Down memory Lane.....this day

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Three of Tudor's goals for us in 1970-71 were headers (home against Carlisle, Oxford and Portsmouth) from close range. I started watching the Blades regularly from January 1970 so bornablade is probably right that the header you are thinking about id in either 1968-69 (more likely) or 1969-70 season

Just looked it up in an old scrapbook and the John Tudor header from the edge of the box was against Preston at the BL end on November 23rd 1968.
He scored 2 goals that day in a 4-0 win. There was a brilliant own goal from McNab. Alan Kelly snr. was in goal for Preston. It was Tudor's home debut, he'd scored 2 the previous week at Bury.

Attendance was 15.969. I am sure the game is on a Blades video - the one produced by YTV. Danny Blanchflower commentating.

Just looked it up in an old scrapbook and the John Tudor header from the edge of the box was against Preston at the BL end on November 23rd 1968.
He scored 2 goals that day in a 4-0 win. There was a brilliant own goal from McNab. Alan Kelly snr. was in goal for Preston. It was Tudor's home debut, he'd scored 2 the previous week at Bury.

Attendance was 15.969. I am sure the game is on a Blades video - the one produced by YTV. Danny Blanchflower commentating.
See 44 mins 5 secs in below video. More near the penalty spot rather than edge of the box.

The photo on the Green Un front page was the first goal at the Kop End (42 mins 40 secs in below video)

See 44 mins 5 secs in below video. More near the penalty spot rather than edge of the box.

The photo on the Green Un front page was the first goal at the Kop End (42 mins 40 secs in below video)

You're right Silent - it wasn't from the edge of the box. May be there was another headed goal that Tudor scored from the edge of the box.

Must admit, miss them old halftime scoreboards with the letters. :)

Me too, remember that bloke coming out of the old pavilion every 15 minutes to post the Pig score - Wendy did the same at front of their North stand.
Sometimes the guy would post the wrong score for a laugh before rectifying it - of course if he did it today someone would take legal action against him.

38 years ago today 20th July 1975...

You certainly earn some brownie points if you went to this one.

L'Etoile Sportive v United at Sousse, Tunisia

A match that Ken Furphy would later blame for his demise and the clubs fortunes. United had been invited to play the opening match at a new stadium in Sousse, Tunisia. Furphy was against it, claiming that the players weren't properly conditioned. But the Club, accepted because it was £10,000 to them. In the event, United lost 4-1, Tony Field scoring our goal, in front of 10,000. Furphy blamed this fixture for the fact that a number of players were carrying injuries for the start of the season.
The rest is history, from european contenders to relegation certainties in a matter of months..

Team: Brown, Badger, Bradford, Eddy, Faulkner, Hemsley, Woodward, Speight, Guthrie, Currie, Field
Subs: Dearden, Hill, Furphy (Keith)
View attachment 6050
This is where I'm staying this week, old lad in one of the shops saw my shirt earlier and told me the story of the whole day!

Back
Top Bottom