert may have not have been aware about.

Towards the end of the 2010/11 with the Blades virtually almost relegated, we played Middlesbrough at home, losing a game against a poor Boro side, where Brownie was treated to a 20 minute cameo from Benty who aimlessly swanned around the pitch with the regal air of a man who didn't give a flying fuck. Brownie was also in the advance state of refreshment, and not happy on two fronts due to a personal matter than was causing him stress, and seeing his beloved Blades slowly sinking in to the 3rd tier thanks to the efforts of players like Benty and his big pal Nugsy Nosworthy. Later on that evening reports reached Brownie that Benty and Nugsy were travelling back to London without a care in the world, both quaffing Champagne.

I can confirm that Nugsy and Hendo were down Eccy Road that evening, probably recalling how Hendo had contrived to miss two chances from the mighty distance of about 1 yard. I confess they didn't appear to be in much distress, what with all the laughing, and weren't too concerned about how much quaffing was being done, or the drinks bill as a matter of fact. I'm sure people will have their own views on this, unfortunately my personal opinion is not deemed appropriate on a public forum.

I would have been sat near you. I usually sat near the front of the BLUT for most of the home games in the 1970-71 season. From 1971-72 until 1976-77 I had a season ticket there and my seat was A 85 and the gangway was E (I think).

In the 1st half in the Lane End , Hodgy had a simple catch to make but he fumbled it and dropped the ball to John Galley who only had to tap in the opener. Early in the 2nd half there was a mix up in our penalty box and I think John Barnwell diverted a soft shot into our net. Soon after Gerry Gow hit a cross shot from the right but Hodgy failed to keep it out. My dad's reaction was of a dismayed shock as he stood up outstretching his arms mumbling "3-0???".

GOAL - v Bristol City (h) 5.9.70. Just after Gerry Gow had put Bristol City three up, three angry Blades fans were led out of the ground by a policeman. In the 67th minute Woodward brought the biggest cheer yet when he hit a glorious goal from the edge of the box.

With 5 minutes left Bill Deaden scored his first goal for the Blades diverting a low cross from the left. In injury time sub John Tudor hooked in a dramatic equaliser after a overhead cross by Ted Hemsley. See the reaction of the equaliser below

10647009_957748087573489_4409993097282021081_n.jpg

Great photo.

September 7th 1974. West Ham 1 (Billy Jennings) Blades 2 (Alan Woodward, Bill Dearden). The below is from my Woody's goals and assists

GOAL - v West Ham (a) 7.9.74. This memorable goal is what I would describe as "the goal that defied science". My dad had driven down to my boarding school in Newbury for that day and took me and my three schoolmates to Upton Park to watch the match. Just before we got in the ground the gale-force wind blew a match ticket out of my dad's hand and he had to chase after it for about thirty yards. West Ham were leading 1-0 at half time and United faced playing against the strong wind for the second half and even if we had won a penalty it would be an almighty struggle to have enough power to shoot past the goalkeeper. Even now my Norwich-supporting mate would still recall the goal Woody scored in the match.
Here is what Benny Hill (not the comedian!) wrote in the Morning Telegraph two days later: “Long after Alan Woodward has finished his playing career, the fans will be talking about the goals he scored for Sheffield United; the spectacular, the face saving, the dramatic. Rarely it seems, is he involved in the run-of-the-mill goal. Invariably there are moments of drama when his power and skill combine to smash the ball into the net. At Upton Park he pulled one out of the hat to celebrate his birthday and put United level in the 78th minute; it was a wonderful example of his ability to read an opportunity and to do something positive as it comes. Intercepting a short pass from Holland just inside the West Ham half, Woodward streaked through the centre to slam the ball from 25 yards past a startled Day. John Lyall, the new West Ham manager, put the incident in a nutshell when he told me; “You can't give Woodward chances like that: he's too good a player.”

'the goal that defied science' - great quote. reminds me of Baddiel and Skinner on fantasy football when they were taking on Kevin Costner in JFK, in reference to Geoff Thomas's miss against France that time. 'The trajectory of the ball from that position is not scientifically possible' or something to that effect.

here's the programme and another West Sham one, for good measure 52 years ago a 3-2 win, Wagstaff and Allchurch (2) with the goals
5541451574_076ff4e720_z.jpg 5544954722_028a665d16_z.jpg

I can confirm that Nugsy and Hendo were down Eccy Road that evening, probably recalling how Hendo had contrived to miss two chances from the mighty distance of about 1 yard.

One of Henderson's misses that day was noteworthy in that it directly led to my then 6 year old son swearing for the first time in his life.

Within a fraction of a second of Henderson putting a close range header over the bar, he threw his hands to his head and shouted "Fucking hell!". Contextually and stylistically it was a perfect start to his swearing career (which has thankfully stalled a little since) and the judges gave him extra credit for the sheer nerve of getting off the mark with a big old F bomb.

'the goal that defied science' - great quote. reminds me of Baddiel and Skinner on fantasy football when they were taking on Kevin Costner in JFK, in reference to Geoff Thomas's miss against France that time. 'The trajectory of the ball from that position is not scientifically possible' or something to that effect.

here's the programme and another West Sham one, for good measure 52 years ago a 3-2 win, Wagstaff and Allchurch (2) with the goals
View attachment 13207 View attachment 13208

That number 11 looks like he's having a bit of a tug.

