Down memory Lane.....this day

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Sharrowblade

Reaction score
Morning all, I know this has probably been done before, but given the new season only a couple of weeks away, thought I'd post a programme from a Blades game from the past on each day for the forthcoming season. May stir up a few memories for a lot of you....

12 years ago today - July 17th 2001

A 7-0 win in a pre-season friendly at Sheffield Club, with goals from Pesch, Noddy, Jags, Tyrone Thompson and an Asaba hat-trick. Can't beat a bit of subbuteo on the cover neither.

5616315975_18ac292d1b_z.jpg

The following season (pre season 2002/03) I was playing for SFC and remember that the United side brought to the Coach and Horses comprised mainly of the youth team. I was devastated, having been excited about coming up against my heroes.

A few weeks into the season, Wednesday brought a very strong team with several first teamers (Owusu, Di Piedi, Simon Donnelly, Tony Crane et al). I got run ragged by Jon Beswetherick. :eek:

14 years ago today.....18th July 1999

East Fife 0-4 Sheffield United

Devlin (2), Kozzy and Woodhouse with the goals

Team: Tracey, Quinn, Kozluk, Woodhouse, Murphy, Sandford, Hamilton, Derry, Devlin, Katchouro, Morris, Subs: Kelly, Angeli, Hunt, Ford, Jacobsen, Burley

5691032747_63d4506c44_z.jpg

Down to the west country for todays offering:

9 years ago today.....July 19th 2004

A 5-2 win for the Blades against Tavistock Town, 3-0 up in 10 minutes. Goalscorers included Jack Lester (2), Ashley Ward, Quinn and Daley

Team: Barnes, Francis, Bromby, Howey, Harley, Quinn, McCall, Monty, Forte, Ward, Lester
Subs: Ross, Whelan, Liddell, Daley

5662388099_c62f29edff_z.jpg

38 years ago today 20th July 1975...

You certainly earn some brownie points if you went to this one.

L'Etoile Sportive v United at Sousse, Tunisia

A match that Ken Furphy would later blame for his demise and the clubs fortunes. United had been invited to play the opening match at a new stadium in Sousse, Tunisia. Furphy was against it, claiming that the players weren't properly conditioned. But the Club, accepted because it was £10,000 to them. In the event, United lost 4-1, Tony Field scoring our goal, in front of 10,000. Furphy blamed this fixture for the fact that a number of players were carrying injuries for the start of the season.
The rest is history, from european contenders to relegation certainties in a matter of months..

Team: Brown, Badger, Bradford, Eddy, Faulkner, Hemsley, Woodward, Speight, Guthrie, Currie, Field
Subs: Dearden, Hill, Furphy (Keith)
5776732943_0d0d380c26.jpg

One of the subs, Roy Hill, never played in a competitive 1st team match for us before transferring to S6 in 1976 and I dont think he played for their 1st team too

7 years Ago..........July 21st 2006

Inverness Caledonian 0-3 Sheffield United
Ross Tokely Testimonial
Attendance: 2,232
Goalscorers: Akinbiyi (2), A.Quinn

Team: Kenny, Kozluk, Unsworth, Davis, Lucketti, Jags, Ifill, Tonge, Akinbiyi, Webber, Quinn
Subs: Monty, D.Ward, Geary, Morgs, Kabba, Shipperley, S.Quinn, Gyaki

Wow! Akinbiyi with a double.
9334912992_5899e28460.jpg

39 years ago today....July 22nd 1974

A 2-2 draw in Poland (3rd match of 4) as United play Gornik Zabreze.
Billy Dearden and Keith Eddy with the goals.

Team:Brown, Badger, Hemsley, Franks, Colquhoun, Speight, Woodward, Eddy, Dearden, Currie, Field
Subs: Goulding, Nicholl, Bradford

5540608369_96e0d85dc9.jpg

One of the subs, Roy Hill, never played in a competitive 1st team match for us before transferring to S6 in 1976 and I dont think he played for their 1st team too

He did play one game in the county cup in 75-76 if that counts....

38 years ago today 20th July 1975...

You certainly earn some brownie points if you went to this one.

L'Etoile Sportive v United at Sousse, Tunisia

A match that Ken Furphy would later blame for his demise and the clubs fortunes. United had been invited to play the opening match at a new stadium in Sousse, Tunisia. Furphy was against it, claiming that the players weren't properly conditioned. But the Club, accepted because it was £10,000 to them. In the event, United lost 4-1, Tony Field scoring our goal, in front of 10,000. Furphy blamed this fixture for the fact that a number of players were carrying injuries for the start of the season.
The rest is history, from european contenders to relegation certainties in a matter of months..

