Down memory Lane.....this day

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

September 11th 1971. Blades 2 (Dearden, Scullion) Spurs 2 (Peters, Gilzean) 40,000 plus crowd, top of the league. Spurs score their goals in the last minute of each half.

Goals can be seen below starting from 2:05

September 11th 1971. Blades 2 (Dearden, Scullion) Spurs 2 (Peters, Gilzean) 40,000 plus crowd, top of the league. Spurs score their goals in the last minute of each half.

Goals can be seen below starting from 2:05

That Gilzean goal felt like a dagger through the heart.

I love the Denis Law goal that kicks off the compilation.

My abiding memory of the game is when it was a 3-4, Deane and a Brighton defender were chasing a high through ball, when the Brighton goalie came for the ball as well and he and the defender collided as the ball sailed on with Deane, now alone, jogging after it. Around 12 yards out, the ball was coming to land and Deane could have trapped it and tapped it in. He decided to take it on the volley and ballooned it over the empty goal :-(

I thought that was it, but it all turned out well in the end.

I have the whole game on VHS - keep meaning to loan it to Walthy so he can digitise it.

September 15th 1973 Spurs 1 (Chivers) Blades 2 (Woodward, Bone). In the space of two weeks we won 2-1 at Chelsea, thrashed Arsenal 5-0 and then beat another big London club by 2-1 at White Hart Lane. I admit that I cursed myself for passing my 11 plus to go to a boarding school and missing all three big wins!

GOAL - v Spurs (a) 15.9.73. Woodward scored to complete 100 League goals for the club, and although he has certainly scored many more spectacular goals, I question whether he has shown such remarkable skill and calmness as he did for this one. Tottenham's defence got itself into a mess and Salmons was quick to pick up a loose ball and push it to Woodward out on the left inside the penalty area. The winger had an opponent with him, Jennings coming out and with almost no room Woodward curved the ball cleverly across the front of Jennings and watched it clip the foot of an upright and bounce gently over the line. Sir Alf Ramsey, a man not often known to show his appreciation, was at the match and he was overheard commenting to somebody at half time that Woodward's goal was "magnificent".

img0511.jpg

Good work Silent, nice to see, whilst i've been away:

So here's the gaps plugged:

September 12th, 1978. Rare testimonial programme between Norton Woodseats and United.

Who remembers standing on that big cliff they had back then,.....did anyone fall off it.

United won 2-0

5475089708_0b59f283e6_z.jpg

September 13th: 1988

We won the cup, we won the cup, ee aye addio we won the cup.

Yorkshire and Humberside Cup Final.

5589778649_8bb15cc5c4_z.jpg

September 14th: 1991. United 2-1 Everton.

Prolific goalscorer Jamie Hoyland scores his 1st goal in 29 games with Bryson netting the winner.

5535449399_7929d9314b_z.jpg

And finally back to today: Can't say that the two programmes are the best condition I've ever seen 1973, Silent's choice is the 2-1 win at White Hart Lane. The programme size back then lent itself to supporters folding them, whereas the United one, v Fulham in 65 is one of the era 62-66 where despite being in the city steel we failed to find any decent staples and many programmes from that era are afflicted by the dreaded rusty staple syndrome. For the record it was a goal-less draw, but was noteworthy as having an Athletics race take place before kick-off.

5524114411_6c7e5f4d9b_z.jpg 5460258962_54675cf866_z.jpg

12 years ago today...16th September 2003. The Millers are cushed 5-0. Tonge,... Pesch and Noddy with a couple each.

5611651334_9f9ac884c4_z.jpg 16055521856_2a289055b2_z.jpg

September 17th..... 4 years ago. 2011

Colchester eh!

A 3-0 win to the Blades, Ched, Porter and Quinny with the goals.

6157643415_bf082834f3_z.jpg 15331825283_e225775117_z.jpg

18th September 1971. Leicester 0 Blades 1 (Woodward). Still top of the league. An unforgettable day. I was sat on the other end at the right side of the tv cameras. After we had scored I asked my dad who was it that scored and he replied "Woodward", at that time (I was 9 year old) I had not known of anyone else scoring a goal from a corner and I didnt think it was possible!

Not quite 'On this day in history' but, watching Bournemouth on MotD last night, I delved into the history books for this one - just over 3 years ago:

League Division One. Saturday September 1st 2012.

Sheffield United 5 v 3 Bournemouth
Flynn (2), Cofie,
Cresswell,
Blackman (p)

Att. 18,790

A 'sad-faced' emoticon hardly covers it...:(

September 20th 1997. 18 years ago

Its all action at the Manor Ground, as United lead thro Deane within the opening 20 seconds, who then misses a penalty. Tracey then saves a penalty, and then Oxford have Bobby Ford sent off as United prevail 4-2.
5684884259_ac092b0e19_z.jpg

Friday September 22nd 1967.