A bit early but this was my favourite League Cup match. 8th September 1970 Blades 1 (Currie) L**ds 0. From the first minute we attacked and attacked. Tudor had a shot that hit the woodwork, we had several close chances and then the breakthrough came in the 2nd half when TC picked the ball up in the centre circle and set off a solo run before firing in a low shot past Gary Sprake (who had made several saves in the match). We even had a goal by Colin Addison that was disallowed. We were magnificent against a team that were feared by many top teams throughout Europe

THE GOAL

upload_2015-9-7_22-32-52.png

THE CELEBRATION OF THE GOAL

upload_2015-9-7_22-33-56.png

THE HEADLINES

upload_2015-9-7_22-30-54.png

A bit early but this was my favourite League Cup match. 8th September 1970 Blades 1 (Currie) L**ds 0. From the first minute we attacked and attacked. Tudor had a shot that hit the woodwork, we had several close chances and then the breakthrough came in the 2nd half when TC picked the ball up in the centre circle and set off a solo run before firing in a low shot past Gary Sprake (who had made several saves in the match). We even had a goal by Colin Addison that was disallowed. We were magnificent against a team that were feared by many top teams throughout Europe

THE GOAL

View attachment 13219

THE CELEBRATION OF THE GOAL

View attachment 13220

THE HEADLINES

View attachment 13218

Just under 30000 there and the atmosphere absolutely crackled all night. That quote from Eric Taylor says a lot but the one above it says even more:

"...it...showed that United are more than ready to grace the First Division once again. To merely say that United beat Leeds would be grossly unfair. From the first whistle they pulverised them."

That's how I remember it. Leeds had their full-strength side out - including Mick Jones who got a great reception - but United were on top throughout. Currie's goal was superb. Leeds pressed for an equaliser but the defence was equal to it. Hodgy made a brilliant save late on (to which Mick Jones paid a typically generous tribute afterwards), tipping a point-blank effort over the bar in front of the Kop to a huge roar of relief.

We had some ups and downs during the rest of the season but from that night on you could really believe in that team.

The programme from the Leeds game.
5506673204_944d995d44_z.jpg

and a couple of other noteworthy ones from this day in history.

64 years ago 1951. Boxing Day? No....... this was a proper hammering 7-3 to the Blades.

And 50 years ago today, a 0-0 draw at Craven Cottage, but which first was achieved?
5775562709_48e0af3560_z.jpg 5460269248_d669e7084b_z.jpg

That's how I remember it. Leeds had their full-strength side out - including Mick Jones who got a great reception -

Jones captained L**ds that night. Paul Reaney broke his leg, which caused him to miss World Cup 1970, at West Ham in March and I assume he wasnt ready to come back into the team. Johhny Giles was out injured too. Their team was Sprake, Madeley, Cooper, Bremner, Charlton, Hunter, Lorimer, Clarke, Jones, Bates and Gray with Belfitt sub. Our team was Hodgkinson, Badger, Hemsley, Powell, Colquhoun, Addison, Woodward, Tudor, Dearden, Currie and Reece with Salmons the sub.

Any particular reason?

With regards to secretaries signatures on tickets and their demise, couldn't say for sure but somebody messaged me last night with as good as answer as any I expect.

'I would hazard a guess that originally the signature was intended to be an anti-forgery measure but as printing and copying technology progressed this became redundant and clubs preferred to use embedded features such as watermarks (and more recently barcodes or microchips) in the tickets'.

View attachment 13207 View attachment 13208

weren't those West Ham programmes from the mid 70s tiny things about half the dimensions of anyone else's programmes (but obviously a bit thicker)?

With regards to secretaries signatures on tickets and their demise, couldn't say for sure but somebody messaged me last night with as good as answer as any I expect.

'I would hazard a guess that originally the signature was intended to be an anti-forgery measure but as printing and copying technology progressed this became redundant and clubs preferred to use embedded features such as watermarks (and more recently barcodes or microchips) in the tickets'.

Ah cheers mate. I were just curious, and that makes sense.

Today 9th September, another twosome. One awesome, one gruesome.
26 years ago 1989 Blades edge a 9 goal thriller against Brighton. 9 years ago Blackburn and 'how not to take a penalty', ...twice :(
5495445012_984b6d6e59_z.jpg 5616966939_96fb3de7db_z.jpg

Today 9th September, another twosome. One awesome, one gruesome.
26 years ago 1989 Blades edge a 9 goal thriller against Brighton. 9 years ago Blackburn and 'how not to take a penalty', ...twice :(
View attachment 13247 View attachment 13248

That Blackburn game was my fault. I didn't look for either.

I've looked for every one since, lesson learned.

By God, funny old game football, I still feel guilty for United not winning that game today.

Yes, He scored our third and fifth. I was at Blackpool that weekend but took the train to Sheffield and back to watch the match and it was worth it!

My abiding memory of the game is when it was a 3-4, Deane and a Brighton defender were chasing a high through ball, when the Brighton goalie came for the ball as well and he and the defender collided as the ball sailed on with Deane, now alone, jogging after it. Around 12 yards out, the ball was coming to land and Deane could have trapped it and tapped it in. He decided to take it on the volley and ballooned it over the empty goal :-(

I thought that was it, but it all turned out well in the end.

My abiding memory of the game is when it was a 3-4, Deane and a Brighton defender were chasing a high through ball, when the Brighton goalie came for the ball as well and he and the defender collided as the ball sailed on with Deane, now alone, jogging after it. Around 12 yards out, the ball was coming to land and Deane could have trapped it and tapped it in. He decided to take it on the volley and ballooned it over the empty goal :-(

I thought that was it, but it all turned out well in the end.
I remember that sitter very well!

One of my favourite games ever. We went top after winning, and stayed there till early December.

Back
Top Bottom