Team: Brown, Badger, Bradford, Eddy, Faulkner, Hemsley, Woodward, Speight, Guthrie, Currie, Field
Subs: Dearden, Hill, Furphy (Keith)
View attachment 6050

Why is James Brown on the cover?

Did they think our goalie was one and the same person as the Godfather of Soul?

Why is James Brown on the cover?

Did they think our goalie was one and the same person as the Godfather of Soul?

That would have been class. In the last minute of games, getting the physio to come on and put a cape on Jim Brown as he hobbled off, just for him to come back on.

Its a good question. Since 63' the Tunisians held a music festival in the roman ampitheatre at Carthage, which nowadays is a part of Tunis. It lasted a month or so. Its still held to this day. I understand that James Brown was the headliner this year, and this game was part of the festivities.

There is no confirmation that the 'Godfather of Soul' was any good at football, despite the cover depicting him volleying the ball like Hans Krankl. Lets just hope he was better than Diana Ross :)

39 years ago today....July 22nd 1974

A 2-2 draw in Poland (3rd match of 4) as United play Gornik Zabreze.
Billy Dearden and Keith Eddy with the goals.

Team:Brown, Badger, Hemsley, Franks, Colquhoun, Speight, Woodward, Eddy, Dearden, Currie, Field
Subs: Goulding, Nicholl, Bradford

View attachment 6062

That is a photo of the Poland v Haiti match in the 1974 World Cup and Gornik's star striker, Andrzej Szarmach is the Poland striker challenging the keeper. He scored 5 goals during the tournament. His striker partner, Grzegorz Lato, scored 7

I remember Lato getting chopped down in his own half during the World Cup in 1978 by Peru's Ramon Quiroga.

Quiroga got a yellow card for the challenge, had to really, as he was the Peruvian Keeper :D

Definately, worth watching again.

14 years ago today.........July 23rd 1999

Sheffield United 0-2 Chelsea

A pre season friendly at the Lane.

The cover depicts 2 of football's tactical genuises going head to head. Vialli and errrr.......Heath.

With a Chelsea's midfield that consisted of the likes of Deschamps, Poyet, Desailly and Zola it wasn't surprising that they came out on top.

Team: Kelly, Kozluk, Quinn, Woodhouse, Murphy, Sandford, Hamilton, Derry, Devlin, Katchouro, Hunt
Subs: Ford, Tracey, Jacobsen, Vilanakis, Burley, Conteh

5691035037_ce4584615f.jpg

Brilliant, Silent.

haven't seen that for ages :D

Missed yesterday as I was away, so better late than never:

11 years ago ....July 24th 2002

A 3-0 win for the Blades with goals from Noddy (2) and Kozluk

5618234247_1ff055d206(1).jpg

26 years ago today......July 25th 1987

Chesterfield 1-1 Sheffield United (Pre Season friendly)

Richard Cadette and Andy Leaning make their first appearances for the club.

From The Star (Tony Pritchett)
United and Chesterfield drew 1-1 at Saltergate on saturday in a match that neither Billy McEwan nor Kevin Randell could have been particularly enjoyed. McEwan may have been satisfied up to half time. United looked comfortable and new signing Cadette laid on a fine goal for Dempsey (12 mins) while his new goalkeeper Leaning was one of the unemployed. But, Leaning was well beaten by Caldwell in the first attack after half time and from then on Chesterfield were transformed. United should have restored their authority but Morris missed, Kuhl hit the bar and Cadette failed with a straight forward header

5601093007_65dbe8c8ac.jpg

13years ago today......July 26th 2000

A genuine hard to come by programme, for United's youth team visit to Westbury United in Wiltshire.

The last one that came up on ebay went for £30, which is quite staggering for a modern issue.

The first team were playing at Bodmin on the same evening.

United's youngsters drew 2-2 and they took the following squad:
Travers, Browne, Nugent, Jenkinson, Glarvey, Wood, Tonge, Killeen, Hurrell, Ferguson, Hazell, Jones, Handley, Colvin, Mallon, Fayenuwo, Crutchley, Featherstone, Walton, Sloane, Purkiss

5691052185_53cd5d0ac9.jpg

Sorry, just got back from York.

23 years ago today...July 27th 1990

First game of a Scandinavian Tour.

Kramfors 1-5 United (Paul Wood (3), Whitehouse, Bryson)

Team: Tracey, Pemberton, Barnes, Hill, Stancliffe, Beesley, Bradshaw, Hoyland, Whitehurst, Wood, Whitehouse.
Subs: Booker, Bryson, Deane, Gannon, Pauckstadt
5587826895_276b95170c.jpg

4 years ago today.....July 28th 2009

Lincoln City 0-2 United (Pre-season friendly)

Leigh Bromby scores for the third consecutive game and Glen Little scores his first for the Blades.