The day we sold Mick Jones to L**ds.

I was only 5 then and not into football yet but I remember years later my dad telling me that he was gutted that we sold Jones to L**ds. There were many Blades fans who went to the ground protesting at the sale of our star player. I read in Keith Farnsworth's book of "Football in Sheffield" that the club were willing to turn down the £100K offer from L**ds but what probably made Dick Wragg accept the offer was that one of the L**ds directors would vote him into the FA International Committee. Looking at the Morning Telegraph Archives at the Central Library some years ago I saw a photo of a glum looking John Harris (with his arms folded) speaking to the press outside the players entrance at John Street which summed up the anger felt by him and the Blades fans

The below is from http://www.mightyleeds.co.uk/index.htm

On 22 September, Don Revie smashed the club's transfer record by paying Sheffield United £100,000 for 22-year-old Mick Jones, the holder of two full England caps. Jones had scored 63 goals in 149 games for the Blades and the move outraged Bramall Lane boss John Harris, who complained "it would be the biggest mistake the club had ever made." He came close to resigning over the affair.

Revie had been trailing Jones for a year, but had continually been given short shrift. However, Sheffield had reinforced their midfield by buying Willie Carlin from Carlisle United for £40,000 and the money from the Jones deal was needed to balance the books. Revie was delighted to have got his man, though new chairman Albert Morris claimed it was "a heck of a lot of money to pay for a player."

Jones himself claimed, "I cannot say that I am glad to leave Sheffield, but it was too good an offer to refuse. I don't want to leave my colleagues or the loyal supporters at Sheffield. I hope the Leeds crowd will be as good to me." It was a muted commitment to the Elland Road cause, but Jones' hard working displays quickly won him a fan base in the West Riding.

I was only 5 then and not into football yet but I remember years later my dad telling me that he was gutted that we sold Jones to L**ds. There were many Blades fans who went to the ground protesting at the sale of our star player. I read in Keith Farnsworth's book of "Football in Sheffield" that the club were willing to turn down the £100K offer from L**ds but what probably made Dick Wragg accept the offer was that one of the L**ds directors would vote him into the FA International Committee. Looking at the Morning Telegraph Archives at the Central Library some years ago I saw a photo of a glum looking John Harris (with his arms folded) speaking to the press outside the players entrance at John Street which summed up the anger felt by him and the Blades fans

On 22 September, Don Revie smashed the club's transfer record by paying Sheffield United £100,000 for 22-year-old Mick Jones, the holder of two full England caps. Jones had scored 63 goals in 149 games for the Blades and the move outraged Bramall Lane boss John Harris, who complained "it would be the biggest mistake the club had ever made." He came close to resigning over the affair.

Revie had been trailing Jones for a year, but had continually been given short shrift. However, Sheffield had reinforced their midfield by buying Willie Carlin from Carlisle United for £40,000 and the money from the Jones deal was needed to balance the books. Revie was delighted to have got his man, though new chairman Albert Morris claimed it was "a heck of a lot of money to pay for a player."

Jones himself claimed, "I cannot say that I am glad to leave Sheffield, but it was too good an offer to refuse. I don't want to leave my colleagues or the loyal supporters at Sheffield. I hope the Leeds crowd will be as good to me." It was a muted commitment to the Elland Road cause, but Jones' hard working displays quickly won him a fan base in the West Riding.

I was nine at the time and I was really upset. Mick Jones had scored in my first ever game three years previously and was the only United centre forward I'd ever known. I used to stand right at the front back then, on the railings directly behind the goal, and from that angle he looked like a Superman, jumping higher than the crossbar when he went up for a cross. And he was hugely popular with the crowd.

A lad a few years older than me who lived across the road told me about the fans who had gone down to the ground and made their feelings known and I went to the game with Newcasle the following day not really knowing what to expect. There was a pretty hostile atmosphere. The supporters knew who to blame and Dick Wragg was booed when he took his place in the Directors' Box. All afternoon, there were chants of "send Dick Wragg to Vietnam" (to the tune of "Michael row the boat ashore"). At least we won and Willie Carlin had a fine game and scored on his debut but, as you can imagine, the talk on the way home was of how good it would have been to have him and Mick Jones in the same team.

Those comments from Jones were typical of him. He remained hugely popular with the United faithful despite playing for big local rivals. Whenever Leeds came on TV after that - which was often - my dad made the point that he was a complete contrast to his new team mates in that he always conducted himself in a sporting and gentlemanly way.

Did Birchenall go before or after Jones?

No like for this post, Silent. I'm still fuming about it :mad:

I was 12, firstly extremely upset and then very angry.

It was the first time I'd felt betrayed by the Board but of course found out pretty soon it wouldn't be the last.

There is no question in my mind that we could have built a fantastic side around Mick. TC was only just round the corner and Woody coming into his prime.

What a short sighted decision it was. John Harris knew that as well.

Selling Mick Jones was like experiencing a death in the family. Admittedly I was young but I can't recall being as upset about the sale of a player as I was that day.

Opposite to where we lived was a wall and I had acquired some wax type chalks (no idea where I'd got them from). One evening 48 years ago I covered this wall with my own Mick Jones Tribute. My one and only attempt at graffiti.
Anyhow next day the neighbours went ape....and although my dad was impressed by my efforts my mother gave me a right bollocking and I had to spend far too much time cleaning it off with hot soapy water.

Interestingly if Chelsea had come in for Birchenall before Leeds made their offer for Mick Jones would we have turned Leeds down. It's been pointed out TC was just round the corner. Just imagine Woody, TC, Willie Carlin and Mick Jones. My first experience of relegation in 1968 may never have occurred.

Sliding doors and all that......

Catch up time.

21st: 2004. 11 years ago. League Cup v Wrexham A 3-2 win with Andy Gray (2) and Jags getting the goals. A programme that doesn't come up too often.
5481535327_26650064f0_z.jpg

22nd September: 53 years ago 38,000 plus come to watch United humble the great spurs side of the early 60s 3-1. Hodgson, Allchurch, Kettleborough get the goals.

5630754976_30ac8cf20d_z.jpg

23rd September. 40 years ago. 1975. First win of the season . 2-1 against Burnley. Goals for Guthrie, and Field. Victory had ended a run of seven consecutive defeats. Had we turned the corner? Apparently not, as United don't win another league game until 14th February :eek: :(

5537326560_3ec84f28ca_z.jpg

Today: 24th September 19 years ago. 1996. Not a pleasant memory today I'm afraid. The week before United got outplayed in the 1st Leg of this League Cup tie, and were indebted to Alan Kelly for keeping the score down to 2-1 to county. The programme cover for the 2nd Leg, depicted the words 'Katch me if you can'. Unfortunately, County did, and then some as United lose 5-2.

5659236984_97ae611793_z.jpg

Just imagine Woody, TC, Willie Carlin and Mick Jones. My first experience of relegation in 1968 may never have occurred.

I don't think "may" is the right word. There's always the possibility of injury, of course, but I think it's safe to say that, barring serious injury, that relegation would not have happened if we'd kept Mick Jones. In the previous two seasons he'd scored 36 goals in 73 league games, as near as damn it a 50% strike rate, and he'd kept that up with 4 in the first 8 games of the 1967-68 season. There were 34 games left when he was sold. Mick Hill replaced him and scored 6. An ever-present Jones, scoring at his usual rate, would have contributed a further 17. Even if he'd missed a few games - he'd missed a total of nine in the previous two seasons - and not quite kept up his strike-rate he'd still have contributed several more goals than Hill did and we were only just relegated. It went to the last game.

I don't think "may" is the right word. There's always the possibility of injury, of course, but I think it's safe to say that, barring serious injury, that relegation would not have happened if we'd kept Mick Jones. In the previous two seasons he'd scored 36 goals in 73 league games, as near as damn it a 50% strike rate, and he'd kept that up with 4 in the first 8 games of the 1967-68 season. There were 34 games left when he was sold. Mick Hill replaced him and scored 6. An ever-present Jones, scoring at his usual rate, would have contributed a further 17. Even if he'd missed a few games - he'd missed a total of nine in the previous two seasons - and not quite kept up his strike-rate he'd still have contributed several more goals than Hill did and we were only just relegated. It went to the last game.

But when he was sold, United's record was P7 W1 D2 L4 F11 A20 pts 4. Despite Jones' goals, we were shipping goals at the other end (we had lost the 3 games before his sale 4-2. 4-2 and 5-2). Perhaps the crap defence would have seen us relegated?

But when he was sold, United's record was P7 W1 D2 L4 F11 A20 pts 4. Despite Jones' goals, we were shipping goals at the other end (we had lost the 3 games before his sale 4-2. 4-2 and 5-2). Perhaps the crap defence would have seen us relegated?

But we had that defence all season and nearly avoided relegation. It would only have taken a slight improvement in the goals scored column for us to stay up and the very strong likelihood is that the retention of Mick Jones would have done the trick.

But we had that defence all season and nearly avoided relegation. It would only have taken a slight improvement in the goals scored column for us to stay up and the very strong likelihood is that the retention of Mick Jones would have done the trick.
Probably would have been 3-0 up in the home game against Fulham? A 3-3 draw rather than 2-3 defeat would have saved us!

I reckon Mick scored 50 goals for United before he was 21.

Why on earth would you sell a diamond like that ?

Back
Top Bottom