The programme cover depicts the classic Lincoln design from the early 50s which on closer inspection gives the impression of the player giving the Imp a right good kicking :D

Team:Bennett, Bromby, Morgan, Kilgallon, Taylor, France, Monty, Hendrie, Treacy, Robertson, Ward
Subs: Haber, Roe, Little, Howard, Quinn, Reid, Cotterill, Brown

5578554962_9d99b9dd46.jpg

Today 41 years ago.....July 29th 1972

A 3-0 win away at Notts County in the Watney Cup in front of 14,405

Woody and Currie (2) with the goals

Team: McAllister, Badger, Helmsley, Mackenzie, Colquhoun, Hockey, Woodward, Salmons, Dearden, Currie, Scullion
Sub: Ogden
5520920134_9eec865f24.jpg

Today 41 years ago.....July 29th 1972

A 3-0 win away at Notts County in the Watney Cup in front of 14,405

Woody and Currie (2) with the goals

Team: McAllister, Badger, Helmsley, Mackenzie, Colquhoun, Hockey, Woodward, Salmons, Dearden, Currie, Scullion
Sub: Ogden
View attachment 6134

There is footage of the goals from that game on the old BBC United compilation video (which I have).

Sadly no-one had put it on youtube (and I wouldn't have the faintest idea how to do so).

26 years ago today......July 25th 1987

Chesterfield 1-1 Sheffield United (Pre Season friendly)

Richard Cadette and Andy Leaning make their first appearances for the club.

From The Star (Tony Pritchett)
United and Chesterfield drew 1-1 at Saltergate on saturday in a match that neither Billy McEwan nor Kevin Randell could have been particularly enjoyed. McEwan may have been satisfied up to half time. United looked comfortable and new signing Cadette laid on a fine goal for Dempsey (12 mins) while his new goalkeeper Leaning was one of the unemployed. But, Leaning was well beaten by Caldwell in the first attack after half time and from then on Chesterfield were transformed. United should have restored their authority but Morris missed, Kuhl hit the bar and Cadette failed with a straight forward header

View attachment 6089

I used to work with Kevin Randall's wife (she has retired about 10 years ago) and whenever I bump into Kevin and Eileen, we would have a chat. last time was a few months ago and Kevin wasnt attached to any club since Warnock got the boot at L**ds

There is footage of the goals from that game on the old BBC United compilation video (which I have).

Sadly no-one had put it on youtube (and I wouldn't have the faintest idea how to do so).

I was at the game and at the time I thought the Watney Cup was going to be a Major competition. How naive I was!

Agree with you, Dazzler, that we need a Blade who is an expert on putting in the BBC (and YTV) compilation videos into YouTube just like the one who has his own channel "W*****day's vintage videos"

I used to work with Kevin Randall's wife (she has retired about 10 years ago) and whenever I bump into Kevin and Eileen, we would have a chat. last time was a few months ago and Kevin wasnt attached to any club since Warnock got the boot at L**ds

Oddly enough, Silent, now that you mention it.

10 years ago today....29th July 2003. A 1-0 win for the Blades.

5613757646_40566cfa9e.jpg

Oddly enough, Silent, now that you mention it.

10 years ago today....29th July 2003. A 1-0 win for the Blades.

View attachment 6138

Chris Morgan was the scorer. It was my first time in seeing the Blades beat Chesterfield! It was my 8th match seeing the fixture between the two teams and we had lost all the first seven. My first one was the 1-0 friendly defeat in Jan 1971 (ex-Blade, Tom Fenoughty scored in the 1st minute in Alan Hodgkinson's last ever 1st team game for us). We won only 3 competitive matches against Chesterfield since the 1950s until 2003. I was at boarding school when we won the League Cup game in Sept 74. I was at my football club committee meeting when we won the league match by 2-0 in August 1980 and I was playing in a football match when we won 3-1 in April 1983

28 years ago today......July 30th 1985

Skegness Town 0-3 Sheffield United 3

Edwards, Morris and Foley on the scoresheet.

Back in the 80s no pre-season would be complete without a trip to Skeggy.

Team: Burridge, McGeeney, Kenworthy, Foley, McNaught, Thompson, Morris, Cockerill, Edwards, Lewington, Bolton
Subs: Stancliffe, P.Smith

5576577036_fc66a3bc6a.jpg

34 years ago today.....July 31st 1979

Anglo Scottish Cup Group stage.

Sheffield United 1-0 Mansfield Town

United won all three group stage matches this season 1-0. Duggie Brown with the winner on this occasion.

Ultimately, we crashed out at the semi final stage against the mighty St Mirren.

Team: Conroy, Speight, Tibbott, Kenworthy, MacPhail, Matthews, Flood, Benjamin, Guy, Brown, Garner

5528121776_1c9079f593.jpg

Back
Top Bottom